2 to 1 on the money

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
I usually don't play better players and when I do and get spots I never win, I guess I just play different when I am getting the spot then when I give the spot. I was thinking I might be better off getting 2 to 1 on the money and playing 8/8 instead of getting 9/7. What ball count spot is equal to 2 to 1 on the money. Thanks

Tom

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I usually don't play better players and when I do and get spots I never win, I guess I just play different when I am getting the spot then when I give the spot. I was thinking I might be better off getting 2 to 1 on the money and playing 8/8 instead of getting 9/7. What ball count spot is equal to 2 to 1 on the money. Thanks

Tom

Depends on how you play vs. how your opponent plays.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Tom,

Here are my feelings on this subject.

He wins, you lose because he will never give/offer you a spot where you have the advantage. He is better, more knowledgeable, probably smarter, and more experienced.

Most importantly, time/length of game is on his side. When he takes intentional fouls and forces you to do likewise, he is lengthening the game. One pocket is a game of mistakes for amateur players, and each time you come to the table you are more likely to make a mistake than he.

If we are talking about a two ball difference between his game and yours, you are much better off at 8-6 than 9-7, and get those two balls off the table into your rack so as to limit his options.

Control of the table is also very important to you, so you need to break if you can get it. You want him taking the risks, not you, for as long as you can maintain control. It's pretty common to vary the spot if you are alternating breaks.

Playing two fouls loss of game instead of three can keep him from lengthening the game on you.

2 to 1 on the money is probably a good option as it keeps pressure on him to win 3 out of 3 to get ahead, especially if you can get the breaks, or maybe even the first break.

Finally, I wouldn't expect to get any of these concessions from him, cause he knows he could actually lose to you.

Good luck:)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Tom

I'm thinking 10/7 one game 11/7 the next.

There was a thread dedicated to money odds in comparison to ball spreads, Maybe Rodney will help you locate it.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tom,

Playing two fouls loss of game instead of three can keep him from lengthening the game on you.

2 to 1 on the money is probably a good option as it keeps pressure on him to win 3 out of 3 to get ahead, especially if you can get the breaks, or maybe even the first break.

I think these are two really good pieces of advice.

If I ever take a spot for serious money (unlikely) it's going to be two fouls for him, three for me as part of the mix.

If I take a spot it's because I want to play. If I give one it's because I want to win. There's just no future in taking a spot if you're expecting to play more than a few games, unless you have your opponent badly confused about your relative skill levels, and can keep him there.

Regarding Dr. Bill's 10-7, 11-7, I would have said 9-6, 10-6. If you can't win at 9-7, I don't think you can win one game out of 3 at 8-8 unless the added pressure on your opp affects his play. (Might be worth a try for that reason alone, and he might give it to you not thinking of that.... but keep in mind that I don't play for serious money.)

Good post Moose.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I'm thinking 10/7 one game 11/7 the next.

There was a thread dedicated to money odds in comparison to ball spreads, Maybe Rodney will help you locate it.

Dr. Bill

Tom,

If you think the good Doctor knows of what he speaks, then the 2 for 1 proposition is at least a ball better than what you are now getting. If not, well, I have heard the Doctor is known to play backer on occasion. :heh:heh