Stories about calling a hit/no hit

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I know there must be some good "call this hit" stories.

I was roped into calling a hit once. ONCE. Never again.

Two guys playing. One guy is a big bettor and a hothead and the other guy is the local favorite and my buddy. Local guy shooting and close to a ball he wants to bank. He shoots it... The whole room stares at me... I look at the bettor...., and he yells "he said Bad Hit!!" (Which I had not). The room erupts. Guys are threatening my life. 20 people cursing at me at one time. Finally they calm down and I say "I haven't even made a ruling yet! I never said a word!" They all stare at me. The two guy are yelling at each other "Good Hit!!!" "Bad Hit!!!" They both look at me pissed off and snarl... "WELL!!!???" I look back at the whole room and say..... "I couldn't tell. 😂😂". And got the hell out of there. The place erupted. 100% of them pissed at me. (And rightfully so).

And I've never agreed to call a hit since.

Any good "call this hit" stories from you salty dogs??

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
None recently, but lots in the past. Never had a squabble about a call, because if it was a really close call I would describe which ball was going where and usually how far on a good hit and if that happened, it was a good hit, if it didn't happen that way and the balls involved moved differently, well it was simply a bad hit.
Usually if the shot is examined closely beforehand it can be determined where and which direction the balls are going on a good hit. My .02c worth.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I remember a tournament that had Mike Sigel and Nick Varner playing a match, Nick plays a safe and Mike gets up and jacks his cue straight up in the air.
Nick calls for a call and I think it was Joe Kerr {wish I still had a memory} who was running the tournament and came over to call the hit.
Sigel makes a great shot but must have just skinned the ball he was going around, Joe was right on top of the shot , so he was probably the only other person besides Mike who even had a chance of actually seeing what happened.
Joe calls bad hit and Mike starts telling Varner, you know it was a good hit Nicky tell him, it was good.
Varner looks kind of befuddled that Sigel even said anything and tells him,
"How can I go against the ref"?!
Or something close to that lol.
I thought it was pretty funny.
Sigel had more moves than a caterpillar in a hot skillet.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I once called for a ref to watch a hit Playing eight ball. The ref called it a bad hit but to me it was obviously a good hit. The ref picked up the cue ball and handed it to me.
I waited for the ref to walk away before telling my opponent that he had made a good hit as I replaced the cue ball to when it had landed. There was no doubt in my mind that he had made a good hit. I waited for the ref to leave before doing this. I knew the ref called it as he saw it but it was definitely the wrong call.

beatle

Verified Member
i always have way the best of the game or am letting him break even for a spread so i always just tell my opponent i trust him and let him call the hit.

most are truthful even the worst as it puts them in a tough spot, if they lie i dont care as their fate is already sealed.

unoperro

Verified Member
I called ref to watch a jumpshot in 8 ball.
My ball 1/2" from the rail,cueball frozen straight in line to his object ball.
Ref watches shot,good hit but misses.Ref is not happy about asked to watch the shot.
Asks me what was I to watch? It is easy to see if he clears the interfering ball,so what was I watching?
I told him I didnt think he could hit the cueball first ,as my ball was frozen to it.
His reply so what would the foul be if his tip hit my ball first?
I replied there are at least 2 rules that address this so maybe learn the rules.
Saw the ref later,he stopped me and said,I know what the foul would be. He was smiling from ear to ear.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Two guys playing. One guy is a big bettor and a hothead and the other guy is the local favorite and my buddy. Local guy shooting and close to a ball he wants to bank. He shoots it... The whole room stares at me... I look at the bettor...., and he yells "he said Bad Hit!!" (Which I had not). The room erupts. Guys are threatening my life. 20 people cursing at me at one time. Finally they calm down and I say "I haven't even made a ruling yet! I never said a word!" They all stare at me. The two guy are yelling at each other "Good Hit!!!" "Bad Hit!!!" They both look at me pissed off and snarl... "WELL!!!???" I look back at the whole room and say..... "I couldn't tell. 😂😂". And got the hell out of there. The place erupted. 100% of them pissed at me. (And rightfully so).

I do not like to make calls and usually decline. Sometimes I will say OK, take my glasses off, cross my eyes and get down to look at the balls. They laugh and get someone else.:D

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
We were playing in a tourney a long time ago and Kikel asked me to call a hit. Although we were friends he wouldn't talk to me for a few years after that.... That hasn't stopped me from calling hits... Although i'm better at it now...lol:sorry

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Stories about calling a hit/no hit

I do not like to make calls and usually decline. Sometimes I will say OK, take my glasses off, cross my eyes and get down to look at the balls. They laugh and get someone else.:D

That's what one of the old timers told me later that day. No more calls for me. No way. Lol.

Maxwell

Verified Member

The most entertaining call I ever saw was at a tournament in Sacramento in a match between Keith M. and one of the Philipinos. Keith wanted to bank a ball that was very close to the cue ball and in line. A call was requested and the tournament director (not from Sac) called it.

Keith hit it and made the most obvious foul anyone had ever seen. The TD said "Good" and walked away. Keith then turned to his opponent and said "welcome to America" and ran out.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The most entertaining call I ever saw was at a tournament in Sacramento in a match between Keith M. and one of the Philipinos. Keith wanted to bank a ball that was very close to the cue ball and in line. A call was requested and the tournament director (not from Sac) called it.

Keith hit it and made the most obvious foul anyone had ever seen. The TD said "Good" and walked away. Keith then turned to his opponent and said "welcome to America" and ran out.
Great McCready story. Was that at the Jointed Cue?

I was watching a match at the Reno Open in the later '90s between Keith and Ronnie Wiseman. There were a bunch of balls near the rack area, and Keith was about to take aim on the 1 ball amongst them from the head of the table. Ronnie said "Hang on before you shoot. Lemme get a referee." Keith said, "Oh we can tell, we can tell." After Ronnie acquiesced, Keith fired into the stack, and the 9 ball rolled into the corner pocket. Keith said, "Looked good to ME!" Ronnie knew he'd been had, so he just stood there and laughed along with everyone else watching...

~Doc

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
In the early 60's I played a guy named Rockaway Abe, we started out playing $5 nine ball, he won the flip and ran 3 racks perfect my stakehorse says to him you play too good but Eddie will play you some $20 onepocket Abe says lets play. I win the first 7 games easy, the eighth game I'm winning 7 -1 and he misses hitting a ball says he feathered it my stakehorse goes crazy and wants to start a fight so I said it was a good hit and finally calm down my guy and says what's the difference we can't lose. I win the game and Abe quits broke. He was selling cue sticks offered me my choice of any one cue I look and said how much he says 160.00 my stakehorse says forget it. The sticks he was selling were Balbushkas. Today the sticks are worth 15k to 20k.