efren/scott #678

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
jeff a wwyd for you since you asked and the gang
here is a wwyd to ponder
jeff maybe let a few of the less experienced among us offer their suggestions before letting us know what a seasoned player like yourself would do
(you usually get an A+ on these "quizzes"...:))
efren leads in ball score 3/2
efrens shot
es1.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
here is a wwyd to ponder
jeff maybe let a few of the less experienced among us offer their suggestions before letting us know what a seasoned player like yourself would do
efrens shot
View attachment 12505

I can't see clearly enough to tell whether I'd shoot the 8 and draw the CB off the stripe nearest the 8(double-kissing off the stirpe) or spin off the stripe beside that one to put CB on the 10. If I can hit the stripe nearest the 8 full in the face when shooting the 8, I'm shooting the 8.

Efren might kick the stripe beside the 7 off the 7 to his hole.

Thanks for the WWYD, and keep 'em coimin'.... pretty please. :smile

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Looks like the angle is there to double bank the 8ball. The 9ball is an ally positioned well enough to be banked into Reyes pocket, after he positions the 8ball near his pocket his opponent will have to defend against giving up a shot on not only the 8ball but the 9ball as well
Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Looks like the angle is there to double bank the 8ball. The 9ball is an ally positioned well enough to be banked into Reyes pocket, after he positions the 8ball near his pocket his opponent will have to defend against giving up a shot on not only the 8ball but the 9ball as well
Dr. Bill
Are you still in Vegas? If so, how about sharing your take on the proceedings?

Not to highjack this thread. Perhaps you could add on to one of the Frost/Alex threads, or start a new one.

Thanks~
Doc

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Wwyd??

Wwyd??

More like what do I wish I could do..:confused::confused:

With the existing wedge, I might kick 2 rails in/out of opponent's corner to move the 9 toward my pocket and try to leave cb about where it is. If the 9 goes, 2 rail zig zag the 8 to my hole, drawing back to the unwedged pocket area.

If the 9 gets close, and cb returns to approximate original position, maybe opponent doesn't cross corner bank the 8, and open up the wedged balls much.

3railing the 9 from the original cb position is too tough for me. Those points on the side pocket jump out and make trouble on that shallow angle bank too often for me. I would want to run the cb back to the end rail to make a return shot more difficult on a miss that lands in my quadrant. From that distance, the shallow bank angle, the side pocket points, the speed and spin needed to run the cb. ..I would rather shoot the 8, or kick at the 9.:eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Are you still in Vegas? If so, how about sharing your take on the proceedings?

Not to highjack this thread. Perhaps you could add on to one of the Frost/Alex threads, or start a new one.

Thanks~
Doc

dr. bill
we would like your perspective on scott /alex...:)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
here is a wwyd to ponder
efrens shot
View attachment 12505

It is a little difficult to get a true feel for the angle on this eight ball but I'm thinking that the shot can be cue down the rail. Hit the ball with follow and a touch of right hand English and bring the cue ball along a diagonal path for position on what I assume to be the nine. The cue ball should carom off whatever stripped ball that is along the side rail near the eight ball.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I can't see clearly enough to tell whether I'd shoot the 8 and draw the CB off the stripe nearest the 8(double-kissing off the stirpe) or spin off the stripe beside that one to put CB on the 10. If I can hit the stripe nearest the 8 full in the face when shooting the 8, I'm shooting the 8.

Efren might kick the stripe beside the 7 off the 7 to his hole.

Thanks for the WWYD, and keep 'em coimin'.... pretty please. :smile

And I think, maybe you've already seen this match...:eek:...;)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It is a little difficult to get a true feel for the angle on this eight ball but I'm thinking that the shot can be cue down the rail. Hit the ball with follow and a touch of right hand English and bring the cue ball along a diagonal path for position on what I assume to be the nine. The cue ball should carom off whatever stripped ball that is along the side rail near the eight ball.

Tom

Tom, the stripe looks to close to the 8 IMVingO, looks like you'd end up on the bad side of the 9 shooting it as you suggested, really hard to tell though from the pic. Cutting the 8 has 1 or possibly 2 ball value IMO, if the double kiss pushes the stripe the right way, but I think Efren prolly kicked the stripe, either caroming off the 7 or missing it, Looks like a shot he'd like.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom, the stripe looks to close to the 8 IMVingO, looks like you'd end up on the bad side of the 9 shooting it as you suggested, really hard to tell though from the pic. Cutting the 8 has 1 or possibly 2 ball value IMO, if the double kiss pushes the stripe the right way, but I think Efren prolly kicked the stripe, either caroming off the 7 or missing it, Looks like a shot he'd like.

Yes, Jeff. I can't tell form this camera angle what that shot looks like. I was shooting in the dark! To try to figure out what Efren is going to do is half the time, a gamble!

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Dr. Bill

Sometimes what you do depends on who you're playing. I might do this. Mainly to get rid of it before he gets more over there.
(my edit since the pic doesnt come on the screen unless you click on attachment ....frank's shot is moving the stripe away from scotts pocket)

View attachment 12506
i was surprised that except for frank noone else wanted to move the stripe away.....:confused:
although it may be an "ally" to me as dr. bill stated
why put another ball in play??
you have him in a wedge with a small lead
and scott is more likely to go for something and maybe give up opportunities to efren
efren did Z bank the 8 (i guess the cut wasnt there or the angle to get behind the 9)
and drew the cue ball to scotts side rail to protect against the 9
he hit it poorlyes3.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is how he left it and scotts reply
nice shot scott...:D
its efrens shot and i bet he is thinking
I should have moved the stripe.....:heh
es4.jpg

ef5.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
i was surprised that except for frank noone else wanted to move the stripe away.....:confused: ...although it may be an "ally" to me as dr. bill stated why put another ball in play??...you have him in a wedge with a small lead and scott is more likely to go for something and maybe give up opportunities to efren...efren did Z bank the 8 (i guess the cut wasnt there or the angle to get behind the 9)...and drew the cue ball to scotts side rail to protect against the 9...he hit it poorly
Yeah, at first glance my impression was to wonder why it went so short on a Gold Crown!? Then I realized that Reyes had to hit it right of center in order to be able to draw the CB to the side rail. Turns out it was a poor selection anyhow. When Efren takes a "show off" shot, and mangles it, he looks just as silly as do the rest of us....:D I know Cardone would have left it better.;)

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yeah, at first glance my impression was to wonder why it went so short on a Gold Crown!? Then I realized that Reyes had to hit it right of center in order to be able to draw the CB to the side rail. Turns out it was a poor selection anyhow. When Efren takes a "show off" shot, and mangles it, he looks just as silly as do the rest of us....:D I know Cardone would have left it better.;)

~Doc

Why would he want the CB on the long rail? Drawing it straight back would have been better... better angle for the 2-rail he shot and worse angle for Scott on any cross-bank he left.

If it were anyone but Efren I'd think he just hit it bad, and I'm tempted to think that anyway.

(This pic must distort the angle for cutting the 8 straight in... that shot does not look difficult to me on the screen.)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Why would he want the CB on the long rail? Drawing it straight back would have been better... better angle for the 2-rail he shot and worse angle for Scott on any cross-bank he left.

If it were anyone but Efren I'd think he just hit it bad, and I'm tempted to think that anyway.

(This pic must distort the angle for cutting the 8 straight in... that shot does not look difficult to me on the screen.)

The further toward the side rail, the least likely Scott would go for a thin cut on the 9. And yes, Efren hit it bad. But it was the wrong shot anyhow. It left Scott a nice little return.

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There is a difference between playing the wrong shot and playing the right shot poorly. I see nothing wrong with Efren's choice. I would not be surprised if this was one of the early games in this match and he didn't expect the eight to come off so flat off the second rail on a Brunswick. Had that ball laid further down table and maybe somewhat closer to his pocket, Scott would have been in a very different situation.

Removing the nine ball was not necessary here. The score is so low and with the balls tied up in the wedge, it is logical that Efren would like to force the issue a bit.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
There is a difference between playing the wrong shot and playing the right shot poorly. I see nothing wrong with Efren's choice. I would not be surprised if this was one of the early games in this match and he didn't expect the eight to come off so flat off the second rail on a Brunswick. Had that ball laid further down table and maybe somewhat closer to his pocket, Scott would have been in a very different situation.

Removing the nine ball was not necessary here. The score is so low and with the balls tied up in the wedge, it is logical that Efren would like to force the issue a bit.

Tom
the part bolded in paragraph 1
now thats a pearl to remember...:)
since you and billy werent worried about the 9 ball
i guess i shouldnt be either....:D