shot from the other night

bstroud

Verified Member
I guess most of you have not gambled like I have in some of the toughest pool rooms in the US. Perhaps they don't even exist today.

Everything happens.

I was playing 9 ball in a Black pool room on Forest Ave. in Dallas years ago.
I was betting a lot on the rail and it took time to cover all the bets.

I was running out and had the 9 on the spot and the seven up table near the end rail. As I lined up to shoot the 7 a railbird jumped up to make a bet. By the time I got back to shoot the 7 and play position on the 9 guess what?

The 9 was in the middle of the end rail. What am I supposed to do? Claim foul and ball in hand? You're dreaming! I just banked the 9 end rail, made it and went on like nothing happened.

Now you're going to quit because you think putting the cue ball against the edge of the pocket is Illegal? What kind of pool is that.

There must be a new morality in pool that I am not familiar with.
You make the rules before you play! A foul is a foul. You spot a ball. That's the rule.

Perhaps you need to bet more money.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
I agree but it was still a fun shot to see. :D

I think it was a great shot.
I would like to see him do it again. Especially the 3 rail part and leave his opponent straight in.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bstroud said:
I guess most of you have not gambled like I have in some of the toughest pool rooms in the US. Perhaps they don't even exist today.

Everything happens.

I was playing 9 ball in a Black pool room on Forest Ave. in Dallas years ago.
I was betting a lot on the rail and it took time to cover all the bets.

I was running out and had the 9 on the spot and the seven up table near the end rail. As I lined up to shoot the 7 a railbird jumped up to make a bet. By the time I got back to shoot the 7 and play position on the 9 guess what?

The 9 was in the middle of the end rail. What am I supposed to do? Claim foul and ball in hand? You're dreaming! I just banked the 9 end rail, made it and went on like nothing happened.

Now you're going to quit because you think putting the cue ball against the edge of the pocket is Illegal? What kind of pool is that.

There must be a new morality in pool that I am not familiar with.
You make the rules before you play! A foul is a foul. You spot a ball. That's the rule.

Perhaps you need to bet more money.

Bill S.
Thanks for the tip, i'll stay away from Forest Ave.:eek:

Billy I.

beatle

Verified Member
unless you are standing right over him the opponent may push it against the rail. not much to argue about if you want to stay in action. as bill said thats the way it is.

if before the shot you get to argue over what he can do and cant do. you make an agreement. or have that lined out before the game.

most times i have just made him do the shot over and not push it frozen. hard to argue with that compromise.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There's no rule against using the tip of your cue and legally very lightly stroking to softly roll the cue ball against the tit -- the sportsmanship rule comes into play if you press and stick to freeze the ball there.

What I have seen, if you take the scratch and your opponent does too, then now that they are off the hill you can go ahead and kick at the ball, since it is no longer game ball, and even if you miss the kick, there will not be a single lone ball on the spot waiting to get picked off, so you have a slim chance of survival :)

bstroud

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Thanks for the tip, i'll stay away from Forest Ave.:eek:

Billy I.

Probably not there anymore. Great pool room. Everybody bet.

Miss those kinds of places. Pool rooms seem so sterile now.

People only bet on sure things. What happened?

Billy S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CaliRed said:
I thought I remember some discussion several months ago, about these type of shots. Something about it was frowned upon for anyone taking intentional scratches when left in the jaws, by freezing them on the point.

Is is perfectly fine to take a intentional scratch, by rolling up against the point and cornerhooking him? Nobody would look at that, as doing anything wrong, correct?

I got confused somewhere, and I'm just trying to get unconfused.
In tournament play, it's not legal to trap the CB on the facing of the pocket (or anywhere else) by means of a double hit or push. In a private match, if the issue hasn't been discussed prior to the match (which it probably hasn't), then what happens next is up to the negotiating skills of the players.;)

Doc