Why Do Philippine Players Learn One Pocket So Fast?

One Pocket Ghost said:
Ok, I've been meaning to address this extremely inaccurate age-card that you've been dealing to me for awhile now - you're off by 10 years or more - I'm in my 60's, not my 50's...:eek:...I just look younger...:)...

I'm sure you can do basic math...I was playing pool down in Bensingers' back when Freddy and Artie were playing there in the 60's...and some months back I posted up my hippie picture to show Clare...it was a pic taken of me at the house around the corner from Ye Billiard Den in L.A. where I was living at that time - it was taken in 1968 - 42 1/2 years ago - I'm of drinking age in the pic - do the math...:rolleyes:...I'm only slightly younger than Artie and Billy...:eek:

- Ghosty

PS, I needed to get that reality out there since I'm sure some members on here were thinking..."Oh that young, predatory, unscrupulous Ghost is taking advantage of poor old septuagenarian Papie".....:rolleyes:

Yep, I confirm seeing that pic of Ghosty. He was one hot hippie. Now, he's just about through going through menopause. Luv ya, Ghostie.

Clare

timdog24

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I have tried, and have managed to, help people to play better on this site. How about you? You have also pissed all over the stories and pool history that I try to provide, and would you believe it, many people are really interested in hearing. Can you point to anything you have contributed, to helping someone learn pool or onepocket? Anybody want to chime in here on his side? Please include the particular lesson so we can all benefit.

I believe some of the guys would like sometimes to ask a question or inquire further about a player, a time or an event, on a lot of the stories and events I relate, but they are reluctant to do so because you immediately chime in like a big drunken clod and smear the post.

I'd like to bet that some people would like to know more about Efren, Parica and Luat's time in Chicago when they first came over from the Phillipines. Can you enlighten them about such things? If not, why dont you take a sneak and leave my post's the f*ck alone?

Beard

I usually would never get in the middle of everybody's 2 favorite one pocket soap opera stars, but Freddy, you can't say that Dick hasn't been an insightful and helpful poster. And it's a little silly to ask guys to provide examples. But, I thought his post (#4) in this thread was on the money. I know ALWAYS matching up well has stagnated my growth as a pool player. I think that's why it might be long time before you see another champion come out of NY.

Anyway, you both are a big part of this forum and are insightful in your own ways. By the way, I'm definitely one of the guys that would really enjoy hearing about Efren/Parica/Luat's stint in Chicago.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
I can attest to Freddy's claim of teaching Efren onepocket. I was working the counter at the Chgo Billiard Cafe at that time and I guarantee that Efren's first real bout with one pocket was with Fred. As Fred said they played for weeks and Efren learned a lot in that period of time. I know people want to laugh at the thought that Freddy was teaching the perhaps the greatest one pocket player of all time, but that was definately the case. Of course Efren isn't ashamed of giving Freddy his due props, 'cause that's just the way Efren rolls.

Phil Welch (I witnessed it with my own eyes).

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
I have tried, and have managed to, help people to play better on this site. How about you? You have also pissed all over the stories and pool history that I try to provide, and would you believe it, many people are really interested in hearing. Can you point to anything you have contributed, to helping someone learn pool or onepocket? Anybody want to chime in here on his side? Please include the particular lesson so we can all benefit.

I believe some of the guys would like sometimes to ask a question or inquire further about a player, a time or an event, on a lot of the stories and events I relate, but they are reluctant to do so because you immediately chime in like a big drunken clod and smear the post.

Beard

Fred,

I find it amazing how you have morphed from an admitted, hard core, Detroit Whitey loving, take no prisoner type, pool hustler...into "Kindly Old Uncle Fred", mentor to ALL billiard stars, both great and small... he has ever come in contact with.
Then, (sometimes even in the same post)...you regale us with the fact that they are on your "beat list"...So some may be confused. What are you, the "worlds greatest pool hustler," or "the worlds greatest mentor" ??? (I suppose, knowing you, you are both)

Everyone likes to hear your stories, including me. But good God man, they would be just as enjoyable (much moreso actually) WITHOUT the incessant "back patting" and endless self-promotion that for some reason you CANNOT complete a sentence without.

You childishly lash out at me, in most of your posts, about my credibility, (or lack therof) about anything pool related. Thankfully, I don't feel the obsessive compulsion to point out all my successes, or failures...either as a pool player or as a human being.

I am sure you will fire both barrells, at the following PM I rec'd yesterday. Just so you know...it is one of dozens of PM's I have recieved, from respected forum member's, (some, even from YOUR neck of the woods).... every time we get into a verbal slugfest.
Here is just one example. I will have to 'cut and paste' to keep the senders name in confidence. I will also swear on dear old mom's grave...not one word is edited. All the ones I have on the subject, are in a similar vein. (although some are not quite as kind spirited)

Yesterday, 12:21PM

funny stuff...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's hillarious Dick...Somehow I think most everyone that read the Beard's post thought the same thing but only you had the balls to post it...

I kinda like the old "blowhard" and I appreciate what he has done for pool and banking in particular... but man....he has really got a complex...doesn't he?

Why can't he just accept and be content that he was a fair banker and a great relayer "writer" of banking motions....?

I don't want to make enemies so I keep my thoughts to myself....Keep up the good work and entertainment...

> end of post <

I don't know why I care enough to waste all this ink, on someone who will NEVER read one of his own posts and say "Boy, I did come on a little strong there, didn't I"?... You may be the only human being I've ever met, that does not have ONE F-ING OUNCE of humility or regret in his body. So I don't look for my attitude towards you,...or yours toward me, to change very much in the near future.

Have a nice day Fred,

Big Drunken Clod <---I like my newest handle from you, better than the "Steamy" thingy...Thanks so much [sic]

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dozens and dozens of supportive PM's

Dozens and dozens of supportive PM's

SJDinPHX said:
Fred,

I find it amazing how you have morphed from an admitted, hard core, Detroit Whitey loving, take no prisoner type, pool hustler...into "Kindly Old Uncle Fred", mentor to ALL billiard stars, both great and small... he has ever come in contact with.
Then, (sometimes even in the same post)...you regale us with the fact that they are on your "beat list"...So some may be confused. What are you, the "worlds greatest pool hustler," or "the worlds greatest mentor" ??? (I suppose, knowing you, you are both)

Everyone likes to hear your stories, including me. But good God man, they would be just as enjoyable (much moreso actually) WITHOUT the incessant "back patting" and endless self-promotion that for some reason you CANNOT complete a sentence without.

You childishly lash out at me, in most of your posts, about my credibility, (or lack therof) about anything pool related. Thankfully, I don't feel the obsessive compulsion to point out all my successes, or failures...either as a pool player or as a human being.

I am sure you will fire both barrells, at the following PM I rec'd yesterday. Just so you know...it is one of dozens of PM's I have recieved, from respected forum member's, (some, even from YOUR neck of the woods).... every time we get into a verbal slugfest.
Here is just one example. I will have to 'cut and paste' to keep the senders name in confidence. I will also swear on dear old mom's grave...not one word is edited. All the ones I have on the subject, are in a similar vein. (although some are not quite as kind spirited)

funny stuff...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's hillarious Dick...Somehow I think most everyone that read the Beard's post thought the same thing but only you had the balls to post it...

I kinda like the old "blowhard" and I appreciate what he has done for pool and banking in particular... but man....he has really got a complex...doesn't he?

Why can't he just accept and be content that he was a fair banker and a great relayer "writer" of banking motions....?

I don't want to make enemies so I keep my thoughts to myself....Keep up the good work and entertainment...

> end of post <

I don't know why I care enough to waste all this ink, on someone who will NEVER read one of his own posts and say "Boy, I did come on a little strong there, didn't I"?... You may be the only human being I've ever met, that does not have ONE F-ING OUNCE of humility or regret in his body. So I don't look for my attitude towards you,...or yours toward me, to change very much in the near future.

Have a nice day Fred,

Big Drunken Clod <---I like my newest handle from you, better than the "Steamy" thingy...Thanks so much [sic]

...Well, I certainly cant top that.
But the fact that so many people support you -- you claim -- can we construe that as a "brag?" How about this one, "Thankfully, I don't feel the obsessive compulsion to point out all my successes, or failures...either as a pool player or as a human being." Hmm. But your most recent posts spouted how much more valuable your life turned out over mine by you getting a lunch pail. That also included the Ronnie Allen testimony about you being the most wonderful lunch pail pool player on earth. Or how heroic you were in the old days when you wouldnt quit until you or he won the other guys car. And how many times have you brayed like the ass that you are, about being such a high roller?

You aint no "keeper of the truth," you're just a jealous, hypocritical knocker. Yeah sure, the "principled, expose" man. But have you noticed that there aint one other guy from our generation -- but you -- that has taken it on himself to turn publicly on another player from that generation? I take that back, there was one, Artie. But even he came to his senses, and realized he was being disloyal, and he lamented.

Now back to reality. Of course you completely ignored Phil Welch's post. Too much justification in there for you?

At DCC we will see how popular a truth policeman is. We will also get to see how "unbearable" me and my stories are, and how many players dont want to hang out with me because I wear on them. If I were you, to insure some acceptance, I would make sure I stayed close to a real person, John H. Now there's somebody that does carry the banner and legend of pool forward. In the post that you stuck your nose in, I was chiding John H. That was designed for a reply from him, not you. Him I cant get mad at. I cant even get mad enough at him to want to beat him. Years ago I could try and beat people that I liked, but I cant do it anymore.

How many supportive PM's did you get about welching on that $50 bet?

Beard

If my posts bother you so much, I would appreciate it if you wouldnt respond to them so diligently. Give somebody else a chance. You may have noticed, I dont give much of a sh*t what you have to say about anything, other that when you are confounding me. I almost never reply to your, "other than me" posts. Find another house to haunt.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
=fred bentivegna

Now back to reality. Of course you completely ignored Phil Welch's post. Too much justification in there for you?

How many supportive PM's did you get about welching on that $50 bet?

Beard

You are really grasping at straws now Fred. You are trying to "steam" me by constantly bringing up the old "welch" story. Anyone who was around back then, knows that YOU called the bet off, because you were pouting (as usual) because I jokingly "needled/accused" you of past posting. Dig up the thread if you want REALITY, and the TRUTH.

I have done quite a bit of online pool match gambling, with a lot of AZ guys,Corvette, Jay Helfert, and several others... Didn't always win, but you won't find one who will say I didn't pay...promptly.

As for more reality, I have pointed out, many times, that your main support group, of about 4-5 people, all come from the "Windy City" area. Strangely, its the same group who defend all of Artie's (almost indefensible) posts. Birds of a Feather...etc.
Have you forgotten, I took your side in that "dirty laundering" fiasco. I'm now wondering why I did.

You have been "sniping" at me, for some time now, in almost EVERY post, on EVERY subject... Every so often, I get enough and retaliate in kind....Until you cease and desist, don't expect me to.

The Drunken Duck (or "clod" if you prefer)

I am enclosing a pic, of the only time, at which you are not bragging about something....:cool:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
SJDinPHX said:
You are really grasping at straws now Fred. You are trying to "steam" me by constantly bringing up the old "welch" story. Anyone who was around back then, knows that YOU called the bet off, because you were pouting (as usual) because I jokingly "needled/accused" you of past posting. Dig up the thread if you want REALITY, and the TRUTH.

I have done quite a bit of online pool match gambling, with a lot of AZ guys,Corvette, Jay Helfert, and several others... Didn't always win, but you won't find one who will say I didn't pay...promptly.

As for more reality, I have pointed out, many times, that your main support group, of about 4-5 people, all come from the "Windy City" area. Strangely, its the same group who defend all of Artie's (almost indefensible) posts. Birds of a Feather...etc.
Have you forgotten, I took your side in that "dirty laundering" fiasco. I'm now wondering why I did.

You have been "sniping" at me, for some time now, in almost EVERY post, on EVERY subject... Every so often, I get enough and retaliate in kind....Until you cease and desist, don't expect me to.

I am enclosing a pic, of the only time, at which you are not bragging or bitching about something....:cool:

Here ya go Fred (but you probably brag in your sleep, huh ?)

http://onepocket.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1136&stc=1&d=1282326351

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member

:rolleyes: Skin

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:

funny stuff...

> end of post <

I know I'm a guy that tends to use periods a lot, as kind of a pause....., but it wasn't me that wrote that:D

Additionally, I also would never use the "great relayer "writer" of banking motions" line. I don't have that smooth of a language:eek:

Carry On guys! If I can somehow get to DCC this year, trust me guys... I'm going to get both of these guys drunk and by the time I"m done with 'em, they'll be hugging each other with a lingering hand on the shoulder, as they part ways.:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
CaliRed said:
I know I'm a guy that tends to use periods a lot, as kind of a pause....., but it wasn't me that wrote that:D

Additionally, I also would never use the "great relayer "writer" of banking motions" line. I don't have that smooth of a language:eek:

Carry On guys! If I can somehow get to DCC this year, trust me guys... I'm going to get both of these guys drunk and by the time I"m done with 'em, they'll be hugging each other with a lingering hand on the shoulder, as they part ways.:)

I'll make a BET on that NOT happening!!!!!!!!!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:

Since Freddy doesn't drink or do drugs anymore maybe we should just give them both a weapon of their choosing and let them meet on Main Street at High Noon:) . Here's your choices guys.
gungirltheo.jpg

Or maybe something more fitting:D
work_204348_12_flat,550x550,075,f_squirt-guns.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I did dig it up

I did dig it up

SJDinPHX said:

I did dig up the thread. Below shows that you admitted to owing $50 while shittily accusing me of past posting you. I called the rest of the bets off because I was brutally insulted by your pettiness. You said you were just "chiding," ok, but where then is the $50?

Official/Unofficial Galveston Update thread
9/11 2009 8:53 PM

Beardman, I would not accuse you of collusuion. However it is strange that Doc posted AFTER he got back to his room, at 3:pM...you posted at 2:33 PM, (just 27minutes prior) which leads me to believe I was probably "past posted".

However, gentleman that I am, I will accept being 2 pops down.(@ $25 per pop)
Now we come to the "Big Match"...I will verify your claim with John, and our action is still alive.

This internet pool wagering really sucks.

Official/Unofficial Galveston Update thread
9/12 2009 post # 15 8:12 AM

Dont pay me. The bet is off. All bets. I got 50 years in the underworld, do I really need to past post somebody for $50 to make a f'n bet?! I knew that kicking prop 40 years ago. Im really gonna stay up til 3 in the morn to make a $25 bet on something I already believe to be a dead cinch. I havent been up past eleven oclock in 2 yrs. The Ghost is gonna have to keel over at the table to lose with that prop. The only reason I bet was to have some part of the play down there since I couldnt attend. I would bet parts of my body that I could make that kick, in the pocket, one out of three. Do you want to spot me an automatic win one out of every six games? That's a 16% advantage. They built Vegas on 1-5%. Anybody smart enough to be cross-checking times of forum posters is probably too smart for me. If I would have won the match bet, Henderson may have had to undergo a saliva test if he lost to see if he got "jarred."

Beard
Accusing me of being that creepy and petty for $50 is an insult.

Did you also notice that I had much earlier asked John H for an 8 BARREL bet at $25 a pop at 7:30 in the morn in post #10?

Have you forgotten that I was the first guy to give you any pool props on the forum? Or was I exaggerating there too?
So Phil Welch is full of shit too, right? Everybody I know is full of shit, according to you, right? And I know a lot of people. Your arrogance is boundless.

Yes, it is strange that the people who verify the things that I said happened in Chicago actually came from Chicago. Where would you expect them to come from, Jupiter?

You can flush that phoney, poor widdle me, in the commode. I told you, I have zero concern as to what you say unless it refers to me or my interests.

the Beard

strokerace

Verified Member
Wow...i Love This Shit...wish I Had Some History With Someone

On Here Like This..phillipinos I Can Associate With..play Hard..

Play Your Best..win The Cheeze!!..i Played Marbles For Keep As

A Kid..no Funnsy Shit..they Play For Money At An Early Age..though

It Might Only Be A Nickle Or A Dime..money Still..thats The Killer

Attitude They Develop Eairly In Life..no Fear

SJDinPHX

Suspended
My preference...

My preference...

Cowboy Dennis said:
Since Freddy doesn't drink or do drugs anymore maybe we should just give them both a weapon of their choosing and let them meet on Main Street at High Noon:) . Here's your choices guys.
View attachment 1137

Or maybe something more fitting:D
View attachment 1138

My choice...To better deal with pesky braggerts..:D

View attachment 1139

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Nice Job Fred...

Nice Job Fred...

=Fred Bentivegna

Dont pay me. The bet is off. All bets.
Beard

Your arrogance is boundless.

the Beard

Those are the only two things you needed to say....You didn't need to go through a time consuming, color coded, bunch of your whining drivel (with lots of omissions, and things taken out of context, grossly slanted to make you right. (As usual)...The "arrogance" statement is priceless..:rolleyes: It is the epitome of your mindset, because YOUR arrogance, is how we reached this stage in our relationship.

And I certainly live in fear, of being a "pariah" at the next DCC, because you consider me unworthy of belonging in "the old rounders" club. Thank God they are not all as bitter and opinionated as you...otherwise, it would be a pleasure NOT to belong.

I had debated sending you the $50 in question, but I think I would prefer you continue refering to me as a "welcher", rather than have you think you were actually right. But I also did not send it, because I don't want to be added to your "beat list"

However, if you want to stop all this stupid s**t, I will buy you a $50 dinner at DCC... Seperate tables of course, as I would not want to ruin a good meal, listening to how you beat every f-ing pool player in the f-ing universe. (at least once)

The "Arrogant" Duck

PS..I'll let you have the last word Fred...I'm done !!!

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
KindlyOleUncleDave said:
That is a pretty interesting question.

They actually find their way to Chicago to learn, rather than threaten to go there to ....? At best get a deep dish pizza?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Samuel Clemens said...

Samuel Clemens said...

SJDinPHX said:
Those are the only two things you needed to say....You didn't need to go through a time consuming, color coded, bunch of your whining drivel (with lots of omissions, and things taken out of context, grossly slanted to make you right. (As usual)...The "arrogance" statement is priceless..:rolleyes: It is the epitome of your mindset, because YOUR arrogance, is how we reached this stage in our relationship.

And I certainly live in fear, of being a "pariah" at the next DCC, because you consider me unworthy of belonging in "the old rounders" club. Thank God they are not all as bitter and opinionated as you...otherwise, it would be a pleasure NOT to belong.

I had debated sending you the $50 in question, but I think I would prefer you continue refering to me as a "welcher", rather than have you think you were actually right. But I also did not send it, because I don't want to be added to your "beat list"

However, if you want to stop all this stupid s**t, I will buy you a $50 dinner at DCC... Seperate tables of course, as I would not want to ruin a good meal, listening to how you beat every f-ing pool player in the f-ing universe. (at least once)

The "Arrogant" Duck

PS..I'll let you have the last word Fred...I'm done !!!

Going back to Mark Twain again:

"Rumors of my constant bragging about beating every player in the universe, have been greatly exaggerated." --- By SJD, I might add. In actuality, aside from defending disclaimers about my "beat list," there is a veritable dearth of posts where I rave on about beating such and such players. Look it up. I put that list up 5 years ago on my web site to add credibility to the site and maybe create a little conversation. Who knew at the time that it would, for some reason, so infuriate some jerk in Arizona. What is missing in the conversation, especially after so many cheap shots have been taken trying to invalidate and discredit it, is the simple fact that what I said was true. What is so bad about that? ... Should I be ashamed of those accomplishments? ...something I spent my whole life going after ...something that cost me two marriages and untold personal sacrifices? Why does that bother jerk-off so much? Does anybody think I am going to let anybody piss on what I spent 50 years trying to do?!

Bottom line: DID I DO WHAT I SAY I DID???!!! Answer that question first before you go off on some out-of-context rant. AND IF I DID, WHY SHOULD IT BOTHER YOU???!!!

Beard

I'm beginning to wonder if you really know how confrontive and incendiary your remarks are?