Jan 6-10 -8 Champions Race to 7 $2000 Entry $5000 added

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I don't know how many balls Justin made in that match, but it wasn't many.. I only remember 7 in the 7 games.

Well, I guess it's time for Scott to give up that "Best one-pocket player in the world" title.

It may cost him a couple of $10,000-$20,000 sets before he realizes it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Danny and Josh playing to get to Justin... the winner of that to the final with T-Rex.

Danny won the first 5 games, Josh won the next five. Now tied at 5.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Josh won game 11, Danny won the next two.

I think the semi -- Danny and Justin -- will be at 6:00, and the final at noon tomorrow.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I went over and watched the Chohan/Hall and Smith/Roberts matches. As John said, Hall didn't do too much, losing 7-0. But I think he showed up for the match without warming up, whereas Tony was in dead punch. It was obvious from Justin's first few shots that he wasn't settled, and didn't know the speed of the table. He made several uncharacteristic misses and mistakes, which one can't do against Tony, and win.

But Tony is playing at a very high level. As a matter of fact some of his cue ball control shots reminded me of Efren's touch.

Danny Smith too was playing near perfect one-pocket. I was surprised to see that he grips the cue all the way at the end of the butt, and has a slight sawing motion to his stroke. But he gets through the ball as smooth as silk.

I thought his match was also going to be a wash. But Josh slowly got into a higher gear and kept plugging away. He eventually came from being down either 4-0 or 5-0 to come all the way back and get ahead 6-5. Then they got to double hill, and proceeded to an uptable game. Danny stayed pretty far ahead, usually up 5-0 or so. Then Josh made some mistakes which put Danny on the hill (although Danny missed a spot shot). At the end Josh had several routine balls to run, but on his 3rd shot he missed a relatively easy shot, which rolled into position for Smith to win.

I left after those two matches. I sure hope Hall is in better stroke for his match with Danny. But unless Tony backs off a little, I don't see anyone beating him, the way that he's playing. He's definitely ready for Frost.:cool:

Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Danny beat Justin 7-3.

Justin was not himself in this tournament... at least he was below what I have seen of him previously. He won his first match against Cliff, but played sub-par after that.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Orcullo has taken a lot of body blows from quite a few people on the site, I would like to defend him because I feel that I know him a little better than most and feel that he's a much better person than what many perceive him as being. Orcullo has always been a gentleman and a fair person from what I have witnessed, I know there was a problem with him and Hacker when they played but if that's the incident that people are judging him off of then we must all be guilty of being a not so good of a person, sorry.

Jay Helfert knows Orcullo very well and he is a stand up guy that will vouch for Orcullo as being a wonderful person, along with being one of the worlds best players. I like the guy and just wanted to add my $.02:sorry

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Orcullo has taken a lot of body blows from quite a few people on the site, I would like to defend him because I feel that I know him a little better than most and feel that he's a much better person than what many perceive him as being. Orcullo has always been a gentleman and a fair person from what I have witnessed, I know there was a problem with him and Hacker when they played but if that's the incident that people are judging him off of then we must all be guilty of being a not so good of a person, sorry.

Jay Helfert knows Orcullo very well and he is a stand up guy that will vouch for Orcullo as being a wonderful person, along with being one of the worlds best players. I like the guy and just wanted to add my $.02:sorry

Dr. Bill

Thanks Doc. I too have never seen anything rude or dishonest from him except the Hacker incident. I may have put too much confidence in thinking I knew exactly what happened there, and why.

I try really hard not to jump to conclusions, but it looks like I may have been guilty of it here.

Thanks again.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Danny beat Justin 7-3.

Justin was not himself in this tournament... at least he was below what I have seen of him previously. He won his first match against Cliff, but played sub-par after that.
You're right about that. He seemed to be about 20% off his usual compass. I notice that he's gained some weight (with a little gut), so he may be leading a more leisurely life.;) Joe Long told me that Justin has stopped the all-night gambling sessions, and other stuff, so he's trying to be more rational. But yet these things would seem to tend to improve him as a player. In this case he appeared to not be 100% involved in the activity at hand; a little distant; a little unprepared. He'll snap out of it.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
You're right about that. He seemed to be about 20% off his usual compass. I notice that he's gained some weight (with a little gut), so he may be leading a more leisurely life.;) Joe Long told me that Justin has stopped the all-night gambling sessions, and other stuff, so he's trying to be more rational. But yet these things would seem to tend to improve him as a player. In this case he appeared to not be 100% involved in the activity at hand; a little distant; a little unprepared. He'll snap out of it.

~Doc

The shots he really dug in on, like the tough banks, he hit well, but he missed a couple easy outs (for him) that I watched. Of course when you do that you always pump up the other player a notch.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
In this case he appeared to not be 100% involved in the activity at hand; a little distant;
~Doc

I think it's at least possible that each game with Tony knocked him a little bit more into the distance. I didn't get to see his play against Cliff, but it was a long battle and despite Cliff's tournament record the last few years, he can still bring it at times. (He played very well at Buffalo's, for instance.)

I hope Justin gets his mojo back. There are two ways normal humans might go from such a severe beat-down as he took in his last two matches.

Here's hopin' he goes the re-dedication route.