Attn: Frank Almanza - Need help with a picture

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Mary Kenniston is trying to identify the guy with the ? Do you know who it is? Or any other corrections in the names below? Also, any story you can share with us about this moment in your life?

EDIT: Cole Dixon is not in this photo, nor is any family of his, or future family of his. Thank you for checking though!

Top row: Wayne Putnam, ? Yamasaki, Darlene Stinson, Robin Dodson, Lydia Cabrillo, Brenda Humble Darby, Kristi Ortega, Lynn Putnam & Willie Malu

Bottom row: Roy Yamane, Ron Sakahara, Tim Padgett, "Frank The Barber" Almanza, Ken Yoshide, Bobby Yamasaki, ? & Mark Chapman

'88 McDermott US Team Open Championships - Las Vegas, NV

Can anyone ID the mystery man?

Photo Courtesy of Tim Padgett
88 mcdermott us team open championships.jpg

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
CaliRed said:
damn!!! I forgot to specify that him, any relation to him, or any future relation to him, was NOT in the picture!:D

You got me!

I would bet major $$$ there are no known players in that photo Except for Da Barber....(I would swear that is Cole Dixon... forth from the left, standing in blue shirt)...:D

Nice McDermott/League player's grouping though....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CaliRed said:
Mary Kenniston is trying to identify the guy with the ? Do you know who it is? Or any other corrections in the names below? Also, any story you can share with us about this moment in your life?

EDIT: Cole Dixon is not in this photo, nor is any family of his, or future family of his. Thank you for checking though!

Top row: Wayne Putnam, ? Yamasaki, Darlene Stinson, Robin Dodson, Lydia Cabrillo, Brenda Humble Darby, Kristi Ortega, Lynn Putnam & Willie Malu

Bottom row: Roy Yamane, Ron Sakahara, Tim Padgett, "Frank The Barber" Almanza, Ken Yoshide, Bobby Yamasaki, ? & Mark Chapman

View attachment 2752

Cali, what is the date of this picture?

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Clare said:
Cali, what is the date of this picture?
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess ..... 1988:D

and NO, you can't call me a smartass either! It would hardly be any fun to just reply 1988 how boring would that be?

CaliRed said:
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess ..... 1988:D

and NO, you can't call me a smartass either! It would hardly be any fun to just reply 1988 how boring would that be?

Cali, you are usually a smart-ass, but this time you weren't. :eek: (you're slippin) Since Frank is in this picture, he should def be able to help out. In the meantime, I have a female friend whom I just sent the pic to and I think she might be of some help.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
I would bet major $$$ there are no known players in that photo Except for Da Barber....(I would swear that is Cole Dixon... forth from the left, standing in blue shirt)...:D

Nice McDermott/League player's grouping though....:rolleyes:

I know six of the players well, including Frank, and they could all play, especially for working stiffs.

I believe this team won one of the events in Las Vegas.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
I know six of the players well, including Frank, and they could all play, especially for working stiffs.

I believe this team won one of the events in Las Vegas.[/QUOTE

Did you no the barbar that hung out at tropacana were Richie Frorence hun out. He couldnt play.

But we would bet 50 or 100 dollars a game. This was many years ago. I new he was a good man too play.

He spotted me 8 to 4 and Tex played me 8 to 2 If you remember those two guys.

I got pretty good action thier. And Sterling yous too drive me around.

And I played popcorn later on and a Chinaman one pocket in another pool room out thier. I never kepte track off all the pool rooms.

But Don watson hung out thier too were Popcorn played. I also remember a gig stong Blong guy. He was a real tough guy.

I think you would remember these people and the pool rooms. The bars were good action too.

I hope I gave sme off the wright names. And you will no better than anyone about these people.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:

I believe this team won one of the events in Las Vegas.

I agree, lots of good players are not household names..:cool:

junior

Verified Member
Cool pic. Was this a bar table 8-ball event?

The guy labeled "Ken Yoshide" looks very much like a player named Ken Hoshide. Probably one of the people JH was referring to. Someone can correct me if that's not him.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
junior said:

The guy labeled "Ken Yoshide" looks very much like a player named Ken Hoshide. Probably one of the people JH was referring to. Someone can correct me if that's not him.

Hoshide is correct. Ken is a very solid player. Bought The Golden Cue in South El Monte from my old friend Indian Joe Monzingo several years ago.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
junior said:

That is Ken Hoshide the owner of the Golden Cue and a great one pocket player.

This was a team eight ball tournament on the bar table played at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. Get your best players from your area and go at it. We played the event four times and won the title twice.

This particular year one of the teams we played against had our own Billy I. and others that I believe were Larry Swartz, Dallas West and ahhh I can't remember. It was a strange game played with points for each ball.

I think it was the year that I played John Abruzzo in the finals for the singles. We played a perfect match, a run out on every break. If my memory serves me right I lost because in the last break and run I made I also made one of his balls on the break. What a way to lose.

junior

Verified Member
Thanks, John and Frank, for the verification. I had the opportunity to meet Ken and see him play some years back. He is a classy guy.

Frank Almanza said:
This was a team eight ball tournament on the bar table played at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. Get your best players from your area and go at it. We played the event four times and won the title twice.

Damn, that is strong.:eek:

...If my memory serves me right I lost because in the last break and run I made I also made one of his balls on the break. What a way to lose.

I have never heard of scoring the balls in 8ball. Why on earth did they do it that way? Yeah, that's a lousy way to lose.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
junior said:
Thanks, John and Frank, for the verification. I had the opportunity to meet Ken and see him play some years back. He is a classy guy.

Damn, that is strong.:eek:

I have never heard of scoring the balls in 8ball. Why on earth did they do it that way? Yeah, that's a lousy way to lose.

The have destroyed the eight ball rules.

They are horrable they need too change bad. I would make them some good rules. If they want me too.

I no they game and I no what tournemets want. Even though I have been away for25 years from pool.

But I no what the rules should be. If some one wants me too wright some I will.

If not No sense wrighting them.And maybe they will use them. they have realy done a job on eight ball rules.

I would like too talk too the person hwl made them. Will he be at the one pocket and 10 ball in Las Vegas? May 12.

I am realy couriuos what this person or more then one person. How they arived at these rules?

jwp

Artie Bodendorfer said:
The have destroyed the eight ball rules....

But I no what the rules should be. If some one wants me too wright some I will.
I can't do anything about the rules. But just for my own knowledge, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd be interested in seeing what they should be. I like seeing rules of games and trying to work out why people thought they ought to be one way instead of some other way that looks like maybe it would be just as good until you think about it some.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jwp said:
I can't do anything about the rules. But just for my own knowledge, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd be interested in seeing what they should be. I like seeing rules of games and trying to work out why people thought they ought to be one way instead of some other way that looks like maybe it would be just as good until you think about it some.

The rules are not bad thier Horable and a discrace too the game. Howe the butched up the rules.

And I will make some good rules. And Rules that make sense. Not some Howeddy Doody Rules.

It wil take some time. Thats what they should have done when they made the rules they made.

And changed the old rules.A person who makes rules should pass a Qualifying test too make them.

Not just get too say I get too make the rules. And thats what we play by.

And if a rule is not working. Then it needs too be changed to something that will work.

Not makeing a worse rule then what it was. And the first rule too change you scratch on the eightball you loose.

If you make the eight ball and scratch you loose dont you. If you miss making the eight ball and dont scratch you dont loose.

But thier are meny rules that need too change. The Brake rules. Come from another planit.

They most have made those rules for space so the balls could floate around.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
jwp said:

A guy took me to a pool spot many years ago.
When we walked in the door two guys were rolling around under a 4x8 table.
I said man what kind of place is this.
He said pay no attention to them they're playing 8 ball and they're just
getting the rules straight.:D :p
Rod.