Whats the rule?

8andout

Verified Member
2013 US Open 1P, Deuel vs. Hall. Corey is very close to being hooked where he has to apply a touch of masse to throw the stripe into his pocket. Corey asks referee Ken Shuman to clean the cueball. Justin is complaining that you can't move the cueball (in this delicate situation) because if its put back even a tiny bit out of line it will be an advantage to Corey. Ken disagreed and marked the ball, cleaned it and replaced it. Corey shot the stripe in his hole. I think Corey would have made the ball anyway, but was moving the cueball the right thing to do in this situation? They were all laughing in the end.

Attachments

• cory.JPG
    cory.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

tylerdurden

Verified Member
This is a very good question. Theoretically, if you have an impartial ref, the error in putting it back could hurt him just as much as it could help him. In short, layout should probably not dictate when/if the ref does this.

I notice corey is pretty cagey. He probably wanted it moved, and if he gets a better look at the ball in question, all the better. If he would not have, perhaps he had a backup plan.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here's the WPA tournament rule which may be applicable:

1.8 Restoring a Position
When necessary for balls to be restored or cleaned, the referee will restore disturbed balls to their original positions to the best of his ability. The players must accept the referee’s judgment as to placement.

A Tournament Director has wide latitude in making decisions. If he felt the CB was soiled enough to affect it's play then he was within his authority to mark, clean, and replace it.

But Tyler is right-- Corey knows all the moves, and is cagey enough to think up new ones. I've personally seen him pull some unethical stuff. But that's pro pool...

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

1.8 Restoring a Position
When necessary for balls to be restored or cleaned, the referee will restore disturbed balls to their original positions to the best of his ability. The players must accept the referee’s judgment as to placement.

A Tournament Director has wide latitude in making decisions. If he felt the CB was soiled enough to affect it's play then he was within his authority to mark, clean, and replace it.

But Tyler is right-- Corey knows all the moves, and is cagey enough to think up new ones. I've personally seen him pull some unethical stuff. But that's pro pool...

Doc
Art, your starting to sound like some one else on this site with your assertion..not nice.:sorry:D

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

1.8 Restoring a Position

Doc
Art, your starting to sound like some one else on this site with your assertion..not nice.:sorry:D However, you're correct about the "latitude" thing.

Dr. Bill