Old player pic

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
So, Bob Maidoff (Drexeline billiards) just posted this pic, and I thought that some of you guys might appreciate it, and be able to name some or all of the players. I know I can't. (Sorry)

Here you go...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431392805.287946.jpg

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
So, Bob Maidoff (Drexeline billiards) just posted this pic, and I thought that some of you guys might appreciate it, and be able to name some or all of the players. I know I can't. (Sorry)

Here you go...

View attachment 12222

Mitch; from L-R, Andrew Ponzi, Jimmy Caras, ?, ?, ?, Willie Mosconi, Edwin Rudoph, ?, Benny Allen, ?, Ralph Greenleaf.

Best to my memory!

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Mitch; from L-R, Andrew Ponzi, Jimmy Caras, ?, ?, ?, Willie Mosconi, Edwin Rudoph, ?, Beeny Allen, ?, Ralph Greenleaf.

Best to my memory!
Good eye, Bill. Of the 11 tuxedoed men, L-R, Mosconi is #4, Frank Taberski #5, and it might be James Maturo #10-- beside Greenleaf.

That #3 guy looks real familiar, but I can't come up with a name. I suspect that picture was taken in the early 1930's.

~Doc

Ed Wiggins

Verified Member

Ah, yes! The old "part your hair in the middle" days!

A useful tool that sometimes works (it did in this case) ls
https://www.tineye.com/

Just upload a copy of the picture.

EW

Attachments

• 1933.jpg
    1933.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Great find, Ed! I'll have to keep a copy of that URL for future use.

I was right guessing Frank Taberski, but wrong about Joseph Ferguson. Ferguson apparently was a referee of the day and an official with the National Billiard Association.

George Kelly is the guy who I thought looked familiar. I suspect that he was the guy who later became known as "Spin-the-ball George", who was a genius at spinning the CB around the table 3 rails by hand to run racks. I saw him in 1968 at the World Invitational tournament. He'd become an old man by then, but he still dazzled everyone (and would bet it up) with his abilities.

Cheers~
Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Great find, Ed! I'll have to keep a copy of that URL for future use.

I was right guessing Frank Taberski, but wrong about Joseph Ferguson. Ferguson apparently was a referee of the day and an official with the National Billiard Association.

George Kelly is the guy who I thought looked familiar. I suspect that he was the guy who later became known as "Spin-the-ball George", who was a genius at spinning the CB around the table 3 rails by hand to run racks. I saw him in 1968 at the World Invitational tournament. He'd become an old man by then, but he still dazzled everyone (and would bet it up) with his abilities.

Cheers~
Doc
George Kelly figures into 'Patcheye' Jaffar Basheer's interview as the guy he (Patch) learned the most from.

Ed Wiggins

Verified Member
Wrong George

Wrong George

George Kelly was not "Spin-the-Ball" George.
He was, however, the uncle of actress Grace Kelly, Princess of Monaco.

There is an article about "Spin the Ball George" Cook, in the Dec. 1996 issue of Pool & Billiard Magazine. It reports several "tales" of shots that some of the old time players saw him accomplish He apparently owned a poolroom in Miami and was in action in the 1950s. He died in 1959.

Regards,

Ed

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting post. If Cook was in fact STBG, and he did die in 1959, then there was another guy imitating his prowess in NY in '68.

I did some research. I believe the guy I saw was "Cue Ball Kelly" (Carl Zingale). He was able to do fantastic trick shots with his hand (s).

~Doc

SC Hollywood

From
Gaston, South Carolina
1933 National Pocket Billiards Tourney

1933 National Pocket Billiards Tourney

See attached Image, listed are the names of all of the players.

Attachments

• 1933 National Pocket Billiards Tourney.jpg
    1933 National Pocket Billiards Tourney.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Old player pic

Here is a picture of one of the other cool pics in Bob's room. I know that's fatty on the right and Grady, but I'm not sure who's on the left. I'm sure you guys know. Would love to know what the discussion was about. Looks like fatty spinning some yarns LOL
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435062424.522370.jpg.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Great pic of the greatest story teller of my life, seems the crew there were interested also. :)
Rod.
P.S. For a rib, we'd get in a circle around him and one by one start backing up. He'd grab you and make you stay. When the story was over, everyone was still there. :D He was the greatest.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Just seeing this thread for the first time. I will add an old photo of Erwin Rudolph that is a 1-off press photo from 1941. I also have a press photo of Shorty.

Shorty:

Dave