efren/scott #348

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
With Efren's talent, there are 5 or 6 shots that he could execute flawlessly. He could even pocket the 1 or the 10, but those wouldn't get him much.

I might try taking a swing at the 7-5 balls. If they're laying right the 7 could carom/bank off the 5 to my hole, the 5 would go to the stack or uptable, and the CB would go into the stack. Otherwise I'd have to choose something else...;)

Be interesting to see what the master does...

~Doc
p.s. Frost's substantial 2008 victory in this contest was the one that raised him to the top of the heap.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I agree (which means we're both wrong and it's a sell out shot--the hacker will tell us why).

No Cary.. if its FREE its not a sell out.. HEY you are starting to learn.. There might be some hope for your game after all.. although don't get too excited about your game.. Can't make ice cream out of horseshit.. :lol

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
No Cary.. if its FREE its not a sell out.. HEY you are starting to learn.. There might be some hope for your game after all.. although don't get too excited about your game.. Can't make ice cream out of horseshit.. :lol

See there, I knew I was wrong and that you'd let me know why.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
For several months now, I've been working on developing the proper feel for this very type of shot. It comes up quite frequently especially when the side pocket plays a role in the direction the cue ball must travel in the course of a normal shot. It also can come in very handy when faced with a dead straight in shot along the end rail and there is a need to find an angle for position.

Rail first kick on the one ball. This changes the angle of approach on the one and allows for good position on the ten if the one is made. The shot is relatively safe and offers great offensive potential. It is also not a difficult shot to gauge the angle and even if the ball is not made it creates problems for SF.

Any other shot that I see in this situation provides little positive expectations as compared to the risks. The eight ball shot if not made could easily give up a bank and it also sends another ball to SF's side of the table. Cutting the ten looks to be a very difficult shot even if the cue ball passes that last ball in the stack. Hit that ball a touch full and you sell out. Any bank on the balls along SF's side of the table is reliant on a perfect hit which is not likely considering the cue ball's location.

I like the kick on the one.

Tom

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Looks like the 8 ball is on.

Bill S.

I like this shot as good as any, seems like the angle is there to drop behind the 6ball as well. This shot is a much easier shot to execute than most other options yet yields high returns in several possible ways.

I also like Docs shot on caroming the 7ball off the 5ball sending the cue ball toward the stack, however, that option demands an accurate hit not quite sure if that's my kind of shot..but for Reyes it very well could be his choice.

Bill Incardona

keoneyo

Verified Member
Coming of the 5 ball sends the 13 towards Efrens pocket and opens his side of the table while keeping opponents side still blocked. Its imperative that he drop down behind the 6 as to not leave a cross bank. I think with Efrens skill as a straight rail billiardist he can easily do that.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Shoot the 5/13 combo, drop whitey to the foot rail behind the six.

I thought you liked banking the four. What are you, schizo? I'm just kiddin. I love this shot. It looks like it could be like a dead combo carom situation, allowing you to drop nicely for the six, making it the supreme shot here..

keoneyo

Verified Member
Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't this match put up by the promoters and no money was laid on the line by either players. I know that Efren drove in particularly for this match as he was in LA just before.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
For several months now, I've been working on developing the proper feel for this very type of shot. It comes up quite frequently especially when the side pocket plays a role in the direction the cue ball must travel in the course of a normal shot. It also can come in very handy when faced with a dead straight in shot along the end rail and there is a need to find an angle for position.

Rail first kick on the one ball. This changes the angle of approach on the one and allows for good position on the ten if the one is made. The shot is relatively safe and offers great offensive potential. It is also not a difficult shot to gauge the angle and even if the ball is not made it creates problems for SF. ... I like the kick on the one. Tom
That's one shot that I didn't see. If a guy is used to that type of wide angle kick, it could be a good choice. But he'd have to assure that the CB heads for that 5-13 "pocket". If the shot missed and the cueball is (A) short-- it leaves a shot on the 5-ball, or (B) long-- it might open up the cluster for the opponent, or even leave a shot on the 6-ball.

~Doc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
bstroud:

Looks like the 8 ball is on.
Bill I:
I like this shot as good as any, seems like the angle is there to drop behind the 6ball as well. This shot is a much easier shot to execute than most other options yet yields high returns in several possible ways.
Are you guys talking about caroming the 8 off the 12? Doesn't that risk the CB and 12 meeting up in front of Scott's pocket? Or are the angles and timing more obvious than I think?

pj <- love learning from these wwyd's
chgo

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
This was a great match filled with fantastic shots, certainly a classic. Here is the link the preview of it and if you are interested in the 2 disc set then shoot me a PM.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QvwI0OucrQ8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Wow. If you watch that preview, you can see (at the 25 second mark) that Efren chose your shot Tom! And executed it perfectly! Well I just learned something. Great call.

Rail first kick on the one ball. This changes the angle of approach on the one and allows for good position on the ten if the one is made. The shot is relatively safe and offers great offensive potential. It is also not a difficult shot to gauge the angle and even if the ball is not made it creates problems for SF.

Any other shot that I see in this situation provides little positive expectations as compared to the risks. The eight ball shot if not made could easily give up a bank and it also sends another ball to SF's side of the table. Cutting the ten looks to be a very difficult shot even if the cue ball passes that last ball in the stack. Hit that ball a touch full and you sell out. Any bank on the balls along SF's side of the table is reliant on a perfect hit which is not likely considering the cue ball's location.

I like the kick on the one.

Tom