scratches don't count

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
skin this is from another thread when you commented on "arties razor".
i forgot artie put it that way. isnt that what you are always trying to do if you can? and not to hi jac the thread but as an aside, a comment on the no scratch spot. the point made by rod that by taking a foul hes not moving anything away from your hole and i would add also not putting anything by his hole was very important, so half of arties razor isnt there. i now inderstand why its not as strong a spot as i used to think.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pissy mood

Pissy mood

I have a great, scratches dont count story, where parlayed $10 into 10k but I'm in too pissy of a mood to relate it just yet. Sorry. Maybe I'll feel a little better later.

Beard
I feel I must first accumulate enough verifiable witnesses before I dare tell it.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Well, if you take away ob fouls (like you advised above) where he can just roll a ball from your hole over to his and leave the cb where you stuck him...

JK. I'm starting to get the picture on this spot. If the spot-ee can't run many and is going to play a halfway "honest" game, he's got no chance. Sure sounds he has the nuts if you don't know better, though.

Skin

Skin, It boils down to the fact your opponent can't move any balls ducking under them. Some one mentioned earlier, getting under balls on the end rail, How did the balls get there ? You're pretty much playing even as soon as he figures out he has to go ahead and shoot. Since you're playing a weaker player, you'll get some shots when he does. If he keeps ducking under'em, you're certainly not going to shoot'em uptable.
Rod.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
So the rules are scratches don't count so if you have a ball in your pocket and he follows it in then your ball comes up but his does not? :confused:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Fast Lenny said:
So the rules are scratches don't count so if you have a ball in your pocket and he follows it in then your ball comes up but his does not? :confused:

Technically, your ball would NOT come up..because HIS fouls don't count as a foul....but a good smart 1P player would make a stipulation ahead of time, that, that is one rare instance that needs to be clarified before the balls are broken. However, it won't change the outcome of very many games.

Now, if you really want to get your tit in a wringer (as the much better player)...try giving up a "hand span"..:eek: The weaker (but smart) player...really has a chance of winning at that game.

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Technically, your ball would NOT come up..because HIS fouls don't count as a foul....but a good smart 1P player would make a stipulation ahead of time, that, that is one rare instance that needs to be clarified before the balls are broken. However, it won't change the outcome of very many games.

Now, if you really want to get your tit in a wringer (as the much better player)...try giving up a "hand span"..:eek: The weaker (but smart) player...really has a chance of winning at that game.

I learned about how good that hand span spot can be for the spot-ee a while back. Look.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1jmGbpnPU[/ame]

Skin

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
SJDinPHX said:

Well this could be an advantage if you happen to hang a ball or something or if you need one and its hanging. I might try to give this spot to a guy who I play 9-7 and 9-6, might be interesting. :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
Well, if you take away ob fouls (like you advised above) where he can just roll a ball from your hole over to his and leave the cb where you stuck him...

JK. I'm starting to get the picture on this spot. If the spot-ee can't run many and is going to play a halfway "honest" game, he's got no chance. Sure sounds he has the nuts if you don't know better, though.

Skin

Skin,

What do you mean by a "halfway honest game"? He can, will and probably should push the cueball to anywhere on the table that he wants it, when he does not have anything else to do. That's the game. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.

Anytime that both players play within the confines of the agreed rules, it is a "completely honest game".

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the bottom line to me is the stronger player if 2 balls or better always has the nuts:eek:do you agree???

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

What do you mean by a "halfway honest game"? He can, will and probably should push the cueball to anywhere on the table that he wants it, when he does not have anything else to do. That's the game. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.

Anytime that both players play within the confines of the agreed rules, it is a "completely honest game".

Dennis

What I meant was that if he played to win by taking reasonable shots and chances for his skill level instead of just taking the cheapest fouls, like tip-tapping the cb over-and-over or pushing it into position, like into a corner hook, etc. for the sole purpose of frustrating you. Maybe a poor choice of expression, but we all have known guys like that.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
What I meant was that if he played to win by taking reasonable shots and chances for his skill level instead of just taking the cheapest fouls, like tip-tapping the cb over-and-over or pushing it into position, like into a corner hook, etc. for the sole purpose of frustrating you. Maybe a poor choice of expression, but we all have known guys like that.

Skin

Skin,

Your opponents job is to frustrate you and yours is to do the same to him.

Most of the games I've seen like this were from a player my speed, playing a weaker player 8-3 or 8-4 and scratches don't count. The weaker player pushed the cueball somewhere 20 shots in a row if he needed to. That's the game. That's how it is played. It's not unscrupulous or anything else negative.
Any foul he makes is fair-play and costs him nothing.

But he's not gonna win until he shoots at his pocket.

P.S. If by tip-tapping the cueball into position you mean to say he hits it more than once, he can't do that. That's agreed in all games, always.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Who you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
yah man im talking to you and everyone else whose been around the table more than just a few times.. so instead of tellin us about your pretty snow clearing machine lets talk some one pocket. do you agree????(sjd enjoying this??:D }p.s. dennis if we get too confrontational we may get booted to the members cafe:rolleyes: )

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
yah man im talking to you and everyone else whose been around the table more than just a few times.. so instead of tellin us about your pretty snow clearing machine lets talk some one pocket. do you agree????(sjd enjoying this??:D }p.s. dennis if we get too confrontational we may get booted to the members cafe:rolleyes: )

Larry,

Are you asking: If a player who is giving another player 9-7 and it's a fair, close, even game but then they start playing 8-8 and fouls don't count(for the weaker player), is the better player the favorite? I think yes. It's a huge extra ball to make for the weaker player. He is going to win some games though, after all, if he only needed 9-7 then he plays close enough to the better players speed to win some games going to 8 and getting the "fouls don't count" advantage. I'd still bet on the player giving up the spot in this example though.

I hope I answered your question.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

Are you asking: If a player who is giving another player 9-7 and it's a fair, close, even game but then they start playing 8-8 and fouls don't count(for the weaker player), is the better player the favorite? I think yes. It's a huge extra ball to make for the weaker player. He is going to win some games though, after all, if he only needed 9-7 then he plays close enough to the better players speed to win some games going to 8 and getting the "fouls don't count" advantage. I'd still bet on the player giving up the spot in this example though.

I hope I answered your question.

Dennis
yes you did dennis thanks. i think the point to make for the weaker players out there( those getting the spot) you are always at a disadvantage since the better player is not going to give you many chances or give you any sell out. since you are weaker you will crack before the better player. imho. you better players giving the spots your thoughts? please, the art to matching up is who has an inflated opinion of their skill.knowing the strength of that lets you decide if the game is fair.i would have fell for the scratches dont count spot until i read this thread. thanks you all for this christmas present.:) :)

deerhunter

Verified Member
Thanks for the info. The only time I ever heard of this spot was when Shannon Daulton was a kid and Gary Spaeth gave it up. I never seen it, but they said Gary beat Shannon's ears off.
Like I said, I won giving up 10-7 so, I may have to try it.
Thanks again.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Skin

The old shot of "trapping" the cue ball against the face of the cushion in a corner is no longer a legal shot in most tournaments. It will cost you the game if not the match. You wouldn't be out of line to insist on playing this way.