Buddy Hall Hospitalized

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This was posted on AZ.

Buddy is in the Hospital - Yesterday, 07:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anybody who might be concerned. About four days ago Buddy kept falling asleep at Side Pockets. He was taken to the local hospital. I was told he had a small Brain Aneurysm pop. I guess you could say he had a stroke. I'm not a doctor. He was in serious condition but is doing better. I guess they also found a much larger more dangerous one that is still intact. I don't know his prognosis or when he is getting out etc. I haven't been around the the pool hall the last few weeks so i just heard from his cousin today. He is in Lourdes hospital in Paducah, Ky. He was staked to play in the 500 dollar entry bar box tournament in Metropolis this weekend, but obviously he won't be playing in it. That's all i know right now. I'll go visit him tomorrow if i can. John Crabb

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Thank you for letting us know. Buddy is a wonderful man. I know this must be a difficult time for him, having lost his wife recently.

Sweet blessings are coming to Buddy Hall.

I have many, many photos of Buddy Hall, but this one here is one of my faves. I didn't take it. Diana Hoppe did. It was at the 2003 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship, the first time the polka-dotted cueball was ever used. Keith missed a shot and said, "Buddy, I must have hit the wrong polka dot." Buddy cackled that famous laugh of his and couldn't wait to get the table for his turn. :D

Attachments

• Buddy rising to the occasion.JPG
    Buddy rising to the occasion.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

Bankin Ben

Verified Member
From
Millington TN.
So Sorry to hear this news about Buddy. Prayers and good wishes for a speedy recovery for him. JAM that pic you shared is awesome. Two of my favorite players of all time. The look on Keith's face told that story! The line he added even made that moment more hysterical!

JAM

Verified Member
So Sorry to hear this news about Buddy. Prayers and good wishes for a speedy recovery for him. JAM that pic you shared is awesome. Two of my favorite players of all time. The look on Keith's face told that story! The line he added even made that moment more hysterical!

I am glad you enjoyed it. I always get a chuckle when I look at that photo. :lol

I had not realized how tall Buddy Hall and Johnny Archer were compared to Keith. Keith is pretty tall. Well, he's taller than me, but look at how Buddy and Johnny tower over Keith in this photo at the Glass City Open. The lighting in the room was poor, but I hope you can still see it. :)

I was doing everything I could to get Keith away from Nick Varner right before this photo was taken. This was the first day, right before the players meeting, when the players gathered to practice. Keith was barking at Nick to play some one-pocket for a chunk of change, and Nick, much to my surprise, uncharacteristically, was barking right back at Keith and said, "Bring it on." :eek:

Attachments

• Archer Keith Buddy.JPG
    Archer Keith Buddy.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Here's a cute one of Buddy and the late Dave Bollman at the Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, North Carolina, at Gene Hooker's place, Fast Eddies. I wouldn't want to upset these two big guys ever. They're both looking mighty strong! ;)

Attachments

• Dave Bollman and Buddy Hall.JPG
    Dave Bollman and Buddy Hall.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
This photo was taken the first day I ever met Buddy Hall and his lovely wife. Buddy's wife Sherry said to me, "You and Keith look so happy. It is refreshing to see." She also shared some trials and tribulations of the pool lifestyle, which I will never forget. She was so sweet, and Buddy was a nice as nice could be to me. He still is whenever I run into him. I think he's that way with everybody. He has a strong sense of loyalty to the pool world and always wants to contribute in any way he can as a well-respected pool icon.

Attachments

• Keith Buddy and Buddy's lovely wife.jpg
    Keith Buddy and Buddy's lovely wife.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Here's another cute shot of Buddy sitting at the vendor booth during a tournament. He's always so generous with his time, allowing the fans to take photographs, sign autographs, et cetera.

Attachments

• betterbuddypicture.JPG
    betterbuddypicture.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Hopefully Buddy will overcome his health problems and return to playing the game we love watching him play. Buddy is a very strong man which has been evidenced when he played those long hours in tournament play..often playing from 10:00am till 2:00am on the Saturdays, (the day before the final day) in many of the tournaments he played. I'm betting on a great recovery if I know Buddy. :)

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thank you for letting us know. Buddy is a wonderful man. I know this must be a difficult time for him, having lost his wife recently.

Sweet blessings are coming to Buddy Hall.

I have many, many photos of Buddy Hall, but this one here is one of my faves. I didn't take it. Diana Hoppe did. It was at the 2003 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship, the first time the polka-dotted cueball was ever used. Keith missed a shot and said, "Buddy, I must have hit the wrong polka dot." Buddy cackled that famous laugh of his and couldn't wait to get the table for his turn. :D
Jenny, you're such a generous and considerate person, and once again you have shown the love you have for our game and the players that play it with the pictures you have shared here. Thanks for being a big part of what we do, as a player and a fan.

Tell Keith that I love him too, we had many battles and they will never be forgotten he's always been a special person/player in our game.

Bill Incardona

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
buddy was very nice to me when i met him at the tournament in tunica
hope he has a speedy recovery

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
This was posted on AZ.

Buddy is in the Hospital - Yesterday, 07:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anybody who might be concerned. About four days ago Buddy kept falling asleep at Side Pockets. He was taken to the local hospital. I was told he had a small Brain Aneurysm pop. I guess you could say he had a stroke. I'm not a doctor. He was in serious condition but is doing better. I guess they also found a much larger more dangerous one that is still intact. I don't know his prognosis or when he is getting out etc. I haven't been around the the pool hall the last few weeks so i just heard from his cousin today. He is in Lourdes hospital in Paducah, Ky. He was staked to play in the 500 dollar entry bar box tournament in Metropolis this weekend, but obviously he won't be playing in it. That's all i know right now. I'll go visit him tomorrow if i can. John Crabb

Great pictures. Great support and words from people who rely love Buddy. There is a reason why Buddy got such a great name. Hay Buddy He got that name because Buddy he is every body's Buddy.

Buddy lived his future and now he is living in the past. Like we all do when we get old. He is reflecting on his life. His Wife Family and friends . And all his great accomplishments tournaments road trips. And all the people who were part of his life. He played and enjoyed the game he loved pool.. Buddy is a special person and he has extraordinary ability and talent.

I have never seen any player put more effort and desire into winning then Buddy. Buddy won in the game of pool and he won in the game of life. Buddy shot down his opponents like shooting ducks at a shooting range. That's how he got his name the Rifleman. And he got the respect from all the players and people.Buddy has a lot of notches on his riffle.

Nobody wanted to play Buddy or draw him in there first match in the tournament. He was my favorite player to watch play and he was a favorites of the people and players. Because of all his desire and effort he put into the game and winning. Buddy was never a wise guy. He always gave the respect he got.

What I have seen in all of Buddy's matches is that if you ever played him you no you were playing the best. And Buddy deserves more credit in his One pocket and bank pool game. than what he got. Witch I stated years back when I was posting all the time. Buddy won a lot of matches just on his desire to win.

Where a lot of players gave up Buddy Hall was just beginning to play. The closer the game the better he got. Buddy is a Champion and a roll model. and one of the best. And he had all the correct tools to go with his caracter class and ability. Nobody did it better. Buddy shot down all his opponents and if the thought they had a chance of winning. They new they had to play there best game to win.

Because the were in a real dog fight.. That.s why Buddy got the name the Riffle man. Because he shot them all down. And he was not Chuck Conners. in the movie the rifleman. Buddy Hall was the real rifleman playing pool.

Buddy had what very few player have. A burning desire to win. A killer insticte.And the People like Keith Billy Ronnie Taylor Luther Lassiter Jersey Red Jimmy Reed Cole Dickson. Billy Johnson Freddy SJD John Henderson Eral Strickland Efren Rayess and all the tournament players. That knew Buddy. They all seen what great talent and ability and heart he has and played with.

I new Buddy we understood each other from the first time we met. And Buddy is a sincere honest man. And I hope his Journey continues for many years to come.Because we all love him and want him to enjoy his life and be part of our life and time.
Get well buddy we love you and need you were you belong back with us.

Thank you Buddy for being part of my life.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
My friend....

My friend....

....Louie Lemke was on the tour off and on in the 80's and he told me Buddy was the nicest guy he met.A real champion to many people.Hope you put another strong run together my friend,adieu,James

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
....Louie Lemke was on the tour off and on in the 80's and he told me Buddy was the nicest guy he met.A real champion to many people.Hope you put another strong run together my friend,adieu,James
The first and last time we ever talked about playing. Was when Buddy Hall was playing his best nine ball. And Buddy hall was in Chicago playing in a nine ball Tournament.

And Buddy Hall won the tournament. And I didn't no who Buddy Hall was when he came up to North Shore. And Buddy hall liked action. Because back then they didn't have all these tournaments. I herd of Buddy Hall but I never seen him before. And all the nine ball players came up to North Shore who were in town. And they wanted to see me play. They all new How good Buddy hall and all thee other players played.

Not to many players ever seen me play.And they wanted to see me and Buddy play one pocket. Buddy shot a lot better then I did. And he Banked a lot better to. I asked Buddy Hall to play some one pocket.Buddy asked for 8 to 6. playing one pocket. And I said you are one of the greatest shooters and bankers in the world. I cant spot some one who way out shoots me and out banks me. I will play you even. And Buddy said no.

And we both seen the respect for each other and we both new whatever we played it would be a battle and a war. Because we both played like we were playing for our blood. And whenever we ran into each other there was too much respect. So we never played or talked about playing each other again.

I did get some action playing eight ball with Jerry Howard we both played one handed. He lost 3 or 4 games. and he had enough. When all those players are around each other. It is very hard to get a game. Because a lot of those players. Don't want to loose because of there ego. And they don't want the other players seeing them loose. And there Ego and pride gets hurt. So they wont play or they ask for a redicoulous spot.

If you see the same player by himself or with a backer. They will play. But no with there pool piers all there watching them.

All I can say if Buddy Hall and I played one pocket even it would have been a tough game.For me Because of all the Talent and ability Buddy had.

All I can say Buddy Hall in his prime playing one pocket with me couching him. He could have beaton all the players. Because his Shooting banking and control and effort he put into winning. He could not have gotten beat. And Buddy would have gotten even stronger and more powerful. As the game went on. Because he would have been learning so much. That he would have drained all the energy out of his opponent.

What else would have made it even better. Buddy hall is a great learner and has that craving desire to improve his game.And Buddy could have played for two days. And it would have seemed like only a few hours. Because his whole focus and thinking would be on the game.And seeing what he is going to do on each shot. What People don't realize when I coach someone. I first ask them what they would do.

So when I give my opinion they can see the difference in what they would play. And what I would play. And they will start to see and understand. Why I choose a different shot then what he would have shot. And a Shooter always has his gun out ready to shot. Because that's where his mind is focused on shooting. That's what his mind recorded and learned.

They best way I cans describe a great Champion and a loving man.Who left his trade mark and name in every city and tournament. Buddy Hall The Rifleman. Buddy Hall is a Super Star. And he deserves to be in the bank pool and one pocket Hall of Fame. And I said this years ago. But One vote or one opinion does not get you in the hall of fame. Its up to everybody.

To me weather Buddy Hall gets voted in or not. He is in my hall off fame. To my Buddy. Buddy Hall. Thanks for being part of my life.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Buddy Hall was class from the first day he was born.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Jenny, you're such a generous and considerate person, and once again you have shown the love you have for our game and the players that play it with the pictures you have shared here. Thanks for being a big part of what we do, as a player and a fan.

Tell Keith that I love him too, we had many battles and they will never be forgotten he's always been a special person/player in our game.

Bill Incardona
That's great Billy. I feel the same way. Jenny is a beautiful name. And though I have never meet you I feel like I have know you as long as I have known Keith. So I fell its ok to tease you a little bit. So when I read Billy I reply.

And I seen Billy called you Jenny. A thought popped into my mind. Jenny You are Jam up. Just like everything you say and do. Happy Trails to you and Keith.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The first and last time we ever talked about playing. Was when Buddy Hall was playing his best nine ball. And Buddy hall was in Chicago playing in a nine ball Tournament.

And Buddy Hall won the tournament. And I didn't no who Buddy Hall was when he came up to North Shore. And Buddy hall liked action. Because back then they didn't have all these tournaments. I herd of Buddy Hall but I never seen him before. And all the nine ball players came up to North Shore who were in town. And they wanted to see me play. They all new How good Buddy hall and all thee other players played.

Not to many players ever seen me play.And they wanted to see me and Buddy play one pocket. Buddy shot a lot better then I did. And he Banked a lot better to. I asked Buddy Hall to play some one pocket.Buddy asked for 8 to 6. playing one pocket. And I said you are one of the greatest shooters and bankers in the world. I cant spot some one who way out shoots me and out banks me. I will play you even. And Buddy said no.

And we both seen the respect for each other and we both new whatever we played it would be a battle and a war. Because we both played like we were playing for our blood. And whenever we ran into each other there was too much respect. So we never played or talked about playing each other again.

I did get some action playing eight ball with Jerry Howard we both played one handed. He lost 3 or 4 games. and he had enough. When all those players are around each other. It is very hard to get a game. Because a lot of those players. Don't want to loose because of there ego. And they don't want the other players seeing them loose. And there Ego and pride gets hurt. So they wont play or they ask for a redicoulous spot.

If you see the same player by himself or with a backer. They will play. But no with there pool piers all there watching them.

All I can say if Buddy Hall and I played one pocket even it would have been a tough game.For me Because of all the Talent and ability Buddy had.

All I can say Buddy Hall in his prime playing one pocket with me couching him. He could have beaton all the players. Because his Shooting banking and control and effort he put into winning. He could not have gotten beat. And Buddy would have gotten even stronger and more powerful. As the game went on. Because he would have been learning so much. That he would have drained all the energy out of his opponent.

What else would have made it even better. Buddy hall is a great learner and has that craving desire to improve his game.And Buddy could have played for two days. And it would have seemed like only a few hours. Because his whole focus and thinking would be on the game.And seeing what he is going to do on each shot. What People don't realize when I coach someone. I first ask them what they would do.

So when I give my opinion they can see the difference in what they would play. And what I would play. And they will start to see and understand. Why I choose a different shot then what he would have shot. And a Shooter always has his gun out ready to shot. Because that's where his mind is focused on shooting. That's what his mind recorded and learned.

They best way I cans describe a great Champion and a loving man.Who left his trade mark and name in every city and tournament. Buddy Hall The Rifleman. Buddy Hall is a Super Star. And he deserves to be in the bank pool and one pocket Hall of Fame. And I said this years ago. But One vote or one opinion does not get you in the hall of fame. Its up to everybody.

To me weather Buddy Hall gets voted in or not. He is in my hall off fame. To my Buddy. Buddy Hall. Thanks for being part of my life.

Artie; Not trying to highjack your post, but, the guy you played at Freddy's "Northshore" club was , David Howard from Florida. Not Jerry Howard, he was one of the action guys around the "Rack" in Detroit!

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie; Not trying to highjack your post, but, the guy you played at Freddy's "Northshore" club was , David Howard from Florida. Not Jerry Howard, he was one of the action guys around the "Rack" in Detroit!

I am glad that you stuck me up. Because I don't like making mistakes. It lower my being correct percentage. Keep practicing those 13 rail 3 cushion billiard shots . That the pool players never seen. Yes !3 Rails. Do you believe it or not. an it be done. Yes or No. I say Maybe what do you people say

JAM

Verified Member

Bill Incardona

We both think the world of you, Billy. It is people like you that allow me to still have an appreciation for pool in all its glory.

I sometimes tire of reading the negativity that is written on pool forums about pool and its so-called "pros," but when I read words written by you and others who know what time of day it is in the pool world, it really helps me maintain my enthusiasm and passion for pool.

Keith wrote about a bank pool game up in Boston that you and he played. He said you both "shot the lights out" for hours and hours and hours. Keith said it was some of the best bank pool that he himself has played in which he said that you played as well, too. Great match. Oh, and he said you both did have a lot of fun cutting up with one another. :lol

Keith mentioned that you and he have been in quite a few "adventures," all quite entertaining, and hopefully, he wants to make one more run at it again somewhere down the line. :cool:

Keith said the first time he ever saw you was in Las Vegas when you were playing Bucktooth, giving him the 6-ball. He said that's when you were playing some of your best pool, ever. You shot him down and played really good.

Keep on keeping on, Billy. The pool world needs people like you more than ever to provide a little pool high and joy to folks like me. Plus, you're genuine pool alumni who actually lived through pool's golden years. Not too many can claim that title anymore. :)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

I failed my English class. But I made 4 times the amount of money my teacher got paid. I can say this honestly about school. It doesn't matter if you fail or pass your classes if you don't like school and that's not what you want to do or learn. Than school is not for you. School is great and it teaches you the tools you use and need in life.

That's not for everybody. Just like self made millionaires. We are all tied to the system. All I can say people in life learn what they want to learn. Not what someone wants them to learn or be. Your father might want you to be what he is or what business he is in. I say be what you want to be not what your father or someone else whats you to be.

Its your life and your choice what you want to be or do with your life. The person you have to answer to is Yourself.