Walking with giants, incardona

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Back in the day of the Hustlers there were a few here and there that stood out like Bill Incardona.

I really didn't care for the guy at the time! LOL.

But to Bill's credit I was just envious of him because he was one of those mid-evil bullies of the day at the game of nine ball.

The guy was about 5ft. 7 or so and really built like a welter weight fighter, in fact I heard he did a little boxing back in his youth.

He could have been a fashion model, he was so chiseled in his body you could see every muscle in his chest and arms and was devastatingly handsome fellow.

What few times I seen him was at Johnston City or Las Vegas at the Stardust tourneys.

He was always at the center of action whether he played or not. he was always dressed well and was as brash and bold as any player I've ever seen, some what cocky at times, but a lot of us were. LOL

His cockiness was backed up by an amazing ability to run racks of nine ball as good as I've seen to date!

Absolutely no one would have to ask him twice to play some even nine ball for whatever!

No doubt he played all games well, but his nine ball game stood out in a time of mid evil niners.

I still shiver at the thought of trying to play him even nine ball, would rather have a tooth pulled, LOL.

We never played back in the day and it doesn't bother me one bit!
LOL. He really and truly was a Monster and had no fear.

I hated the guy even though I didn't know him, go figure.

He was built like a brick sh-thouse, was very handsome, very bold personality and I never really wanted to test this guy, very rare breed.

Everyone on this site needs to read this little story about Mr. Bill Incardona for he is Legend and that's just the way it is! He was on a short list of the best nine ball players whomever played.

I still hate him today because it's people like him that keeps me out of the conversation of great nine ball players of pool room lore.

I tip my hat to you Bill for you have Walked with Giants and held your head high!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Great tribute to Mr "Cardone"! It seems like the Dr. was in during those days....and the Dr. is still in today.

I was lucky enough to watch Bill practice on a snooker table at the Rack a few times. It was awesome. My game went up 2 balls after watching, but unfortunately it only lasted about 3 hours. :)

Thanks for your time writing this up.

Dave

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keith
even tho most of us on the site know of his high place among the legends of pool
your admiration and respect from a peer from that time
just gives some more validation of his place among the champions
thanks for the thread
larry

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
nice post as always, keep em coming!

I remember watching him play on tv a little bit and even moreso on his commenting. And growing up around the pool room, all of my heroes and mentors knew who Dr. Bill was and back up pretty much everything said here.

I don't know how chiseled his chest was but I do know that he will always be known for being one of if not the best 9 ball player in the world at one time for years...

Thanks for hanging out Dr. Bill, your knowledge and experience sure has helped a lot of us who are trying to be better players. I personally appreciate what you have done and continue to do for this great game!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Liscotti/Billy

Liscotti/Billy

He also knew how to ''work it'', and guys like Rempe and Marino, why go there? He managed his way thru pool room life in an organized manner, in an environment that was just the opposite. A different kind of ''fatman'', a different kind of RA. His Afro was better than the Beards ''glasses'' and Cole Dixon needed weight. He was part Liscotti. I'm not sure which one would of won their 10 ahead 9 ball match, would of been fun to watch but if it did take place, it would of been in someones home.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Back in the day of the Hustlers there were a few here and there that stood out like Bill Incardona.

I really didn't care for the guy at the time! LOL.

But to Bill's credit I was just envious of him because he was one of those mid-evil bullies of the day at the game of nine ball.

The guy was about 5ft. 7 or so and really built like a welter weight fighter, in fact I heard he did a little boxing back in his youth.

He could have been a fashion model, he was so chiseled in his body you could see every muscle in his chest and arms and was devastatingly handsome fellow.

What few times I seen him was at Johnston City or Las Vegas at the Stardust tourneys.

He was always at the center of action whether he played or not. he was always dressed well and was as brash and bold as any player I've ever seen, some what cocky at times, but a lot of us were. LOL

His cockiness was backed up by an amazing ability to run racks of nine ball as good as I've seen to date!

Absolutely no one would have to ask him twice to play some even nine ball for whatever!

No doubt he played all games well, but his nine ball game stood out in a time of mid evil niners.

I still shiver at the thought of trying to play him even nine ball, would rather have a tooth pulled, LOL.

We never played back in the day and it doesn't bother me one bit!
LOL. He really and truly was a Monster and had no fear.

I hated the guy even though I didn't know him, go figure.

He was built like a brick sh-thouse, was very handsome, very bold personality and I never really wanted to test this guy, very rare breed.

Everyone on this site needs to read this little story about Mr. Bill Incardona for he is Legend and that's just the way it is! He was on a short list of the best nine ball players whomever played.

I still hate him today because it's people like him that keeps me out of the conversation of great nine ball players of pool room lore.

I tip my hat to you Bill for you have Walked with Giants and held your head high!

Thanks Squirrel, I would like to think that I was as good as you say but there were times when I was and times when I wasn't. I did play some of the best 9ball anyone could play in the early 70's and I would like to thank you for reminding me of the happiest days of my life, now I can only talk a good game but i'm ok with that because I still believe i'm somewhat relevant and that matters a lot to me. Thanks for the tribute, and you were a monster yourself Squirrel. ;)

Back to reality. SHIT!!:(

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
So Billy tell us, you and Liscotti, did you two Hook Up? And how'd it play out?

Lisciotti was actually a straight pool player his 9ball game was strong but not as strong as his straight pool. Larry and I were good friends we never played but we did make several road trips together.

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Billy how did you compare your self to Searcy/Boom Boom/and Wade? All these men I had seen in my earlier dayz. And Of course in the mix was Mataya at times.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
At one time Bill I. was the best 9ball player in the world. He was, and still is, a fun guy to be around, and he's got a great sense of humor. It's too bad he's a Sagittarius , but there's nothing he can do about that..;) He managed to make himself a good career and is a success in life. Very few of the guys from that era had his smarts and his desire to succeed.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
At one time Bill I. was the best 9ball player in the world.
He was, and still is, a fun guy to be around, and he's got a great sense of humor.
It's too bad he's a Sagittarius , but there's nothing he can do about that..;)
He managed to make himself a good career and is a success in life. Very few of the guys from that era had his smarts and his desire to succeed.

Don't forget.............the hair :).

For almost two hrs now....been....
Listening to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers on/off working on the car, gettin it ready to head west to see my 4th grandchild/Manhattan Beach. Gonna play Helfert some banks at his home, I need a ball :).

I'm sure BI.... impressed the brothers in the black pool rooms with his Afro, probably stirred up some interesting conversation comin' thru the door. I went once, to a black pool room in E. St. Louis....got out with the dough, but not w/o incident. 1969

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Before he got his Doctorate and renamed his self, he was known as " Nine ball billy" almost all the champs walked very quitely around him.

Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
I've never seen Billy play 9-ball, but I've heard from at least 5 or 6 people over the years that he was the best 9-ball player in the 70's. As for Lisciotti, I've never seen him play until the other day when I came across this Youtube video. The man is clearly a phenomenal player possessed of a beautiful stroke and a keen mind for the game.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Why does Billy play one pocket if he is a champion 9 ball player? I think I know why. It was 1970, or 1971, the very first time I seen Billy. It was in a Cicero, Illinois 24-hour pool room that had a bunch of Gold Crowns that sported tough pockets and lively cushions. Billy was on the road at that time with Jimmy Mataya who was another fantastic player. Everyone said that Billy was from Pittsburgh and the best 9 ball "money player" in the country. "Pittsburgh Billy" was around the Cicero pool room scene for several weeks and he never missed a ball. I think that went on throughout the 70's where he never missed a ball and when he finally did miss a ball he immediately switched to one-pocket. Now you know why he plays one pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I've never seen Billy play 9-ball, but I've heard from at least 5 or 6 people over the years that he was the best 9-ball player in the 70's. As for Lisciotti, I've never seen him play until the other day when I came across this Youtube video. The man is clearly a phenomenal player possessed of a beautiful stroke and a keen mind for the game.

that was entertaining peter...thanks for the link
the carom shot out of the stack that lisciotti found and executed perfectly was a terrific shot
i dont watch much straight pool
i probably should

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Billy, you proved that deep down you still have it when you want/need it. Your session at Bogies a few years back against Baby Huey (Jerry Matchin) was a display of tenacity, skill and heart very few pool players have at all, let alone carry it into their 70’s. After losing the first two Sr. One Pocket tournaments, they lowered the age limit and you dug in and won a grueling battle that lasted hours against a very good younger player. Both you and Jerry fought hard to win that match and left it all on the table.

baby huey

Verified Member
John, thanks a lot for bringing up that match with Dr. Bill. He just outclassed me. And, that's one thing Bill possesses is CLASS.