Wwed

1pwannabe

Verified Member
What would Efren do? His shot, he's giving 10-7. He's up 3-1 in ball count.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I can see a do-almost-nothing shot coming up. Hit the 7 ball in the face and follow it to the long rail. Positive result, and a problem for the incoming player.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Well, the angle of this image does not allow me to know for certain but it looks like Efren has barely enough room to slide between the fifteen and the fourteen to ticky the eight ball. This shot could be devastating to any contender. The eight will likely stop in a position which prevents a return kick into the three ball from off the head rail. I'll stick to this shot until someone who knows absolutely, that this path is not there.

Tom

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Well, the angle of this image does not allow me to know for certain but it looks like Efren has barely enough room to side between the fifteen and the fourteen to ticky the eight ball. This shot could be devastating to any contender. The eight will likely stop in a position which prevents a return kick into the three ball from off the head rail. I'll stick to this shot until someone who knows absolutely, that this path is not there.

Tom

If its available its a real strong shot

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hi Rob, I understand you will be doing the commentary for the extreme challenge One Pocket tournament in Coco Beach this weekend. This is a live stream event with eight strong seniors battling it out on two ten foot tables. You haven't reached the age of consent yet but your commentary will be very valuable to all who hear you.

I found out about this event too late to be a contender. Let us know the site name so we can watch and listen. Though I have never played a match on ten foot tables I'm disappointed I don't get to play.

Good luck,

Tom

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Well, the angle of this image does not allow me to know for certain but it looks like Efren has barely enough room to slide between the fifteen and the fourteen to ticky the eight ball. This shot could be devastating to any contender. The eight will likely stop in a position which prevents a return kick into the three ball from off the head rail. I'll stick to this shot until someone who knows absolutely, that this path is not there.

Tom

If this shot is not available, what do you think of pretty thin off the right side of the 3 with enough left english to go up and lay on or near his side rail, up near the corner?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If this shot is not available, what do you think of pretty thin off the right side of the 3 with enough left english to go up and lay on or near his side rail, up near the corner?

I think I'd try thinning the 6 instead and go top rail-long rail to hide the 3 behind the 7 (if the 14-8 isn't there.)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Billy, I don't think the angle is there to accomplish that shot. The three would have to be hit much more full to leave the cue ball where you suggest and that will send the three well wide of your pocket. If the three is hit thinly enough to keep it in the vacinity of your pocket than the cue ball will end up more or less near the side pocket on the opposite side rail.

Either way this position will allow your opponent an easy kick back into the fifteen and more trouble. No, I think we have to find a way to turn the trap to our advantage. Anything else will only result in deeper problems.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Tom's shot is good if available. Otherwise, like John, I'd come of the right side of the 6 ball, but I'd want to kick the CB off the head rail and come all the way back down toward the opponent's hole, preferably behind the 8. It might be necessary to use a little right spin. As long as the CB doesn't leak too far out from the opponent's side rail, it should be a good shot.

I don't know what Efren would do...;)

~Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like that too John, if the seven isn't in the way of the return track.

Tom

Thats the problem with the shot... that was the first shot I saw but coming off the 3rd rail looks like the 7 ball is huge but from these angles its always hard to tell

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy, I don't think the angle is there to accomplish that shot. The three would have to be hit much more full to leave the cue ball where you suggest and that will send the three well wide of your pocket. If the three is hit thinly enough to keep it in the vacinity of your pocket than the cue ball will end up more or less near the side pocket on the opposite side rail.

Either way this position will allow your opponent an easy kick back into the fifteen and more trouble. No, I think we have to find a way to turn the trap to our advantage. Anything else will only result in deeper problems.

Tom

Tom and Billy, playing off the 3ball is a touchy shot but could be accomplished by either shooting the 3ball in the top left pocket with a left of center ball hit or sending the 3ball slightly to the right of the top left pocket with the speed to position the 3ball back down table near the 4 and 14ball. Your cue ball (if struck with center left) should come off the side rail float to the top rail and spin to the left side rail in hopes to end up on or near the rail utilizing the 7ball to take away the right side rail for the return kick from your opponent. I understand that this shot has to be hit very well to get the results I described, however, considering the situation you're confronted with one should be content that the route is even there to possibly escape the trap and protect the position.

I believe coming off the 6ball sending the cue ball to the top rail right of the pocket and ending up on the side rail behind the 7ball (protecting the 3ball) would be an easier shot to execute with a more predictable cue ball.

The two shots that I described are low% shots to arrive at the optimal position on the table to protect your position, but, none the less they're there. Of course that's providing that Tom's initial shot of ticking the 8ball isn't available. Other than the three shots that have been brought up I really don't see much more you can do to salvage the position.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tom's shot is good if available. Otherwise, like John, I'd come of the right side of the 6 ball, but I'd want to kick the CB off the head rail and come all the way back down toward the opponent's hole, preferably behind the 8. It might be necessary to use a little right spin. As long as the CB doesn't leak too far out from the opponent's side rail, it should be a good shot.

~Doc

I actually like your shot better than mine, but I'm seein' too much scratch potential... if I have to use either rhe or lhe I'm really going to be guessing at the line.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Because of Efrens 3 cushion ability, I wouldn't put it past em to lag long rail behind the three and come three rails and land behind the eight. Laying the cue behind the eight not allowing a long rail lag back towards the 3.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Because of Efrens 3 cushion ability, I wouldn't put it past em to lag long rail behind the three and come three rails and land behind the eight. Laying the cue behind the eight not allowing a long rail lag back towards the 3.

Bill, I think you have a good idea there but it takes very good understanding of the angles. Efren certainly does have that going for him.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

~Doc

Your shot is an extension to the shot I described coming off the 6ball. I looked at this option and was concerned about controlling the 6ball and the cue ball to where you described. Your shot needs to be hit fairly hard and the 6ball needs o be hit much fatter than with my option off the 6ball. With this understanding controlling both the 6ball and cue ball may be a little too much to ask but if you feel you can pull it off it's a very strong shot and a possible game winner.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Three rail kick behind the eight.

I also looked at this shot and couldn't decide if you could even shoot through the space to execute the kick. Also the angle this type of kick would produce would send the cue ball two rails to the right of the 7ball and that's the opposite side of the 7ball you need to be on. So consequently you would then need to apply left english to create the angle you need coming off the top rail and that would require a certain speed that the shot would need to be hit with to maintain the left spin which would then take away the angle to drop under the 8ball.

I hope that I didn't confuse anyone, but this option is very complex because of the intricate or complicated association of related things.:confused::sorry

Dr. Bill

Cory in dc

Verified Member
There might be a controllable shot (for Efren) to hit at the 3 pretty full and take a little hop over the 6, go to the side rail and spin down behind the 8.

For me, I think I would go thin off the 6 and try to get down behind the 8--assuming the 3-railer is closed.