US 1Pocket Invitees

Skin

Verified Member
How about inviting that kid from Minneapolis, Jesse Engel, to this? He might hold up pretty well through the rounds and it would give him a chance to maybe make more of a name for himself. It is not often that a kid that age (18/19) shows talent and interest in 1p. It'd be good for the game and the toruney, imho.

Skin

thebaby

Verified Member
justification please

justification please

I'm a little confused.can somebody please start explaining the qualifications to be in this major event.Is this the (U.S.OPEN ONE POCKET CHAMPIONSHIPS)thought only the best would be in this tournament,lets go down the list,name by name and lets see if we can let the pool community understand what this tournament stands for.I'm not a little confused,i'm very much confused.let's get this thread started,i'm very much interested in reading other people thought's.Maybe who you voted for and why.I understand there are more than qualified players on this list.But are we doing the game good .what if this tournament was televised around the world,with millions of viewers,I personally believe we should, if were ever going to get pool in the spot light like other sports(WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO SET THE BAR HIGH)This might be a beginning,or it might not,but let's remember that the people who put these major event's together need our help also,they try and do the right thing,but we all make mistakes.Let's look at the (U.S.OPEN )in golf,does it take the best golfers in the WORLD for this event.why is it televised around the world,viewed by million's of people.Is it because there show casing the best golfers in the world,I believe that,and that's why i believe this sport should do the same.come on people i want to here your opinions...................

Last edited:

onepocketchump

Verified Member
thebaby said:
I'm a little confused.can somebody please start explaining the qualifications to be in this major event.Is this the (U.S.OPEN ONE POCKET CHAMPIONSHIPS)thought only the best would be in this tournament,lets go down the list,name by name and lets see if we can let the pool community understand what this tournament stands for.I'm not a little confused,i'm very much confused.let's get this thread started,i'm very much interested in reading other people thought's.Maybe who you voted for and why.

The only qualification to be in the event is that you get your entry fee in on time and in time to grab an open spot. The qualification to receive an invitation which just means that a spot is held for you until you accept it or decline it is that you have shown that you are a major one pocket player either through tournament play, gambling or both.

The tournament stands as the pinnacle of one pocket events in America. Winning the US Open means you took on all comers who dared to enter.

To me winning the 1p at Derby City seems a little tougher with the higher amount of entrants and the short races BUT the DCC event attracts a LOT of bangers who are just in it for the "player pass" and not a threat to beat Helen Keller.

The US Open should be packed with mostly players who are near shortstop speed or better when it comes to one pocket. Thus it's the tougher field match by match and of course carries the more prestigious title.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
markgriffin said:
WOW -

Remember this event started as a 32 man field. We went and picked ONLY those that had come in 1st or 2nd in a major event.

Now the field has been expanded to 64 - which allows ALL the other players to come and play.

We are not having two divisions.

We made this a reasonable price (not $550 like the 10-Ball) because we want to support the game of One Pocket.

The list of invited players is just that - Invited Players. No special prices or any kind of special treatment. Just a courtesy to the playing skills, and their past record.

I am hoping we get a good field. This is a test and if the game passes this test, it will have a permanent place in Las Vegas.

I agree Danny Harriman is a very good one pocket player. But he has not been in the top 2 in any major event. It is hard to draw a line anywhere.

So we did the best we can do. There is plenty of room for any player that wants to play.

The important thing is that there is no favoritism to anyone. Everyone pays and everyone gets treated the same. Period.

Mark Griffin

Mark,

I am feeling frisky and I feel it's time to come back to the pool world with my own identity after a long absence. You and I have other business to discuss which would probably be best handled in person so I am going to try my best to play in your event and display at the league event if possible.

Everyone else has said it and I will echo them, thanks for all that you and your staff are doing for pool.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
onepocketchump said:
Mark,

I am feeling frisky and I feel it's time to come back to the pool world with my own identity after a long absence. You and I have other business to discuss which would probably be best handled in person so I am going to try my best to play in your event and display at the league event if possible.

Everyone else has said it and I will echo them, thanks for all that you and your staff are doing for pool.

I would like to give the recagnition too the few old great players that are still alive. These are the players and hustlers who made pool what it is today.

And I can say the had more heart and balls then todays players. A lot off them are gone but thier are still some left.

And this is a one pocket site not a tournement site. In case people have forgotten. And these players had more balls and heart then any players off the day.

The wore made off stell not cotten candy. And the had o make thier living by winning not by playing in tournemets. If these players would be in thier prime todays players would be on wefare.

And these players went all around the country playing. Not looking for were the next tournement is. And its like every top player today if they are not getting backet they wont even play.

And the great remaining players are Eddie Kelly Ronnie Allen Jack Cooney. Mashall Carpenter Buddy Hall Grady mathues Billy Incandona Allen Hopkines he is still one off the younger ones. And me not the most skilled but the smardest.

But this is a very short list left. Soon it will even be shorter. BUt these were the real players. And how I no that these are the real players. Just ask them. And the all no each other too. !0 years from now thier mite be 3 or 4 left.

And the new crop will come in. And one more thing I want everyone too no. And see. Todays players play almost play twice as much as the players before.

None off us played as much as the players today. The wake up in thier sleep playing. If we played all those houers we would have been unbeatable.

But the players today play 3 or 4 times as much pool as the players from before. If we played that much we would have went broke paying the time.

And all the time the spend practicing and playing. They ahould play a lot better then they do.

Just take a look at how much more players play today. Its like thier is a tournement every week. If they would get paid by the houer playing they would all be millionares.

And out off all the players I havant seen one real Hustler Not one. Thier all players and thats all they want too be. Everery player is a shooter no more movers or real one pocket players.

I need to get this out. Soo 100 years from now people will see how much the game and the different types off people changed. The have become gentlmen.

NO more Corn Bread Red No more Detroite Whity No more Earl Schriber No more Butter milk.

No more Bugs No more Johnn Everlino No more Hubert Cooks No more Louie Roberts No more Minasota Fats No more Jersy Red

the players today are still good but the caracters and personalities have changed.

And no more old fashioned pool rooms were women were scared todeath too come into.

No more Eddie Taylors No more Rags Or Cannon Ball Even Preacher Red. Its alltogether a different breed off players. And Nobody cared if they had a million or were broke. Because they new they could always get a game.

I wrote this too show these people that they will not be forgotten and thier contrabution to pool will never make the mark that they did. Today they live for the tournements. Or they would all be looking for a job.

Maybe a counterman in a pool room who knowes what else they could do. BUt the older they get the more they will see thier is a up side and a down side. Snd when you are young you think thier is no down side but thier is.

Good Health and thanks too all the great old time players. This is for you. I havant forgorren you people. You were part off my life and the times and memories belong to us.

Nobody can have what we had. And I take my hat off too each and everyone off you. Live a long healthy and enjoyable life.

AB Middler MArk You could be in this clas too. Especialy with the age. And I no you love pool or you wouldnt be doing this. THanks for everything you have done to help pool. You are a clasy man.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
thebaby said:
I'm a little confused.can somebody please start explaining the qualifications to be in this major event.Is this the (U.S.OPEN ONE POCKET CHAMPIONSHIPS)thought only the best would be in this tournament,lets go down the list,name by name and lets see if we can let the pool community understand what this tournament stands for.I'm not a little confused,i'm very much confused.let's get this thread started,i'm very much interested in reading other people thought's.Maybe who you voted for and why.I understand there are more than qualified players on this list.But are we doing the game good .what if this tournament was televised around the world,with millions of viewers,I personally believe we should, if were ever going to get pool in the spot light like other sports(WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO SET THE BAR HIGH)This might be a beginning,or it might not,but let's remember that the people who put these major event's together need our help also,they try and do the right thing,but we all make mistakes.Let's look at the (U.S.OPEN )in golf,does it take the best golfers in the WORLD for this event.why is it televised around the world,viewed by million's of people.Is it because there show casing the best golfers in the world,I believe that,and that's why i believe this sport should do the same.come on people i want to here your opinions...................

I think Mark is doing his best to make sure that the best players are showcased in this event. And to that end he has gone out of his way to get in contact with the premier players in the game to make sure they know about the event and guarantee them a spot if they want to play. I think it is also admirable that he has included some in the legends category. It's a chance to see Nicklaus and Palmer play along with Tiger and Mickelson.

From there it is, after all, "The Open" and since in pool there is no way to get guys "qualified" it does become a truly open event and there will be some great shortstops and near shortstops that will get in and play.

It's a great effort to revive the US One Pocket Open. Millions will never be watching this event -- maybe several hundred on the TAR stream. Kudos to Mark for his work in this regard.

Lou Figueroa

SJDinPHX

Suspended
thebaby said:

Frank,

The only qualification is, you must have $340. Mark is trying his best, to resurrect the One Pocket U.S. Open...We can all offer suggestions on how he should go about this, but he has more knowledge, and insider help, as to what might best work, than probably anyone else on the planet.

His reputation is beyond reproach, as are his scruples. I would hope we would all get behind him, and support his efforts...I don't see anyone else willing to take the risk he is taking. Remember, its not his first rodeo, but it is his first attempt at this discipline...Thanks Mark, for all you do.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Frank,

The only qualification is, you must have $340. Mark is trying his best, to resurrect the One Pocket U.S. Open...We can all offer suggestions on how he should go about this, but he has more knowledge, and insider help, as to what might best work, than probably anyone else on the planet.

His reputation is beyond reproach, as are his scruples. I would hope we would all get behind him, and support his efforts...I don't see anyone else willing to take the risk he is taking. Remember, its not his first rodeo, but it is his first attempt at this discipline...Thanks Mark, for all you do.

I dont think Mark needsany coaching he has been doing this long enough. And he knoweswhat he is doing. Let Mark do his Job and everything will be OK. And you will never satisfie everyone so dont worry about it. Just do your best and what you think is wright.

And w everyone almost wants too watch the best players play. ITs the champions and the best players that will make the tournement a sucess.

My advice is do it your way. Or let the moaners and complainers play in the Susie Q tournement. Maybe they can win enough to buy a coffe and a donut.

If you are a real player you play no matter what the conditions are. everyone else has to play under the same conditions, THe days off the cry babbies are over.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lfigueroa said:
Mark, thanks for all the info. I truly hope you find a way to make it races to four on both sides -- I can't emphasize enough how big a deal it is to members of Team Cannon Fodder (and probably the pros fighting out on the B side too). Everyone at Kalamazoo used to say it made the tournament for them.
It's interesting to note that the matches used to be races to 5 at the U.S. Open 1P; at least they were at the U.S. Open 1P event in Louisville during the Summer of 2006. I don't recall what they were at the Qlympics the following Summer. Some of Grady's Legends and other events were also races to 5.

The difference is that this year's event is rather a "coming out", and will be more of an add-on to a larger event, rather than a stand alone tournament. I suspect that if Mark sees that the event fills, especially if players are turned away, that he'll increase the number of tables and entries in future years. Happily, one-pocket seems to have become more popular in the past few years, so I imagine the U.S. Open 1P will become a prominent event.

Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
It's interesting to note that the matches used to be races to 5 at the U.S. Open 1P; at least they were at the U.S. Open 1P event in Louisville during the Summer of 2006. I don't recall what they were at the Qlympics the following Summer. Some of Grady's Legends and other events were also races to 5.

The difference is that this year's event is rather a "coming out", and will be more of an add-on to a larger event, rather than a stand alone tournament. I suspect that if Mark sees that the event fills, especially if players are turned away, that he'll increase the number of tables and entries in future years. Happily, one-pocket seems to have become more popular in the past few years, so I imagine the U.S. Open 1P will become a prominent event.

Doc

Doc, to be totally accurate, Mark did run several 1Pocket Opens in Vegas, at The Plaza, downtown. I played in one and missed one or two. So it's not exactly a coming out party, more a resumption of the party :)

Lou Figueroa

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lfigueroa said:
Doc, to be totally accurate, Mark did run several 1Pocket Opens in Vegas, at The Plaza, downtown. I played in one and missed one or two. So it's not exactly a coming out party, more a resumption of the party :)

Lou Figueroa
Quite so, Lou. That's was I was saying. There hasn't been a billed U.S. Open 1P since 2006. I don't believe the 1P event at the Qlympics was billed as U.S. Open. So this year's will be a coming out after 5 year layoff. Restoration would probably be the better word.

Doc