a tale of two one-pockets (with apologies to chuckie ((rhymes with ducky)) dickens).

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
there were two one-pocket universes at the dcc:

1) the one-pocket world encompassed within the tournament structure of the dcc.

2) the one-pocket world of mr. dippy.

(2b -- not included in this discussion -- i know there were some private one-pocket money matches that were not streamed, nor widely covered. i would love to address them, but they flew, mostly, under the sunny-radar. sorry.)

there were two streaming services at the dcc:

1) accu-stats, the establishment vehicle.

2) tar, the bandito version.

i invested in the full-week of accu-stats coverage (worth it!) and i had the tar 'money games' on through a different window. (also very much worth it, and free. although i think they go to ppv for some matches.)

accu-stats, minus a one day hiccup, was terrific. i saw more top-player one-pocket than i've ever seen.

the tar chat room coverage was sort of like the background music of our life? it went on and on, rambled all over the world of pool, and, i would wager, a huge percentage of the chat in tar was about dippy. unless they were streaming an action match with other players -- such as dennis o. v bartram.

so ... through accu-stats, i loved seeing the greats making their moves in the serious world of tournament one-pocket. but, through tar, i also loved seeing a money guy (dippy) push his relatively-limited pool skills by engaging top players -- for example corey -- and forcing them to grind through very tough, very long, matches with often-changing wagers. am i correct -- it seems to me that when dippy ups the bet in mid-stream, he does better?

my sense was that dippy played up to his talent, grew stronger the longer the contests ran, ground down his opponents over time as the pressure of the spot weighed heavier, and often prevailed partly because the money was a lesser percentage of his personal financial and psychological investment.

all of this being said ... what a treat! a player who is better (but not by a ton) than i am having the privilege of playing against top professionals. and, through weight, having a good chance to take home the benjamins!

to me, dippy-watching was a guilty pleasure. i kept feeling that i should be studying for the finals, but i just could not put down that trashy novel! is addictive too strong a word?

the point, however, is that dippy captured the attention -- the way-out-of-proportion attention -- of the dcc event.

here's what else i loved about the dcc:

> the onepocket.org reportage ... posts, pics, blogs, e-mails, disses and hisses ... you guys are so great! it has been so pleasurable for us stay-at-homers to parse your passion, your angst, your pleasure, the camaraderie in your communications. it has provided animation and texture to those of us who couldn't attend.

> the excuses for losing ... this may have been my fave! the tongue-in-cheek comments ... health, age, youth, lighting, lack of lighting, cloth, rails, balls, draw, luck, bad luck, bad breath, flights, weather, driving, rooms, lack of rooms, credit cards ... all offered in a good-natured recognition of our common frailties. motor on!

> the streaming ... i believe this is one of the major opportunities for pool. thousands of fans, who couldn't attend, were able to watch many of the matches. and, through chat rooms, to comment on them!

the winners ... the final four (earl beat shannon / shane beat alex) seemed to represent the fast-forward of one-pocket players. i'm new and dumb, but what i sensed was that offense triumphed over defense. that the shooters beat the movers. of course a race to three is so short that any really good player can beat any other really good player. so maybe the movers would triumph over the long haul?

> the commentators ... boy did i love this aspect! the felix and oscar spats! the incredibly savvy predictions. the insightful overviews.

how best can i say this ... a commentator who says, in a mournful voice, 'oh, i don't like this shot. i really don't like this shot.' and then ... wham! the shot is executed perfectly! what i heard from these senior lamenting voices was ... 'one-pocket is a game of magic. i know so much more than you do ... but ... i am still pleasantly astonished by what i see. what a game!'

> the collegiality of the players. maybe, behind the scenes, they hate each other. but, for public view, it was mostly courtesy and mostly congeniality. good marketing!

> the hall of fame stuff. everything i read about the dinner was so positive! was it streamed? if so, i missed it. if not, let's hope it's streamed next year! like the 'roasts' that celebrities do for each other.

> i also love it that dcc will happen again next year! boy do i hope i can attend! if i can be there, if i can get a 'dippy spot,' then you boys better be prepared to let some moths fly out of your wallets! i've been know to wager a drink! or two!

anticipation is my life,

sunny

p. s. my new favorite rock star is billy thorpe -- 14 years old. the tournament director said it was his third dcc! he prevailed over piggy banks in one-pocket. 3 - 1. and, he moneyed in banks. (i'm dumping my old flame, the 18-year old!)

p. p. s. speaking of one-pocket, the monthly soiree from kolby's corner, somewhere in the desert, is a lot of fun! but, be wary ... there are some rather rough characters (mr. barber, i am not including you!) who hang there. delicate flowers such as i can stay around only for brief interludes before the vapors are imminent.

p. p. p. s. in case i wandered off-message? what i wanted to say was there was dcc and there was dippy. that's what i saw anyway. amateur interpretation.

p. p. p. p. s. if the dippy saga has already been analyzed to death here, please excuse me for being ms obvious. or perhaps ms. oblivious! sorry!

p. p. p. p. p. s. my apologies that this had to be so brief. just back from dinner with my friends, it's saturday night, time to go bouncing! my dancing boots are on, the car service is waiting ... over and out!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sunnyone said:
i invested in the full-week of accu-stats coverage (worth it!) and i had the tar 'money games' on through a different window. (also very much worth it, and free. although i think they go to ppv for some matches.)

accu-stats, minus a one day hiccup, was terrific. i saw more top-player one-pocket than i've ever seen.

sunny
Where was your bf all of this time that you were watching pool? Was he climbing Mt. Everest? Was he exploring the South Pole? Maybe he was piloting a hot-air balloon on a solo journey around the world? Don't tell us that he's forsaken you.

Thanks for your views, lll will enjoy them, I'm sure:p .

Cowboy Dee

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
sunnyone said:
there were two one-pocket universes at the dcc:

1) the one-pocket world encompassed within the tournament structure of the dcc.

2) the one-pocket world of mr. dippy.

(2b -- not included in this discussion -- i know there were some private one-pocket money matches that were not streamed, nor widely covered. i would love to address them, but they flew, mostly, under the sunny-radar. sorry.)

there were two streaming services at the dcc:

1) accu-stats, the establishment vehicle.

2) tar, the bandito version.

the tar chat room coverage was sort of like the background music of our life? it went on and on, rambled all over the world of pool, and, i would wager, a huge percentage of the chat in tar was about dippy. unless they were streaming an action match with other players -- such as dennis o. v bartram.

so ... through accu-stats, i loved seeing the greats making their moves in the serious world of tournament one-pocket. but, through tar, i also loved seeing a money guy (dippy) push his relatively-limited pool skills by engaging top players -- for example corey -- and forcing them to grind through very tough, very long, matches with often-changing wagers. am i correct -- it seems to me that when dippy ups the bet in mid-stream, he does better?

my sense was that dippy played up to his talent, grew stronger the longer the contests ran, ground down his opponents over time as the pressure of the spot weighed heavier, and often prevailed partly because the money was a lesser percentage of his personal financial and psychological investment.

all of this being said ... what a treat! a player who is better (but not by a ton) than i am having the privilege of playing against top professionals. and, through weight, having a good chance to take home the benjamins!

to me, dippy-watching was a guilty pleasure. i kept feeling that i should be studying for the finals, but i just could not put down that trashy novel! is addictive too strong a word?

the point, however, is that dippy captured the attention -- the way-out-of-proportion attention -- of the dcc event.

here's what else i loved about the dcc:

> the onepocket.org reportage ... posts, pics, blogs, e-mails, disses and hisses ... you guys are so great! it has been so pleasurable for us stay-at-homers to parse your passion, your angst, your pleasure, the camaraderie in your communications. it has provided animation and texture to those of us who couldn't attend.

> the excuses for losing ... this may have been my fave! the tongue-in-cheek comments ... health, age, youth, lighting, lack of lighting, cloth, rails, balls, draw, luck, bad luck, bad breath, flights, weather, driving, rooms, lack of rooms, credit cards ... all offered in a good-natured recognition of our common frailties. motor on!

> the streaming ... i believe this is one of the major opportunities for pool. thousands of fans, who couldn't attend, were able to watch many of the matches. and, through chat rooms, to comment on them!

the winners ... the final four (earl beat shannon / shane beat alex) seemed to represent the fast-forward of one-pocket players. i'm new and dumb, but what i sensed was that offense triumphed over defense. that the shooters beat the movers. of course a race to three is so short that any really good player can beat any other really good player. so maybe the movers would triumph over the long haul?

> the commentators ... boy did i love this aspect! the felix and oscar spats! the incredibly savvy predictions. the insightful overviews.

how best can i say this ... a commentator who says, in a mournful voice, 'oh, i don't like this shot. i really don't like this shot.' and then ... wham! the shot is executed perfectly! what i heard from these senior lamenting voices was ... 'one-pocket is a game of magic. i know so much more than you do ... but ... i am still pleasantly astonished by what i see. what a game!'

> the collegiality of the players. maybe, behind the scenes, they hate each other. but, for public view, it was mostly courtesy and mostly congeniality. good marketing!

> the hall of fame stuff. everything i read about the dinner was so positive! was it streamed? if so, i missed it. if not, let's hope it's streamed next year! like the 'roasts' that celebrities do for each other.

> i also love it that dcc will happen again next year! boy do i hope i can attend! if i can be there, if i can get a 'dippy spot,' then you boys better be prepared to let some moths fly out of your wallets! i've been know to wager a drink! or two!

anticipation is my life,

sunny

p. s. my new favorite rock star is billy thorpe -- 14 years old. the tournament director said it was his third dcc! he prevailed over piggy banks in one-pocket. 3 - 1. and, he moneyed in banks. (i'm dumping my old flame, the 18-year old!)

p. p. s. speaking of one-pocket, the monthly soiree from kolby's corner, somewhere in the desert, is a lot of fun! but, be wary ... there are some rather rough characters (mr. barber, i am not including you!) who hang there. delicate flowers such as i can stay around only for brief interludes before the vapors are imminent.

p. p. p. s. in case i wandered off-message? what i wanted to say was there was dcc and there was dippy. that's what i saw anyway. amateur interpretation.

p. p. p. p. s. if the dippy saga has already been analyzed to death here, please excuse me for being ms obvious. or perhaps ms. oblivious! sorry!

p. p. p. p. p. s. my apologies that this had to be so brief. just back from dinner with my friends, it's saturday night, time to go bouncing! my dancing boots are on, the car service is waiting ... over and out!
That's pretty much what I saw on the floor. Except, I don't think Earl & Shane prevailing this time is a trend, and don't think they would prevail in a longer set...

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
And moreda......

And moreda......

....go,coming to you live from NYC,the capital of Puerto Rico,home of the Statue of Bigotry and haven of the ex gun moll of the Mob now writing and laughing uncontrollably for a living.Bravo!Encore!Yavitz!Seriously,that was very insightful and speaking for myself much appreciated,ciao belle,B

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
The valley girls

The valley girls

have slouched along into middle age and mainly out of the public notice, but they have left behind a malignant plague that has already endured far too long. It's the gross overuse of the word 'like'.

Maybe I have grown too intolerant in my old age, or maybe I have just lived beyond my expiration date, but I'm finding myself muting out the commentary of more and more of the stuff on my TV and my computer, including some of the billiard coverage. It grates in my old ears and gives me heartburn and dyspepsia, and impels me to speak profanely, and often.
Am I the only one with this problem? Is anyone else noticing and getting such an adverse reaction?

I'm like approaching the vapors also, sunny. Can you recall Mark Twain's little tale about a verse - "Punch, Brothers . ."? :eek:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
sunnyone said:
Sunny, I enjoyed your comments re the DCC from the perspective of your having been dependent upon streaming. In actuality the majority of those in attendance probably didn't even know that Peat was there. 90% of the attention was on the various tournaments. There seemed to be much less gambling action this year.

I ran into Peat a couple of times. But to most, he was more of a curio than anything else. The TAR room was practically non-existent to most players. They did host some memorable contests, but it was difficult to get a seat in there. Ditto with the AZ/1P room. Once the "one pocket challenge" commenced, that pretty much tied up one of the two tables for the duration.

Every time I looked into the Action Room, there may have been a serious match, but the 5 other tables were mostly being used for messin' around. The tournament tables were available after midnight for rent, although I didn't see loads of action being plied there either. It'll be very interesting to see who they give the Action Award to this year.:)

I think you'd enjoy yourself if you ever went to DCC to take in the whole scene. But fair warning: don't fly Delta...;)

Doc

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
if a tree falls ...

if a tree falls ...

gulfportdoc said:
Sunny, I enjoyed your comments re the DCC from the perspective of your having been dependent upon streaming. In actuality the majority of those in attendance probably didn't even know that Peat was there. 90% of the attention was on the various tournaments. There seemed to be much less gambling action this year.

doc ... what is reality? perhaps it's similar to a quantum? which, science-types say, (my gf, muffy, seems, somehow, to understand the concept!), can be in two places at once?

your observation -- that most people at dcc didn't know mr. dippy was there -- well, i can believe that!

but my meager musings that the dipster dominated the tar coverage, in chat, and somewhat in video, (and that he also captured part of the accu-stats chatter), was somewhat correct on my part?

now i dunno how many live bodies attended dcc, but several thousand watched the streams. the live attendees probably book heavier in credentials, but the viewers aren't without credence. viewers seem to be of interest to sponsors. (imho/rotfl/wtf/qwerty.)

Cowboy Dennis said:
Where was your bf all of this time that you were watching pool? Was he climbing Mt. Everest? Was he exploring the South Pole? Maybe he was piloting a hot-air balloon on a solo journey around the world? Don't tell us that he's forsaken you.

cowboy dee ... it's is tres interesting that you are interested in my bf's calendar. fyi ... parker was here during the early stages of dcc and watched a bit of the coverage with me. (he's the one who got me interested in pool because our loft came equipped with a table.) funny thing? dcc soon bored him and i became a pool widow.

for the last several days he's been in s. california watching boys in funny clothes flail around at little white balls in pine fields. i imagine he and his friends are on a boys-will-be-boys outing, drinking and chasing girls. the first of which is understandable, the conclusion of the second, not. to me.

can one be a golf widow without having been, technically, married?

in any case, since your unusual interest in parker is unusually high (one need not speculate on the reasons underlying that obsession!), i have, for your perusal, sent you, via ultra-secretive private messaging, parker's schedule for the upcoming three weeks. should you need further details, please advise.

NH Steve said:
That's pretty much what I saw on the floor. Except, I don't think Earl & Shane prevailing this time is a trend, and don't think they would prevail in a longer set...

mr. nh ... i think you have the street creds -- that i never will -- to evaluate trends, vis-a-vis one-pocket. and probably everything else!

the one gentle thought that burbles up in the tapioca that i prefer to call my brain is this ... shooters have, according to many seasoned observers, changed the game of one-pocket; they have made some movers rethink their defense-first / defense-foremost strategy.

probably what we both might agree on (gawd sunny, how presumptuous can you be to assume what a respected veteran would agree to!) is that there is a necessary merging of shooting and safety. movers and offensive players will both become stronger as they absorb the skill sets from each other.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it! until i'm embarrassed out of it!

usblues said:
....go,coming to you live from NYC,the capital of Puerto Rico,home of the Statue of Bigotry and haven of the ex gun moll of the Mob now writing and laughing uncontrollably for a living.Bravo!Encore!Yavitz!Seriously,that was very insightful and speaking for myself much appreciated,ciao belle,B

mr. usb ... i am not an ex gun moll! don't make me have to come after you!

vapros said:
have slouched along into middle age and mainly out of the public notice, but they have left behind a malignant plague that has already endured far too long. It's the gross overuse of the word 'like'.

Maybe I have grown too intolerant in my old age, or maybe I have just lived beyond my expiration date, but I'm finding myself muting out the commentary of more and more of the stuff on my TV and my computer, including some of the billiard coverage. It grates in my old ears and gives me heartburn and dyspepsia, and impels me to speak profanely, and often.
Am I the only one with this problem? Is anyone else noticing and getting such an adverse reaction?

I'm like approaching the vapors also, sunny. Can you recall Mark Twain's little tale about a verse - "Punch, Brothers . ."? :eek:

mr. vapros ... your title 'the valley girls' instantly offended me! in my mind, valley girls were blonde and mouthy. i'm ... next point! valley girls were self-absorbed and vapid. i'm ... well, let's talk about samuel clemens!

i had to look up 'punch, brothers, punch.' how funny! and how appropriate!

appropriateness is my life,

sunny