Senior Classic updated flyer

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
The sidewinder stroke.
That's why I thought Greenleaf was Hoppe. Also, several of the really old great players from the past stood tall ( head high ) when shooting. Irving Crane, Joe Balsis, Cowboy Jimmie Moore, and several others, all stood with heads high. I always wondered about that, even tried it with absolutely zero success, couldn't see where I was aiming. Not many used that sidewinder stroke though.

One of the good younger players ( during my days of playing) that used the modified sidewinder stroke was Keith McCready, and to my recollection, he also stood a little taller when shooting.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good points, Jeff. I'll guess most of the sidewinders learned that position as boys. I know that both Hoppe and Keith started playing as very young lads, and they weren't tall enough to stand over the table and take a normal arm position. Therefore they had to raise their arms out to the side. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with Greenleaf and the others as well.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The sidewinder stroke.
That's why I thought Greenleaf was Hoppe. Also, several of the really old great players from the past stood tall ( head high ) when shooting. Irving Crane, Joe Balsis, Cowboy Jimmie Moore, and several others, all stood with heads high. I always wondered about that, even tried it with absolutely zero success, couldn't see where I was aiming. Not many used that sidewinder stroke though.

One of the good younger players ( during my days of playing) that used the modified sidewinder stroke was Keith McCready, and to my recollection, he also stood a little taller when shooting.

Good points, Jeff. I'll guess most of the sidewinders learned that position as boys. I know that both Hoppe and Keith started playing as very young lads, and they weren't tall enough to stand over the table and take a normal arm position. Therefore they had to raise their arms out to the side. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with Greenleaf and the others as well.

~Doc

Dead right Doc,
I played a guy in Refugio tx, he had a bar table up on blocks. We both had to shoot side arm, once I turned around and held my palm facing the floor I did a little better, but not good enough. :)

He said he had played that way as a boy, and since it was his joint, why not.

Jeff omitted Fats and probably the best ball striker of all Greg Stevens in the stand up players group.

Tall Jimmy said chin players shoot at a spot on the ball. Stand up players shoot at an angle.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tall Jimmy said chin players shoot at a spot on the ball. Stand up players shoot at an angle.

Very interesting. Makes sense.

I'm in between, chin up a little. I imagine a truck pushing the OB toward the pocket and try to hit where the truck's radiator cap would be. Anyone else use this method?