spotting and owing one a foul?

t-dog

Verified Member
Im playing a guy 9-8, he owes one before the break....He scratches on his break....is he on two?

Was just thinking about this one and I bet someone has tried to put it on someone...somewhere. lol

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Im playing a guy 9-8, he owes one before the break....He scratches on his break....is he on two?

Was just thinking about this one and I bet someone has tried to put it on someone...somewhere. lol

No. But nice try lol. He owes one before you start but that doesn't translate to him being on one.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona

He has a penny on the rail to begin the game, so after scratching he would have 2 pennies on the rail.

But as far as fouls, he is on 1 Foul.....would be a good move though...lol

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
this thread just made me think of a new spot playing 1p...

How would you like to play someone where they start on 2 fouls every time before they shot? So basically any foul they do, they lose....

(Or you could make it they always start on 1, but that wouldn't be nearly as strong)

Heck, I would think you would have to play any human getting that spot for whatever they wanted to bet LOL....

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

How would you like to play someone where they start on 2 fouls every time before they shot? So basically any foul they do, they lose....

(Or you could make it they always start on 1, but that wouldn't be nearly as strong)

Heck, I would think you would have to play any human getting that spot for whatever they wanted to bet LOL....

Careful what you wish for, lol

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona

I prefer the hand span spot.....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

The ball that must be spotted for the 9-8 is a "game" ball. It is different than balls "owed" for fouls. He is not "on 2". He is "on 1".

It is also different than a ball inadvertently pocketed during a run and which must be spotted up when the shooter's inning is over and sometimes before:).

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

If you are talking about a player who could give you weight but instead plays you even One-Pocket but if he fouls at any time he loses, he would rob you to death. I would play that way against everybody I ever gave 10-7 or more to.

Many good players and many weaker players play hours long matches without ever fouling. You may be stuck 15 games before you won 1.

Your head would be spinning around so fast it might fall off:eek:.

1349988260_Blair.jpg

youngstown

Verified Member

I want a ball, 3 fouls to your 2, the break, and I want my food to arrive first...lol

yk

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
wow, thanks for the heads up because I may have jumped up to play that way...

seems like everyone i play at least fouls every other game or so...but then again im not playing Efrens, hehe...

Hmm, ok hi-jack thread one more time. If you were playing the best in the world (ok lets just use Alex for now) and you had your choice of these spots, which would you choose:

1) 10-6
2) Your fouls don't count plus you get ball in hand anywhere on the table after the break (his and yours both)
3) play even but he uses a broom handle
4) You can move the ball the span of your hand every time its your shot. So if you make a ball, you can move it again. Make a ball, you can move it again. (This would be my choice by the way)

:)

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

seems like everyone i play at least fouls every other game or so...but then again im not playing Efrens, hehe...

Hmm, ok hi-jack thread one more time. If you were playing the best in the world (ok lets just use Alex for now) and you had your choice of these spots, which would you choose:

1) 10-6
2) Your fouls don't count plus you get ball in hand anywhere on the table after the break (his and yours both)
4) You can move the ball the span of your hand every time its your shot. So if you make a ball, you can move it again. Make a ball, you can move it again. (This would be my choice by the way)

Handspan. 👊🏼

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Nah, he's only on two for one inning.

Edit: Dammit, now I've done it two threads in a row. I guess I have to start reading what I'm responding to.... once in a while. :frus

But I have an excuse. I got a damned speeding ticket today for 79 in a 65. I was hoping the officer would show some mercy, so I told him I didn't mean to go that fast. My eyes have gotten so bad I can't see the speedometer so I have to guess.

It didn't work.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

1) 10-6

I've shot with a wooden crutch with the big rubber tip(wore the skin off my bridge hand), a toilet plunger, a 1" x 1" 3 foot long piece of wood and a few other things I've forgotten now. If Alex shot with a broom handle and we played even he'd be extremely fortunate to ever win a game.

Dennis

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I've shot with a wooden crutch with the big rubber tip(wore the skin off my bridge hand), a toilet plunger, a 1" x 1" 3 foot long piece of wood and a few other things I've forgotten now. If Alex shot with a broom handle and we played even he'd be extremely fortunate to ever win a game.

Dennis

I've never been on either side of any of those -- except 10-6 -- but broom handle looks like the best choice to me.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I have seen a few guys shoot pretty good with a broom handle so that one scares me a little bit...

I've never seen it. Do they have to shoot center-ball all the time or can they get a little juice on CB?

Either way, it seems to me that it would be less disadvantage in rotation than in 1P.

Nobody's going to show me for my standard $20/game, but I'd love to try to play against it.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I've never seen it. Do they have to shoot center-ball all the time or can they get a little juice on CB?

Either way, it seems to me that it would be less disadvantage in rotation than in 1P.

Nobody's going to show me for my standard $20/game, but I'd love to try to play against it.

Mostly center ball to avoid mis-cues. But if you think about it, you can simplify the game of 1 pocket into basic moves and strategies. You don't always have to jack up and draw your ball to be effective.

If I was playing someone using a broom handle though, I would keep them on the foot rail as much as possible ;)