who is your favorite player

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Art said:
Who is your favorite player? Mein was Harold Worst. And my favoeite caracter is Minnasota Fats.

Make that two for Worst. Favorite character, Alvin C. Thomas.

Last edited:

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Favorites

Favorites

Favorite Player: Efren Reyes
Favorite lesser known Player: Tommy Sanders
Favorite Character: Utley Jim Puckett

jelly jason

me

me

Was Cliff till he took a bite of me.
Saw Scott he already has enough fans, HIMSELF!
I guess im going too keep praticing because i need a role model.

Matt_24

Verified Member
Nick Varner is my favorite player.

The first time I ever saw one-pocket played was at JOBs in the early 90's. Nick was playing some friendly $40 a game after hours with another guy. I heard Nick say, "You want to practice some for $40 a game." The guy said, "Sure Nick..." (didn't ask for a spot) and Nick beat him like.......5 or 6 in a row before I got bored with watching.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Matt_24 said:
Nick Varner is my favorite player.

The first time I ever saw one-pocket played was at JOBs in the early 90's. Nick was playing some friendly $40 a game after hours with another guy. I heard Nick say, "You want to practice some for $40 a game." The guy said, "Sure Nick..." (didn't ask for a spot) and Nick beat him like.......5 or 6 in a row before I got bored with watching.
You have made a great choice and their is no nicer guy then nick Varner to play with.

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Favorite Player

Favorite Player

My favorite player was/is Eddie Taylor. Favorite alltime character Peter Rabbit.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Jakie said:
My favorite player was/is Eddie Taylor. Favorite alltime character Peter Rabbit.
You cant go wrong with those picks Taylor was a champion from the word go. And petter Rabbit was Bunny rogofs favorite caracter too.

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Favorite Player

Favorite Player

Eddy lived in DC area when I was a kid. I used to get to practice with him some. He was very good about answering my questions and showing me things about the game. He told me that Rags Fitzpatrick was the best 1P player he saw.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Dick Mc Morran said:
Make that two for Worst. Favorite character, Alvin C. Thomas.

Player: Ronnie Allen and got to agree with Dick here. Ti, was the greatest character that ever laid a bet. MN Fats said the same thing about him.

Ti was the first person to hit a golf ball 600 yards and that was just the start.

I never met him. Did you, Dick?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
hemicudas said:
Player: Ronnie Allen and got to agree with Dick here. Ti, was the greatest character that ever laid a bet. MN Fats said the same thing about him.

Ti was the first person to hit a golf ball 600 yards and that was just the start.

I never met him. Did you, Dick?

Yes Bill, Knew him and his son Tommy very well. I'll post a few tidbits on here about my times with them. I don't have a lot to add about him, that has not already been written, other than a few personal anecdotes. Alfie Taylor, and I were quite close to him in his declining years, in Dallas. I have not seen Tommy since Ti passed away, in '74. He was 82.
I have a computer savvy friend who is helping me put together some old war stories. I'll ask him to post a condensed version of the chapter on Ti, as soon as he has time.

Dick

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Dick Mc Morran said:
Yes Bill, Knew him and his son Tommy very well. I'll post a few tidbits on here about my times with them. I don't have a lot to add about him, that has not already been written, other than a few personal anecdotes. Alfie Taylor, and I were quite close to him in his declining years, in Dallas. I have not seen Tommy since Ti passed away, in '74. He was 82.
I have a computer savvy friend who is helping me put together some old war stories. I'll ask him to post a condensed version of the chapter on Ti, as soon as he has time.

Dick

For those who don't recognize the name Dick refers to, Alvin Clarence Thomas, it is the name, Titanic Thompson, was born with.

If you ever read a book, you must read, The Unsinkable Titanic Thompson. By far, the greatest hustler in history.

I was pretty good friends with, U.J. Puckett. I used many of his hustling techniques, being the same height and weight as U.J. It seemed to work for me too. I invented a few too. But, when I asked U.J. who he thought was the greatest hustler ever he didn't blink an eye. He said, Titanic Thompson.

For sure, Dick, please relate any stories you have about, Ti. No one in history was more interesting..............

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
For those who don't recognize the name Dick refers to, Alvin Clarence Thomas, it is the name, Titanic Thompson, was born with.

If you ever read a book, you must read, The Unsinkable Titanic Thompson. By far, the greatest hustler in history.

I was pretty good friends with, U.J. Puckett. I used many of his hustling techniques, being the same height and weight as U.J. It seemed to work for me too. I invented a few too. But, when I asked U.J. who he thought was the greatest hustler ever he didn't blink an eye. He said, Titanic Thompson.

For sure, Dick, please relate any stories you have about, Ti. No one in history was more interesting..............
Titanic gimick games were more of a set up game like a carnival game. It was all pre meditated like hitting the golf ball on ice. Or waiting for the wind to blow the card over the house or betting a red cadilack would come by the country road side and only 3 cars a day would go by. Those were all set ups Like a cooler in a poker game. Or even throughing a card in a hat on so maney tries. or even throwing the key in the door. Thier are mant tricks and gaffs. Just like the bank cross corner in the movie the hustler. THe hard part is to find some one to take the bet. If you find a sucker you can do whatever you want and you will win the money.Its like a con man if you go for his gaff of game you will lose your money. And their have been some real great ones but I would expose them or knock them or say who the are or were. And some have passed away. But I am leaving that alone. And the public and people never got to see them or new them. Put the are in our world and the wiil get the money.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Titanic gimick games were more of a set up game like a carnival game. It was all pre meditated like hitting the golf ball on ice. Or waiting for the wind to blow the card over the house or betting a red cadilack would come by the country road side and only 3 cars a day would go by. Those were all set ups Like a cooler in a poker game. Or even throughing a card in a hat on so maney tries. or even throwing the key in the door. Thier are mant tricks and gaffs. Just like the bank cross corner in the movie the hustler. THe hard part is to find some one to take the bet. If you find a sucker you can do whatever you want and you will win the money.Its like a con man if you go for his gaff of game you will lose your money. And their have been some real great ones but I would expose them or knock them or say who the are or were. And some have passed away. But I am leaving that alone. And the public and people never got to see them or new them. Put the are in our world and the wiil get the money.

I'm sure you don't mean any disrespect to Titanic. His trickery, and con games were just fun for him. He made most of his money in country clubs, at golf, and cards. I'm sure you are aware, Fat's, Puckett, and Cornbread, looked up to him as the King of ALL hustler's. Even Mr. Cokes said he had never seen anybody with more ball's, and move's, than Ti. He could move in on anybody, Arnold Rothstein, the Shah of Iran, Sonny Liston, and many big name politicians. He put everyone in the loss column in his glory days. He may have even outsmarted you, Arty. Who knows ?

Dick

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My Ti story

My Ti story

Dick Mc Morran said:
I'm sure you don't mean any disrespect to Titanic. His trickery, and con games were just fun for him. He made most of his money in country clubs, at golf, and cards. I'm sure you are aware, Fat's, Puckett, and Cornbread, looked up to him as the King of ALL hustler's. Even Mr. Cokes said he had never seen anybody with more ball's, and move's, than Ti. He could move in on anybody, Arnold Rothstein, the Shah of Iran, Sonny Liston, and many big name politicians. He put everyone in the loss column in his glory days. He may have even outsmarted you, Arty. Who knows ?

Dick

Dick, just for you I'll tell the only Titanic story that I have. I seen him in action only once down in Johnston City in the early 60s. He must have been 70 yrs old but he had 3 young girls traveling with him. He laid down a spread with an unwitting kid from Chicago named Tennesee Willy. Ti lost $400 to Willy playing 1pkt for 30 and 40 a game. He never made a ball and was acting semi-senile. Willy was a very loud obnoxious player and attracted a lot of attention. I knew Willy very well and he really thought the game was on the square, and was giving Ti plenty of "raspberries." I overheard the smart guys whispering that Ti was probably over the hill and was now a ripe target. The next day Ti had his choice of good games. He locked somebody up good, I forgot who, but I remember the bet. His first bet was naturally, $400 a game!

the Beard

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:

Dick
I stay loyale to my people and I dont no what tie realy did and who knows what he did. But we will give him his dues that he was great. BUt like anything else I have to realy hes and see what he did not just some things people say. And you have to give the whole epasod who he beat what he did to beat them and how he beat them. ONly by hering the evedence can you judge. And I would pick All Sherman if the matched up in certain games. And the out come would be All would have him hustling for him. Excepte All Sherman had a wekness for pool and he would lose big money playing pool and he loved playing jerry howard. And I no all the top hustlers would listen to all sherman and he was the boss. And he would even crawl around on the floor on a thousand dollaer suite. He was a clasick. And he would go in the store and come out with something he barowed and he would give it away free to some one. But the few dealings I had with Al onbody else mew or did what All did. And I am sorry I didnt learn more. And he made giant scores. And to me he was the best. BUt again not to many people new him and Tie had a reputation and is well known. But who knowes All sherman but the people he beat and the hustlers that worked with him. And I will give you noe name and he is a champion at cards he might be number one ever in life but we will but him in the top ten. Vince Jackson. And those are the people that new him. And if you realy want to no how good all was you have to ask the sorce. But not to many people knew what all did or what he could do. And he lost big money playing pool. But he always had fun. And he was always 100% with me. But Everyone gets to pick their man. And everyone thinks their man was the greatest but thats how it should be why lose faifh in what you belive. And I am sure their are a lot of other people who would pick someone else. JUst like all the people in their Citys think their team is the best. Nomater what you say or can prove. Because their are meny loyale fans.Even loyale citices to their country. And thats the way it should be. We have that choice living in a free country. And I wis you could put tie and al in a room for big money and see who comes out with the money. And their is no way that can be proven tell it hapines and that is imposable. So everyone gets to keep their champion. And Tie will still be number one with the public. Just like Minnesota Fats. But in a talking contest I would go broke on Fats. Their are a lot of under cover hustlers that dont want to be exposed. And the are very happy just the way it is. Their is one sure thing these men were great at what the did and nobody can ever take that away. These men were the greatest at what the did in the begining of our child hood. And I no Al was very rich and succesfull. And I no Fats ended up with some money after the move the hustler. I dont no If tie died rich or poor I dont even no who knows the truth. BUt Al had plenty of moey from all his hustles. And I belive taht the people in Detroit that new Al would take Al over Tie.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I stay loyale to my people and I dont no what tie realy did and who knows what he did. But we will give him his dues that he was great. BUt like anything else I have to realy hes and see what he did not just some things people say. And you have to give the whole epasod who he beat what he did to beat them and how he beat them. ONly by hering the evedence can you judge. And I would pick All Sherman if the matched up in certain games. And the out come would be All would have him hustling for him. Excepte All Sherman had a wekness for pool and he would lose big money playing pool and he loved playing jerry howard. And I no all the top hustlers would listen to all sherman and he was the boss. And he would even crawl around on the floor on a thousand dollaer suite. He was a clasick. And he would go in the store and come out with something he barowed and he would give it away free to some one. But the few dealings I had with Al onbody else mew or did what All did. And I am sorry I didnt learn more. And he made giant scores. And to me he was the best. BUt again not to many people new him and Tie had a reputation and is well known. But who knowes All sherman but the people he beat and the hustlers that worked with him. And I will give you noe name and he is a champion at cards he might be number one ever in life but we will but him in the top ten. Vince Jackson. And those are the people that new him. And if you realy want to no how good all was you have to ask the sorce. But not to many people knew what all did or what he could do. And he lost big money playing pool. But he always had fun. And he was always 100% with me. But Everyone gets to pick their man. And everyone thinks their man was the greatest but thats how it should be why lose faifh in what you belive. And I am sure their are a lot of other people who would pick someone else. JUst like all the people in their Citys think their team is the best. Nomater what you say or can prove. Because their are meny loyale fans.Even loyale citices to their country. And thats the way it should be. We have that choice living in a free country. And I wis you could put tie and al in a room for big money and see who comes out with the money. And their is no way that can be proven tell it hapines and that is imposable. So everyone gets to keep their champion. And Tie will still be number one with the public. Just like Minnesota Fats. But in a talking contest I would go broke on Fats. Their are a lot of under cover hustlers that dont want to be exposed. And the are very happy just the way it is. Their is one sure thing these men were great at what the did and nobody can ever take that away. These men were the greatest at what the did in the begining of our child hood. And I no Al was very rich and succesfull. And I no Fats ended up with some money after the move the hustler. I dont no If tie died rich or poor I dont even no who knows the truth. BUt Al had plenty of moey from all his hustles. And I belive taht the people in Detroit that new Al would take Al over Tie.

Artie,

I don't know this man you speak so highly of. If he had your respect, I'm sure he was a real hustler's, hustler. Titanic managed to stay somewhat under the radar, until very late in life. But, if you could put all the great hi-roller's and hustler's in one room, I'm talking, Coke's, Amarillo Slim, Brunson, Fat's, Sailor, Puckett, Cornbread, or anybody you can name, Ti would get 90% of the votes for best, and smartest, gambler that ever lived. Or you could ask the best golf pro's of his era, Ben hogan, Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, who made the MOST money playing golf. You would get the same answer from them, "Titanic
Thompson", no contest. Ti could have been a top notch pro golfer, but in those day's there was no money in golf. Ti liked to make money.
You've expressed your opinion, and I've expressed mine. You have the wrong horse in this race. JMHO

Dick

P.S Just like your guy, Ti had a little "pool sucker" in him too. Funny coincidence, huh ?

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Artie,

I don't know this man you speak so highly of. If he had your respect, I'm sure he was a real hustler's, hustler. Titanic managed to stay somewhat under the radar, until very late in life. But, if you could put all the great hi-roller's and hustler's in one room, I'm talking, Coke's, Amarillo Slim, Brunson, Fat's, Sailor, Puckett, Cornbread, or anybody you can name, Ti would get 90% of the votes for best, and smartest, gambler that ever lived. Or you could ask the best golf pro's of his era, Ben hogan, Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, who made the MOST money playing golf. You would get the same answer from them, "Titanic
Thompson", no contest. Ti could have been a top notch pro golfer, but in those day's there was no money in golf. Ti liked to make money.
You've expressed your opinion, and I've expressed mine. You have the wrong horse in this race. JMHO I am already said that Ti would win in a popularity contest. But thats because people only herd about him. And you have to say what he did to win the money at what game and how did he win it. I would like to get Tiger Woods against anyone in the world. I think I would be stealing. And their are some people who wood take Ben Hogen or Jack Nickalous or even Arnold palmer. BUt the Records and Statisticks specks for them self. And without satisticks and records of who the beat and when and how it is hard to say. Because you need proof and evidence. I have a friend in Texas Frank Garcia and he new probable all those names you mentioned. And I no he knows Doyle From when he played against him in texas and I no he knows Ti because he has done things with ti. I dont no Ti all I did was her about him. And I realy dont no what he did but Frank knows and Frank is about 82 years old. And he was pretty good himself at all games but pool. But I am still with my friend All Sherman. And nomater what anyone says we will both still have our own opinions. And thats Ok. Because 30 years from now it wont matter what anyone of us said anyway. Its just pasing time.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Dick Mc Morran said:
Artie,

You've expressed your opinion, and I've expressed mine. You have the wrong horse in this race. JMHO I am already said that Ti would win in a popularity contest. But thats because people only herd about him. And you have to say what he did to win the money at what game and how did he win it. I would like to get Tiger Woods against anyone in the world. I think I would be stealing. And their are some people who wood take Ben Hogen or Jack Nickalous or even Arnold palmer. BUt the Records and Statisticks specks for them self. And without satisticks and records of who the beat and when and how it is hard to say. Because you need proof and evidence. I have a friend in Texas Frank Garcia and he new probable all those names you mentioned. And I no he knows Doyle From when he played against him in texas and I no he knows Ti because he has done things with ti. I dont no Ti all I did was her about him. And I realy dont no what he did but Frank knows and Frank is about 82 years old. And he was pretty good himself at all games but pool. But I am still with my friend All Sherman. And nomater what anyone says we will both still have our own opinions. And thats Ok. Because 30 years from now it wont matter what anyone of us said anyway. Its just pasing time.

You are certainly right about that Arty, we are just passing time. Don't you wish we were 30 yrs. old, playing pool, and getting laid. We only go around once, but my "once" was fun. Hope yours was too.

Dick

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
You are certainly right about that Arty, we are just passing time. Don't you wish we were 30 yrs. old, playing pool, and getting laid. We only go around once, but my "once" was fun. Hope yours was too.

Dick
Im enjoying what I am doing and once I dont injoy it no more I will hang it up. And The times have passed me by. I always have fun thats what our one time journey is all about. And we cant play no more banks for time. And one of my greatest sayings is EVERY BODY GOES WHEN THE WHISLE BLOWES. I had a old saying that I used to tell people that the wouldnt pay a quarter to see the original cast of Jesus Christ. And that would end all the conversation. Unless Fats was aroud because he leared to keep talking tell you get what you want. And Fats had a great Voice and a funny attitude. To bad their arent more people like fats and even wc Fields.
Get away BOY you bother me.But I hope the start getting women involved for that all aroud tournament and Gold Medal Silver and Bronze.Women should not be left out because the cannot compet against me. Who knows maybe one day the will be able to compete with the men. I no that would hurt a lot of males egos. But the will over come it. And the might even respect women more. And china will learn that women dont have to walk behind men and the are equal to men as human beings. But everthing takes time in the circule of life.