Player list for Space City Open down in Houston

1pwannabe

Verified Member
There will be some very good 1P going on this weekend, look at these names.

Anybody want to guess a winner?

Charles Abbott
Jesse Langston
Robert Eaton
Joe Pelayo
Bobby Roland
Adam Cooper
Bob Hayes
Ernesto Bayaua
Maurice LeBlanc
David Kurjan
Jamie Farrell
Gabe Owen
Cliff Joyner
Dennis Orcullo
Jeremy Jones

James Davis, Jr.
Danny Lee
Denis Strickland
Sylver Ochoa
Shane McMinn
Robb Saez
Joey Grey

Manny Chau
Chip Compton
Tom Mooney
Mike Alonzo
Tommy Tokoph
Will Felder
Mike Massey
Phil Martin
Jeff Sparks
Shane Winters
Tony Chohan
Kenneth Price
John Demet
Richie Richeson

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tough field. I would say Tony or Jeremy.

So much depends on who has been playing, and playing well. I like both of your choices but I'd rather pick top 4 by adding Orcullo and Gray.

I don't think Gabe or Sylver are tuned in, although both are capable if I'm wrong about that. I'd rule out only Joyner, Richeson and Saez.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
So much depends on who has been playing, and playing well. I like both of your choices but I'd rather pick top 4 by adding Orcullo and Gray.

I don't think Gabe or Sylver are tuned in, although both are capable if I'm wrong about that. I'd rule out only Joyner, Richeson and Saez.

Orcullo has won a couple US Open One Pocket titles in spite of his moving. Corey handed him one of them trying to invent shots out of the stack.

If any of these guys get into a shootout with Dennis, they lose. He runs balls better than most. I think Tony C has tortured him a couple times for the cheese.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tony, Gabe, and Dennis. I don't know where Gabe is on his game but he has the tools. Jeremy is always tough.

I think Gabe is out of stroke, but don't ask me for a refund if you take my word for it. :)

(I saw him play poorly a few months ago, and I haven't heard of him being in action anywhere, but I miss a lot. :eek: )

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I think Gabe is out of stroke, but don't ask me for a refund if you take my word for it. :)

(I saw him play poorly a few months ago, and I haven't heard of him being in action anywhere, but I miss a lot. :eek: )

He beat RR 2 sets for $5,000.00 each about a week ago here in Houston.
He knows the game as well as anyone, it's his pocketing skills that might not be as sharp as they were a few years back.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Is that Mike Massey's name or am I seeing things?

Jeff,
You should invite him to the next SS tournament after you send him to the losers bracket.:D

Don't know who to pick but Tony C. is always a threat.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
He beat RR 2 sets for $5,000.00 each about a week ago here in Houston.
He knows the game as well as anyone, it's his pocketing skills that might not be as sharp as they were a few years back.
I

I think I might have RR under rated because I've seen him play very badly, and for what you'd have to call a foolish reason: Even though I've never seen RR out of line, he has a friend that I dislike intensely.

Anyway, I would give an in-stroke Gabe a solid edge. He was in a 10-way tied for #2 for several years. :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I

I think I might have RR under rated because I've seen him play very badly, and for what you'd have to call a foolish reason: Even though I've never seen RR out of line, he has a friend that I dislike intensely.

Anyway, I would give an in-stroke Gabe a solid edge. He was in a 10-way tied for #2 for several years. :)

I predict RR will over sleep and miss a match.

Lots of very talented players. Chip could beat anyone any given match. Many players Jamie Farrell's speed that could throw in an upset here and there.

If it wasn't my anniversary Saturday I'd be driving to Houston.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Is that Mike Massey's name or am I seeing things?

Jeff,
You should invite him to the next SS tournament after you send him to the losers bracket.:D

Don't know who to pick but Tony C. is always a threat.

Mike and I traveled together a bit back in the day, I remember one day in Tennessee he got religion all of a sudden and out of the clear blue sky, he gave his entire bankroll to a shoeshine boy and quit gambling. That's really the last time I saw him, had to be 45 years ago. Next time I hear about him he's the greatest trick shot shooter on some TV challenge show. He was always a pleasure to be around, nice guy, never did me wrong.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Mike and I traveled together a bit back in the day, I remember one day in Tennessee he got religion all of a sudden and out of the clear blue sky, he gave his entire bankroll to a shoeshine boy and quit gambling. That's really the last time I saw him, had to be 45 years ago. Next time I hear about him he's the greatest trick shot shooter on some TV challenge show. He was always a pleasure to be around, nice guy, never did me wrong.

Good luck, and play well. (I'll bet you don't raise up on tough shots playing 9-ball :heh )

MAN! I wish I could be there. Some sucker gave me 8/5 on you so I'm gonna put a little $500 bet on you so I'll have somethin' to sweat. :D

I assume you're in, right?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I saw Mike play a one-pocket match at the Southern Classic in Tunica a few years ago against Joyner. He damn near beat Cliff, and I believe that he cashed in the tournament. He'd definitely be one of the picks to win the SS if he attended.

~Doc