Seniors and Super Seniors Tournaments

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Since I'm older than 65....all I gotta say, I though 70 and above limited the field, as many of us just don't live that long or are healthy by then. Lowering it to 65 will also help the venue immensely with a Huge increase in player numbers. Pros pay dbl entry sounds realistic, it would be fun having them, and they too will help the venue.

Many over 65 finally have the time, and that too will help thee event. I also think the venue should be next to the Train and in the center of the country if it outgrows Bogies. I hate airports, jumpin on a train with a cue is nothing.

It's a good idea. I think it's possible that Dan Tull at Shooters in Olathe (Kansas City suburb) might be interested. I'll see him next month, tell him about SSC and Bogies, and see whether he will consider it. I'd play in it for sure... I'm dead money in either one. :)

His room handles 1 P tournaments twice a year, typically 40-50 players.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
"separate" "Seniors" tournament "6 months apart" from the one you guys had

Yeah, I like it.

Two candidates I can think of in New Orleans, one in KC, one in Des Moines, (two if Jesse Bowman's place could handle it) two in Chicago, Toledo, 1 (or 2?) in Tennessee... I'm sure others on both coasts but more-or-less centrally located might work better.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Bogies management and owner are mulling it over and trying to iron out the possible kinks involved with adding a Senior Division to the calendar next year. One thing as of now is certain, there will be a 2nd Super Seniors Classic offered by Bogies in Houston, whether it will be combined time wise ( not joined together ) with a Senior Division Championship ( 65-69 year old players ) also offered by Bogies in Houston is still under consideration.

In other words, if they can make everything fit by stretching the time out for another day or two,( 4/5 days instead of 3 ) then it's just a question of raising the extra funds for the payouts.

I'm not in favor of diminishing the fun we had at this years Super Senior event, or diluting the field in any way, shape, or form. I wouldn't care for it taking a backseat to another division of higher skilled players, or changing the age requirements.

Adding the Senior Division will not harm the Super Seniors in my opinion, it will be just a larger group old guys playing one pocket and competing in their respective age group.

Anyway, it's being mulled over and nothing will happen without the approval of Bogies and or a majority vote by the 18 players who played the first event. This is not in any way an authorized publication or declaration of fact by Bogies management, it's just me, thinking out loud as usual.

It is interesting to think about and discuss the possibilities.

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
It's a good idea. I think it's possible that Dan Tull at Shooters in Olathe (Kansas City suburb) might be interested. I'll see him next month, tell him about SSC and Bogies, and see whether he will consider it. I'd play in it for sure... I'm dead money in either one. :)

His room handles 1 P tournaments twice a year, typically 40-50 players.

To clarify, with respect to all: Steve's OP suggested no changes to the SS Tournament. Steve was suggesting that HE SET UP AND RUN a separate Seniors event that Super Seniors could play additionally if they chose at a discounted entry. This event would be 6 months off the Main original SS Event. There was no mention of changing anything. This would have no effect on the Super Seniors at Boggies. If I am wrong, let me have it. Steve, I hope you do not mind me chirping in.

My response is an attempt to clarify for everyone. I was not eligible for the event but folllowed it closely. It is something that I think would be worthy to attend just to meet, observe and socialize with the 1P org. group. I think the exclusivitivity of the event adds to the experience and think it was a great venue for all who participated.

Based on the success, soon you may have to make it an invitational, like the Masters, which adds to the prestige of the event.

Carry on
Phil

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
To clarify, with respect to all: Steve's OP suggested no changes to the SS Tournament. Steve was suggesting that HE SET UP AND RUN a separate Seniors event that Super Seniors could play additionally if they chose at a discounted entry. This event would be 6 months off the Main original SS Event. There was no mention of changing anything. This would have no effect on the Super Seniors at Boggies. If I am wrong, let me have it. Steve, I hope you do not mind me chirping in.

My response is an attempt to clarify for everyone. I was not eligible for the event but folllowed it closely. It is something that I think would be worthy to attend just to meet, observe and socialize with the 1P org. group. I think the exclusivitivity of the event adds to the experience and think it was a great venue for all who participated.

Based on the success, soon you may have to make it an invitational, like the Masters, which adds to the prestige of the event.

Carry on
Phil

Thank you very very much.

I really thought no one understood.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Carry on
Phil

Yeah, I with you on every bit of that.

Thanks

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Thank you very very much.

I really thought no one understood.

My bad, Steve. I confused myself between what you were actually suggesting and some other ideas about doing the Senior at the other Bogies, etc.

The way you actually proposed it, I'm with you all the way and would be glad to help any way I can.

I'm looking forward to another chance at cleaning Parica's clock. :eek: but like I once heard at a 1 P tournament, "Hey, that little Mexican guy plays good." :D

I'm not a slow learner, just a fast forgetter. :eek: :p :heh

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
You know when I first read the post wanting to make a Senior and a Super Senior Tournament I thought hey that would be good. But after reading some post and thinking it over, to the guys that were not there, it was a very special event. I don't think we should mess with it. Do it again just like the last one, if you start making different age groups it will work itself into a venue so big that we couldn't hold it at one place and that was what was so special about this event. We played practice rounds with each other, sat around telling and listening to stories, it was great. My vote is to hold the same format again at Bogies next year with the same age requirement.---Smitty

I agree, why change the age group to please a few. I'll wait till next year if I have to.

John

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bogies management and owner are mulling it over and trying to iron out the possible kinks involved with adding a Senior Division to the calendar next year. One thing as of now is certain, there will be a 2nd Super Seniors Classic offered by Bogies in Houston, whether it will be combined time wise ( not joined together ) with a Senior Division Championship ( 65-69 year old players ) also offered by Bogies in Houston is still under consideration.

In other words, if they can make everything fit by stretching the time out for another day or two,( 4/5 days instead of 3 ) then it's just a question of raising the extra funds for the payouts.

I'm not in favor of diminishing the fun we had at this years Super Senior event, or diluting the field in any way, shape, or form. I wouldn't care for it taking a backseat to another division of higher skilled players, or changing the age requirements.

Adding the Senior Division will not harm the Super Seniors in my opinion, it will be just a larger group old guys playing one pocket and competing in their respective age group.

Anyway, it's being mulled over and nothing will happen without the approval of Bogies and or a majority vote by the 18 players who played the first event. This is not in any way an authorized publication or declaration of fact by Bogies management, it's just me, thinking out loud as usual.

It is interesting to think about and discuss the possibilities.

Thank you Jeff and especially a huge thank you to Bogies for showing so much support for this tournament! The added money enabled deeper payouts which I am sure helped more players with their travel expenses. If you all decide to grow it by staggering in a 65 and older division I would love that because I would qualify, but I fully understand and support if you decide to keep it simple and just go with a SS Annual #2!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thank you Jeff and especially a huge thank you to Bogies for showing so much support for this tournament! The added money enabled deeper payouts which I am sure helped more players with their travel expenses. If you all decide to grow it by staggering in a 65 and older division I would love that because I would qualify, but I fully understand and support if you decide to keep it simple and just go with a SS Annual #2!!

Thank you Steve,

Rizzo ( Mgr. at Bogies ) is a great guy, I'm not saying that just because we've been friends for over 50 years, he's an old school guy with impeccable credentials, sound ethics, and high moral standards. The Super Senior Classic is in good hands, John Rizzo will take care of it.

Whatever is decided about the addition of another division, (65/69 year olds),
I'm certain John will not let it interfere with the success we had with the first SS Classic, or the next one, whenever that will be.

David Richardson, (owner of Bogies) was well pleased with the turnout of both the players pool (18 total ) and the spectators who attended the 3 days. He said he's in for next year.

Personally, I would like to play two of these every year, April & October, I ain't gettin any younger and a year seems like a long time to wait!! It all depends on you guys though, if you're willing, then it could happen!

Disclaimer, I'm not speaking for Bogies, Just thinkin out loud again!

But I do know Rizzo pretty well!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Thank you Steve,

Rizzo ( Mgr. at Bogies ) is a great guy, I'm not saying that just because we've been friends for over 50 years, he's an old school guy with impeccable credentials, sound ethics, and high moral standards. The Super Senior Classic is in good hands, John Rizzo will take care of it.

John is friendly and outgoing and an excellent manager. I told David we could see how lucky he was to have John.

Personally, I would like to play two of these every year, April & October, I ain't gettin any younger and a year seems like a long time to wait!! It all depends on you guys though, if you're willing, then it could happen!

Heh. I was thinkin' more along the lines of third Friday-Sunday every month. :D

Disclaimer, I'm not speaking for Bogies, Just thinkin out loud again!

But I do know Rizzo pretty well!

Good to hear. Tell John there's a good chance I can make myself available whenever he might need me to help out in advance. (I'd even have my picture taken so people have a clue that this guy is that guy. :p )

keoneyo

Verified Member
Just for my own edification what were the payouts of the SS tournament?

I think it is such a great thing that this tournament was inspired and succesfully created by members of One Pocket.org. I raise a glass to you all. It just shows to me that initiative and the willing to cooperate no matter what side of the fence we sit on, can successfully pull off constructive projects.

The Chicago and midwest contingent seem to be strong. It being Central to our continent and such a great hub, hows about having a tournament in that area?
Would there be interest in a Seniors Bank tournament? Lowering it to the age 65 could get a large contingent I think.

In any case I cant wait for the next one.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I think it is such a great thing that this tournament was inspired and succesfully created by members of One Pocket.org. I raise a glass to you all. It just shows to me that initiative and the willing to cooperate no matter what side of the fence we sit on, can successfully pull off constructive projects.

The Chicago and midwest contingent seem to be strong. It being Central to our continent and such a great hub, hows about having a tournament in that area?
Would there be interest in a Seniors Bank tournament? Lowering it to the age 65 could get a large contingent I think.

Here you go, I did have 1/2 of myself in the auction. Thanks again for the $$ from you and Corey.

Attachments

• payouts.jpg
    payouts.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 0

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Your $100.00 donation was added directly to the 1st place finishers purse. John Henderson should have got $1780.00 instead of $1680.00

Thanks again

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
if the rights to the name isn't owned by someone, youse guys should call these the Senior US Open One Pocket Championship and the Super Senior US Open One Pocket Championship.
Those titles would lend a lot of prestige to the events.
Unfortunately Mark Griffin owns the US Open One Pocket Championship but it appears because of expenses we event held them recently. Keith

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
if the rights to the name isn't owned by someone, youse guys should call these the Senior US Open One Pocket Championship and the Super Senior US Open One Pocket Championship.
Those titles would lend a lot of prestige to the events.
Unfortunately Mark Griffin owns the US Open One Pocket Championship but it appears because of expenses we event held them recently. Keith

I like it, but I don't know crap about trademark/copyright laws.

Maybe BRLongArm (Joe Long) knows or could look into it for us.

edit: I PM'd Joe but he's apparently been pretty busy lately because he hasn't been around much.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The SUPER SENIORS should stay as it is. If you want to have a seniors tournament that's different. You could have it on the six month anniversary of the SSSS.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Rizzo ( Mgr. at Bogies ) is a great guy, I'm not saying that just because we've been friends for over 50 years, he's an old school guy with impeccable credentials, sound ethics, and high moral standards. The Super Senior Classic is in good hands, John Rizzo will take care of it. ...
Wait just a minute. High moral standards, but yet a long time friend of yours. There seems to be a little conflict between those two statements...;):D

~Doc