Thank you, you guys are a great bunch.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm elated to have won the Seniors event, it was grueling but fun. Thanks to Jeff Sparks for putting this together, he was relentless in his pursuit to get this tournament off the ground. A special thanks goes out to the owner of Bogies David Richardson , both he and John Rizzo are class guy"s i'm grateful for every thing that the're doing to give us old timers a chance to relive our dreams, thanks fella's. LS John was his jovial self and he stayed with me throughout the entire tournament,which meant a lot. thanks Mr. Nevin. Bill Meacham also was there for most of the day and night, and morning. lol.. Bill Rowsey was there for most of the time as well, he was a very good "ear man" Hendy and the Barber were there as well, you guys are real pool fanatics, I mean "one pocket fanatics" Yes it was a long and grueling event for both me and Jerry, and Jeremy Jones as well if you don't believe me ask Tom Wirth and Joey A. who both played great in the tournament, Jersey John who also played great was an inspiration to me as he always seemed to notice all the bad rolls I got..lol. which always helps. (just kidding,not) I almost forgot about another real strong player Disco Dave rarely hit a wrong key.(talking about stamina) Great job Dave. If I forgot about anyone i'm sorry..oops! Scott Kitto how can I forget about you you're the only real good player that is shorter than me.

I really enjoyed playing Frank Amanza, Franks a very smart player that seems to shoot shots I don't want him to shoot, he's a great guy and a knowledgeable player. Wayne Pullen was fun to play too, he's very tough to beat and in our first match it could of gone either way I was fortunate to have beaten him. Wayne doesn't look like a player when he's at the table but he seems to be always taking eight balls out of his pocket after the game is over. Wayne's another player that certainly knows the game well, he's a gentlemen when playing, and a pleasure to play.

Jerry Matchin, wow, what a player. I haven't seen Jerry play since Hard Times back in the 80's and I knew he would be tough to beat, and he was. Our match was a classic, we played three sets, the first one went to him 4 to 3, after I took a 3 to 0 lead, he just kept coming back and playing hard, there's no give up in his game what a great attitude he has when at the table. We met again after I played a tough Wayne Pullen and won, and in our next match I jumped on him 3 to 0 again, and then he won the next two games to close the gap to 3 to 2, I won the next game on my break and won that set 4 to 2. The last set we played was a race to 3 which was another close set which I won 3 to 1 but the set was much closer than the score it was a very funny set that every game could of gone either way. In the last game of the set he had a 6 to 0 lead with all the balls at the head end of the table completely out of play I played a very patient game with him in spite of needing eight balls to his two, and it paid off. Attitude when at the table is the key to make the difference when the players are close, I attribute that win to my attitude, I stayed calm and patient and I hit a gear late in the game and caught him on one of his rare down swings..as luck would have it. Man he's tough to beat.

It was a long and grueling match playing Jerry, he's a gentlemen and a very strong player with a very deliberate style, he's tough to beat. I had to dig down deep to beat him, he's a very good thinker and certainly knows the game well. We played a total of 17 games which took us 15 hours to complete, it was a daunting task for both of us I was fortunate to come out ahead. The table conditions changed several times through out the day and night, and then into the early hours of the morning, as so did our speeds. I actually surprised myself with my stamina and patience, I tried to keep an even temper and it worked out well, attitude is the key to winning when players are close. I enjoyed playing Jerry, he's a gentlemen and a very strong player. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Thanks to all who supported me and Jerry, it was a blast, and yes, we do have a great bunch of guy's, can't wait until the next one.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Congratulations on a great match. I watched from 1 Pm EST, fell asleep at 11pm, woke up around 2 am in the last match. It was a great tutorial on how to win. Both you and Jerry made great comebacks several times. It was a true heavy weight fight.

Well played and well deserved.

Phil

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Bravo Dr. Bill on the victory!!

When I got the pool bug 25 years or so ago I remember watching some televised pool matches and you were doing a great job commentating. One of my mentors told me that back around 1970 that you were the best 9 ball player in the country and from what I have read and also heard from others, I believe it. I don't know the name of the tournament but I am told about an hour from me in Dayton, OH you snapped it off and was a true sign of how good you really played.

In any case, glad to see you snap this off and good luck on the next event you play in!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
He's BAAAAaaack!

He's BAAAAaaack!

Amazing.

What a pair of warriors!

you guys are a great bunch.

No kidding. I've never been around a group of people I could enjoy more, and I've never had more fun (well, there was that "girl" on Bourbon Street, but I don't know whether I can even count that since I found out. :eek: )

I confirmed a few things for myself:

Jerry, Wayne and Tom are the real deal. They know what to do, how to do it, and can get it done.

Take away the 12th and 13th hours of the day for Jerry, a couple of scratches each from Wayne and Tom, and they might have finished 1, 2, 3, in any order.

Our House Doctor is striking balls well again. Watch your asses!

I LOVE Joey A's game. I enjoy his commentating; he obviously knows the game very well, but I had no idea he could so consistently do what he wanted to do with a shot. It would take someone smarter than me to find a leak.

My Calcutta record is intact: My two picks drew Wayne and James Christopher in the first round. Each went hill/hill, and could have gone either way. Guess which way.

I know we all appreciate Bogie's owner David Richardson and manager John Rizzo, but it was amazing to see that they think the appreciation should go the other way. We are really lucky to have two guys like that going to bat for us. Rizzo said that of the 24 guys, only 4 or 5 were from Texas. As we know, several from each coast and from Florida as well. I'm betting that by next year Bogies will have a couple more tables and we'll have a full 32-player field with several alternates on deck.

I really appreciate the confidence Hendy placed in my game. Kentucky Bill texted Hendy to ask whether Hendy got the $5000 Kentucky sent to Bogies. Hendy texted back that yes, he had gotten it, but didn't know who it was from. He bet it all on LSJohn! :heh

A final Cardone story I told at the players' meeting. The auctioneer had asked us to identify ourselves and tell where we were from when our names were called. When I was up I said a lot of the guys had never seen me play and might want clue about my game before they bid. I told them Jeff Sparks offered to buy me a drink and I told him that I only drink after I play bad. Then I said Incardona turned away and said -- half under his breath but loud enough everyone could hear -- "That would explain all the AA meetings." %$#@$%$# ! :frus

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
once again bill congratulations on your win and showing the heart of a champion
reading everyones personal experiences makes me want to really try to get out to attend one . although still too young (62 soon 63)to be in the tournament just hanging out with you guys would make it worth the trip:)

keoneyo

Verified Member
You've really proven that One Pocket is a special game where its not just skill but strategy and creativity. That is the lure for so many of the members here. Wanting to expand beyond running balls but taking into account moves and deep thinking.
Thank you for that Dr Bill. You had a great "attitude" and I hope that I can use that example even at this late stage.

BTW your friend Brooklyn Butch gave Wayne the nickname of Clark Kent. Cause he would come in looking like a rube until he put on his superman suit. He would end up knocking everyone out. I know he will come away with some things he learned, particularly from you.

Couple years ago I brought up the name "Baby Huey". People were going "who is that"? But people in Cali always knew that if you wanted to have a good test Jerry Matchin was waiting for you at his room and he could bring it.
Now that we all know him I hope you keep him in mind when voting for representation at next years DCC along with Frank the Barber.

Thanks again Bill. You were wonderful. A great role model.

PS Maybe you can mention to Pat to use JJ as a commentator as well. He did a great job and I learned a lot listening to his analysis.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Congrats to Dr. Bill and everyone who played and/or helped put this event on! :D

I feel like I was a part of it through the stream (thanks BigTruck!) and all the posts on onepocket.org.

Dave

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
once again bill congratulations on your win and showing the heart of a champion
reading everyones personal experiences makes me want to really try to get out to attend one . although still too young (62 soon 63)to be in the tournament just hanging out with you guys would make it worth the trip:)

Yes Larry do come on. I too am not able to enter, but its great fun hanging with them and playin games on the side as well. Get here 1 - 2 days early and you can match up with and have some great fun. You might be lucky enough to play me!

DD

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You've got a lot of class, Billy

You've got that right. After some of Bill's uncharacteristic poor shots he'd be so mad at himself you could see steam coming out of his ears, but after a few curses he's say something friendly to Jerry, they'd both laugh, and on it went.

Two class guys, and tough as nails.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Excellent 1P matches.

Congratulations Billy, well deserved and very well played.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Rizzo Moment

Rizzo Moment

During the Calcutta Frank Espinoza's bid started, he's from Denver and used to back Medina at times. Well............the Bidding started out ($50 increments) and got stuck on $100 which Rizzo had the bid.................weeeeeeeeeelllllllllll the bids didn't increase, so Rizzo outbid himself to $150, we alllllllllllllllll started laughing as ''why would you LOL bid against yourself'' well Rizzo again out bid his own $150 bid and bumped it up to $200, that's the kid of weekend us oldsters had. And before the event started, someone got on the mic and said ''where were you when Kennedy got shot''. Then play got started. I also found Rouseys cue laying next too his door to his room at 5:30 in the AM as I was unable to sleep (bar taquitos). I ran into em at Bogies a few hours later (luggage tag had his name attached to cue) and just moseyed over and said ''how ya doin''? Ok, how are you etc. As we talked I said ''I got your cuestick'' SMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLe and a reboot of attitude IMMEDIATELY. I'm glad I was able to help out a guy that knocked me out of the event. Lookin' forward to next year.

baby huey

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, have you recovered from our marathon yet? I am just getting my legs to work again and I expect my brain will follow in short order, hopefully. I rode back to LA with Wayne and he's in very good physical condition and I know he was still a bit tired as well. You the man Dr. Bill.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dr. Bill, have you recovered from our marathon yet? I am just getting my legs to work again and I expect my brain will follow in short order, hopefully. I rode back to LA with Wayne and he's in very good physical condition and I know he was still a bit tired as well. You the man Dr. Bill.

Our match will stick with me for the rest of my life, that's how much I enjoyed the competition in spite of all the hours we played, it was fun.

Jerry, for a couple of old timers we hung in there pretty good. It was a grueling match but it was fun, love to do it again. It's unbelievable that you were able to play as long as you did carrying all that extra weight and play the speed that you exhibited. Our match was so close that it was only one shot here or there that would of made the difference in the outcome. Your game is as solid as any senior in the world, it was a pleasure playing you.

Thanks Jerry, you made me a better player.

Bill Incardona