its shanes shot
he has the right corner pocket as you look at the screen
BS1.jpg

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Looks like it may be possible to carom off the 10ball and play the 1ball, cue ball looks to go toward the safe side of the 6ball.
There's also the possibility.. the way I see the angle.. to bank the 10ball toward the top left pocket and carom off the 1ball and drop to the safe side of the 6ball. This shot sends the 10ball relatively out of play for extra insurance in protecting the lead in case of a miscalculation. ;)

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

bernie p

Verified Member
With a 7-2 advantage Shane is not necessarily forced to shoot an aggressive shot..... however there are not too many available strong safeties....and all the balls are relatively easy for Busty to run should Shane make an error.

It's not possible to tell from this angle, but if the 11 ball cuts, with the cue ball running into the 10, then I might shoot it. It is such a thin hit that I would really need to trust the table because a slight roll off in either direction could cost me the game.

As an alternate I would prefer a less risky, more effective option......shooting the 3 railer on the 4 ball. The angle looks just right without having to do anything with the cue ball except run it down to the long rail, adjacent the middle pocket, with ample cover on the cue ball if I got the speed right on the 4 ball. From here I don't believe that either the 11 or 12 ball short banks for Busty.

Bernie.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Looks like it may be possible to carom off the 10ball and play the 1ball, cue ball looks to go toward the safe side of the 6ball.
There's also the possibility.. the way I see the angle.. to bank the 10ball toward the top left pocket and carom off the 1ball and drop to the safe side of the 6ball. This shot sends the 10ball relatively out of play for extra insurance in protecting the lead in case of a miscalculation. ;)

Bill Incardona
This is hard to tell the way the balls are laying.The carom is a good shot if the ten ball isn't up to high and how far apart the one ball and the ten ball are. Again because its Shane a good shooter.I would have him cut the 11 ball in his pocket. To me it looks like he has the angle for the shot. But its hard to tell from the real table. To me that looks like the best shot.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This is tricky. There are a lot of ways to screw up here. I would go off the left side (as we look at the table) of the 5 ball thinly, to the side rail, and down to the end rail near the 6. It looks like the most doable with the least risk. It would be a mistake IMO to go for the 13 even for Shane. Moving the 5 is good because if you just go to the end rail, say off the 10, you leave a bank on the 5 that even I could make.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is hard to tell the way the balls are laying.The carom is a good shot if the ten ball isn't up to high and how far apart the one ball and the ten ball are. Again because its Shane a good shooter.I would have him cut the 11 ball in his pocket. To me it looks like he has the angle for the shot. But its hard to tell from the real table. To me that looks like the best shot.

I agree with both you and Bernie about the 11ball being the best option, providing it's available. I discounted that option simply because it didn't look available to me.

If that option isn't available, and the angle is there for the carom off the 10ball that would be my choice. Also the crucial angle with the carom is the one with the cue ball to the 10ball, if you can "follow through" the 10ball as opposed to "glancing" off it then the shot plays much more comfortably. If the cue ball was positioned slightly to Shane's right (the way we view the table) then this option plays much more comfortably.

The angle for the carom needs to be laying pretty good it's a tricky shot, maybe not the right shot if it's marginal.
Bill Incardona

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is tricky. There are a lot of ways to screw up here. I would go off the left side (as we look at the table) of the 5 ball thinly, to the side rail, and down to the end rail near the 6. It looks like the most doable with the least risk. It would be a mistake IMO to go for the 13 even for Shane. Moving the 5 is good because if you just go to the end rail, say off the 10, you leave a bank on the 5 that even I could make.

petie, thinly slicing the 5ball and dropping to the bottom rail is a good option providing you can avoid the scratch in the side pocket:eek: I would have to be certain of not scratching to pull the trigger on that shot.

In regard to leaving a bank on the 5ball after coming off the 10ball doesn't worry me in the least. First the bank isn't going to be a free one and secondly playing position off the bank will be a problem in itself. The starting position with the cue ball for the bank should be close to the bottom rail:eek: if so the bank probably wouldn't be an option. Jmo.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
carom the five off the ten, roll cue ball behind the 6, free shot plus ten going up table.

Bill, shooting the 5ball into the 10ball suggest to me that the scratch is possible, this option requires shooting 'through"the 5ball it doesn't look like that's the angle you have...at least that's the angle that I see. If you can comfortably shoot your shot it's a good option simply because you're shooting off the closest ball to the cue ball which will make the shot play easy and it looks natural, however, watch out for the scratch:eek:

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
With a 7-2 advantage Shane is not necessarily forced to shoot an aggressive shot..... however there are not too many available strong safeties....and all the balls are relatively easy for Busty to run should Shane make an error.

It's not possible to tell from this angle, but if the 11 ball cuts, with the cue ball running into the 10, then I might shoot it. It is such a thin hit that I would really need to trust the table because a slight roll off in either direction could cost me the game.

As an alternate I would prefer a less risky, more effective option......shooting the 3 railer on the 4 ball. The angle looks just right without having to do anything with the cue ball except run it down to the long rail, adjacent the middle pocket, with ample cover on the cue ball if I got the speed right on the 4 ball. From here I don't believe that either the 11 or 12 ball short banks for Busty.

Bernie.
Bernie, I really don't like the three railer with the 4ball:sorry Allow me to explain. First, for a player like myself striking the 4ball accurately enough to control the 4ball would be a problem considering both the speed I would need to position the 4ball with, and also shooting off the top rail would be a problem with the execution for me as well, especially if I followed the ball as opposed to elevating and hitting it with a stun stroke. Secondly I would be bringing the 4ball back down table and could possibly leave a return bank with the ball or possibly even a bank off the 11ball for my opponent. Too many things for me to be concerned with. However, if you feel good about the shot then it figures to be ok..for you. Now if you're referring to elevate and shoot the 4ball in that fashion by stunning it then I can feel that shot much better and would possibly shoot it if the carom angle wasn't there.

Actually Bernie there really isn't what one can call a good shot here..with the exception of the 11ball if available.. so I guess any of the shots suggested would be an option. :confused:

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
You guys scare me to death, talking about playing the carom off the 10 into the 1. This player is a game behind, ahead 7 balls to 2, and frozen to the rail, about 29 feet uptable. Missing your shot by 1/2 inch, and hitting the 1 ball first, could cost you the game, and you don't have to be Forrest Gump to miss this shot by 1/2 inch. It could happen to anyone, including SVB. I don't think there is any good reason here to take the chance. If you are careful, you are a 33 - 4 favorite to win this game, according to my calculations.

Play off the right side of the 10 ball and bank it off the short rail, leaving the cue ball on that rail, and close to the 6. Shoot any safe shot. (Could this be why I never win anything?)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You guys scare me to death, talking about playing the carom off the 10 into the 1. This player is a game behind, ahead 7 balls to 2, and frozen to the rail, about 29 feet uptable. Missing your shot by 1/2 inch, and hitting the 1 ball first, could cost you the game, and you don't have to be Forrest Gump to miss this shot by 1/2 inch. It could happen to anyone, including SVB. I don't think there is any good reason here to take the chance. If you are careful, you are a 33 - 4 favorite to win this game, according to my calculations.

Play off the right side of the 10 ball and bank it off the short rail, leaving the cue ball on that rail, and close to the 6. Shoot any safe shot. (Could this be why I never win anything?)
Bill you could be right about the problems with shooting the carom, can't argue with you there, however, if you shoot off the right side of the 10ball instead of the cue ball ending up on the bottom rail next to the 6ball you might be picking it up out of the pocket.:eek::D

Maybe the humidity is getting to ya. down there on the bayou.:eek::sorry

Have a good day Bill.:)

Bill Incardona

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Hmmm, maybe THAT'S why I never win anything! I can certainly see your point, but you have recognized mine, too. Shane needs a move that can't hurt him. His next shot has to be better than where he is now.

Have a good day in Dallas, Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
OPG, on the hill is a great place to be. I think Shane would have to be in much worse trouble than this to justify giving it up. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... As an alternate I would prefer a less risky, more effective option......shooting the 3 railer on the 4 ball. The angle looks just right without having to do anything with the cue ball except run it down to the long rail, adjacent the middle pocket, with ample cover on the cue ball if I got the speed right on the 4 ball. From here I don't believe that either the 11 or 12 ball short banks for Busty. Bernie.
The 3-railer on the 4 ball was the first shot I saw. What bothers me about the shot is the cue ball's proximity to the rail. If it were, say, a ball or ball and a half off the rail then I might go for it. If it's closer to the rail, it's too easy to screw up; at least for me, and maybe even SVB.

I'd like to let the CB roll ahead just a little, in order to have the 12 ball block the resting position of the 6.

The 11 ball cut doesn't look on to my eye, but I could be wrong.

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
If the carom off the one to pocket the 10 is laying right, then that's an option...but if not, then as far as I'm concerned, there's only one other shot to shoot here - it being the most assured, and the easiest to execute safety...and that is...

Shane softly cutting the 4ball towards the 1 and/or 13 ball, with the cueball just reaching and laying up on Busty's long rail approx. 1 diamond above the side pocket - this should leave Busty with awkward angles/balls diagonally blocking each other - with no clear cueball paths for him to bank any of the balls cross-corner - with no reasonable offensive shot.

- Ghost

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Bernie.

bernie shane did try the 3 railer
he took a loooong time to decide what to shoot
he got down to cut the stripe
he got down to do some thing with the 10/1
he got down to shoot the 4 ball
multiple times but couldnt pull the trigger
he got up and studied and thought about it some more
finally he tried the 3 railer
but hit it bad. it hit the tittie of the corner and headed toward the diagonal corner from bustys corner......:eek:
i diagrammed it best i could and you can see how it ended up when busty came to the table
BS3.jpg

BS10.jpg

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I think Shane would have been better off leaving the cueball in front of the upper corner pocket on busty's side and spot one. Am I wrong in that thinking? Would Busty cut the 4 in and risk a sell out?