Top two topics for the next best book

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
You open a new book on One Pocket; Of all the topics discussed within, what would be the top two chapters you would wish to find which would help to make you the best player you can be.

Tom

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
1.How to stay focused without using drugs.{Betting more may sometimes help but is not the answer.}
It can't be just some psychological mumbo jumbo , or self hypnosis type stuff for me , I've done all that.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Top two topics for the next best book

I think a chapter with various scenarios, and then discussions on the best options and why. (Like our wwyd's).

Maybe a cheaper on moving, or the 10 best traps that you could put someone in.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
How to tilt the rack to make a ball on the break and how to steal eggs out of your opponents nest when he is not looking:D:D:lol:lol

stedyfred

Verified Member
I think that a champion player's approach to answering the break can improve a decent player's game about a ball in a relatively short period of time. Nice topic and surely better than some of the negative keyboard comments that have appeared on the forum lately. I prefer to remain a LURKER lol.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
2 topics

2 topics

I think one chapter on shots/moves every one pocket player should know. Have this chapter break down the common shots that always come up in one pocket. Then detail example scenarios, how to shoot the shot, common mistakes and how to fix the mistakes. This could be simple safeties that the great players do so well, escape shots, and such.

Another chapter should be What Would You Do. These could be taken into detail with diagrams of what the situation is. What the shot the pro took and how they shot it, but more importantly is other options that us 'non pro's' could execute and how to execute them. With this you could have before and after diagrams/pictures, pro's/con's, and strategy tips for each of the shots.

bstroud

Verified Member
Tom,

This is a great subject.

I think the first line of any book on one pocket should be "First read Sun Tzus' THE ART OF WAR".

Bill S.

RedCard

Verified Member

Tom,

This is a great subject.

I think the first line of any book on one pocket should be "First read Sun Tzus' THE ART OF WAR".

Bill S.

The 'Inner Game of Tennis' has many things that can transfer to the more noble sport of pool. I read it when it first came out and it might have actually helped my pool game. Shortly after that I went to the dark side anyway, finding cards and such physically cleaner, less demanding and more profitable. Sun-tzu's Art of War, Timothy Gallwey's 'Inner Game of Tennis' and Machiavelli's 'The Prince' all have insights that can benefit those who compete with others, whether on a serious level or just for whatever psychic benefits they get from winning.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I really like the format of SMS, with top players commenting on table layouts and shots.

I would like to see a section of WWYDs dedicating to taking intentionals.

I would also turn right to top players own stories of how they matched up, what was going on in their head, how they dealt with pressure and adversity, how they strategically deal with giving up weight and their tips and tricks for gaining an edge.

At any rate, my main point is this: For maximum entertainment and readability, the book should cover BOTH the strategy side of one pocket (shots, moves) and the personalities that are involved in the gambling and matching up.

I think the well-trodden path blazed by Eddie Robin and the Beard are perfect as is. If you wanted to improve the education part, maybe put in the multi-rail kicking lanes and a discussion of 50/30.

Also, you could methodically go over each type of break, how to do it properly, advantages and disadvantages, etc.

What would I turn to first? That's easy - the stories!

Thinking of writing a book, Tom? What has become of Artie's book endeavors?

bstroud

Verified Member
I have thought about writing a book on one pocket many times.

The questions are:

What level of player would you address? The shot for an advanced player could be the wrong choice for an intermediate player.

How would you present the content? Diagrams? Youtube? DVD?
Each format has advantages and disavantages.

I have run several one pocket classes that lasted for weeks. I always passed out diagrams of the shot to be studied each session. Diagrams worked well but I was always there to explain the possible variations.

The score is always the most important thing but confidence sometimes trumps everything. How would you explain that to a less confident player?

Then there is the Dirty Harry factor. Do you feel lucky?

Can anyone really explain the odds in any given situation?
For most of us it is an educated guess. Try and explain that to someone.

War stories are interesting but many of the best have been written about before.

How large would the audience be? Would it be worth the effort?

There are many other questions to be considered before one would even consider writing a book.

Bill S.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
How to tilt the rack to make a ball on the break and how to steal eggs out of your opponents nest when he is not looking:D:D:lol:lol

As far as tilting the rack it should be pretty easy to get away with it. Just make sure you're playing a guy who's cross-eyed.

Stealing eggs----a half naked Playboy bunny should be distraction enough for that.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I think that a champion player's approach to answering the break can improve a decent player's game about a ball in a relatively short period of time. Nice topic and surely better than some of the negative keyboard comments that have appeared on the forum lately. I prefer to remain a LURKER lol.

Agreed Fred,

Nuff said, and thanks.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I think one chapter on shots/moves every one pocket player should know. Have this chapter break down the common shots that always come up in one pocket. Then detail example scenarios, how to shoot the shot, common mistakes and how to fix the mistakes. This could be simple safeties that the great players do so well, escape shots, and such.

Another chapter should be What Would You Do. These could be taken into detail with diagrams of what the situation is. What the shot the pro took and how they shot it, but more importantly is other options that us 'non pro's' could execute and how to execute them. With this you could have before and after diagrams/pictures, pro's/con's, and strategy tips for each of the shots.

All good ideas, thanks.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom,

This is a great subject.

Bill S.

Bill, That is a great read for any aspiring One Pocket player. One Pocket IS a war and his maxims for war fit perfectly with the game of One Pocket.

Good call, Bill.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
The 'Inner Game of Tennis' has many things that can transfer to the more noble sport of pool. I read it when it first came out and it might have actually helped my pool game. Shortly after that I went to the dark side anyway, finding cards and such physically cleaner, less demanding and more profitable. Sun-tzu's Art of War, Timothy Gallwey's 'Inner Game of Tennis' and Machiavelli's 'The Prince' all have insights that can benefit those who compete with others, whether on a serious level or just for whatever psychic benefits they get from winning.

Red Card, "The inner game of tennis is a terrific book dealing with the psychology of sports. Many of the principles which Tim uses for golfers are equally useful for us pool players. Thanks.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I really like the format of SMS, with top players commenting on table layouts and shots.

I would like to see a section of WWYDs dedicating to taking intentionals.

I would also turn right to top players own stories of how they matched up, what was going on in their head, how they dealt with pressure and adversity, how they strategically deal with giving up weight and their tips and tricks for gaining an edge.

At any rate, my main point is this: For maximum entertainment and readability, the book should cover BOTH the strategy side of one pocket (shots, moves) and the personalities that are involved in the gambling and matching up.

I think the well-trodden path blazed by Eddie Robin and the Beard are perfect as is. If you wanted to improve the education part, maybe put in the multi-rail kicking lanes and a discussion of 50/30.

Also, you could methodically go over each type of break, how to do it properly, advantages and disadvantages, etc.

What would I turn to first? That's easy - the stories!

Thinking of writing a book, Tom? What has become of Artie's book endeavors?

Straightback, Don't you think SMS and WOP have covered the systems well enough. And as far as the stories I don't think we can do much better than the Beard's new book "The encyclopedia of pool hustlers" SB, if you haven't picked up the Beards book yet and you want to read several great stories about pool hustlers, you need to get this book.

I agree that there is room for a good book dealing with the strategic and psychological side to One Pocket.

Thanks SB, much appreciated.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I have thought about writing a book on one pocket many times.

The questions are:

What level of player would you address? The shot for an advanced player could be the wrong choice for an intermediate player.

How would you present the content? Diagrams? Youtube? DVD?
Each format has advantages and disavantages.

I have run several one pocket classes that lasted for weeks. I always passed out diagrams of the shot to be studied each session. Diagrams worked well but I was always there to explain the possible variations.

The score is always the most important thing but confidence sometimes trumps everything. How would you explain that to a less confident player?

Then there is the Dirty Harry factor. Do you feel lucky?

Can anyone really explain the odds in any given situation?
For most of us it is an educated guess. Try and explain that to someone.

War stories are interesting but many of the best have been written about before.

How large would the audience be? Would it be worth the effort?

There are many other questions to be considered before one would even consider writing a book.

Bill S.

Bill, you raise all good points. I think the best audience would be players who all have fairly strong shooting and cue ball control skills but lacking in strategic understanding and problem solving talent.

The rest could be worked somewhat in the same way as our wwyd threads.

Thanks Bill, Your input is much appreciated.

Tom

GriffinG

Verified Member
From
NW Indiana
1. Answering the break
2. Risk vs Reward

While I've only been playing the game for less than a year now (completely addicted by the way), I find that there are SOOO many parts of the game that can be considered a "leak" and I've been focusing on learning how to plug those leaks a little at a time. These are 2 of the biggest potential leaks I've noticed in my own game right off the bat, and therefore I figure would be a valuable area of investment for other new players.

Just my 2 cents!

bstroud

Verified Member
Tom,

Thanks for the kind words.

One pocket and pool in general is really based on how many balls pocketed, how many hours studying each game and how much personal ability and dedication each person has.

You are not going to learn to play well from any book.

What you can learn from a book or DVD is a specific solution to a situation you are not familiar with. Much of this has been covered with books already in print.

Perhaps a one pocket book devoted one particular aspect would be worthwhile.

For me at least that would be how to practice for one pocket. I live in an isolated area with no players near my ability and have a very difficult time preparing myself to play one pocket.

One pocket IS War and does not lend itself to solitary practice. I practice straight pool (for close position) 10 ball (for building confidence on harder shots) bank pool (again for confidence) and a few one pocket shots like removing balls.

I practice breaking and running balls in one pocket, all kinds of drills for running balls in difficult situations and those difficult lag banks from off the rail.

All of these exercises help but it is not the same as being in action in a real game.

I believe the essence of one pocket is all about leverage and that is why it is so difficult to play against ones' self. Your brain already knows the strategy you have planned so it just doesn't work against yourself. You can shoot the shots but you are just going through the motions. It's nothing like the real thing.

If you could come up with someway to practice one pocket alone that worked for the better player, I would buy the first copy.

I practice 6 to 8 hours every day and when I get in a real match it still takes me some time to adjust to a real world situation.

I long for the time when I was hustling pool full time and was ready to go with the first break.

Bill S.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
You open a new book on One Pocket; Of all the topics discussed within, what would be the top two chapters you would wish to find which would help to make you the best player you can be.

Tom

Chapter 1: How to keep creeps with no money from offering to play you even one-pocket for $10,000.

Chapter 2: How to entice those same creeps into playing even one-pocket on a snooker table.

That'll do it for me.

Dennis