Question about who plays how ?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Here's a situation that came up for me a coupla days ago. Lets see what the consensus is? You need all 3 balls what's your 2nd shot. :confused:
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AVmJ4BWbH3CGsK3DDyM4EXJP3FSkK3GJeL4HUoO4ISLP3JYuR3KPqK3LMgL4MPaP4NQRh4OMgP3PHGA4Qdfw@[/CUETABLE]

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
This is how I would shoot it.

Dud

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AVmJ4BWbH3CGsK3DDyM4EXJP3FSkK3GJeL4HUoO4ISLP3JYuR3KPqK3LMgL4MPaP4NQRh4OMgP3PHGA4Qdfw4VWbH4VcQo3kHGA4kUmv8kYFW4kbhf1kNQR@[/CUETABLE]

Fanatic

Verified Member
androd said:
Here's a situation that came up for me a coupla days ago. Lets see what the consensus is? You need all 3 balls what's your 2nd shot. :confused:
Rod.

Hi Rod,
well I would be shooting the bank...eventually your gonna have to shoot the bank so why not here when you have the opportunity for a great chance at placing the qball in an ideal position for the bank which will lead to a natural position on the 14. The reason I don't like the 14 is because I'd either have to Z the qball which makes scratching in either side pocket a huge posibility or I'd have to draw/stun the qball one rail to the 14 which could leave me an akward angle for the 14 with a not so good position for the bank later. To play position on the 14 you have to get just right. But playing for the bank just seems more natural to me. Although this is the less agressive way, at this level that cross corner should be a hanger to most all on this site.
XOXO

P.S even if by chance you do miss the bank, now your opponent has to worry about getting 2 balls out instead of one ....imho

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fanatic said:
androd said:
Rod.

Hi Rod,
well I would be shooting the bank...eventually your gonna have to shoot the bank so why not here when you have the opportunity for a great chance at placing the qball in an ideal position for the bank which will lead to a natural position on the 14. The reason I don't like the 14 is because I'd either have to Z the qball which makes scratching in either side pocket a huge posibility or I'd have to draw/stun the qball one rail to the 14 which could leave me an akward angle for the 14 with a not so good position for the bank later. To play position on the 14 you have to get just right. But playing for the bank just seems more natural to me. Although this is the less agressive way, at this level that cross corner should be a hanger to most all on this site.
XOXO

P.S even if by chance you do miss the bank, now your opponent has to worry about getting 2 balls out instead of one ....imho
welcome back stranger. i too would shoot the bank for the same reason. easy shape for the bank ,natural shape for the 14. i dont plan on missing the bank, :D

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Well this is one of the easiest ones we have had to comment on playing. You for sure take the bank on the 10 not a hard bank and as someone else said the shape on the 14 is natural.---Smitty

senor

Verified Member
androd said:
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AVmJ4BWbH3CGsK3DDyM4EXJP3FSkK3GJeL4HUoO4ISLP3JYuR3KPqK3LMgL4MPaP4NQRh4OMgP3PHGA4Qdfw@[/CUETABLE]

If the table is sopping wet and springy, hopefully I would be astute enough to recognize this and play shape on the bank. If the conditions are good then I would play shape on the 14.

I'm not sure if I was ever that astute when I was playing all the time, but in the future I know I will be.

Skin

Verified Member
On my table I would bank the 10 second. However, one of the pool halls here where a lot of 1p gets played has Olhausens which bank terrible. The only shot you've got for accuracy is rifling the ball. If I were on one of those, I'd shoot the 14 and then bank the 10.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Rod.

On a table that has extremely tight pockets I'd play shapes for the 14 next. On a table that will take two balls in the jaws of the pocket(or larger), I'd bank the 10 next.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
On a table that has extremely tight pockets I'd play shapes for the 14 next. On a table that will take two balls in the jaws of the pocket(or larger), I'd bank the 10 next.

I agree exactly with Dennis on this.

- Ghost

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am reminded of an old pool saying, "Don't play position if you already have position." I would interpret that here as a reminder to take the dead nuts easy position for the bank next on the 10-ball, and shoot the 14 last. You could relatively easily screw up by drawing for position on the 14-ball, by accidentally bumping into the 14 or not drawing enough, or getting an odd angle, etc. Whereas you cannot screw up position for the bank on the 10. imho

senor

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
2-14-10. I play on tight pockets. It has plan b built in it also.

Aren't all nine foots nowadays triple tough?

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I thinkthe diamonds play tougher than the older gold crowns, because the rubber is lower. That also explains the speed difference. Even the same pocket size, a ball is round, ahigher rail requires slghtly smaller width to play equally. I kow it is small, but it is noticeable.

And explains why the GC adds more running english, the higher the rail, the more surface area on the ball striking it, given the same speed.

Then the pockets ar cut deeper....

senor said:
Aren't all nine foots nowadays triple tough?

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
androd said:
Rod.

I'd play for the bank. Especially if I was bettin High.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
In this scenario I definately prefer to play shape on the 14.
If I can't get a decent angle on the 14 ball then I am really strugglin and should prolly break down and try again tomorrow.

I agree with the point about shooting the bank shot on a tight table vs buckets but I can't remember the last time I played on a table with big pockets.

Dud

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dudley said:
I agree with the point about shooting the bank shot on a tight table vs buckets but I can't remember the last time I played on a table with big pockets.
I was watching a match from the '96 1P U.S. Open the other night between Jamie Goodwin and Parica. The tables were AMF's with 5" pockets! They were rollin' em in from everywhere! Incidentally, Beard was commentating with Cardone.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Here's the recap.

Here's the recap.

More bankers on the 2nd shot, but close.
Rod.
PS, thx to those who commented.

Attachments

• poll.jpg
    poll.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Rod.

Didn't get in in time, but I'm definately banking the 10. Why risk not getting just right on the 14...to play for the 10 ball bank (for your last shot) ???...Perfect shape on the 14 is missable...it is NOT missable on the 10 ball bank.
Also, if you jaw the 10 (worst scenario) you should be close to straight in on the 14...No ??? (unless you're a "Quad") :eek:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
androd said:
Rod.

Rod......Not quite right on Dennis and me in the groupings...Dennis and I aren't exactly in either camp on this - we're dependent on pocket size...to be more specific...

On 4-1/2" pockets, I'm shooting the bank second...and since I play most of my pool on 4-1/2" pockets, I belong more in the bank choice group....pockets 4-1/8" or smaller, is when I would switch to playing for the 14....not sure if these would also be Dennis's parameters.

- Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Didn't get in in time.

(unless you're a "Quad") :eek:

What are you? Special or something? The layout's been up for more than 26 hours and you give an opinion AFTER Rod has concluded the voting.

And don't be makin' fun of "Quad". We're playing tomorrow.