D. Appleton vs. S. Ochoa 2012 Tunica

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I would either stiff the 12 a little trying for a solid hit on the 3 ball forcing the CB forward a couple of inches to shield the possibility of banking the 14 ball or sliding off it. Or I might bank the 12 over to my side through the gap and put the CB behind the 11 ball. All depends on what I thought at the table looking at the execution of the shots.

Prolly stiff and force follow.

Mike

Verified Member
I prefer your second option with going behind the 11.

baby huey

Verified Member
Take a long look at the seven ball carom into your hole. Other wise cross bank the striped ball on Ochoa's side.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I like a version of Jeff's shot and it looks to be on:

Bank the 12 into the 3 and use a little left on the CB to bring it behind the 11. The left english will hold the 12 up a bit to allow it to hit short into the 3.

You will either make the 9 or have quite a few balls by your hole and he is in serious trouble from here.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I would hit the 12 ball firm with a center ball hit. Try to get the Q ball to freeze right on the rail while sending balls toward my hole.
Who know, maybe a ball goes in a I get to continue the run....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Does anyone think this is a viable shot? Simple execution and in all likelihood perfectly safe. All depending on the exact path of the 14 and 5 you could do some serious damage here. Of course the 3 will move towards his pocket but if it doesn't move much it doesn't hurt.

rbl.jpg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Does anyone think this is a viable shot? Simple execution and in all likelihood perfectly safe. All depending on the exact path of the 14 and 5 you could do some serious damage here. Of course the 3 will move towards his pocket but if it doesn't move much it doesn't hurt.

View attachment 14922

I like that too Dennis, but the 3 does scare me a bit and there's a chance you could hit the 1 on the way down, I am still going with my initial thought - but yours seems to line up quite well...

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I would hit the 12 ball firm with a center ball hit. Try to get the Q ball to freeze right on the rail while sending balls toward my hole.
Who know, maybe a ball goes in a I get to continue the run....

I just might kick the 12 a little firm, being confident that I would stick on the long rail and sending the 12 either underneath the 3 and over to my long rail or hitting the 3 and probably doing something good for me. Either that or Jeff's shot. The goal and final layout are similar, so it would be a question of which looked best at the table.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Here's my shot ! Unfortunately

Sells out a free bank if the speed is a little off, and doesn't put a ball on your side. If you like that path, why not leave it on the other side of the stack from where it is now?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

View attachment 14922

I like your option. Pretty simple and effective. I don't think you will get any movement on the three ball because the 14 ball will move to the left and hit the five ball fairly full. Most important is that this will get the 15 ball nicely to your side.
I don't like banking that stripe into the eleven ball because there's a chance of it striking the 11 ball on the right side and it might come back to bite you. Hitting the 11 too thin on the other side then the 11 banks back to his side. If I decide to bank that stripe I would be careful to stay away from the 11 ball.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Sells out a free bank if the speed is a little off, and doesn't put a ball on your side. If you like that path, why not leave it on the other side of the stack from where it is now?

He was just Funnin I think buddy. How often that happens! Ugh.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

View attachment 14922

I can't imagine not removing the 12 ball with this shot. 1) it removes his only real threat and 2)there is a very good chance that you make a ball and keep shooting.

I like Tucson's thought here for simplicity with a big upside. If I'm controlling whitey well that day I'm following down the rail as suggested to get behind the 9.

Usually I'm with Tucson.

keoneyo

Verified Member

View attachment 14922

I like this shot as well particularly if you can get him under the 11ball on the bottom rail. Preventing from playing safe off the ball on his side of the table.

If Im playing an opponent with not the best eyesight and has a flaw with long shots I might cross the ball on his side and bring whitey up to the top rail. Hitting the 1 and 8 combo to my hole.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
He was just Funnin I think buddy. How often that happens! Ugh.

Duh, of course. Yes, I do find miraculous/disastrous ways to get through the stack and sell out. If Rod had sketched it with a full on sellout of the 1-railer I would have recognized it as one of my go-to moves.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I can't imagine not removing the 12 ball with this shot. 1) it removes his only real threat and 2)there is a very good chance that you make a ball and keep shooting.

There are upsides to banking the 12 into other balls but what is usually not noticed by many is that the 12 is also blocking a banking lane and is also a possible future bank for you (into the stack or not). The 12 is not close enough to being a real threat until it becomes a real threat is my point. Many times I leave a ball on oppo's side rail to block banks. That strategy has served me well.

Several very good things can happen shooting the two balls on the spot with no foreseeable downside. Just my observation.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I like that too Dennis, but the 3 does scare me a bit and there's a chance you could hit the 1 on the way down, I am still going with my initial thought - but yours seems to line up quite well...

Probably not with two balls on the spot. The cueball won't go "through" them as if there were one ball on the spot.

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm playin' the 6-9 combo with a ticky off the 13 ball to the other long rail, a free shot to run out. Or the 6 ball bank 2 rails long rail , draw your cue ball....and play the ticky nearest the foot rail.