Players, Hustlers,Stakehorses and others

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Grady also spent some time in the Carney world when he was young. This is the part of my interview with Grady dealing with his experience in the Carnival:
Shreveport was our last stop of the year with Royal American Show. They had there own Train moving across country. I wonder what carnival Grady worked for.The real flat stories where the Pin store the Blower and the razzle. The red circle game they used 3 white circles.You had to cover the red circle so no red would show. That.s how you would win. But there was always a little red showing. And when the agent showed you howto do it no red would show on the red circle. Grady could have gotten different jobs in the carnival. He could have been a set up and tear down guy. With the boots. He could have Been a ride Jokey. Or a guy who runs the rides.
Sells tickets. He could have sold all kinds of shorts food. He could have been a Barker. He talks people into coming into the freak shoe. To see the tallest man in the world The Legator lady The tattoo lady who had her whole body covered with Tatoos.The had a man who had no hands. That eat played cards smoked and did all kinds of things all with his feet.They even had a two headed babies with one body. That was hard and cruel too look at. But that was the carnival. [90% of the carnivals are on the square}And there are lots of square jobs people can get. If you don't come recommended you cant even get a job. In a flat store. You might get a job working a hankie panky joint. And you have to have at least one year of training to work in a flat store. It takes a very talented person to work a flat store. And nobody is going to hire you if you do not no how to talk and how the game is played. Its like going to college. You have to get your degree. Now you have a little more information about carnivals. And they are not like Las Vegas. They don't beat blind crippled women or kids. They only look for rich men and papies with money. Who are also very smart. Because the smarter they are and the better they understand. The better a Mark they will be. That's the flat stories. stories.That finaly got closed up by the FBI. After taking 50 years to learn what it was and how it worked. And they still might be sneaking there games around. The FBI gives all the criminals time. Before they make there move. Because they don't teach them and they don't train them wright. And all they no are there laws. They memorized. But they don't no anything about what the criminals are doing. And they do what they are told. Even if the person is innocent or guilty. It doesn't cost them a dime. If I would ever print what FBI stands for. You would laugh forever. And you would never forget it.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Larry-- I didn't move to Dixie until 2000, so I never got to see Heisler play. The word I got on him from some old timers was that he was extremely difficult to beat at the Sports Palace.

He played lots of road guys, but if they weren't from the South, they couldn't adjust to his high proficiency on those wet tables-- especially at the Sports Palace-- what with the swamp cooler running, and the shrimp boil cooking...;)

Reportedly he was two balls below the top 1P players, but he didn't book too many losers.

~Doc
I went through New Orleans around 1973 with Jim Fusco and Pittsburgh John. Fusco gave Heisler 10 to 8 and beat him. Heisler was a gentlemen to play with..never said two words just liked to play, pales in comparison to years ago. he stroked the ball for a long time before shooting and was tough to play because he played so slow. Fusco didn't mind, he was a grind out player and Heislers style didn't bother him at all. We went through Mobile before going to New Orleans and I gave Cleo Vaughn the 8 and 9 and beat him easily, I was playing some of the best 9ball in the country winning the Johnston City 9ball division prior to going there. Cleo didn't realize that I won the tournament until he was told later..after we played. No cell phones or computers back then to wise people up. Actually that's probably the biggest reasons why the action today pales in comparison to back then.

I believe players like Kelly and Ronnie played Heisler 10 to 8 as well, SJD or maybe even Rodney may be better equipped to tell that story. Any ways playing at the Palace under those conditions wasn't a picnic for any player.

I also stopped in I believe it was Houston and played Craig Stevens he gave me the 7ball playing 9ball and I won easily. Craig played poorly I believe I caught him on one of his binges after he was up for about three or four days. He also didn't know who I was when we played, not that he would of cared anyways.:lol

Pool was fun back then, action was a plenty and times were good. Now all I can do is occasionally talk about it.:D Thanks for listening.

Bill Incardona

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Taylor said he gave him 8 to 7 and the game was very tough.
Rod.
That's pretty high praise, coming from E. Taylor. My guess is that he was referring to playing Heisler in New Orleans.;)

~Doc

P.S. Ironically I'm writing this from Houston! Just making a quick trip, and heading back to Gulfport later this A.M. Hopefully next visit I can give you a call to get together.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bill, doc ,rod,billy I. thanks for your stories about earl.
rod i havent forgotten you talking about earl in the past
i appreciate it.
:)
larry

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Thanks for the stories Billy. I spoke with Jimmy Fusco last week. I texted him the picture that was recently posted here with Freddy and that whole group of killers and he called to say that he loved it. He is a super nice guy, like you seem to be. I'm sure it wasn't always that way haha! Any other good Flash stories?

I went through New Orleans around 1973 with Jim Fusco and Pittsburgh John. Fusco gave Heisler 10 to 8 and beat him. Heisler was a gentlemen to play with..never said two words just liked to play, pales in comparison to years ago. he stroked the ball for a long time before shooting and was tough to play because he played so slow. Fusco didn't mind, he was a grind out player and Heislers style didn't bother him at all. We went through Mobile before going to New Orleans and I gave Cleo Vaughn the 8 and 9 and beat him easily, I was playing some of the best 9ball in the country winning the Johnston City 9ball division prior to going there. Cleo didn't realize that I won the tournament until he was told later..after we played. No cell phones or computers back then to wise people up. Actually that's probably the biggest reasons why the action today pales in comparison to back then.

I believe players like Kelly and Ronnie played Heisler 10 to 8 as well, SJD or maybe even Rodney may be better equipped to tell that story. Any ways playing at the Palace under those conditions wasn't a picnic for any player.

I also stopped in I believe it was Houston and played Craig Stevens he gave me the 7ball playing 9ball and I won easily. Craig played poorly I believe I caught him on one of his binges after he was up for about three or four days. He also didn't know who I was when we played, not that he would of cared anyways.:lol

Pool was fun back then, action was a plenty and times were good. Now all I can do is occasionally talk about it.:D Thanks for listening.

Bill Incardona

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I'll write a story about Billy Incardona that happened over 50 years ago. Later today or tonight.I'm sure Nine Ball Billy will remember.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I'll write a story about Billy Incardona that happened over 50 years ago. Later today or tonight.I'm sure Nine Ball Billy will remember.

I was about 18 or 19 Billy was a year younger than me.This happened in the early 60'S. I just came back from Pimlico Racetrack dead busted, went to the Poolroom,Bennies on Belvedere and Reisterstown Rd. in Baltimore There is a kid practicing by himself in the back of the Poolroom, he comes up front and plays 2 decent players 9 ball and wins about 90 dollars. The next thing he does is asked me to play and I told him I was broke but I know where there is big action but I wanted to know how good he played and he told me he could beat anybody in Baltimore. He was with another guy who drove a white Chevy convertible, so I told him to play some cheap 9ball until Larry Sapia comes in. When Larry comes in I give him the sign to ask him to play. Larry's brother was a B.M. and Larry says he will play when his brother comes in for $50 a game of 9ball. Next thing about 2 minutes later here comes his brother,game on. In Baltimore you had to be 21 to play pool after 11pm. they told us we had to go but a guy Named Harry Levin says we can play at his house, Harry came from Chicago was a loan shark and loved action. Billy busted Larry's brother, the score was $2,800.00 my end was 25% which Billy gave me $700.00 a real good score in the 60'S.I didn't see Billy for over 40 years after the score.He told me he did remember it. NineBallBilly he was known as.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Billy I. what I want to hear, correct me if I'm wrong. Weren't you at Janscos when it was raided 1970?, and what amount did you put in the manila envelope with your name on it? :eek:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy I. what I want to hear, correct me if I'm wrong. Weren't you at Janscos when it was raided 1970?, and what amount did you put in the manila envelope with your name on it? :eek:

Yes I was there Bill, it was one of the most interesting funniest times of the Johnston City era.

The FBI was casing the joint (Show Bar) it was under investigation for ..gambling over state line. The Show Bar was the venue where the tournament was being held a little Bar in the middle of no where sitting right off the interstate. The Jansco brothers were the real people they were after, Paul and George for housing a gambling establishment and luring players from across state line :lol what a joke that was..Well they finally raided the place in the middle of the tournament and arrested a slew of players, players like Eddie Kelly..Cole Dickson..Jersey Red..Boston Shorty, and a player called "Jingles" our own pool player attorney:lol and many more. They were also looking for more players that seemed to avoided the raid, players like myself, Ronnie Allen, and a few more that were under investigation.

Just a few days after the raid they held court and put the players on the stand to question them about the alleged gambling that was going on, just about everyone took the 5th except Boston Shorty and Fats. Shorty was on the stand and was asked questions and he replied 'I ain't sayin nuttin" and that was it with him. Fats voluntarily took the stand and was up there for over an hour "ripping" the prosecution telling them that it was a joke to come into Johnston City to arrest a bunch of broke pool players and why aren't they goin to the golf course and arrest all those politicians that are playing for big money instead of goin to a pool tournament. Fats went on and on and had the whole court room laughing, like I said he was up thre for over an hour..should of been recorded it would of been a classic.

After that most of the pool players had problems with the IRS which was also a joke, and had to explain how they came about owning their cars and whatever other assets they owned. Well, everything disappeared in time and I guess you can say.."all that ends well is well"

This story may be a little off, but not by much there are other guys still living that probably would have a better account of how it really went down, I have a problem remembering things that long ago.:sorry Maybe Danny Diliberto, or Ed Kelly, or for certain "Jingles" if anyone can get a hold of him. Lenny is his first name I forget his last name..you know..my memory.:D

Bill Incardona

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
My second BIG score in 3 Cushion

My second BIG score in 3 Cushion

While guys are reminiscing, I'll share a story about my second biggest score in 3C. In 1970 a friend of mine, Nicky and I decided to go West, Nicky was a VERY good "short card" player, and I handled pool in the right spots and the 3C. One of the last stops before we got to the West coast was, Denver. We stayed off of Colfax Ave., and across from the Capital building was a billiard room, with 2 3C tables and about 20 pool tables.

It was early in the morning; I always would to get to a room early before any of the regulars, so I could practice without getting "eye-balled". When players started coming in a round noon, I quit, and just sat around the 3c table to clock players. A couple hours later, the room started to get a little action in it on the pool tables. By that time a guy asked me to play some $50.00 a game 15 points, so I'm involved in a game and Nicky is in the middle of some action on a table in the opposite corner of the room, but, I could tell but I knew it wasn't pool.

A big loud black guy, Nicky and 3 or 4 other white guys were gambling on something. After about 30 minutes, I'm almost done with the billiard bird and Nicky comes over to asked me for some cheese, "Give me two hundred Billy," I asked, "For What," He says, "We're gambling with the black guy on the 3 cards." I yelled, "Are you f***ing crazy," "You're done!" So I finished the billiard game, and went to sweat the, “ Three Card Monty.” So, naturally the black guy tries to get me involved, along with the two young white “Cap Men” he had down with it. I said, “NO” and “He’s done too!”

Now, by this time, I’m steaming, Nicky had blowed $800.00 of our $2,500.00 bankroll. This is the first, and may I add the last time I took the heat like a sucker. The guys keeps asking and egging me on, finally I say, “I’ll play you some of that,” pointing to the 3C table. He shouts, “Nobody plays that but old men, and they don’t bet nothing!” I reply, “I don’t care how old or young they are I’ll play,” and I'll play for what Nicky lost to you, now go find someone!” He says, “You that good boy, maybe we can make some money with you.”

No cell phones back then, the guy goes to the payphone and comes back and says, “You got a game,” “OK,” at another poolroom, Colfax Billiards. So, we follow the “Monty” crew to the room, now, I really know what’s going on, these three are “Double steering” us in this spot. The guy their going to have me play had NEVER been beaten playing 3C before. Meanwhile, I already about knew the guy they were having me play. He was the BIGGEST “bookmaker” in the Denver area, his name was “Pic” short for an Italian name they couldn’t pronounce. The guy I had been given the 411 on before we started out on the trip. Our bankroll now was $1,700.00, We agreed to play 15 points for a $1,000.00, Nicky bet $300.00 on the side, we found out later it was the, “Monty crew” that bet the 3 bills. After about 10 minutes, I can see just how the guy plays, a cake walk! I let him get close, 15-12. Next game, the guy bets $2,000.00, I wasn’t sure why, but we did and Nicky bet $600.00 on the side this time. I beat him this time 15-11, He quit, He just quit! I said, “Make a game,” “I can’t I’m broke.” I was astonished, he said, “maybe some other time.” He said, “Thanks for the game,” You play good for a kid,” and walked out the door. Got a REAL bad break with this score, the "BM" had just lost $150.000.00 on the sports that week. After Nicky had blown that money, I could see He wasn’t sharp enough to be with me on the road, I gave him back what He’d lost and 50% of the money we had won so far. Then He drove back to Chi-Town!

When the smoke cleared a couple days later, the “Monty crew”, by the way, the black guys name was, Harold Densen. After that first meeting of ours we would become very close partners and friends until his untimely death in 1991. Harold and his crew came over to ask me, “You hanging around town for awhile?” “I don’t know, is the action here better than this?” “We have a spot to take you to, and you’ll win as much as you can carry, if you do it the right way.”

The crew takes me up to, Billings Montana. At that time there was a chain of poolrooms around called, “Corner Pocket Billiards,” owned by, “One Eye George” George Franks, pretty fair player/hustler in his day. The guy Harold was steering me to into was a guy they called, “Smitto” he was about 40 years old then. One of the cap men for Harold was a pretty good pool player, Denny Port. He had played Smitto already 6 ball, $20.00 a ball. Denny already beat him a couple of times for about $2,000.00, one of the sessions went on till the room closed, and Smitto invited them to come to his house to play, He had this huge home built into the side of a mountain. In his basement, He had a ping pong table, 4.5x9 GC and a GC 3C billiard table, plus a beautiful bar, with part of the mountain as the back wall. When they got there, Smitto says, “I’ll play you some of this,” pointing to the 3C table. Denny played 1 game, 10 points and quit.

When I went to the “Corner Pocket,” I went in by myself, I knew what day, (Friday night), and time, about 10:00 pm that Smitto came in every week, also the table He liked to play on, right in front of the counter. I was on it already hitting balls in 8 ball, He came in and saw someone on his table, and asked me, “you just practicing, or would you like to play some?” “Ok, what do you want to play?” He said,”6 ball,” I told him, “I never played 6 ball, is it like 9 ball?” “Yes. But faster, since we don’t’ have much time to play.” So, we decided to play for $10.00 a ball, pay after every game, I’m the stranger! We raised the bet to, $20.00 after about an hour, about 12:30 am, they started to clean up the poolroom. When we quit, I was about $850.00 winner, and could still see he still had a knot that would choke a horse on him. So, I asked, “Is there was any bar or room that stays open to continue playing, since you’re stuck,” “I have a couple of tables at my house, we can play there.” I looked at him sort of funny, and he said, “Don’t worry everyone knows me around the state!” He looked towards George for the nod, George speaks right up and says, “Are you kidding, this guy’s as good as gold, He’s the biggest electrical contractor in the state of Montana!”

I follow him to his home, a mansion, just beautiful! WE go down to the basement, I already knew what to expect! Pool table, billiard and ping pong table. He says, “I don’t think I can beat you playing pool, I’ll play you some 3 cushion.” I reply, “Are you kidding me, I don’t know the first thing about that, “old man’s” game!” “Besides, I don’t even know all the rules!“ “If you don’t want to play some more 6 ball, I’m leaving!” He says, “Hit some balls on the table, maybe I’ll make a game with you.” I stalled with the “open hand” bridge, like in the pool game. After a dozen shots, the guy was convinced I couldn’t play a lick. He says, ”I’ll give you 2 points going to 10,” “no way, I need 5 and the break!” We agree on, just 5 points on 10, for $300.00 a game pay after every game. We jockey back and forth for the first few games, He’s one game winner and asked to raise the bet to, $500.00, I said, “OK, this billiards takes too long anyway!”

By 4:00 am in the morning, We’re playing for a $1,000.00 a game and I’m only getting 2 on 10, and I’m about , $9,000.00 winners, after another 5 games, he runs out of cash in his pocket, but, still wants to keep playing. He tells me, he has more money in the safe, and gets another $10.000.00 out!
Now the Sun’s coming up outside, it’s about, 7:00am,and it’s Saturday, and He’s lost the other 10 dimes, but He’s steaming now, he can’t quit, and by now , I’m only getting the break going to 10 points. I’m about, $20.000.00 winners and the guy wont’ quit, I F***en couldn’t believe it! He’s out of cash, but, still wants to play, He says, “If I lose, I’ll write a check for it, my checks are good as GOLD!” I said, “listen Smitto, we been playing for 9 straight hours, I’m not use to this, we have to set a time limit.” I’ll tell you what I’ll do, since you’re stuck, I’ll play some till 9:00 am, (when the banks on Saturday), and We’ll play even for $3,000.00 a game, this way you may have a chance to win some money back!” He says, “OK, that’s fair enough.”

Well, 8:30 rolls along and He’s stuck another, $21,000.00! I say, “Smitto, I’m exhausted, let’s quit, you’re not going to get your money back this way, He adamantly says, “NO, give me 2 points and We’ll play till 9 am, I promise. Meanwhile, what I didn’t realize is that, Smitto, every time he went to get a drink, He was popping, “Benny’s,” and just couldn’t stop! Need I elaborate on the final outcome, Smitto lost, a check for $30.000.00 on top of the, $19,000.00 in cash!

He writes out the check, and it dawns on me, it’s Saturday, the inside bank most likely won’t be open. Now, I’m a little worried, I ask Smitto, “Is the inside bank open today, it’s Saturday?” He says, “NO,” ONLY the drive-thru.” Now, I thought to myself, “they’re NOT going to cash this BIG check at the drive-thru window, NO way!” I knew if I waited till Monday, someone would wake him up when he came off the pills. I said again, “Smitto, are you sure they’ll cash it at the drive-thru!” “I’m going to call them right now.” He did, I left and went to the bank, put my ID and check in the tube and sent it away. A few minutes later teller says, “Mr. Smith,” I said to myself, “Here we go, He stopped the check already.” “Do you have another form of ID?” I sent in my SS card, 5 minutes later here comes one tube with my ID’s and a stack of hundreds and then another tube with a stack of hundreds and a, “Thank you!” I met up with Harold at the Hotel, we cut up the money, went sleep, woke up, got a couple of chicks and partied! Harold and I went on the road together for 25 years.

A funny ending to this story, years later, when I more or less stopped going around the country hustling, I was playing in a huge international 3C tournament in NYC. At Abel Caulderon’s room in Queens, first time I met Sang Lee, he finished second. I had just finished playing the Belgian Champion at the time, Marin Spoormans, I won the game and had the high run of the tournament 16. After the match, a tall lanky older guy with a not so good grey-haired rug, but, with a gorgeous young blonde on his arm. He says to me, “good to see you again after all these years, “ “can you sign my program?” I ask, “What’s your name?” He says, “make it out to Paul,” you want your last name too.” “Instead, just make it out to, “Smitto!” I take a closer look at the guy and yell out, “SMITTO!” Didn’t recognize him with the rug, we laughed together about the past. He parting words to me were, “You taught me a VERY valuable lesson, that I was only a BIG fish in a LITTLE pond!” “And, I can see you certainly know this game, good luck in the FINALS!”

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Larry,

I never played Earl but I was in with Taylor when he played Earl. Earl could really play but had no game with Taylor. He did bet though.

New York Blackie I forget about. I ran into him several times but he never wanted to play. Last time I saw him was at the Stardust tournament in Vegas. I forget the name of the woman he was always with. Blackie had a strange style of play.

Is he gone too?

Bill S.

When I played him, I'm pretty sure that the woman that was with him was Betty. Pretty sure of that. I don't recall her last name. He was with her for a good while.
To describe her a bit she was average height but very very slim.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Betty

Betty

When I played him, I'm pretty sure that the woman that was with him was Betty. Pretty sure of that. I don't recall her last name. He was with her for a good while.
To describe her a bit she was average height but very very slim.

I think Betty was a Monterey Park girl and a waitress at the Fairway. My mom used to play the piano there and Betty, her brother Stan (I think) and parents, we're old family friends. I lived about two blocks from there.

I tried to sneak Blackie in a bar joint once and he could not stall with that sneer on his face and that big stroke, drawing the big rock all over the table. There were quarters up and down both rails and they raced to pull them off after Blackie ran a rack.

keoneyo

Verified Member

Bill Incardona

Great story Dr Bill. I just talked with my buddy Johnny Hennigan who was called Cornflakes at Fuscos room in Philly. He just won $1.5 million at the World Series of Poker in the Players Championship and a week before took down $320K taking second in another event. He stopped playing pool when their were other lucrative markets.
Though he did come into our room, The House of Billiards in Santa Monica, when I told him Efren was coming in. He tells Efren in front of the Philipino contingent, respectfully. He says to Efren-Ill play you one ball you give me 2 holes you got one. You got the corner and I get the other corner and the side hole. Efren says no way. John then says ok Ill take the corner and you get 2 holes but you got to give me odds on the money. No one in the contingent says ok. Efren just shakes his head.
John unravels his cue and walks out to go back to the poker room which I guess is where all the action now is.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Great story Dr Bill. I just talked with my buddy Johnny Hennigan who was called Cornflakes at Fuscos room in Philly. He just won $1.5 million at the World Series of Poker in the Players Championship and a week before took down $320K taking second in another event. He stopped playing pool when their were other lucrative markets.

Though he did come into our room, The House of Billiards in Santa Monica, when I told him Efren was coming in. He tells Efren in front of the Philipino contingent, respectfully. He says to Efren-Ill play you one ball you give me 2 holes you got one. You got the corner and I get the other corner and the side hole. Efren says no way. John then says ok Ill take the corner and you get 2 holes but you got to give me odds on the money. No one in the contingent says ok. Efren just shakes his head.

John unravels his cue and walks out to go back to the poker room which I guess is where all the action now is.

I never met him but the name cornflakes is still pretty legendary around Fuscos FYI.

bstroud

Verified Member
I think Betty was a Monterey Park girl and a waitress at the Fairway. My mom used to play the piano there and Betty, her brother Stan (I think) and parents, we're old family friends. I lived about two blocks from there.

I tried to sneak Blackie in a bar joint once and he could not stall with that sneer on his face and that big stroke, drawing the big rock all over the table. There were quarters up and down both rails and they raced to pull them off after Blackie ran a rack.

John,

That's why they called him NY Blackie. He loved to put that stroke down.

He would be lost trying to control the rock today.

I have spent most of the last year changing my stroke to more back and straight through.

Who thought when I started to play one pocket that it would end up being more like snooker.

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
John,

That's why they called him NY Blackie. He loved to put that stroke down.

He would be lost trying to control the rock today.

I have spent most of the last year changing my stroke to more back and straight through.

Who thought when I started to play one pocket that it would end up being more like snooker.

Bill S.

Bill S., The "Modern Day" game of 3 Cushion and snooker enjoy many similarities when I t comes to the fundamentals, especially the, "Stroke." With the enhanced rubber, cloth and cues not much need for, "upper-arm" movement until the finish on certain shots. ALL cue-games are now, ALL about total control over the CB, speed and spin can be achieved with a minimum of effort, hence, more accuracy! IMHO!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... A funny ending to this story, years later, when I more or less stopped going around the country hustling, I was playing in a huge international 3C tournament in NYC. At Abel Caulderon’s room in Queens, first time I met Sang Lee, he finished second. I had just finished playing the Belgian Champion at the time, Marin Spoormans, I won the game and had the high run of the tournament 16. After the match, a tall lanky older guy with a not so good grey-haired rug, but, with a gorgeous young blonde on his arm. He says to me, “good to see you again after all these years, “ “can you sign my program?” I ask, “What’s your name?” He says, “make it out to Paul,” you want your last name too.” “Instead, just make it out to, “Smitto!” I take a closer look at the guy and yell out, “SMITTO!” Didn’t recognize him with the rug, we laughed together about the past. He parting words to me were, “You taught me a VERY valuable lesson, that I was only a BIG fish in a LITTLE pond!” “And, I can see you certainly know this game, good luck in the FINALS!”
Great story Bill, and an even better payday!

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
back in the early 1970's billings had great action. few came to take it off. at george franks pool room you could always find someone to beat out of a lot of money if you laid it down right.
300 a game starting out wasnt too much to ask for. i might have been the one to get them started on 6 ball as nine ball took too long to win big scores and you had to waste too much time by keep missing the first five balls anyway so i would only play 6 ball and they liked it as you always had a shot it seemed..
they also played cards downtown and gin rummy and winning and losing over 100 grand in a night wasnt too unusual for a few people. you had to be known and play on the tab for the big amounts which kept it to regulars.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
back in the early 1970's billings had great action. few came to take it off. at george franks pool room you could always find someone to beat out of a lot of money if you laid it down right.
300 a game starting out wasnt too much to ask for. i might have been the one to get them started on 6 ball as nine ball took too long to win big scores and you had to waste too much time by keep missing the first five balls anyway so i would only play 6 ball and they liked it as you always had a shot it seemed..
they also played cards downtown and gin rummy and winning and losing over 100 grand in a night wasnt too unusual for a few people. you had to be known and play on the tab for the big amounts which kept it to regulars.

Beatle; I will have to say Billings was good to me! We also went to Missoula, they had a huge bar there, I think it was called, "The Thirsty Whale." They had about 10 or 12 bar tables, and plenty of young dope dealers looking to go off at something, usually, the "Red Card!"

Denny, Harold and I went back to Billings a couple years later, we had heard about the "High Stakes" poker game from a steer-man. Was tough to get in, luckily the steer-man didn't play well, was one of the suckers in the game this made getting to play a little easier, "you know birds of a feather..." We did OK, but not what it should of been, the one thing that does stick out ion my mind about this particular poker game. Every player at the table except Denny and I, had a pistol out on the table, NO shit! Right out on the table!

Have not ben back since the 70's would like to take a vacation trip there, beautiful country and sky up there.