Pressure in the match

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Yes John, I was the person that was responsible in arranging the financial end of the match for The Ghost..

no wonder !! the pressure was definitely on Ghosty !!

As I mentioned before, I thought the Ghost held up well considering the bet.

Yeah Bill (not Dr. Bill), I did have an unprecedented amount of pressure to deal with in this match...

I had never played while being streamed before.

I had never played/was responsible for, $4,500 of other peoples $$$ before.

I had Dr. Billy's confidence in me to uphold.

I could definitely use the $$$ more than John..:heh - my better half was watching throughout and deciding which bill we would pay with the winnings..:eek:

And last, but yes least - I had to back up all my cocky woofing :D

All that said, I strongly disagree with Dr. Billy and anyone else who thinks that my execution of shots during the match were adversely affected by pressure, more so than were John's....I believe John and I played equally in this respect - I can't speak for John, but I think he would agree with this...and if I were to have the time and the inclination (which I don't have either) to go through all the 20 hrs. of tape to prove this assertion, I believe I could...here's just a little evidence to support my assertion...

As we all know, the most obvious/indicative place in a game or match to diagnose someone's play under pressure, is when they're shooting a fairly easy shot, that's 'not free' - i.e. with open balls on the table for the opponent to make if you miss - I did not do this in 20 hrs. of play.

Lastly, for an example of shooting under extreme pressure......at one point on Monday evening, in the next to last game of the match, after playing for 5-1/2 hours, the ball score was 6-6 - I needed two balls to win the match, and John needed two balls to force the hill-hill game, with him breaking that final game - which I sure as hell didn't want to happen...so then...

John accidentally happened to leave me a long shot (long shots not being my favorites)...and if I make it, I should get shape to win the match, if I miss it, I probably lose the game and go to hill-hill.....well, I say **** you to the pressure and make the shot...but I get one of my several late-match bad rolls, and wind up with the cueball in 'tweener' position between my two match-winning balls - if the cueball ends up 2" lower I have a simple cut shot to win the match, and if the cueball ends up 2" higher I have a decent cut shot to win the match, ..:frus...:mad:...:mad:

Here's a screen shot of that impending shot, and a link to the video - the shot happens at 24:35 in the video ------>

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjLqOXStcQE[/ame]

- Ghost

Attachments

• A SHOT.jpg
    A SHOT.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Wow...

Wow...

You stalled again after making the spot shot. Twice you took exaggerated pauses in action before you pulled the trigger on your game winning shot. I'm curious...WHY? Especially the last game where you had a very comfortable shot at winning.

This shot at 24:35...why not bank it twice and snap draw the white ball up table?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
You stalled again after making the spot shot. Twice you took exaggerated pauses in action before you pulled the trigger on your game winning shot. I'm curious...WHY? Especially the last game where you had a very comfortable shot at winning.

This shot at 24:35...why not bank it twice and snap draw the white ball up table?

The two rail bank off the long rail from that position is a stiff the way the table was playing. At best it is coming straight back and may actually reverse a little depending on how hard you hit it.

I think he shot the right shot (Not because the outcome won me the game), but he did not stay with the shot and came off it a little. Kind of like me and spot shots.:D

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Who are you the stall police?

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
The two rail bank off the long rail from that position is a stiff the way the table was playing. At best it is coming straight back and may actually reverse a little depending on how hard you hit it.

I think he shot the right shot (Not because the outcome won me the game), but he did not stay with the shot and came off it a little. Kind of like me and spot shots.:D

True. The path the cueball took after contact suggests this.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Who are you the stall police?

Fresh out of the academy...

I'm curious as to why it happened twice? Did he have to take a nervous shit? Did he have an important phone call? Twice he took an exaggerated amount of time to execute his match winning shot and TWICE it was poorly executed.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I didn't see that game but John made a great position shot off the 9 ball, with all the pressure being on John ,he showed the heart of a champion.The reason I said this is because making the 9 ball is simple but the control of the cue ball is very tough,great touch under the circumstances. Great Match

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
The shot you made at the 24:35 mark was a great shot, what % of success did you calculate before deciding to shoot it?

Secondly, on the very next shot (the very thin cut to your hole), how often would you make that shot, and more importantly did you consider that your CB would have to miss the side pocket, not scratch in the far corner pocket, and would have to travel two lengths of the table back into the midst of the remaining two balls, if you missed?

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
You stalled again after making the spot shot. Twice you took exaggerated pauses in action before you pulled the trigger on your game winning shot. I'm curious...WHY? Especially the last game where you had a very comfortable shot at winning

I'm curious as to why it happened twice? Did he have to take a nervous shit? Did he have an important phone call? Twice he took an exaggerated amount of time to execute his match winning shot and TWICE it was poorly executed.

Dear Mr Fresh out of the academy :)

most of your answers may be in post #1

maybe not if he had to use the men's room but relevant answers none the less

give him a break will ya :eek: Luke says he's not accustomed playing $4500 matches ... with other's cash ... under the lights ... with the better half next to him already writing checks :) No pressure?? I think under the circumstances I can understand why he may have 'stalled' a time or two

just curious 1on1. with a name such as yours along with self admission - are you accustomed to $4500 matches? I'm not, Luke isn't. Can you run with the big dogs or does 1on1 stay on the porch? :)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Fresh out of the academy...

Cheese it! He's a cop. The pressure made me do it officer. I'll never do it again.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
just curious 1on1. with a name such as yours along with self admission - are you accustomed to $4500 matches? I'm not, Luke isn't. Can you run with the big dogs or does 1on1 stay on the porch? :)

My most recent big dog running was 2500 per game on a bar table.

I'm not trying to be hard on the Ghost. He's a nice fella. I'm just curious as to WHY? It is like he actually jarred himself with the stall. The reverse jar or something. Curious if in that spot again he does the same?

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
My most recent big dog running was 2500 per game on a bar table.

I'm not trying to be hard on the Ghost. He's a nice fella. I'm just curious as to WHY? It is like he actually jarred himself with the stall. The reverse jar or something. Curious if in that spot again he does the same?

I thinks $2500 a game would suffice as a big dog :eek:

certainly a bigger dog than me. I prefer 50 cents a game 1P winner pays the time, and I will stall

where you located 1on1? I'm the DC area. You up for my kind of stakes !!!

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
I thinks $2500 a game would suffice as a big dog :eek:

certainly a bigger dog than me. I prefer 50 cents a game 1P winner pays the time, and I will stall

where you located 1on1? I'm the DC area. You up for my kind of stakes !!!

In the middle of a cornfield where there is NO ACTION!

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
... what are you trying to say 1on1? you're not interested? ...

pm me 1on1

I don't know your speed. I like to gamble but don't like all the bull shit that goes on with it. The guy I played 2500/game we have gambled several times over the past 10 years. We are actually gambling "friends" if there is such a thing.

I just played for the first time in 3 months and it felt GREAT!:)