2010 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
...In fact, we have been heading in the direction of just one inductee for One Pocket and Bank Pool. We could even cut back further, so we bring in a deceased player only every other year or something along those lines -- kind of a legacy category.
Alright, so before everyone campaigns and votes, what is the format this year? Only one player to be inducted? Or one player, plus the deceased player with the highest vote count?

Will there be an award for Lifetime Pool in Action? And in bank pool, will there just be a single inductee?

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
Unexpected deceased category? Doc, that category has been in place every year so far. How do you think guys like Hayden Lingo, Cannonball, Youngblood Washington, etc., got in? Give yourself an adjustment.

Beard

At least you are right about Clem Metz and Allen Hopkins. Hopkins was rated #1 in the world for a couple years. Clem beat Eddie Taylor even in Cinncinnati, so ...
Greg Sullivan has been one of pool's greatest promoters, and lets not forget Bob Jewett, and maybe even Mike Shamus.
Well, no, there hasn't been a deceased "category" every year. Where did you see that written? And it's an "adjustment" of the HOF that some of us would not like to see.

BTW, in my earlier post re Metz, Hall and Hopkins, I egregiously left out SJD. IMO he certainly qualifies for the After Hours and Legends distinction. You can have the "at least" comment.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I beg to differ

I beg to differ

gulfportdoc said:
Well, no, there hasn't been a deceased "category" every year. Where did you see that written? And it's an "adjustment" of the HOF that some of us would not like to see.

You lost me with that sentence. Just what is it that you would not like to see? Please clarify.

BTW, in my earlier post re Metz, Hall and Hopkins, I egregiously left out SJD. IMO he certainly qualifies for the After Hours and Legends distinction. You can have the "at least" comment.

Doc

There has been a deceased category every year. The only year nobody dead got in was 2008. Apparently Steve reserves the right to insert however many candidates as he deems reasonable to preserve the integrity of the HOF.
The two separate voting counts has been in place every year. Most votes for living, most for dead. Did you think it was a coincidence that the bottom half of the ballot list contained only dead people?

Bucket List:
2010 Minnesota Fats
2009 Marvin Henderson
2007 Rags Fitzpatrick, Hayden Lingo, Cannonball Chapman, Youngblood Washington
2006 Steve Cook, Cornbread Red, Gary Spaeth,
2005 Boston Shorty, Jersey Red

Beard

JAM

Verified Member
I'm always surprised each year with the One-Pocket Hall of Fame nomination process.

May the best player well known for their category get recognized by their peers and friends.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dont worry Jammy,

Dont worry Jammy,

JAM said:
I'm always surprised each year with the One-Pocket Hall of Fame nomination process.

May the best player well known for their category get recognized by their peers and friends.

...I always have Ether in the back of my mind. His main problem is that he played 9 ball too friggen good. When they think of Keith they dont think of bank pool or onepocket. His gambling rep didnt help him with the creep BCA either. Lifetime Action Award would be a good fit.

Beard

On the other hand, I think that the Lifetime Action and Advancement Award as someone suggested for SJD, might be a demeaning idea to someone, who I must admit (because I am not as ignoble as he is), played and specialized in Onepocket all his life, and played it at a high level.
Steve Booth, who didnt know me very well at the time, suggested the Lifetime Achievement award to me for acknowledgement of my bank pool books, I told him if I was going to be selected, it would be as a lifetime, top notch bank pool player, not as a story teller or a book writer.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Well, I can't WAIT to see what's going to happen this year. Last year Parica rightfully got in. A surprise development was the induction of a player who --although he finished 4th in the voting-- was given the nod by way of an unexpected "deceased" category. Perhaps Beard is just a great campaigner.;)

Since there has been no mention of the "deceased" category this time around, I'm left to wonder if it will be in place this year. If so, I think it would be fair to establish it at the git-go. Here is the thread where this issue was discussed last year:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3455

If there is a deceased category this year, I like Ervolino. Otherwise I like Clem Metz, Buddy Hall, and Allen Hopkins. I'm not sure if Metz is still alive, so that may affect his grouping. Everyone I've ever heard talk about Metz said that he was at the very top of the excellence list. His chances of induction are slim, because he's not a marquee name.

For Teachers and Promoters, I like Greg Sullivan and Eddie Robin, in that order. Granted, Eddie is something of a loose cannon, and there are a couple of guys on this forum who are not big fans of his. But he got some important books published that we all have; and would probably not have seen the light of day without him.

Doc
I agree with all your choices, they are all deservant of induction and would be an injustice if they weren't inducted at some point. Why not now?

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
Here's mine...

Here's mine...

I had to edit this post because I missed the two other catagory's. As I do every year since the inception of the HOF, my vote goes to;

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
Eugene "Johnny" Ervolino...and it will be every year until he is inducted.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
Monster John Rouse...been around since Johnson City, played virtually anyone that posed a challenge, total backroom legend.

3. Teachers and Promoters
Greg Sullivan comes to mind, never stops doing for pool.

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
...I always have Ether in the back of my mind. His main problem is that he played 9 ball too friggen good. When they think of Keith they dont think of bank pool or onepocket. His gambling rep didnt help him with the creep BCA either. Lifetime Action Award would be a good fit....

I would be interested to see the list of pool players who have inducted into the OnePocket.Org's Hall of Fame for the Lifetime Action Award. Is there a link somewhere? If there is not a link, could somebody please provide the names on this thread?

Thanks in advance. :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
JAM said:
I would be interested to see the list of pool players who have inducted into the OnePocket.Org's Hall of Fame for the Lifetime Action Award. Is there a link somewhere? If there is not a link, could somebody please provide the names on this thread?

JAM heres the list
Lifetime Pool in Action

* Harry Platis *
* Jimmy Reid *
* George Rood *
* Denny Searcy *
* Jimmy 'Flyboy' Spears *

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
lll said:
JAM hers the list
Lifetime Pool in Action

* Harry Platis *
* Jimmy Reid *
* George Rood *
* Denny Searcy *
* Jimmy 'Flyboy' Spears *

Thank you for posting the names of the pool players who have been inducted thus far in the OnePocket.Org's Hall of Fame, recognized for their Lifetime Pool in Action.

I'd give you some green rep, but I guess I'm on the wrong forum.

PreacherRonn

Verified Member
From
Mesa, AZ
One Pocket Hall of Fame

One Pocket Hall of Fame

My vote is for Dick McMoran (San Jose Dick). I've know Dick for many years, and he's always been tough. Facts straight, you probably wouldn't like playing even Golf on a 6 X 12 no matter who you, are and Dick is in his 70's.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of playing both ring games and heads up matches. We've had several matches that have lasted 24+ hours with no breaks. Dick is a Warrior in both tournament play and for the cash. I'm really glad that I didn't tangle with him 15 years ago (or even 10 years ago). My hats off to anyone that can keep up with him and he certainly deserves nomination.

My greatest respect.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:

All of our Hall of Fame players -- Banks, One Pocket & Lifetime Pool in Action -- are listed on our Hall of Fame page; just go there and then scroll down a bit. All of them should also have their own pages, with a little background info/bio and photos -- just click on their names in the lists, they should all be active links.

One Pocket Hall of Fame

NH Steve said:
All of our Hall of Fame players -- Banks, One Pocket & Lifetime Pool in Action -- are listed on our Hall of Fame page; just go there and then scroll down a bit. All of them should also have their own pages, with a little background info/bio and photos -- just click on their names in the lists, they should all be active links.

One Pocket Hall of Fame

Yeah, Steve, the site is very organized and it's very easy to see all of the inductees.
I’d like to say that I think Steve Booth has done an awesome job with the HOF nominations and inductions. It’s not a perfect system, but no system is. I particularly like the way Steve invites suggestions and is always open and welcoming to input from the forum members. It’s probably somewhat of a work in progress. I have not been on this forum for very long, so my perceptions may not be as acute as others. But, when it comes to nominations and voting, it seems that popularity is a big issue. Nothing new and unusual about that. That’s how it tends to work in almost all elections. In particular, I’ve noticed that “present” popularity tends to be a big factor. I think that with some people, jumping on the bandwagon is the way to go. Some tend to go with a “popular” idea or person for the sole purpose of acceptance by others.

I think the onepocket.org site is a phenomenal site. It always runs smoothly and I believe Steve is to thank for that.

Good luck to all, and I know all of the independent thinkers here on the forum will vote for the best man or woman in his/her category. Hey, ain't it bout time for a female inductee?????

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Clare said:
Yeah, Steve, the site is very organized and it's very easy to see all of the inductees.
I’d like to say that I think Steve Booth has done an awesome job with the HOF nominations and inductions. It’s not a perfect system, but no system is. I particularly like the way Steve invites suggestions and is always open and welcoming to input from the forum members. It’s probably somewhat of a work in progress. I have not been on this forum for very long, so my perceptions may not be as acute as others. But, when it comes to nominations and voting, it seems that popularity is a big issue. Nothing new and unusual about that. That’s how it tends to work in almost all elections. In particular, I’ve noticed that “present” popularity tends to be a big factor. I think that with some people, jumping on the bandwagon is the way to go. Some tend to go with a “popular” idea or person for the sole purpose of acceptance by others.

I think the onepocket.org site is a phenomenal site. It always runs smoothly and I believe Steve is to thank for that.

Good luck to all, and I know all of the independent thinkers here on the forum will vote for the best man or woman in his/her category. Hey, ain't it bout time for a female inductee?????
clare dont overlook that last year jeanette lee won the "st.louie" louie roberts award for action and entertainment last year at the dcc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
There has been a deceased category every year. The only year nobody dead got in was 2008. Apparently Steve reserves the right to insert however many candidates as he deems reasonable to preserve the integrity of the HOF.
The two separate voting counts has been in place every year. Most votes for living, most for dead. Did you think it was a coincidence that the bottom half of the ballot list contained only dead people?

Bucket List:
2010 Minnesota Fats
2009 Marvin Henderson
2007 Rags Fitzpatrick, Hayden Lingo, Cannonball Chapman, Youngblood Washington
2006 Steve Cook, Cornbread Red, Gary Spaeth,
2005 Boston Shorty, Jersey Red

Beard
Crack wise if you like. But playing dumb doesn't suit you.:D Of course there have been deceased players available for consideration every year. But I don't ever recall being alerted that there would be a living player, and also a deceased player inducted for any given year. Steve mentioned that he probably should have made that understood a little clearer for the past two elections. That's good enough for me.

But now I'm wondering what the format will be for this year? Granted, it's Steve's site, and therefore his HOF. He can handle it in any way that he chooses. But for the people who take the time to consider their choices, and then vote, it seems to me that they'd like to know for what their votes will be used.

Doc

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Some great names have been listed so far. I think Clem Metz deserves strong consideration. Last I heard he was still living, can this be verified? Also, I second the nominations for Buddy Hall and Handsome Danny Jones.

Also, I like the idea of Keith McCready getting the Lifetime Action Award.

Ktown

Verified Member
So it seems Shannon is not going to be on the ballot this year? I was hoping he would get the opportunity and I just want to know if there is a chance before I make my reservations.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
oldspurguy said:
Some great names have been listed so far. I think Clem Metz deserves strong consideration. Last I heard he was still living, can this be verified? Also, I second the nominations for Buddy Hall and Handsome Danny Jones.

Also, I like the idea of Keith McCready getting the Lifetime Action Award.
I am pretty sure Clem is still living. The most amazing thing is that his mother may also be living -- last I heard she was one of the oldest residents of Ohio if not the country! Something like 108....