The Ghost's Very Good and Very Bad 2001 DCC

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
My first 4-1/2 days at the DCC were great.…but after waiting 51 weeks for this week to finally arrive, my final 3-1/2 days were really a bummer...

Days 1. & 2. Got in some practice on the always unfamiliar Diamond tables/cloth/rails (there are no Diamond tables at all in Chicago, so I never play on Diamonds)….....Enjoyed seeing again, and hanging out with all of my fellow One Pocket degenerates again - Don, 3 different Steve’s, Tim, George, Bernie, Doc, John, Ace, Deeman, Lou, Billy, Bob, Al, Rob, Carla, David, Tom…and also the guys I met for the first time - Keith, Simon, Greg, Gerry, and Lenny - all good guys - sorry, if I forgot anybody…....Bernie and I got in some good practice playing some One Pocket games together, and discussed our partners strategy....…I won a little bit gambling with a guy I gambled with last year…...John, Bernie and I are waiting to see when we'll be able to get in our partners match...

Day 3. My annual bad draw begins :( I draw Ike Runnels for my first match - sucks because he plays great One Pocket, and, he’s confident going into the match, knowing he’s the favorite to win against me - but, I‘m feeling good, hitting the balls good, and I‘m ready to play….He wins the lag, and wins the first game - this causes me to lose a couple of sweaters lol, including Greg (Cali-Red) - but, some of my other sweaters (Deeman, Ace, Steve, Rob & Carla) stick with me…

…I’m focused, determined and playing good - I win the next three games in a row, and the match....2 of the games aren’t close, I win them 8-1, 8-2....I am very much enjoying the DCC at this point...:)...

Day 4. The DCC schedule finally aligns so that Bernie, John and myself can start our partners game in the afternoon - we have about 5 hours to play before we have to play our various-time-scheduled evening matches…

Our partners game is a very close and competitive match…we’re all playing hard, but at the same time we’re having a lot of fun, complimenting each other, and joking with all the one pocket.org railbirds….as you all already know, John jumped out ahead 3-1, but team Ghost/Bernie shrugged off their deficit ;) won the next two, and tied it up 3-3.…we had to stop at this point for our upcoming evening matches…

PS, Deeman sharked me a little bit halfway through this partners match (just kidding Deeman) by telling me that the next rounds matches were just posted, and my next tournament match was against Filipino world 10 ball champion Dennis Orcullo…I guess the Billiard Gods figured that since I fronted them by beating Ike, they’d now pound on me a little more severely…:rolleyes:...

I lose my match with Orcullo….when a good mover plays against a world class shooter/champion like Orcullo, what you have to do is try to steer the games into moving games, not shooting games…depending on how the racks unfold in the beginning, sometimes you can do this, and sometimes you can’t - in my match against Orcullo, the racks didn’t open up the way I needed them to, and he ran a lot of balls.

Day 5. I wake up with a sore throat and not feeling so good…I slog through the day, mostly sitting in the stands sweating One Pocket matches, waiting for my next match to be called…..I’m called to play at 9:00 against a name I don't know - hey whaddaya know - maybe I got an easy match for a change..aah, NO....he's a young pro tour southern player…I don’t know him, but I look in the Jan. Inside Pool mag. and there he is, finishing in 2nd place last month in a big 9ball tournament - finishing ahead of Archer, Nevel, Daulton, Putnam, etc. lol…...9:00 comes and I’m feeling sicker now, but I somehow manage to focus and play well anyway - he shoots super-straight, but I can outmove him...couple of hours go by and we’re hill-hill and 6-6 in balls in the final game…several innings later I miss a 3-railer and leave him a tough thin slice - he makes it, then makes a straight back bank and wins the match…I try to sweat an 11:00 match with a couple of the guys, but feeling worse, I have to pull up and head to my room.

Days 6 & 7. I wake up sick and with a fever - spend all of Wednesday & Thursday sick in bed, paying $140 a night to be stuck in the room watching bad cable tv - when I’m not comatose.....don't get to finish the partners game - don't get to gamble with about 4 other guys that I'm supposed to gamble with - and don't get to hang out with the guys, watching the good matchups in the final 2 days of the One Pocket tournament, including the finals...:mad:

Day 8. Friday morning - still sick, but had to check out of the hotel and drive home anyway - 5 hours - was not a fun drive.

- Ghosty

PS, Hey Papie…since you decided not to go to the DCC, and be sick there - I did it for you.

PPS, Since I'm still sick, you'll notice I blearingly wrote the wrong DCC year in the thread title.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
My first 4-1/2 days at the DCC were great.…

Days 1. & 2. Got in some practice on the always unfamiliar Diamond tables/cloth/rails (there are no Diamond tables at all in Chicago, so I never play on Diamonds)….....Enjoyed seeing again, and hanging out with all of my fellow One Pocket degenerates again - Don, 3 different Steve’s, Tim, George, Bernie, Doc, John, Ace, Deeman, Lou, Billy, Bob, Al, Rob, Carla, David, Tom…and also the guys I met for the first time - Keith, Simon, Greg, Gerry, and Lenny - all good guys - sorry, if I forgot anybody…....Bernie and I got in some good practice playing some One Pocket games together, and discussed our partners strategy....…I won a little bit gambling with a guy I gambled with last year…...John, Bernie and I are waiting to see when we'll be able to get in our partners match...

Day 3. My annual bad draw begins :( I draw Ike Runnels for my first match - sucks because he plays great One Pocket, and, he’s confident going into the match, knowing he’s the favorite to win against me - but, I‘m feeling good, hitting the balls good, and I‘m ready to play….He wins the lag, and wins the first game - this makes me lose a couple of sweaters lol, including Greg (Cali-Red) - but, some of my other sweaters (Deeman, Ace, Steve, Rob & Carla) stick with me…

…I’m focused, determined and playing good - I win the next three games in a row, and the match....2 of the games aren’t close, I win them 8-1, 8-2....I am very much enjoying the DCC at this point...:)...

Day 4. The DCC schedule finally aligns so that Bernie, John and myself can start our partners game in the afternoon - we have about 5 hours to play before we have to play our various-time-scheduled evening matches…

Our partners game is a very close and competitive match…we’re all playing hard, but at the same time we’re having a lot of fun, complimenting each other, and joking with all the one pocket.org railbirds….as you all already know, John jumped out ahead 3-1, but team Ghost/Bernie shrugged off their deficit ;) won the next two, and tied it up 3-3.…we had to stop at this point for our upcoming evening matches…

PS, Deeman sharked me a little bit halfway through this partners match (just kidding Deeman) by telling me that the next rounds matches were just posted, and my next tournament match was against Filipino world 10 ball champion Dennis Orcullo…I guess the Billiard Gods figured that since I fronted them by beating Ike, they’d now pound on me a little more severely…:rolleyes:...

I lose my match with Orcullo….when a good mover plays against a world class shooter/champion like Orcullo, what you have to do is try to steer the games into moving games, not shooting games…depending on how the racks unfold in the beginning, sometimes you can do this, and sometimes you can’t - in my match against Orcullo, the racks didn’t open up the way I needed them to, and he ran a lot of balls.

Day 5. I wake up with a sore throat and not feeling so good…I slog through the day, mostly sitting in the stands sweating One Pocket matches, waiting for my next match to be called…..I’m called to play at 9:00 against a name I don't know - hey whaddaya know - maybe I got an easy match for a change..aah, NO....he's a young pro tour southern player…I don’t know him, but I look in the Jan. Inside Pool mag. and there he is, finishing in 2nd place last month in a big 9ball tournament - finishing ahead of Archer, Nevel, Daulton, Putnam, etc. lol…...9:00 comes and I’m feeling sicker now, but I somehow manage to focus and play well anyway - he shoots super-straight, but I can outmove him...couple of hours go by and we’re hill-hill and 6-6 in balls in the final game…several innings later I miss a 3-railer and leave him a tough thin slice - he makes it, then makes a straight back bank and wins the match…I try to sweat an 11:00 match with a couple of the guys, but feeling worse, I have to pull up and head to my room.

Days 6 & 7. I wake up sick and with a fever - spend all of Wednesday & Thursday sick in bed, paying $140 a night to be stuck in the room watching bad cable tv - when I’m not comatose.....don't get to finish the partners game - don't get to gamble with about 4 other guys that I'm supposed to gamble with - and don't get to hang out with the guys, watching the good matchups in the final 2 days of the One Pocket tournament, including the finals...:mad:

Day 8. Friday morning - still sick, but had to check out of the hotel and drive home anyway - 5 hours - was not a fun drive.

- Ghosty

PS, Hey Papie…since you decided not to go to the DCC, and be sick there - I did it for you.

Great report, Ghost. Sorry to hear you got the Derby Crud.

I was one of the sweaters your drove away playing Ike. I was up on the other side of the room upstairs by the balcony and saw the first game go down and thought it'd go ugly for you.

Congrats on your win against a *very* tough opponent.

Lou Figueroa

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
lfigueroa said:
Great report, Ghost. Sorry to hear you got the Derby Crud.

I was one of the sweaters your drove away playing Ike. I was up on the other side of the room upstairs by the balcony and saw the first game go down and thought it'd go ugly for you.

Congrats on your win against a *very* tough opponent.

Lou Figueroa

Thanks Lou....and let me say...I've very much enjoyed your excellent DCC reports/posts over the last few years.

- Ghost

Deeman

Verified Member
Ghost,

I got your crud, I guess I sweated to many of your great matches! :) I headed out at midnight on Friday night with no sleep and arrived here at 9:00am Alabama time.

You did well and I enjoyed seeing and spending time with all of you again.

DeeMan
Would never spook a ghost.... :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
My first 4-1/2 days at the DCC were great.…but after waiting 51 weeks for this week to finally arrive, my final 3-1/2 days were really a bummer...

PPS, Since I'm still sick, you'll notice I blearingly wrote the wrong DCC year in the thread title.
Ghosty,

I know you feel as bad as the Duck. I think you should both send your $300 up-money to me:p .

Seriously, I feel your pain & the Duck's too. I've had to listen to him bitch for a week now:( .

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
For you to hole up mid Derby, you had to really be sick. What a bummer -- specially since you were playing so well.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Rome 1960,Derby 2011

Rome 1960,Derby 2011

Same thing at the Summer Olympics in Rome,alot of the top American athlete's got real sick eating unwashed fruit and coming down into town jumping into ice cold rivers in the Alps and catching colds.After training for years also.Terrible timing.There's a wicked strain going around this year in the Midwest.Of course some good will present itself but when?Anyway it has been great getting the news from you guys.I was wondering when Freddie,Billy,Grady,Artie and John might add a snippet or three?The silence is deafening but reading between the lines is good practice for the future.Not much else to do right now in America except go to Dallas and make a few grand a day stripping and I'm way too Black to be comfortable around large groups of white men with dark glasses and bulges all over.Time for church,sayanara,James