Hippie Jimmy Reid

JAM

Verified Member
Starting to work on an article about Jimmy Reid, and I came across a 1974 Sports Illustrated article written by none other than Walter Tevis, the author of "The Hustler." I did not know he wrote for Sports Illustrated. Three of his novels were adapted into movies, by the way, which is pretty strong.

Anyway, check out what he writes about Jimmy: By the electric green table with narrow pockets under a cone of light stands Hippie Jimmy, James Reid of Detroit, in his early 20s and one of the best nine-ball men of his time. Like the table, Jimmy is dressed in green, but a darker shade, close to olive. He has on tight knit flares and a matching green T shirt with beige embroidery at the neck.

Hippie Jimmy holds in his hand a 57-inch, 20-ounce pool cue with steel joint, ivory inlays and gray silk-wrapped butt, every inch of it handmade by Bill Stroud of Joss Cues West in the clean air of Aspen, Colo., a million miles from this big poolroom in Dayton, Ohio.

It is between matches here in the third week of the Tournament of Champions, usually called the hustlers' tournament because the matches do not include straight pool, the game of such suit-and-tie respectables as Willie Mosconi and Joe Balsis. Instead they are divided among the three biggest gamblers' games: one-pocket, bank pool and nine-ball.

The six rows of bleachers are beginning to fill, mostly with ordinary-looking people. There are 62 professionals here who have paid up to $325 to play for $30,000 in prize money, and you might spot some of the hustlers by their sharp, mod clothes, men like Jim Rempe, or the cousins Pete and Jimmy Fusco of Philadelphia, or Bugs Rucker, or Ronnie Allen, the younger generation. But you could be fooled by some drably dressed middle-aged men like Boston Shorty, or Jersey Red, or Luther (Wimpy) Lassiter, or that country maniac of gamblers, Cornbread Red, all of whom look like Middle America but handle a cue stick as though it were the wand of Glinda the Good of Oz.

The main thing is, it would be unwise to play pool of whatever kind for money with anybody in this room. There are some serious people here.

Jay Helfert, Toupee Jay, comes in: small, agile and bald. The toupee is what he wears the second time he plays for money in a town on the road. He and Jimmy nod at each other.

Walter does have a way with words. :D Interestingly, Walter's wife, Jamie Griggs Tevis, published her autobiography, "My Life with the Hustler." She died August 4, 2006.

Anybody have any Jimmy stories? Would love to read some as I'm working on his article. I'd like to hear from those who may have witnessed Jimmy in his prime, a U.S. Open 9-Balll Champion. :)

Attachments

• jimmyreid.JPG
    jimmyreid.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Just a short one. When Jimmy would break, he would pull the tip of the cue stick clean out of his closed bridge. It was amazing to see.

bstroud

Verified Member
I think you are talking about the Dayton tournament that I put on with Joe Burns.

The ring pay ball game on the snooker table was the main action.
Danny Circe won all the money. I think it was 200-400 and double on the run.

I introduced Tevis to Fatty for the first time.

Buddy won the tournament.

Bill S.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Starting to work on an article about Jimmy Reid, and I came across a 1974 Sports Illustrated article written by none other than Walter Tevis, the author of "The Hustler." I did not know he wrote for Sports Illustrated. Three of his novels were adapted into movies, by the way, which is pretty strong.

Anyway, check out what he writes about Jimmy: By the electric green table with narrow pockets under a cone of light stands Hippie Jimmy, James Reid of Detroit, in his early 20s and one of the best nine-ball men of his time. Like the table, Jimmy is dressed in green, but a darker shade, close to olive. He has on tight knit flares and a matching green T shirt with beige embroidery at the neck.

Hippie Jimmy holds in his hand a 57-inch, 20-ounce pool cue with steel joint, ivory inlays and gray silk-wrapped butt, every inch of it handmade by Bill Stroud of Joss Cues West in the clean air of Aspen, Colo., a million miles from this big poolroom in Dayton, Ohio.

It is between matches here in the third week of the Tournament of Champions, usually called the hustlers' tournament because the matches do not include straight pool, the game of such suit-and-tie respectables as Willie Mosconi and Joe Balsis. Instead they are divided among the three biggest gamblers' games: one-pocket, bank pool and nine-ball.

The six rows of bleachers are beginning to fill, mostly with ordinary-looking people. There are 62 professionals here who have paid up to $325 to play for $30,000 in prize money, and you might spot some of the hustlers by their sharp, mod clothes, men like Jim Rempe, or the cousins Pete and Jimmy Fusco of Philadelphia, or Bugs Rucker, or Ronnie Allen, the younger generation. But you could be fooled by some drably dressed middle-aged men like Boston Shorty, or Jersey Red, or Luther (Wimpy) Lassiter, or that country maniac of gamblers, Cornbread Red, all of whom look like Middle America but handle a cue stick as though it were the wand of Glinda the Good of Oz.

The main thing is, it would be unwise to play pool of whatever kind for money with anybody in this room. There are some serious people here.

Jay Helfert, Toupee Jay, comes in: small, agile and bald. The toupee is what he wears the second time he plays for money in a town on the road. He and Jimmy nod at each other.

Walter does have a way with words. :D Interestingly, Walter's wife, Jamie Griggs Tevis, published her autobiography, "My Life with the Hustler." She died August 4, 2006.

Anybody have any Jimmy stories? Would love to read some as I'm working on his article. I'd like to hear from those who may have witnessed Jimmy in his prime, a U.S. Open 9-Balll Champion. :)

Great picture of Jimmy..I hope its recent, because he looks great, after what he's been through...We've known each other for years, but only had one brief road trip together in California..Jimmy won about $15, playing 9 ball, and I won about $150 playing 1 pocket. :cool:...This only made us about $200 loser for the trip....He was he was much better known than I was, and so he got almost zero action...But the comraderie, and frindship was priceless..;)..Yeah, I'd do it again..;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Walter does have a way with words. :D Interestingly, Walter's wife, Jamie Griggs Tevis, published her autobiography, "My Life with the Hustler." She died August 4, 2006. ...
Jam, several years ago, when I learned of Jamie T's book I ordered it with high expectations-- to get the "real story" on Walter Tevis. Their story is interesting enough, but I couldn't recommend the book, except for research purposes. It's basically, "Walter and I went here. Then we did this..." I think it would be interesting for people who are in Al-Anon. She remarried later in life, and seemed to be happy.

At any rate, due to several coincidences in their and my story, I sat down and wrote her a nice letter. I was born in Athens, Ohio, where they had spent many years while Walter taught at Ohio University. I had many fond memories of Athens, but never knew that they'd lived there. Then there was the pool connection, and some other similarities.

Anyway, I never did hear back from her. As it turned out she had died a year or so before I ever sent the letter. I would have loved to have made contact with her. C'est la vie...

Doc

JAM

Verified Member
Jam, several years ago, when I learned of Jamie T's book I ordered it with high expectations-- to get the "real story" on Walter Tevis. Their story is interesting enough, but I couldn't recommend the book, except for research purposes. It's basically, "Walter and I went here. Then we did this..." I think it would be interesting for people who are in Al-Anon. She remarried later in life, and seemed to be happy.

At any rate, due to several coincidences in their and my story, I sat down and wrote her a nice letter. I was born in Athens, Ohio, where they had spent many years while Walter taught at Ohio University. I had many fond memories of Athens, but never knew that they'd lived there. Then there was the pool connection, and some other similarities.

Anyway, I never did hear back from her. As it turned out she had died a year or so before I ever sent the letter. I would have loved to have made contact with her. C'est la vie...

Doc

That is interesting, Doc. She must have been quite a gal to be married to Walter Tevis, who seemed to love pool with all its warts and pimples. :D

I'll never forget one time when we were in Virginia, I think at the Open, and Mike Sigel and Jimmy Reid joined Keith and myself. Jimmy and Mike were speaking simultaneously about different topics. Keith and I looked at each other and just burst out laughing. Jimmy is a great conservationalist, as is Mike Sigel, but the two of them together, well, it's hard to get a word in edgewise. :D

JAM

Verified Member
Just a short one. When Jimmy would break, he would pull the tip of the cue stick clean out of his closed bridge. It was amazing to see.

LOL! I'm having trouble visualizing this. Can you elaborate a wee bit more? This is interesting! :cool:

JAM

Verified Member
Great picture of Jimmy..I hope its recent, because he looks great, after what he's been through...We've known each other for years, but only had one brief road trip together in California..Jimmy won about $15, playing 9 ball, and I won about $150 playing 1 pocket. :cool:...This only made us about $200 loser for the trip....He was he was much better known than I was, and so he got almost zero action...But the comraderie, and frindship was priceless..;)..Yeah, I'd do it again..;)

The photo was taken about 10 years ago, but Jimmy still has that great smile. It's infectious, and when he laughs, he draws you in and makes you happy. That's what I love best about Jimmy, his ability to make people feel good when he's around.

Jimmy has recently told me some interesting happenings he experienced. I should probably record him, now that I think about it. Some of the stories he shared, about his father and a Florida pool player, are very intriguing and hold your attention.

You are right about Jimmy being a friend. Once he's your friend, he's loyal. I love that about him. He always makes me feel so comfortable when I am in his company. :)

JAM

Verified Member
Well, here's the bare bones. I am going to work on it more this weekend: Hippie Jimmy Reid's Wikipedia Article. :)

I need to find more print matter pertaining to Jimmy so I can reference it in the article. This is what takes so much time!

Dr. Billy, it's about time you were on Wikipedia. Start gathering your data and photos, 'cause after I finish with Jimmy, you're next. Just figure out how you want to be labeled on Wikipedia: "Dr. Billy," "Billy I.," "Billy Incardona," "William Incardona," "Cardone," or as Keith calls you, "Mr. C." :p

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
he was all over palm beach county fl in the 70s, i use to see him everywhere. i heard he's back.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
he was all over palm beach county fl in the 70s, i use to see him everywhere. i heard he's back.

He was in Birmingham Alabama during that time too. I use to go there on other type business and on several occasions I would hear his name brought up even though I never mentioned I played pool to these people. It was around the time that Cooney was making big Detroit Rack type scores there. I didn't check him out because I had to drive down and do business in the car and then drive back without any pause. A grueling 10 hour ordeal...

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
LOL! I'm having trouble visualizing this. Can you elaborate a wee bit more? This is interesting! :cool:

Picture Jimmie down to break. He was breaking from near the headspot with his bridge hand on the bed of the table. He was making a closed bridge where your index finger goes on top of the cue stick and touches you thumb. When he drew back to break the cue stick would come clear back out of his fingers and you could clearly see the ferrule and tip of the cue back by the wrist of his bridge hand before he would surge his stroke forward and the cue would miraculously go back through his finger and hit the cue ball and break the balls like thunder. I could never do this without shooting my fingers off.

JAM

Verified Member
Picture Jimmie down to break. He was breaking from near the headspot with his bridge hand on the bed of the table. He was making a closed bridge where your index finger goes on top of the cue stick and touches you thumb. When he drew back to break the cue stick would come clear back out of his fingers and you could clearly see the ferrule and tip of the cue back by the wrist of his bridge hand before he would surge his stroke forward and the cue would miraculously go back through his finger and hit the cue ball and break the balls like thunder. I could never do this without shooting my fingers off.

OMG! That is a very unique break. I don't think I've ever seen anybody else do that. Thanks for the explanation! :)

backplaying

Verified Member
Jimmy could score on the ladies faster than anyone I ever met. I carried him to Gasden, Al once to a place he had never been called Roscoe's. We were going in the door when I realized I had forgot my cigarettes . I told him to go ahead while I went back and got them. Well, I go into the bar and don't see Jimmy, order a beer and go to the bathroom and jimmy wasn't in there . When I come out I look over in a booth and Jimmy was making out with a good looking women. Jimmy also played 8 ball better than anyone I had ever seen. I also lost a several hundred betting on Keith playing Jimmy 10 ball in Jackson, Ms in the 80's.

JAM

Verified Member
Jimmy could score on the ladies faster than anyone I ever met. I carried him to Gasden, Al once to a place he had never been called Roscoe's. We were going in the door when I realized I had forgot my cigarettes . I told him to go ahead while I went back and got them. Well, I go into the bar and don't see Jimmy, order a beer and go to the bathroom and jimmy wasn't in there . When I come out I look over in a booth and Jimmy was making out with a good looking women. Jimmy also played 8 ball better than anyone I had ever seen. I also lost a several hundred betting on Keith playing Jimmy 10 ball in Jackson, Ms in the 80's.

Jimmy was indeed a ladies' man, no doubt about it. In fact, seeing photos of him when he was a young man, well, he is quite easy on the eyes, speaking as a woman, of course. :D

Let me give you a word of advice about Keith. Unless he is accompanied by a "handler," bet with caution. ;)

JAM

Verified Member

Just spoke to Jimmy, and he remembers this event. He said he backed Keith against Reid Pierce, and Keith won. And then Keith and Jimmy played for the whole caboodle, and Keith lost. :eek:

jimmy reid

I am getting assistance writing this post on OnePocket.org, as I am still recovering from medical procedures.

Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. It really means a lot.

My first trip to Johnston City, one of my fondest memories was playing in a ring 10-ball game, $50 a man. It was Wade Crane, Billy Incardona, Jim Rempe, Jim Marino, Cole Dixon, Ronnie Allen, and Bob Ogburn. The game was open to everybody, but after six players, we cut it off. But when somebody got broke, there was usually somebody waiting in the wings to fill the spot.

Handsome Danny Jones, who actually at that time was very handsome, came into the pool room and started hitting balls next to us. Wade Crane said to Danny, "Danny, you can get in. It's an open game." We only had five players at the time. Danny said, "Oh, I can't. I couldn't get any sleep last night. I had nightmares all night long," and Wade said, "Nightmares? What happened?" Danny said, "I dreamt I was in a ring game playing for $50 a man, betting my own money, and I woke up soaking wet and screaming."

Wade and I looked at each other and started to laugh hysterically. It took us 10 minutes before either one of us could get back to the ring game table agian. I was on the floor with a belly ache, and Wade was laying on top of a table next to the ring game table rolling back and forth on his back laughing. We couldn't breathe. :lol

Danny has a nightmare that he was betting his own money. Danny Jones was the funniest human being. :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I am getting assistance writing this post on OnePocket.org, as I am still recovering from medical procedures.

Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. It really means a lot.

My first trip to Johnston City, one of my fondest memories was playing in a ring 10-ball game, $50 a man. It was Wade Crane, Billy Incardona, Jim Rempe, Jim Marino, Cole Dixon, Ronnie Allen, and Bob Ogburn. The game was open to everybody, but after six players, we cut it off. But when somebody got broke, there was usually somebody waiting in the wings to fill the spot.

Handsome Danny Jones, who actually at that time was very handsome, came into the pool room and started hitting balls next to us. Wade Crane said to Danny, "Danny, you can get in. It's an open game." We only had five players at the time. Danny said, "Oh, I can't. I couldn't get any sleep last night. I had nightmares all night long," and Wade said, "Nightmares? What happened?" Danny said, "I dreamt I was in a ring game playing for $50 a man, betting my own money, and I woke up soaking wet and screaming."

Wade and I looked at each other and started to laugh hysterically. It took us 10 minutes before either one of us could get back to the ring game table agian. I was on the floor with a belly ache, and Wade was laying on top of a table next to the ring game table rolling back and forth on his back laughing. We couldn't breathe. :lol

Danny has a nightmare that he was betting his own money. Danny Jones was the funniest human being. :D

Great story !
I've seen Danny betting his own and he never lost.
He'd drag a live one back in the corner on a 4x8 and quietly dry him out.

Nobody played harder getting staked then Danny. I never heard a whisper of anything wrong.

I remember you calling the Houston LeCue from Pasadena Tx. and asking Duke to play, he said okay you you said "hold on" I looked up 10 minutes later and he was still holding the phone. You got there in about 20 minutes
(record time) It was while you were living in San Antonio.
Rod.
P.S. Danny once ask my friend for $40.00 to go to Vegas. My friend said let me give you more you can't make it on $40 dollars.
Danny said I don't like to owe to much, anyway I got 20 good bite spots between here and Vegas.