Hardtimes match with Efren.

bernie p

Verified Member
Just a little feedback for those who asked about my match.

I've never played at Hardtimes before, and was pretty fortunate to get 3 hours practice on the actual table the night before the match...thanks to Carla for making that happen.

The table is a GC with 3 7/8" pockets. It played great. Initially the prospect of playing One Pocket on such tight pockets may seem a little daunting, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the pocket take the ball if hit at a reasonable pace (and more than reasonably accurate....:lol)

I had not gambled on a GC for some years (currently only play IP on Diamonds). I would definitely not relish playing on a sub 4" Diamond as the pocket shelves are much deeper than a crown.

The match was tagged as 3 races to 3, but with only 4 hrs scheduled, so any long moving games could easily impact this. The first set I won game #1 and needed only 1 ball in the 2nd (Efren needing 7) before I made an unforced scratch, only to lose that game.

At 2-2 each the tie breaker was an extended moving game with Efren showing his experience to win that first set. That set took about 3 1/2 hours and in the interest of Efren's next opponent,we decided to play a 2nd race to 2 set.

I managed to break Efrens serve in the first game, and then ran out the second game for 2-0 , after he made an uncharacteristic banking error, running the cue 3 rails.

So we played for approx 4 1/2 hrs and we broke even. It was without doubt the most memorable and satisfying billiard experience for me.

In regards to Efrens current speed.....I would say that if we played 3 years ago, I believe my chances of fading the 10-7 spot would be very tough. I felt that I played about as good as I could against a player of his caliber.

Today I would estimate Efrens speed at approx 85% of his speed from then. Even at 85% he still clearly demonstrates the ability to win tournaments.

All in all, a very rewarding experience. I would highly recommend to anyone who wishes to test themselves against this legend.

A quick thanks to Daniel Busch for giving me the opportunity and also for the great hospitality, both at Hardtimes (Frank the Barber, little Al, Carla) and House of Billiards (Wayne, Keoneyo, Magdy)

(P.S. I understand that a copy of the match may be available for viewing on Youtube in a few weeks).

Thanks.

Bernie.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great report bernie
i only got to see alittle of it
you played great
for sure a priceless experience for you

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Just a little feedback for those who asked about my match.

I've never played at Hardtimes before, and was pretty fortunate to get 3 hours practice on the actual table the night before the match...thanks to Carla for making that happen.

The table is a GC with 3 7/8" pockets. It played great. Initially the prospect of playing One Pocket on such tight pockets may seem a little daunting, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the pocket take the ball if hit at a reasonable pace (and more than reasonably accurate....:lol)

I had not gambled on a GC for some years (currently only play IP on Diamonds). I would definitely not relish playing on a sub 4" Diamond as the pocket shelves are much deeper than a crown.

The match was tagged as 3 races to 3, but with only 4 hrs scheduled, so any long moving games could easily impact this. The first set I won game #1 and needed only 1 ball in the 2nd (Efren needing 7) before I made an unforced scratch, only to lose that game.

At 2-2 each the tie breaker was an extended moving game with Efren showing his experience to win that first set. That set took about 3 1/2 hours and in the interest of Efren's next opponent,we decided to play a 2nd race to 2 set.

I managed to break Efrens serve in the first game, and then ran out the second game for 2-0 , after he made an uncharacteristic bank, running the cue 3 rails.

So we played for approx 4 1/2 hrs and we broke even. It was without doubt the most memorable and satisfying billiard experiences for me.

In regards to Efrens current speed.....I would say that if we played 3 years ago, I believe my chances of fading the 10-7 spot would be very tough. I felt that I played about as good as I could against a player of his caliber.

Today I would estimate Efrens speed at approx 85% of his speed from then. Even at 85% he still clearly demonstrates the ability to win tournaments.

All in all, a very rewarding experience. I would highly recommend to anyone who wishes to test themselves against this legend.

A quick thanks to Daniel Busch for giving me the opportunity and also for the great hospitality, both at Hardtimes (Frank the Barber, little Al, Carla) and House of Billiards (Wayne, Keoeyne, Magdy)

(P.S. I understand that a copy of the match may be available for viewing on Youtube in a few weeks).

Thanks.

Bernie.

Sounds awesome, well done!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Bernie, thanks for the report!

I saw games 2, 3 and 4 and missed the hill-hill match!

I thought you played great and am very envious of the experience you had! :)

keoneyo

Verified Member
It was great meeting you and your lovely missus. Thanks for stopping in. Too bad you had to get back so soon. Hope to see you again. You played great.

azbombero

It was fun to watch and you played well. I have had the pleasure to watch Efren for many hours on Youtube and in person and have never seen him "scratch his head" so much.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Great job Bernie! I couldn't see the whole match, but look forward to catching what I missed on YouTube (thanks Daniel!!!). I will say again what someone already said... Congrats on the gumption and fortitude to come back and win that second set. That takes character, and impressive skill of course! Well done!

Cloidius

Verified Member
It was great meeting you and your lovely missus.

Tera is a top notch lady, Bernie made his best move there.

Nicely done, sir. I look forward to another match of yours to study on youtube.

Clyde

Wayne

Verified Member
You are a beast Bernie, after just finishing a long tough match against Efren you came searching for more action. Sorry i couldn't accommodate you but I had just spent 4 hours in the morning with my 5 year old grandson and a 5 hour one pocket match in the afternoon.

As Keone said it was very nice to meet you both and I will try to get over to Phoenix sometime.

baby huey

Verified Member
I watched your match and you played very well. I liked your pace at the table and your never give up manner. Good job.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
You played very well, Bernie. Since Efren is now back in Los Angeles, he's put the feelers out again, says he'll take action at Hard Times again until the 20th, but on a funny note, he stated that he doesn't want action as tough as Bernie Pettipiece...:lol

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

You played very well, Bernie. Since Efren is now back in Los Angeles, he's put the feelers out again, says he'll take action at Hard Times again until the 20th, but on a funny note, he stated that he doesn't want action as tough as Bernie Pettipiece...:lol

Now there's a compliment!!!!

bernie p

Verified Member

Thanks Daniel, on another day he would have executed with his usual touch, and it may very well have been a different result.

On the other hand.....I did "toughen him up" for Make It Happen....and he did take it down again....sooooo.....perhaps I have a little jelly coming my way :p

On a humorous footnote: while I was playing Efren, in between sets, Tera brought me a banana to eat, and laid it on the table while I went to the bathroom. When I got back.....there was Efren with his mouth full, that signature school boy smile..... and just the empty banana peel on the table....:eek::mad:

Nice try Efren....it did'nt faze me.....:lol

So you can tell Efren that next time we play....he owes me a jelly-nana sandwich (Elvis style:heh)

Bernie.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Bernie, you may underestimate your own game. You claim Efren is at 85% from a few years ago, but your game may have improved over that time period as well.
I'm pretty sure I would need 9/7 from you. Basing that on how Eric Young plays you.....

On a side not, I hear that Bret is playing pretty good 1 Pocket nowadays?