S. Daulton vs. E. Reyes 2012 D.C.C.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I think I might try to kick gently into the 13 and try to leave the cue lodged against the six seven. If I hit the six seven first it should still be ok the way I'm going to hit it..

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think I might try to kick gently into the 13 and try to leave the cue lodged against the six seven. If I hit the six seven first it should still be ok the way I'm going to hit it..

I looked at that but was afraid that if I didn't get perfect on the seven he'd have an easy out off the 13. Great if perfect but I'm not quite in the perfect zone (except my ex-wives both think I'm a perfect.... uh..... you know.) :p

baby huey

Verified Member
My man Jeff Sparks always comes up with some doozies. He plays very aggressive one pocket and if he executes his shot its game over for Efren. I think you should fan the thirteen ball and freeze up the cue ball in the stack one rail. Now Jeff is not wrong in his selection and quite possibly Shannon could shoot that shot if he thought he would lose a moving game. The game is early and in my opinion some subtle easily executed moves should be utilized.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I would never leave Efren near the stack in this situation, he can easily kick 1 or 2 rails under the stack into the 3...and with a high % of success.

Getting whitey up table where he has a high risk takeout shot would be my move, and if I can get him on the rail up there, even better. If I can't thinly fan the 13 with a lot of inside english to get there, I'll take a scratch to get there.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I would never leave Efren near the stack in this situation, he can easily kick 1 or 2 rails under the stack into the 3...and with a high % of success.

I'd agree if our shot weren't moving the 7 into the zone also. I think he'd be unlikely to find a viable kicking path.

Getting whitey up table where he has a high risk takeout shot would be my move, and if I can get him on the rail up there, even better. If I can't thinly fan the 13 with a lot of inside english to get there, I'll take a scratch to get there.

Playing off the 10 to long rail - bottom rail from there looks to me like no problem for Efren. If I'm right, you're back where you started, your 10 is now in the stack, and you're maybe on a foul.

On the other hand, your judgment on these is better than mine most of the time, so I'd like to see what your thoughts are about my points. (If Efren can't hit the right side of the 10, my whole argument crashes and your choice looks pretty good.)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

point well taken but what if efren just puts the cue ball back where it was??
p.s. like john said your shot selections show alot of understanding of the game......several balls better than me

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Great point John, Efren would indeed shoot off the 10 and try to get me back there again. My thought process runs along the lines of, "what's harder to execute with the highest % of cue ball speed control?" I've seen top 1P players, and Efren is far better than most of them, nail those 2 rail under the stack kicks with such a high degree of accuracy that I immediately would be expecting to be under the 3 ball on my next shot, with the 3 further away and less of a threat. Shooting from 7 or 8 feet away, and if I'm lucky off the rail, he might not get exactly where he wants and leave me something.

However, if you kick your shot well, and the 7 comes to that bottom rail, Efren is in huge trouble from there. If executed correctly it's a game winner for sure, but that kick has enough risk that it might sell something out. In my experience kicks into the stack are 50/50. If Efren puts me right back there again off the 10 ball, I probably would kick at that point and go for it.

I'd agree if our shot weren't moving the 7 into the zone also. I think he'd be unlikely to find a viable kicking path.

Playing off the 10 to long rail - bottom rail from there looks to me like no problem for Efren. If I'm right, you're back where you started, your 10 is now in the stack, and you're maybe on a foul.

On the other hand, your judgment on these is better than mine most of the time, so I'd like to see what your thoughts are about my points. (If Efren can't hit the right side of the 10, my whole argument crashes and your choice looks pretty good.)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I definitely like the kick into the stack shot and I would hit it hard enough to make something get to the rail instead of taking an intentional. I may make one and get out.

Another shot I was thinking of was just shooting the 13 straight on with follow and put the CB on the long rail behind the stack. I realize he has the long rail bank shot on the 12 he could shoot but if he makes it he is probably 1 and done and if he misses it I may clean up.

On further analysis, I think that's my shot instead of the kick.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'll feather/spin cut the 3 ball to the foot rail and leave it right next to the pocket, cue ball to split the 10/1 gap and park whitely in the middle of the head rail.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I'll feather/spin cut the 3 ball to the foot rail and leave it right next to the pocket, cue ball to split the 10/1 gap and park whitely in the middle of the head rail.

This was my first choice, but without being at the table to know for sure I decided against it. If it does lay right, it's a powerful shot.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Efren would indeed shoot off the 10 and try to get me back there again. My thought process runs along the lines of, "what's harder to execute with the highest % of cue ball speed control?" I've seen top 1P players, and Efren is far better than most of them, nail those 2 rail under the stack kicks with such a high degree of accuracy that I immediately would be expecting to be under the 3 ball on my next shot, with the 3 further away and less of a threat. Shooting from 7 or 8 feet away, and if I'm lucky off the rail, he might not get exactly where he wants and leave me something.

However, if you kick your shot well, and the 7 comes to that bottom rail, Efren is in huge trouble from there. If executed correctly it's a game winner for sure, but that kick has enough risk that it might sell something out. In my experience kicks into the stack are 50/50. If Efren puts me right back there again off the 10 ball, I probably would kick at that point and go for it.

Gotcha.

Thanks.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Another shot I was thinking of was just shooting the 13 straight on with follow and put the CB on the long rail behind the stack. I realize he has the long rail bank shot on the 12 he could shoot but if he makes it he is probably 1 and done and if he misses it I may clean up.

On further analysis, I think that's my shot instead of the kick.

Depending how far you run whitey, if he doesn't choose the straightback you'll be back where you started and either the 10 or 15 will be gone (maybe shootable at his pocket now and not yours.)

baby huey

Verified Member
Shannon plays close enough to Efren's speed to play the game and not be in a hurry to trap Efren. Going up table at this point doesn't do too much in my view to take the advantage. Keeping him in the stack would make Efren play the game like any other mortal.