Who is Your Top 5 Current One Pocket Players Today?

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
You have to take into consideration his age as it concerns to how he looked at Derby. He plays all 3 events at Derby plus the Fatboy challenge plus the one pocket challenge etc. its a 10 hour plus 9 day grind. That is going to wear on a player 62 years old. I think if he knew he had a chance to win more in one match than he could win in winning all 3 events at Derby, Efren would put a couple of weeks to prepare and come out on top. I dont see alot of guys lining up to play Efren

If i was Scott i would be trying to set this match up. Scott wants to be the best in the world. If Greg Sullivan wants to get Tunica off to an amazing start have this match set up for then. You could have Billy, Danny, Freddy and Grady(if hes up to it) do the commentary. It would be an historic match and tape.

Efren is 57 or 58 tops

Parica is closer to 62 if it matters

and an Efren match against whomever would be epic if the money was right. do believe Reyes would come thru as well with preparation. I'd certainly pay to see

... and if the top 5 (tbd) like Henderson mentioned, a round robin affair, a sure winner in my eyes as well

those who hold the cash and foresight should consider ... :)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Let me ask you something Billy. Can both players get staked to play each other for $ 50,000? I figure you know better than anyone. If the answer is yes, than its imperative this match takes place ASAP It would be HISTORIC!!!
You ask "can both players get staked for $50,000 to play each other"
Are you really serious? Do you know any one that would be willing to stake a coin toss? As much as we are believers in things, or fans of certain people, we are more concerned about 'bottom line' what's in it for me? Risk against return.

I too would love (along with everyone else) to watch a challenge match between Reyes and Frost, and it doesn't have to be for $50,000. If anything that type of a proposal would only be a deterrent for the possibility of this potential match up. I think this match could be in the making, i'm not positive but I believe it may happen. Hopefully it will happen before the fascination diminishes due to possibly an ageing Reyes.:(

Dr. Bill

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
You ask "can both players get staked for $50,000 to play each other"
Are you really serious? Do you know any one that would be willing to stake a coin toss? As much as we are believers in things, or fans of certain people, we are more concerned about 'bottom line' what's in it for me? Risk against return.

I too would love (along with everyone else) to watch a challenge match between Reyes and Frost, and it doesn't have to be for $50,000. If anything that type of a proposal would only be a deterrent for the possibility of this potential match up. I think this match could be in the making, i'm not positive but I believe it may happen. Hopefully it will happen before the fascination diminishes due to possibly an ageing Reyes.:(

Dr. Bill
You're right that the match doesn't have to be for 50k. We would love to see it even to just to see who's the best. But there has to be enough at stake for each to seriously prepare for the match.

IMO Efren has nothing to prove to me about his game. The benefit would be for Scott. I would love to see this match and of all pay for view matches this is one that I would definitely purchase. And I agree that it needs to happen soon, but not like the last time they played where a jump cue was introduced into the game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You're right that the match doesn't have to be for 50k. We would love to see it even to just to see who's the best. But there has to be enough at stake for each to seriously prepare for the match.

IMO Efren has nothing to prove to me about his game. The benefit would be for Scott. I would love to see this match and of all pay for view matches this is one that I would definitely purchase. And I agree that it needs to happen soon, but not like the last time they played where a jump cue was introduced into the game.

what a coincidence you mention that...:rolleyes::D
i started this thread yesterday
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6457

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I know Scott and Efren have tangled 3 times in the past 4 years I believe for the cash with Scott winning them all I do believe. We are talking around 5k or something like that with other money bet on the rail. I more than anyone would like to see them both play for 10,000 or more in the near future. I believe it will this year as there have been some talks with Frost and a promoter to get them in action for a PPV, if someone can put me in touch with Efren's backer then maybe we can arrange a date and place for them to play. Maybe a race to 8 or 10 would suffice to showcase who is the best, I am sure there will be a ton bet on the side as always for these matches. Scott wants to play Efren, he respects Efren and says he is still the best but that does not mean he does not want or cant beat him. I also think we will see Shane in a big money one pocket match with someone listed in this thread as a top 5 player. I think Shane vs Earl in the finals was good for one pocket because they are known as rotation players and maybe some fresh faces will be interested in the game. I think the past couple years one pocket has been growing steadily that is for sure, atleast in the area I live.

Skin

Verified Member
I think Shane vs Earl in the finals was good for one pocket because they are known as rotation players and maybe some fresh faces will be interested in the game. I think the past couple years one pocket has been growing steadily that is for sure, atleast in the area I live.

Well, SVB and Earl had that 10b match on the 5 X 10 that Earl won with his new supercue, so maybe they'll match up on that table again, 1p this time. From what the old timers around here say, it is a different game on a 5 x 10. That would an interesting match to sweat and might generate a lot of ppv interest. JMO.

Skin

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Well, SVB and Earl had that 10b match on the 5 X 10 that Earl won with his new supercue, so maybe they'll match up on that table again, 1p this time. From what the old timers around here say, it is a different game on a 5 x 10. That would an interesting match to sweat and might generate a lot of ppv interest. JMO.

Skin
I think them playing on a 5 by 10 would be great. I do think the 5 by 10 would favor Efren though.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Tunica would be the perfect venue for this match up. If Greg wants to kick Tunica off with a bang this would definitely do it.

Skin

Verified Member
I think Skin was meaning SVB and Earl, if I am not mistaken.

That is what I meant, Dee, but heck, I'd ppv to watch any of the top guys on a 5 x 10, especially Frost v. Reyes, with supercues or not. :)

Skin

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
I agree with the poster about Scott Frost should be pushing to set this up.

Here is why;

I think Scott wants to be known as the best one pocket player in the world.

He needs to beat Efren, in public so this will determined.

All great rivalries have always made great for us railbirds.

IMO

Bird/Magic
Earl/Efren (9-ball), maybe the best rivalry in pool in my lifetime.
Chamberlin/Russell
Ali/Frazier
USA/USSR (Olympics)

I think that is why, at least in my eyes, Michael Jordon wasn’t as exciting to watch. The great sport dramas always included drama and rivalry.

Pool players are so dumb we miss out on so many of them. The other great one to bring some interest to Straight Pool.

Schmidt/Harriman

Arguably the two best straight pool players in the US.

I hope my point gets across.:frus

Best of rolls to all,

Ken

I like this Ken ... i'd like a substitution and say Ali vs Liston
when he captured the title.

I hope we can see this happen for $25K or $10K
The other substitutions are great here also ...

Reyes , Frost, Owens, Pagulayan and Ochoa
with
Daulton Jones VanBoening Gentile rounding out w/ 1 more name for a current top 10 D. Smith or C. Joyner

the next tier down would be of interest as well ...
funny thing is the next two ball spot down would make for a list twice the size because that lis t would be up for debate (list of 20 guys that the top ten cannot give 9 to 7 to).

Deeman

Verified Member
That is what I meant, Dee, but heck, I'd ppv to watch any of the top guys on a 5 x 10, especially Frost v. Reyes, with supercues or not. :)

Skin

Skin,

Me too! Perhaps we will get to see them all in a round robin one day but any match involving the top players will be welcome.

DeeMan

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I was posting my top 5 on Brandon's Facebook and was curious what everyone else thought and also their picks. I am speaking more for the cash money if you had to bet on them as opposed to tournament play. I think this year we will see 2 of these fellas on the list matching up.

1. Frost
2. Efren
3. Alex
4. Gabe
5. Sylver

I have to mention I struggled to not put Shane on the list, I feel he would give Sylver and Gabe a run for their money and maybe the other guys too. He just shoots so straight and is a smart pool player who is like a sponge with great focus, talent and determination to conquer every game. Shane might be the guy to break Mosconi's 526 if and when he gets to straight pool.

I would put SVB over Sylver and I dont think its that close.

I know John Smichdt is mr 400 but I also like his 1P game over Sylver. So that makes Sylver 7th or 8th.