Can the table and balls be too clean?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Is it best to play on the cleanest, fastest table with the cleanest balls? Or is it preferable to have things a little more "sticky" so you can put more twist on kicks/banks and throw object balls more?

The reason I ask is that I keep my table and balls really clean - every day before playing I vacuum the table twice and wipe everything with a damp cloth (table, balls, even the insides of the pockets where chalk tends to collect).

I do this because I like it, and because I have a mild allergy to the chalk dust. I also think it makes things a little more consistent - fewer skids, for example.

But am I helping or hurting things? Is a too clean table like a table with too tight pockets - making it harder to play the game as it should be played? I'm not saying I notice any drawbacks; just asking...

pj
chgo

P.S. By the way, I don't do this every day just for the chalk dust I create. "The table" is really a table at my local pool room that's used by others too - I just use it first every day and the owner lets me use his vacuum on it (he vacuums the other tables weekly).

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
PJ, I have a similar situation: good, clean, dry equipment. My first thought is that the balls pocket easier because of the slide. But there is a tendency to overcut the OBs if one is used to dirty or damp pool balls. Also I think that the OBs slide more when banked off the rails. You can watch them skid on the dry cloth for a bit before they take the over spin.

There is quite a contrast here on the Gulf Coast-- between tables in good condition, and the local pool room where the tables are dirty and wet. Some guys can adjust quickly. I'm a little slower...

~Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
PJ, I have a similar situation: good, clean, dry equipment. My first thought is that the balls pocket easier because of the slide. But there is a tendency to overcut the OBs if one is used to dirty or damp pool balls. Also I think that the OBs slide more when banked off the rails. You can watch them skid on the dry cloth for a bit before they take the over spin.

There is quite a contrast here on the Gulf Coast-- between tables in good condition, and the local pool room where the tables are dirty and wet. Some guys can adjust quickly. I'm a little slower...

~Doc
The table cant be too clean. But your bank roll could be to short.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have always thought you should try to practice as close as possible to the conditions you will be playing. If you'll be in a lot of bars.... you get the point. Further, practice on tight pockets. That is all I have ever worried about. I notice the snooker players tend to get a ton of skids, and they are constantly cleaning the balls.