Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Champion Billiards

2620 Shirlington Rd
Arlington Va 22206
703-521-3800

Champion Billiards is under new management

Champion Billiards is discussing a monthly one pocket tournament, a one day event

Would pursue sponsors for added monies but just want to know how much interest there could be. For decades DC has played the game of one pocket and, not that it matters, it's my game of choice as well

Champion Billiards would like to try and put something together

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated

how far would you travel?

added money needed or not needed at all?

weekend?

handicapped?

a two day event if added money was sufficient?

Just looking for some feedback - many thanks in advance for your time responding​

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bill, that's great news about Champion Billiards. If you're looking to have a monthly one day event, you'll pretty much have to limit it to races to two. It also must be handicapped, unless all the players are roughly equal in ability. Once the guys realize that they have a chance to do well, they'll really support it.

If you hold an annual or semi-annual event with nice added money, you'd want to do at least races to three.

Kolby's in Phoenix runs a very successful monthly handicapped event. Fast Lenny could probably give you some good tips in that regard. I prefer the A-B-C system, but they utilize something a little more complex.

SacTown Tom S. in Sacramento likewise has an excellent recurring event. He could share with you their system.

There may be guys within 200 miles of Washington who might love to play a 1P tournament, since there are so very few of them offered. The key is to get the word out. You might even get the Keifer to show up!

Very best of luck~ Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento has a monthly One Pocket event.
There are usually at least 24 players entered. There has been 43 players entered (we finished at 3am). The first Saturday of the month is our scheduled One Pocket event.

DE race to 2, alternate break, there is a warning for slow play. 90 minutes is suffice for 3 games of One Pocket in a tournament. Tournament conditions are very different than matching up. If you like to play slow, playing in a tournament is not a wise choice.

Entry fee is $30 with $300 added. The tournament has always been a ONE day event. Play starts after the bracket is completed. Usually around 110 pm

If you do a two day event, try to give the room back to the owner for RETAIL customers and players that want to match up around 8pm. You could possibly get by with just 4 tables from 8pm until midnight. Save your money matches for Sunday. You might want to consider a race to 3 on the winners side and a race to 2 on the one loss side if you do a two day event.
Single final race to 4.

Handicapped tournament are great if you really know the speed of the players that sigh up.

The One Pocket tournaments at Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento are always OPEN to all that can pony up $30.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
gulfportdoc said:
Bill, that's great news about Champion Billiards. If you're looking to have a monthly one day event, you'll pretty much have to limit it to races to two. It also must be handicapped, unless all the players are roughly equal in ability. Once the guys realize that they have a chance to do well, they'll really support it.

If you hold an annual or semi-annual event with nice added money, you'd want to do at least races to three.

Kolby's in Phoenix runs a very successful monthly handicapped event. Fast Lenny could probably give you some good tips in that regard. I prefer the A-B-C system, but they utilize something a little more complex.

SacTown Tom S. in Sacramento likewise has an excellent recurring event. He could share with you their system.

There may be guys within 200 miles of Washington who might love to play a 1P tournament, since there are so very few of them offered. The key is to get the word out. You might even get the Keifer to show up!

Very best of luck~ Doc

Thanks for the vote of confidence Doc. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Besides the tournaments we are renovating and trying to get this poolroom back in order. The previous owner left it in shambles. Again, thanks for the reply

Billy

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
SactownTom said:
Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento has a monthly One Pocket event.
There are usually at least 24 players entered. There has been 43 players entered (we finished at 3am). The first Saturday of the month is our scheduled One Pocket event.

DE race to 2, alternate break, there is a warning for slow play. 90 minutes is suffice for 3 games of One Pocket in a tournament. Tournament conditions are very different than matching up. If you like to play slow, playing in a tournament is not a wise choice.

Entry fee is $30 with $300 added. The tournament has always been a ONE day event. Play starts after the bracket is completed. Usually around 110 pm

If you do a two day event, try to give the room back to the owner for RETAIL customers and players that want to match up around 8pm. You could possibly get by with just 4 tables from 8pm until midnight. Save your money matches for Sunday. You might want to consider a race to 3 on the winners side and a race to 2 on the one loss side if you do a two day event.
Single final race to 4.

Handicapped tournament are great if you really know the speed of the players that sigh up.

The One Pocket tournaments at Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento are always OPEN to all that can pony up $30.

And thank you as well Tom. You guys on the left coast have such a fine pick of players. Your poolroom is established as well

Will take heed from the both of you

Many thanks for the time to respond, we're going to do something so stay tuned

Billy

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Good luck with the tournament Bill. We just had our first one-day one pocket event at a pool hall near some of us in Providence, RI. There's a thread on it if you want more details, but suffice it to say, it went great, and we got advice from both Doc and Tom on the format and handicaps. We were able to finish it in one day with a field of 24, double elimination, race to 2. Next time, we'll keep a closer watch on a few of the slow players, which should speed things up quite a bit. Most of us were rather amazed to have a full field of 24 in an area that's generally not known to be a hot bed of one pocket activity. Feel free to ask any questions, and we'll be more than happy to try and answer them.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
twister said:
Good luck with the tournament Bill. We just had our first one-day one pocket event at a pool hall near some of us in Providence, RI. There's a thread on it if you want more details, but suffice it to say, it went great, and we got advice from both Doc and Tom on the format and handicaps. We were able to finish it in one day with a field of 24, double elimination, race to 2. Next time, we'll keep a closer watch on a few of the slow players, which should speed things up quite a bit. Most of us were rather amazed to have a full field of 24 in an area that's generally not known to be a hot bed of one pocket activity. Feel free to ask any questions, and we'll be more than happy to try and answer them.

Hey many thanks for the info Twister. Will look into your thread

But certainly congrats on the great turnout :) I'm envious and thrilled to see so many players participating in such a wonderful game. Will stay in touch

Bill

Matt_24

Verified Member
Bill said:
Champion Billiards

2620 Shirlington Rd
Arlington Va 22206
703-521-3800

Champion Billiards is under new management

Champion Billiards is discussing a monthly one pocket tournament, a one day event

Would pursue sponsors for added monies but just want to know how much interest there could be. For decades DC has played the game of one pocket and, not that it matters, it's my game of choice as well

Champion Billiards would like to try and put something together

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated

how far would you travel?

added money needed or not needed at all?

weekend?

handicapped?

a two day event if added money was sufficient?

Just looking for some feedback - many thanks in advance for your time responding​

I played at Champion's for years. The last owners jacked that place up....the tables were terrible, etc. Glad to hear that someone will get it back on track as that is a great room. It seemed for years that they left the showroom area in shambles after the original owners sold it. I noticed that the one or two times I visited. That was a great space as well.

Hopefully you can get some action going again. Fix those tables and pockets! They had those pockets so freakin' tight, no living human could hardly make a ball. Horrible, job. Champions had a big league night and don't know HOW those players could make a ball.

One Pocket tournament sounds great. I think it will generate some interest as that is all everyone plays. I would say a race to two is the way to go. Good luck!

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Matt_24 said:
I played at Champion's for years. The last owners jacked that place up....the tables were terrible, etc. Glad to hear that someone will get it back on track as that is a great room. It seemed for years that they left the showroom area in shambles after the original owners sold it. I noticed that the one or two times I visited. That was a great space as well.

Hopefully you can get some action going again. Fix those tables and pockets! They had those pockets so freakin' tight, no living human could hardly make a ball. Horrible, job. Champions had a big league night and don't know HOW those players could make a ball.

One Pocket tournament sounds great. I think it will generate some interest as that is all everyone plays. I would say a race to two is the way to go. Good luck!

Hello Matt, Tables still need work as they are older Gold Crowns but I'm certainly making an effort. You're still in the Air Force I'd presume? Stop by and say hello Matt if you're still in the area. CUL8R

Matt_24

Verified Member
Oh, this is world-famous one pocket player, Billy Stephens. What's up, man? I will definitely make it down, first chance I get!

I'm still in the Air Force. Good memory!

My buddy Rick told me over the weekend that you were managing the room now. Absolute smartest move they made, hiring you! I know you'll do great things with Champions! He mentioned that you were looking at possibly buying it at some point? I didn't recognize it was you from your first post.

I'll spread the word to all Buck, Clay, and all those guys.

Take care,
Matt

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Matt_24 said:
Oh, this is world-famous one pocket player, Billy Stephens. What's up, man? I will definitely make it down, first chance I get!

I'm still in the Air Force. Good memory!

My buddy Rick told me over the weekend that you were managing the room now. Absolute smartest move they made, hiring you! I know you'll do great things with Champions! He mentioned that you were looking at possibly buying it at some point? I didn't recognize it was you from your first post.

I'll spread the word to all Buck, Clay, and all those guys.

Take care,
Matt

You're too kind with your words Matt. Divorce has taken me out of the pool scene for many a moon now and my game is not what it used to be ... if it ever was as you so eloquently put it :)

Trying to take Champion Billiards back to respectability. The character of this poolroom has been severely tarnished. We certainly are making an effort

Good to hear from you

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hey Bill.....I don't know if you remember, but we played a few hours of One Pocket one time - we had a good battle...I can't remember exactly, but it was probably around 15 years ago, and it was at Chris's Billiards in Chicago - you were visiting Chicago, so you might remember when it was.....anyways, good luck with the new poolroom, and the tournaments.

- Ghost

Matt_24

Verified Member
Bill said:
You're too kind with your words Matt. Divorce has taken me out of the pool scene for many a moon now and my game is not what it used to be ... if it ever was as you so eloquently put it :)

Trying to take Champion Billiards back to respectability. The character of this poolroom has been severely tarnished. We certainly are making an effort

Good to hear from you

Divorce is tough. I'm going through one right now as well!

If anyone can take Champion's back to respectability, it will be you.

I'll see you soon.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Bill.....I don't know if you remember, but we played a few hours of One Pocket one time - we had a good battle...I can't remember exactly, but it was probably around 15 years ago, and it was at Chris's Billiards in Chicago - you were visiting Chicago, so you might remember when it was.....anyways, good luck with the new poolroom, and the tournaments.

- Ghost

I remember going to Chris' but I honestly don't recall specifically our match

Bet you're still spending the winnings though :)

Now that I know we have something in common ...