kicking to the top of the ball

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Does anybody here have a system for kicking off the end rail from the wrong side of the rack and hitting the top of a ball close to his pocket on the side rail? This shot comes up all the time and good players scare their pocket with this shot every time. What is the system?

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
When I shoot that shot I make sure I really spin the CB off the bottom rail. But you really have to be careful because with the thin hit the CB goes like hell.---Smitty

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
When I shoot that shot I make sure I really spin the CB off the bottom rail. But you really have to be careful because with the thin hit the CB goes like hell.---Smitty

I think the spin will dictate that you pick a different point on the first rail to hit. I've heard that you go 1-1/2 ball widths short of the spot that your kicking system tells you to and then spin it up.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Only system I've ever seen that was worth a s ---t. :frus:lol John B.

Like most aspects of pool, you can get there with either lots of trial and error or you can short-circuit that process and start with a system. Kicking is one of those things where you will get better faster with some knowledge at the outset.

baby huey

Verified Member
You got to spend time practicing these shots and if possible on the table you are playing on. The one and three rail kicks come up all the time and you need to have some measure of confidence when shooting these shots. A friend whom I play with all the time seems to have these shots down and when executed can turn the entire game around.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Like most aspects of pool, you can get there with either lots of trial and error or you can short-circuit that process and start with a system. Kicking is one of those things where you will get better faster with some knowledge at the outset.

Ok, whatever you think buddy:) John B.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Ok, whatever you think buddy:) John B.

Let us say what has perhaps gone unspoken with these little exchanges, John: You typify the "instinct" players as much as anyone alive. Accordingly, I will take your seasoned comments in that spirit.

Without an understanding of basic physics and geometry, you are straight fukked in bank pool. You might not *know* you are using them, Best Banker in the Galaxy, but you are. Similarly, show me a good three-cushion player (other than Bill Smith) and I will show you a person with a head chock full of kicking systems.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Let us say what has perhaps gone unspoken with little exchanges, John: You typify the "instinct" players as much as anyone alive. Accordingly, I will take your seasoned comments in that spirit.

Without an understanding of basic physics and geometry, you are straight fukked in bank pool. You might not *know* you are using them, Best Banker in the Galaxy, but you are. Similarly, show me a good three-cushion player (other than Bill Smith) and I will show you a person with a head chock full of kicking systems.

dan
fyi
I have had several hours of conversations regarding 3C in general with bill smith and much of it pertaining to systems! I’m 100% assured in my mind He knows MORE than anyone here and as much as any 3C player about the games systems.

He’s extremely generous with His knowledge, and explains His systems and other's systems in definite detail. He has around 20 systems of His own He created over 35 years ago and another 30-50 of other TOP players from around the World.

The one thing I will mention, is He has stated to me MANY times is, “You must know how to ascertain how that particular table is playing and to know correctly how to adjust a system to every table to play on beforehand!”

John Brumback

Verified Member
Let us say what has perhaps gone unspoken with these little exchanges, John: You typify the "instinct" players as much as anyone alive. Accordingly, I will take your seasoned comments in that spirit.

Without an understanding of basic physics and geometry, you are straight fukked in bank pool. You might not *know* you are using them, Best Banker in the Galaxy, but you are. Similarly, show me a good three-cushion player (other than Bill Smith) and I will show you a person with a head chock full of kicking systems.[/QUOTE

:sorry Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I really do like how you word things:)

If I may....serious question too.....what is the diff between a method and a system? I like to think I use "methods" ( for the shot at hand) and most others use systems for the shot at hand?????. Sorry for going off topic. John B.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

Without an understanding of basic physics and geometry, you are straight fukked in bank pool. You might not *know* you are using them, Best Banker in the Galaxy, but you are. Similarly, show me a good three-cushion player (other than Bill Smith) and I will show you a person with a head chock full of kicking systems.[/QUOTE

:sorry Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I really do like how you word things:)

If I may....serious question too.....what is the diff between a method and a system? I like to think I use "methods" ( for the shot at hand) and most others use systems for the shot at hand?????. Sorry for going off topic. John B.

You didn't ruffle my feathers at all. I just wanted to point out that to hear you talk, you appear to me to come from the instinct or trial and error side of the continuum, and that I will wager that most new players shorten their learning curve with kicking systems. Hell, just knowing the Corner Five system will help you out tremendously.

Difference between a method and a system? Dunno, depends on exactly what your method is, I suppose. Perhaps you can tell me all your secrets and then I can make a ruling;)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

john in the members section mr3c made this distinction (paraphrased)
systems use numeric formulas and calculations
methods are from trial and error and practice

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
.....what is the diff between a method and a system? I like to think I use "methods" ( for the shot at hand) and most others use systems for the shot at hand???

My $.02:

If you're thinking "To get this 3-railer to come off really long I need it to come off the 3rd rail here, so I need to hit the first rail here with a little bit of runnng, to hit the 2nd rail there," that's a method (mostly feel and experience rather than calculation to find the places on the rail that look right.)

If you're thinking "This diamond to this diamond will equal that diamond on the second rail and from that diamond to that diamond= first diamond on that rail, so I need to aim just inside that diamond with center ball," that's a system (using pre-existing target points on the rails and adjusting off of them.)

My guess is that you only use a diamond to help establish an exact first-rail aim point after you've figured out what looks right for where you need to hit each other rail to come off the last rail toward your target (straightback's "instinct" method.)

Edit: ah, now I see petie said it simpler. (I had all these damn words layin' around and I had to put 'em somewhere.) :p

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
My $.02:

If you're thinking "To get this 3-railer to come off really long I need it to come off the 3rd rail here, so I need to hit the first rail here with a little bit of runnng, to hit the 2nd rail there," that's a method (mostly feel and experience rather than calculation to find the places on the rail that look right.)

If you're thinking "This diamond to this diamond will equal that diamond on the second rail and from that diamond to that diamond= first diamond on that rail, so I need to aim just inside that diamond with center ball," that's a system (using pre-existing target points on the rails and adjusting off of them.)

My guess is that you only use a diamond to help establish an exact first-rail aim point after you've figured out what looks right for where you need to hit each other rail to come off the last rail toward your target (straightback's "instinct" method.)

Edit: ah, now I see petie said it simpler. (I had all these damn words layin' around and I had to put 'em somewhere.) :p

I understand all of that and it even makes sense:p

Only one problem though...I have never in my life used a diamond to help me with a pool shot:eek::lol John B.