Purposefully prolonging a game of one pocket

tylerdurden

Verified Member
My meaning being have you purposefully taken shots in a game of one pocket that you felt were a lower win % for you, just to make the guy suffer for the rest of the set perhaps (or enter your reason). You'd only be doing this if you pretty much knew you had the game locked up.

You could also do this to get a table you are not familiar with down (and maybe he is already familiar with the table). It could also get an offensive powerhouse into a funk.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My meaning being have you purposefully taken shots in a game of one pocket that you felt were a lower win % for you, just to make the guy suffer for the rest of the set perhaps (or enter your reason). You'd only be doing this if you pretty much knew you had the game locked up.

You could also do this to get a table you are not familiar with down (and maybe he is already familiar with the table). It could also get an offensive powerhouse into a funk.

Often.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Yes to all the above.....except the part about getting an offensive powerhouse into a funk. :sorry Any time you have a chance to win a game against an offensive powerhouse,.......take a little advice....shoot his "nuts" in.:D

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I've had situations where I was losing a game badly, say six or seven to minus one. All the balls are up table and out of play. Not much hope for the home team if you know what I mean. I sometimes will intentually play safe and squeeze as though I were ahead by that score just to send a message to my opponent that I am not going to give in an inch, even in the most hopeless of games. It can be very frustrating to have a game virtually won but have it drag out for long periods of time. You never know what might happen. A scratch can change everything.

Tom

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
This was Arthur B's game.

I know a lot of people didn't look for a re-match with him not because they didn't think they could win but because of how slow he played and the torture he would put them thru.

How could you play 6 ahead with a guy that keeps wanting to set the record for the longest game ever played.

To put it in perspective, Freddy looks like he's on speed compared to Arthur and they played each other so much that you couldn't shark Freddy going to a slow tempo.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Only an idiot would do this if they were winning. Every shot a game goes on is another opportunity for you to lose. If you have a fair chance to win then close it out. If you are losing then there is no such thing as "purposely prolonging a game", that is what gives you the opportunity to win.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
while you are prolonging the game you could be beating him another one.
i stall all the time and that prolongs the game but that is for a better reason.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
We used to play 1P with a guy whose wife would always call and tell him she was ready for him to come home so they could go eat dinner or whatever. We would drag the game out for so long he would finally start shooting crazy shots or else just quit. We all had a good laugh as he would keep saying the wife is going to kill me if I don't get home quick.---Smitty

tylerdurden

Verified Member
^That is a good one. There are many reasons I can think of to do this, and it really is pretty easy to make a game real long if you'd like.

blindlemon

Verified Member
I once played a fellow that was , I guess you could say rude. We were not playing for much and I wasn't striking the ball very well that day. He kept laughing at my expense and shooting needless circus shots. I asked him to up the bet the next game and decided I would squeeze him until blood ran from his eyes. For 3 and 1/2 hrs ( 1 game ) I never let him breath. I wouldn't shoot at my hole if you had put a gun to my head, I was going to punish him and I did. Funny thing all that squeezing put me in stroke and when I got ready I ran 8 & out. He quit by throwing his cue across the room. we never played again.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Yeah, it is true, this is a very good way to lose action, noted by somebody here about Artie's game. I don't know about east coast one pocket, but on the west coast guys seem to think it is their right to decide when you shoot or not.... if the games aren't going fast enough there is a lot of complaining, and a lot of lost action.

Skin

Verified Member
During my advancing years I have come to prefer only playing reasonable people. Some guys take more time than others, but as long as they aren't deliberately slow playing or otherwise trying to pull a juvenile stunt, I'm OK with it. Of course, I don't have to worry about getting action if I don't want to play any particular guy. For some unknown reason, they all are sure they can beat me. :eek: :D

Skin

John Brumback

Verified Member
A wise ole hustler once said.... if your "on the stall" playin onepocket "shoot the second or third best shot" His reason being...so you don't lose the customer. John B.

PS: works in bankpool too:lol

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
A wise ole hustler once said.... if your "on the stall" playin onepocket "shoot the second or third best shot" His reason being...so you don't lose the customer. John B.

Great thought John,
I've used that method many times. Rather than shoot to miss slightly I would simply take shots which had natural risks of failure either by missing the shot, getting out of line earlier than if I had played the proper pattern and then having to play a safety, or in the case of the end game not strive to get balls out of play when I had a big lead. Some of these decisions would work anyway but due to percentages these poor choices would keep my opponent in the contest longer, which gave him a false sense of competitive equality.

Tom

tylerdurden

Verified Member

John, switching threads on you here, what do you put the make percentage for efren on that bank where he shoots the 8 in his hole and comes down and gets where he pleases on that stripe near scott's rail ("efren frost again" thread)

John Brumback

Verified Member
John, switching threads on you here, what do you put the make percentage for efren on that bank where he shoots the 8 in his hole and comes down and gets where he pleases on that stripe near scott's rail ("efren frost again" thread)

I'm thinking about 7 out of 10.John B.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Oh wow, that is a lot lower than i thought. Maybe i'm wrong in that thread then lol :)

Yeah right LOL LOL LOL ask all these guys if they want to let Efren shoot at 7 out of 10... 7 is a push.. 6 or lower Efren loses 8 or more he wins Efren is ****ing stealing unbelievable By the way before someone says you got a bet... Efren only has to bank the 15 ball on the ones he gets perfect on, otherwise if he got bad he would just roll in the 6 ball and freeze him. If anyone thinks Efren is only going to make the 15 ball bank 7 out of 10 times (when he gets perfect on it!!!) they need to quit smoking that shit....
My crystal ball says that Billy I will be the next one to reply to this thread

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yeah right LOL LOL LOL ask all these guys if they want to let Efren shoot at 7 out of 10... 7 is a push.. 6 or lower Efren loses 8 or more he wins Efren is ****ing stealing unbelievable By the way before someone says you got a bet... Efren only has to bank the 15 ball on the ones he gets perfect on, otherwise if he got bad he would just roll in the 6 ball and freeze him. If anyone thinks Efren is only going to make the 15 ball bank 7 out of 10 times (when he gets perfect on it!!!) they need to quit smoking that shit
Continuing with the hijack, Rob these people make valid points when they say that position first must be obtained to continue your run with banking the 15ball. Which by the way you endorsed when you said that Reyes only will shoot the bank when he ends up in line for it. :D Correct. Which then makes the cross bank a better option, because you're already in line for the cross bank (less traveling for position) which in turn enables you to reach the "two hole"a much higher % of the time.

I could continue and add much more to support the cross bank option, however, it's not the thread to do it.:sorry

Maybe at the Derby we can make some sort of a prop with both options.:D

Dr. Bill