scott needs weight

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
What kind of "toll" do you think Scott having to fade Alex in an 8 ahead will put on Scott?:D

...Listen, more often than NOT a players game will be "off" by 2 and a half balls and they won't even know it. 8 to 7 is nothing, it's quite possible that Pagula ya could give him 10 to 8 and win , not saying that Frost needs it. There r so many variables in spotting. 10 to 8 is nothing 8/7 does not weigh heavy on anyone and 9/8 is surely meaningless. Yes, even at this level. People get too hung up on spots. Chicago Bugs and Allen Hopkins would offer "a ball to everybody, it meant nothing, it was to get them to gamble.Dont get hung up on a spot.

If Alex beats him in the 8 ahead ; and for argument sake Alex collects the money, why wouldn't he give him 10 to 8 to get him back to the table for 5 , 10 or 20K more?*

Alex beat him at the US Open(I think 2013 , he beat him down in Arizona or Texas in another tourney OnTheRail put this up. He then *beat him for the 10K they each put up.*

How many more examples are necessary to site? There is a phenomena that exists in pool (many have heard of it) player A beats player B regularly and player B beats player C with ease, AND player C beats player A consistently. Lastly player C cannot defeat player B and player A for whatever reason cannot win against player C.

I have seen it a hundred times.

I don't care who wins, but Alex seems to have his number.*

cheers

Jimmy B

Verified Member
fours hours and no replies?

Sup Tony?. Haven't seen you in a while. I was going to reply but I got to watching the No Limit Millionaire Maker event at the WSOP. But I know what you are saying. Some pool players big scores come when they break down a player and then spot them more or sometimes much more than their normal games would warrant. I think this was Bug's forte. Did Straw do this? It's gonna be good....

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Been pretty quiet most of the day.

I tend to agree with you that a ball is less between top players than most people think, but some people who disagree with us are some of what I consider the best minds in the game... starting with Incardona.

You're also right about the effect of playing styles on match-ups. We've seen enough of it to know it's real, but I really don't understand it. I think I can "explain" it about as well as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd really buy my own explanation. :p

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Power one pocket is in Scotts nature. When he gets that going, any, every shot is going in. But can he get it going? With the breaks they have between matches, the JJ game has no bearing. The thing about all pool players is the instant forgetfullness we have about bad shots, bad games, and i expect Scott has this going also.
All I know about Alex is: he played the most perfect one pocket execution, demonstration of speed, exacting cue ball positioning, and ball pocketing I have ever seen at the DCC on the TV table. It is something I could watch everyday, the perfection of it. Will Alex continue his perfection?
Who is in the winners seat?

onepockethacker

Verified Member

I always here this.. 9 to 8 is nothing in one pocket for these guys or spotting a guy the 8 in 9 ball doesnt mean anything... WELL.. If the spot shows up once very 4 hours its the difference of losing an 8 ahead and and breaking even in a 16 hour session. The spots do show up whether people realize it or not... plus the spot can make you change how you play a certain shot or game.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Sometimes in a tough match, we take ourselves too seriously. This is what I think Dr. Bill was alluding to earlier re: Scott's chances of winning. Sometimes you just have to think back to your early beginnings playing pool and why you enjoy playing pool period. If you can get back to those earlier times mentally then you have a chance to really enjoy the "moment" and "be in the moment." That's the mental part of the game which we try to ZEN into but have so much difficulty doing. I just want a competitive match where these two great players play at each other and both play their best games.

I have a friend who plays in Detroit and Flint a lot. He's a real good player and has won the one handed one pocket at DCC before. Years ago, Scott came through Detroit and was looking for action. Dave, my friend, was willing to play for 1k but wanted weight. Scott had asked locals if they thought Scott could give Dave 11/8. They all told him that would be a tight match. When Dave told me about this he said, "What is Scott's weakness? His ego, right?" So Dave asked for 12/8 and beat Scott out of all his money.

SCOTT'S WEAKNESS IS HIS EGO!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Sometimes what looks like big ego can really be an attempt to deny self-doubt. It's really hard to tell the difference.

If it's really big ego, strong self-image, it breeds thoughts like "I deserve to win," and "I've got the nuts on this guy," both of which IMO make playing one's best more likely.

"This guy is so lucky!" and "Why do I get so many bad rolls?" come from a different place and can't help.

Column A or Column B? :confused:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I have a friend who plays in Detroit and Flint a lot. He's a real good player and has won the one handed one pocket at DCC before. Years ago, Scott came through Detroit and was looking for action. Dave, my friend, was willing to play for 1k but wanted weight. Scott had asked locals if they thought Scott could give Dave 11/8. They all told him that would be a tight match. When Dave told me about this he said, "What is Scott's weakness? His ego, right?" So Dave asked for 12/8 and beat Scott out of all his money.

And his strength: POWER ONE POCKET
If Scott gets going, the going gets tough for his opponents. In the $20K match, Scott made poor decisions early and he never recovered. Did he learn his lesson? Scott is very intelligent, he's an elephant who doesn't forget. Alex tightens his game towards the end trying to play perfect and sometimes when he doesn't, he blows up. We have all seen it.
Alex 6-5 favorite.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't know how often Lenny checks in, but he would be able to report the won-lost record for all prior Frost/Pagulayan gambling contests. Might be interesting....:cool:

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
...Listen, more often than NOT a players game will be "off" by 2 and a half balls and they won't even know it. 8 to 7 is nothing, it's quite possible that Pagula ya could give him 10 to 8 and win , not saying that Frost needs it. There r so many variables in spotting. 10 to 8 is nothing 8/7 does not weigh heavy on anyone and 9/8 is surely meaningless. Yes, even at this level. People get too hung up on spots. Chicago Bugs and Allen Hopkins would offer "a ball to everybody, it meant nothing, it was to get them to gamble.Dont get hung up on a spot.

If Alex beats him in the 8 ahead ; and for argument sake Alex collects the money, why wouldn't he give him 10 to 8 to get him back to the table for 5 , 10 or 20K more?*

Alex beat him at the US Open(I think 2013 , he beat him down in Arizona or Texas in another tourney OnTheRail put this up. He then *beat him for the 10K they each put up.*

How many more examples are necessary to site? There is a phenomena that exists in pool (many have heard of it) player A beats player B regularly and player B beats player C with ease, AND player C beats player A consistently. Lastly player C cannot defeat player B and player A for whatever reason cannot win against player C.

I have seen it a hundred times.

I don't care who wins, but Alex seems to have his number.*

cheers

tony
nice to see you posting again.....:)
larry

Bobbytworails

Verified Member
What size pockets are they playing on? If close to 4-4.5 Alex is a 3-2 favorite. FOR SURE!

baby huey

Verified Member
I'll take Scott betting by the game even up no ball spot. Just lay me 11/10 and we are down.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Its funny I keep thinking of Efren. He never had to say "Im the best one pocket player in the world". We just would look at the rafters and see all the flags with his name on it proclaiming his annual championship.
The words "I GOT LUCKY." resounds even much louder now.

Only a few have come close to Efren as a Champion and Human being.

Bobbytworails

Verified Member
3-2 is what I think it should be on the match, naturally that kind of a line by the game won't hold up. Scotts a great player as we all know but it just seems that Alex does everything a bit better and his cue ball and pocket speed put him in a class by himself. Sure Scott can win if everything is working but as I said if the table is tight as it should be, Bet Alex! Alex can win at 90%, Scott needs to be at 100%. How many time have you played a big match for the cheese, against a monster at 100%

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Does anyone know if they have a daily time limit on their play?
In poker matches it's typically around 12 hours of play per day.
What's typical in pool? Anybody know?