Balls On Spot Scenario #1

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I've got a couple of scenarios that both came up in a cheap session last night and curious the way others/correct way to play both would be. Playing even.

Balls on spot scenario #1
You both need 2.
Your shot.

3balls.jpg

3ballsclose.jpg

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Here I'm just making a half ball hit on the head ball and laying the cue ball on the bottom rail around the 1st diamond from my opponents pocket

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Here I'm just making a half ball hit on the head ball and laying the cue ball on the bottom rail around the 1st diamond from my opponents pocket

thats the high % shot
if you are a good kicker here is another option
better to do with more balls on the spot
imho
dm1.jpg

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
What if the cue ball is in the middle of the end rail instead of in the pocket as shown (3 balls spotted), what's the shot then? I was just asked recently and didn't have a good answer.

I agree about not wanting to shoot the 2 rail kick in this instance, but 4 or more I like it.

Thanks,
Dave

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Two rail kick on this shot is not for me. If you shoot this with regularity and end up ok, then avoid me after I beat Mitch.

I don't shoot that shot unless there are 4 balls lined up.--Smitty

thats the high % shot
if you are a good kicker here is another option
better to do with more balls on the spot
imho
View attachment 13923

as i mentioned in my post
i agree safer shot with more balls in the line
also especially from where dustin left the cue ball
risky play

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
What if the cue ball is in the middle of the end rail instead of in the pocket as shown (3 balls spotted), what's the shot then? I was just asked recently and didn't have a good answer.

I agree about not wanting to shoot the 2 rail kick in this instance, but 4 or more I like it.

Thanks,
Dave

If the table rolls well, lag softly straight into the head ball. just enough oomph to get the rear ball to the rail.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
If the table rolls well, lag softly straight into the head ball. just enough oomph to get the rear ball to the rail.

Thanks, this is the shot my friend was thinking. My take on this is exactly as you wrote (and the most important part), "If the table rolls well..." - I had suggested to him that this is not the best shot because if you miss it slightly to one side or the other for whatever reason (table roll or miss hitting your spot) you can easily leave a bank or straight in depending on which side of the ball was missed.

That's why I posted about it to get your guy's take. THANKS!

Dave

baby huey

Verified Member
Forget the wwyd, I like the table and layout better. Looks like you can come right down and practice if you can't sleep. Very cool.

beatle

Verified Member
you can also bank the bottom ball to his rail and back to the middle short rail and bring him up table, especially if you are far enough out of the pocket to get a good cueball hit.

you dont like being up table here so why would he.

baby huey

Verified Member
Thin off the head ball and control your speed and let the cue ball nestle on the bottom rail as close to his pocket as is possible. If you get the cue ball on the rail it takes away most long banks to his hole and forces him to shoot defensively. The two rail kick can and often does go very bad leaving a cross corner bank to his hole and a free safety. Four or more balls on the spot might be a better situation for the two rail kick.

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I've got a couple of scenarios that both came up in a cheap session last night and curious the way others/correct way to play both would be. Playing even.

Balls on spot scenario #1
You both need 2.
Your shot.

View attachment 13919

View attachment 13920

Miller,

I think the standard shot is to thin off the head ball at an angle and speed for the cue ball to go to the long rail and then the bottom rail and freeze on the bottom rail. I think my main goal on this shot is to freeze the cue ball on the short rail.

kollegedave

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

if the cue ball is up at the middle diamond this shot can work but when playing from the corner pocket my experience is the head will will move away from the line of spotted balls and you can easily leave a short bank. keith

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Thanks,
Dave

if the cue ball is up at the middle diamond this shot can work but when playing from the corner pocket my experience is the head will will move away from the line of spotted balls and you can easily leave a short bank. keith

This was a repy to 12squared's question about CB in the middle of the end rail. :)