Bank Pool Tournament (May 11th, 2013) @ Red Shoes Billiards (Illinois)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Red Shoes Billiards will be hosting a BANK POOL TOURNAMENT on Saturday May 11th, 2013. This is a $50 entry fee (green fee included), ***$500 ADDED*** (based on a full field), double elimination (race to 23 balls-both sides), ONE DAY ("Iron Man") event. For Additional Information CONTACT: John Lavin @ Red Shoes Billiards 12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip, Illinois 60803 (tel.708-388-3700 or website: redshoesbilliards.com). SIGN-UP: 12:00 PM (Noon)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
I have a business partner (John Zaksas) who, years ago was one of the better players in the mid-west. Whenever he played...he always wore Red Shoes...so in the mid 90's....when we were picking a name....it seemed "unique" enough (plus we designed a nice LOGO....if you have ever seen it).... It was about "positioning" in a crowded market place. My reasoning was if we used one of the standardized pool room names (CORNER POCKET, SIDE POCKET, GOLDEN 8 BALL, GOLDEN 9 BALL, FELT this VELVET that etc..etc..). We would be confused with a number of other locations throughout the US with similar names. "IF" you say "Red Shoes Billiards" in most "action" rooms in the US...The response is not...."Which One"?....It's "Those SOBs in Chicago"....EUREKA it worked!

Rich93

I have a business partner (John Zaksas) who, years ago was one of the better players in the mid-west. Whenever he played...he always wore Red Shoes...so in the mid 90's....when we were picking a name....it seemed "unique" enough (plus we designed a nice LOGO....if you have ever seen it).... It was about "positioning" in a crowded market place. My reasoning was if we used one of the standardized pool room names (CORNER POCKET, SIDE POCKET, GOLDEN 8 BALL, GOLDEN 9 BALL, FELT this VELVET that etc..etc..). We would be confused with a number of other locations throughout the US with similar names. "IF" you say "Red Shoes Billiards" in most "action" rooms in the US...The response is not...."Which One"?....It's "Those SOBs in Chicago"....EUREKA it worked!

Here's that famous logo:

banner 2.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

The original shoes John Zazsas wore were supposed to have been made especially for pool players. I forgot the brand name, but they were semi-popular for awhile. I think I even had a pair. One of the shoe colors was bright red and that was the shoe that Zazsas wore from then on (even tho the company has been defunct for at least 20 years). He wears them to this day and I just wonder where the hell he gets them. He couldnt possibly still have the original shoes from 20 or more years ago could he?

Beard

I will play saturday.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John, the last one went all night into the next morning. So they're probably all still sleeping it off!:D We'll probably hear something by this evening...

Doc

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
results

results

Ain't no "sleeping" when you own a pool room....RESULTS: 1st Mark Jarvis, 2nd John Rawski, 3rd Eric Hincks, 4th John Demet, 5th-6th Jeff Jones/John Phillips

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I played in the tourn and won my first 2 matches with the same score 23 to 10. While neither of my 2 opponents was a favorite to win the thing, I was playing pretty decent. My 3rd match was to be against Mark Jarvis, the eventual winner. I chose to forfeit and go to dinner with George Pawelski and get a pizza.

That forfeit was the first one for me in my whole life. That should tell you something about my feelings toward Jarvis. I have not talked to him and have avoided all contact for 25 years. There is only one other human that elicits those kind of hateful feelings in me. It shouldnt be too hard to guess who that other person would be.

If I had known he was going to be in it, I wouldnt have played in the first place. The fact that he also plays so good and is the favorite to beat me anyway, coupled with the cheating and false claims of kisses and fouls that he spews out on a regular basis.

I had to get out of there because I didnt want to start any trouble in Lanvin and Zazsas' poolroom. The fact that a guy from my old neighborhood was in there -- a very formidable man -- and he said for me to go ahead and do whatever I felt like doing -- was another good reason for me to get out of there and not tempt fate.

I am not going to bore everybody with Jarvis's "rap sheet," those who know him are well aware of his proclivities.

That is my story. I dont know if I could have lasted until 5am like I did last time anyway.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Good.....

Good.....

....move Freddie,at our age its hard but its best to shine em on.I know exactly how you feel as I never minded going to war either.......cheers,James

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Understand exactly what you mean Freddie. Guy in this area will scream foul almost before you start your pre shot routine. Don't blame you for not wanting to be around an AH like that.

See ya at Tunica, Pel