fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Diana Hoppe put this up on...

Diana Hoppe put this up on...

stevelomako said:
Oh yah, Freddie drinks.

Remember what I said about Truman? At one of the HOF dinners Truman had Diana Hoppe take up a drink to Freddie while he was at the podium. We were in the back laughing our asses off and people were getting kinda pissed not knowing....Truman had a big penis swizzle stick in the glass he sent up to Freddie.

Freddie is a great guy and I love him to death.

Dick and John Henderson are awesome guys too, you'll see that at DCC.

Dick and Freddie are so much the same in a different way, every pool room has got to have it so why not here?

....FaceBook

Beard

Attachments

• 25851_408574832526_631517526_5584393_4086472_s.jpg
    25851_408574832526_631517526_5584393_4086472_s.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Howdy

Howdy

Hello John, this old bird is gonna do DCC and naturally entered Banks. I love playing banks but as with most everything else I do I waited until late in life to try something. Hope I get a chance to meet you while at DCC or maybe even get an opportunity to be beaten by a champion like you in the tournament. I always tell my opponents that the only thing easier than me is a bye. My signature says it all. :eek:

Later, Pel

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Wow, first Shannon Daulton and now John Brumback. It sure makes my day to see pros signing up and posting here. It's awesome to have you posting here John as this site thrives because of the hard work of its members and the knowledge they've accumulated over the years and have decided to share.

With that in mind, may I ask if you use inside on the straight backs because it essentially gives you a bigger pocket because of the angle you get and the english the object ball has as it comes off the rail? The better angle argument would be kind of like the same reason why someone might over cut a cross-side and hit it harder to compensate for the wider approach angle so the side pocket is effectively a bigger pocket. Hope this makes sense, and again, welcome to the site!

John Brumback

Verified Member
twister said:
Wow, first Shannon Daulton and now John Brumback. It sure makes my day to see pros signing up and posting here. It's awesome to have you posting here John as this site thrives because of the hard work of its members and the knowledge they've accumulated over the years and have decided to share.

With that in mind, may I ask if you use inside on the straight backs because it essentially gives you a bigger pocket because of the angle you get and the english the object ball has as it comes off the rail? The better angle argument would be kind of like the same reason why someone might over cut a cross-side and hit it harder to compensate for the wider approach angle so the side pocket is effectively a bigger pocket. Hope this makes sense, and again, welcome to the site!

Hey There Twister.Thanks for the nice words,and thanks for the welcome.
ding ding ding.Your the winner! You have it figured it out. Good job, John B.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
....Diane Hoppe put this up...on FaceBook

Beard

How unusual was that ? ...The Beardmonster was too busy flapping his gums, to even notice the penis swizzle stick...:rolleyes:

Wiley Duck <---Truman just vaulted over John B., as my new "Bank Pool Hero" (JK John)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John Brumback said:
Hey There Twister.Thanks for the nice words,and thanks for the welcome.
ding ding ding.Your the winner! You have it figured it out. Good job, John B.
It makes sense to use either inside or a harder stroke on the cross-side banks in order to make the pocket effectively wider by having the OB come in at a straighter angle. And I can see its same use on some wide angle cross-corners or straight-backs.

But it seems to me that on shorter angle straight-backs and cross-sides, that by playing the OB wide, and shortening the angle with inside, it would actually make the pocket a little smaller. The pockets are widest at their centers.

I can see shortening the angle with inside on shots where the hit tends to make the OB go long off the cushion, which is often the case with short angle straight-backs and cross-sides (especially those within one diamond on the short rail or 1/2 diamond on the long rail).

Where is the flaw in my reasoning?

Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
It makes sense to use either inside or a harder stroke on the cross-side banks in order to make the pocket effectively wider by having the OB come in at a straighter angle. And I can see its same use on some wide angle cross-corners or straight-backs.

But it seems to me that on shorter angle straight-backs and cross-sides, that by playing the OB wide, and shortening the angle with inside, it would actually make the pocket a little smaller. The pockets are widest at their centers.

I can see shortening the angle with inside on shots where the hit tends to make the OB go long off the cushion, which is often the case with short angle straight-backs and cross-sides (especially those within one diamond on the short rail or 1/2 diamond on the long rail).

Where is the flaw in my reasoning?

Doc

Hello Doc.How you doin? I had to re read that like 6 times but I think I can help ya.The problem I see with your thinking is coming from out in the table... your not going to be able to cheat the pockets like that.Your going to have to hit it DEAD center.But with the way I'm going to hit it,If i miss hit a little mine has a good chance of sliding on down the rail and still go in the pocket.

Good bankpool players make the pockets play bigger than their oppo.That's the trick to good bankpool. Imo. Oh, and it doesn't really matter where on the table your coming from.Another thing is you don't have to hit all banks hard to get the same effect. Hope that makes sense.If it doesn't I'll try again.
Thanks, John B.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I believe and have been shown, inside english will let straighter angle cross corner banks touch the rail then hit both tits and the english still tends to take the ball into the pocket.;) This opposed to outside which will make the OB stand up.:(
Rod.

John Brumback

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Obviously, I be da "Roadrunner"...Have you noticed how "Wiley Coyote's" best laid plans always backfire on him...(plus, he is definately 'the dullest knife in the drawer')..:D :D :D

Hey SJ, good try but your not going to get me in that mess with you 2! But I do enjoy sittin back reading all that fuuny stuff. lol Glad you mentioned
who was who in the cartoon,cause I was wondering that myself. And I guess you will never get caught.hehehe Thanks for the laugh. this might be the beat DCC ever!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!

John Brumback

Verified Member
androd said:
I believe and have been shown, inside english will let straighter angle cross corner banks touch the rail then hit both tits and the english still tends to take the ball into the pocket.;) This opposed to outside which will make the OB stand up.:(
Rod.

Yes Your exactly right about that! It really works from alot of different places on the table too. Not just little cross corners. Thanks for helping me explain it. Your good. John

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
John, It's a pleasure to have you with us and posting all of the tidbits of information. I'm trying to absorb all that you've said and want to practice it. I want to thank you and Freddy for passing on your banking knowledge.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Inside

Inside

so John.... for some ungodly reason, I picked up a bad habit early on in my pool life, that on banks, I would unconsciously tend to hit the object ball, for the most part, full in the face and use english to make the bank, adjusting for how hard I hit it and how much I need to cut it to make the bank.

This is why, I guess, I use outside all the time. It seems the only time I use inside, is when I have to, to get out of a kiss or to try and kill the cueball off the rail for positional reasons.

Needless to say, it's probably a horrible way to approach banks, but I've developed a feel for it, so it has served me to some extent.

I would like to change that and relearn my banking methods. I was practicing using about a tip of inside yesterday, but I was way off, due to my previous method of banking. The ones I did make, I could see the advantage of using inside, because of the way they slide down the rail in the last 2 feet approaching the pocket. It's a more direct approach to the pocket.

So in my bottom example below, using a common bank... would you use inside on this or strictly centerball. If you use inside, obviously you have to cut the ball more towards the right side of the table, as opposed to hitting it with no english, to compensate for the reverse off the rail.

On the 2nd example which is the top diagram with the cueball with a A on it, would you hit this with inside too? Or center or outside? In both of these examples, let's say you don't have to do anything special with the cueball, which might make you have to adjust the way you're hitting it.

Thanks... I'm just trying to start working on changing everything around, so when DCC comes, maybe I can steal just a few minutes of your time, when you are free, and I will be more accustomed to the RIGHT way to bank.:)

PS (I edited this slightly to show the cueball going off the object ball to a particular side, as to not confuse anyone about the inside/outside)
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BARW2OLpP3PDWv3QKQt3VARW1VKCm4Vatfzc2jLpP2jOrn3jalWzc3kDWv3kAif3kCMUzc3lKQt2lKSL2lHYnzc3qOJB2nd_question&ZZ3rBDM1st_question&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
so John.... for some ungodly reason, I picked up a bad habit early on in my pool life, that on banks, I would unconsciously tend to hit the object ball, for the most part, full in the face and use english to make the bank, adjusting for how hard I hit it and how much I need to cut it to make the bank.

This is why, I guess, I use outside all the time. It seems the only time I use inside, is when I have to, to get out of a kiss or to try and kill the cueball off the rail for positional reasons.

Needless to say, it's probably a horrible way to approach banks, but I've developed a feel for it, so it has served me to some extent.

I would like to change that and relearn my banking methods. I was practicing using about a tip of inside yesterday, but I was way off, due to my previous method of banking. The ones I did make, I could see the advantage of using inside, because of the way they slide down the rail in the last 2 feet approaching the pocket. It's a more direct approach to the pocket.

So in my bottom example below, using a common bank... would you use inside on this or strictly centerball. If you use inside, obviously you have to cut the ball more towards the right side of the table, as opposed to hitting it with no english, to compensate for the reverse off the rail.

On the 2nd example which is the top diagram with the cueball with a A on it, would you hit this with inside too? Or center or outside? In both of these examples, let's say you don't have to do anything special with the cueball, which might make you have to adjust the way you're hitting it.

Thanks... I'm just trying to start working on changing everything around, so when DCC comes, maybe I can steal just a few minutes of your time, when you are free, and I will be more accustomed to the RIGHT way to bank.:)
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BARW2OLpP3PDWv3QKQt3VARW1VKCm4Vatf2jLpP2jOrn3jalW3kDWv3kARl3kAJf3lKQt2lKrG2lHAh3qOJB2nd_question&ZZ3rBDM1st_question&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Ok Red,Your going to make me give away my secrets aren't you? JK oook. On the straight in bank you have there,I over cut it just a hair and use center cue ball or top cue ball which ever I want (produces the same effect) now here is the Big secret that not many seem to know.just because I over cut it
dosen't mean I need inside english.Again...center ball. or top.(The angle of your cue going into the cue ball has a big effect on the OB) If you stun the cue ball or follow the cball with a good firm speed the ob will bend, straighten
up and go right in if you do it the way i have described.Ooook on to the next one.Same exact way.Over cut it a bit.Now this kind that I have to cut backwards a bit I like to use straight top english.Same thing.hit with good speed,It bends a little,straightens up and goes right in. (angle of cue going into CB does effect the shot) That's about it really. Yeah your good your just doing it ALL WRONG and the hard way.I see it all the time. LOL Oh and you owe me a beer or 3.Thanks

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I prefer to stick with top on shot 2, since you don't have to hold the inside for the hit. Also, the hit angle itself will create a little bit of right on the ball so that it banks short (you may notice some people banking wide on side banks that they cross over with the cue ball when they don't factor in collision spin, or so it appears to me). Shot 1 I usually use draw on because I'm not as confident that my kill spin will hold for that distance.

Just my 2 cents. Oh, and maybe John would help point out anything I'm doing incorrectly if I post it. ;)

Using outside feels a little harder to control as I find it mostly being used on shots that are already widening the angle (ie- banking something to the left, hitting on the right side and using right spin).

You find some pretty interesting stuff to play with over the years when you run low on quarters and resort to just banking around the last couple of balls on the table for a while. :p

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
John B. taught a group of 6 of us a lesson on Banks back in the late 90s. They one thing I came away with was the use of Stun speed inside banks. Even long banks.

Of course there was more, but I remember this stun speed with inside to close up the angle and make the pocket BIGGER. I hope John remembers that Banks workshop at SnookerS in Cincinnati.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Don't bet too high on that John;) .

RBL

View attachment 1941

Hey.... What the heck?????????????? You mean I watched all those cartoons..(thought I watched everyone) and missed that one!!!!!
i'll be dam.All those saturday mornings just wasted. I'll bet he ordered something from that ACME company to catch him though.Might have been yukon jack in his bowl!!! watch out Beard.Man that's some funny chit.
hehehehehehe