One pocket on a snooker table

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Steve reminded me of something in his thread with the 2 pocket one hole table...

What if they had a one pocket tournament played on a 6' x 12' regulation size snooker table (same sized balls too) and opened it up to all players. Besides the fact that it may be very long games I think this would be pretty neat/fun to try.

Also, do you think any of the great snooker players would have a chance because you were playing on their home "turf" or do you think the moves and shots from the great one pocket players would still prevail?

Just curious to see your thoughts...

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Steve reminded me of something in his thread with the 2 pocket one hole table...

What if they had a one pocket tournament played on a 6' x 12' regulation size snooker table (same sized balls too) and opened it up to all players. Besides the fact that it may be very long games I think this would be pretty neat/fun to try.

Also, do you think any of the great snooker players would have a chance because you were playing on their home "turf" or do you think the moves and shots from the great one pocket players would still prevail?

Just curious to see your thoughts...

The only player that I know for a fact that played One-Pocket on a 6' x 12' Snooker table was SJD. The tactics are as different from One-Pocket on a 5' x 10' Snooker table vs. a 9' pool table as they are from a 5' x 10' Snooker table. Distance comes even more into play on a 6' x 12', as you might expect.

Nobody would ever set up a bunch of 6' x 12' tables anyway but if they did then:

Being a great Snooker player wouldn't help if they did not know the tactics. They would be outmoved.

The "great" One-Pocket players probably never played One-Pocket on a 6' x 12' either and would have to learn. Playing One-Pocket on a Snooker table is 100% different than on a pooltable.

I have played 1Pocket on a 6' x 12' a couple of times and for me it was a waste of time. On a 5' x 10' Snooker table it was a much more common game around here due to it's popularity at the Rack and players trying to beat Jew Paul at it. On a 5' x 10' Snooker table it's a great game.

Almost all of the moves and shots are different on a Snooker table.

P.S. If the best One-Pocket players all knew the game on a 6' x 12' and so did the top Snooker players then I would give the edge to the tournament players unless it was a gambling situation.

Dennis

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The only player that I know for a fact that played One-Pocket on a 6' x 12' Snooker table was SJD. The tactics are as different from One-Pocket on a 5' x 10' Snooker table vs. a 9' pool table as they are from a 5' x 10' Snooker table. Distance comes even more into play on a 6' x 12', as you might expect.

Nobody would ever set up a bunch of 6' x 12' tables anyway but if they did then:

Being a great Snooker player wouldn't help if they did not know the tactics. They would be outmoved.

The "great" One-Pocket players probably never played One-Pocket on a 6' x 12' either and would have to learn. Playing One-Pocket on a Snooker table is 100% different than on a pooltable.

I have played 1Pocket on a 6' x 12' a couple of times and for me it was a waste of time. On a 5' x 10' Snooker table it was a much more common game around here due to it's popularity at the Rack and players trying to beat Jew Paul at it. On a 5' x 10' Snooker table it's a great game.

Almost all of the moves and shots are different on a Snooker table.

P.S. If the best One-Pocket players all knew the game on a 6' x 12' and so did the top Snooker players then I would give the edge to the tournament players unless it was a gambling situation.

Dennis

Nice, I have not tried playing one pocket on a snooker table but played plenty of "golf" back in the day. I agree that I think one hole players would have the advantage even playing on a table they weren't as familiar with.

I would love to see an exhibition match though of lets say:

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs SVB

My money is on SVB but I would still like to see it :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Nice, I have not tried playing one pocket on a snooker table but played plenty of "golf" back in the day. I agree that I think one hole players would have the advantage even playing on a table they weren't as familiar with.

I would love to see an exhibition match though of lets say:

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs SVB

My money is on SVB but I would still like to see it :)

If neither player had ever played 1Pocket on a Snooker table then I would expect O'Sullivan to rob SVB on a 6' x 12' because he runs balls so well on a 6' x 12'. Once he gets a shot he may just run a 147 in One-Pocket:p.

If it was played on a 5' x 10' it would be a toss-up but I'd bet on O'Sullivan.

P.S. Cornbread was the undisputed king of One-Pocket on a 5' x 10' Snooker table.

Dennis

unoperro

Verified Member
If neither player had ever played 1Pocket on a Snooker table then I would expect O'Sullivan to rob SVB on a 6' x 12' because he runs balls so well on a 6' x 12'. Once he gets a shot he may just run a 147 in One-Pocket:p.

If it was played on a 5' x 10' it would be a toss-up but I'd bet on O'Sullivan.

P.S. Cornbread was the undisputed king of One-Pocket on a 5' x 10' Snooker table.

Dennis

Alex may have a 44% chance. Ronnie is from another stratosphere. ;)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dennis

A quote from Grady:

Grady said:
Cornbread played better One Pocket on the Snooker table than anyone in the world. At a time when everybody except Bugs could get 10 to 8 from me on the pool table, including Red, I couldn't beat him getting 10 to 8 on the snooker table.
I'm not surprised to hear that SJD playes the game well. It's a different mindset and Jew Paul who was the best score at The Rack besides Rosie wouldn't play anything else for big money.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The only player that I know for a fact that played One-Pocket on a 6' x 12' Snooker table was SJD.

Dennis

SJDinPHX said:
Dennis,

You are right on when you say how much different the game is on a 5 X 10 snooker table as opposed to reg. pool table. I have played a lot of 1P on a snooker table, but here in Phx. we had 3, 6 X 12,s at the old Golden Cue (now closed for quite some time)
Next time you see Richie Rich, ask him how he and Frost liked playing the old man some on "Big Bertha" about 6/7 yrs. ago.
Scott sent Richie in to try and get me down at IP, but gave him strict instructions NOT to play on the 6 X 12. Richie didn't listen. I knew Richie, and I was holding out for weight at 1P on a pool table, but he jumped at even up on Big Bertha.
When Scott came in a few hours later, RR was stuck 3K, and Scott went ballistic, and took over the game...He didn't like it either.
There is almost as much difference between 12' and 10' snooker table 1P, as there is between 10' snooker and pool table 1P. Its a game not many players are familiar with.

Dick

PS Yes, thats the way to break 1P on a snooker table. (any size)

This from this thread started by moi:) http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2364

Dennis

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I grew up playing Snooker and Golf on a 12 footer. Now mostly 10ball and One Hole. Snooker tables bank much different than pool tables. That coupled with being able to pocket balls near/on the rail would give snooker players a huge edge over one pocket guys.

The guys I would watch would be the guys who play almost exclusively Golf. They can handle the table size and pocket tolerances plus can hit the multi rail shots.

Nick

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
thanks Dennis, I guess I need to learn to use the search feature instead of duplicating topics :)

In any case I appreciate the info and that is very interesting about conrbread!