Cornbread Red vs. Bugs Rucker 1991 L.O.P. #2

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
On this shot I typically go rail first (long rail) with right spin and hit the ball full. This will bank the ball one rail long up on my side and keep the CB somewhere on his side near the foot rail.

If the CB were a little more to the center and I am playing good I may even try to cross this towards my hole with low left and bring CB around 3 rails towards the head rail on his side.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
They both need one and it's Red to shoot. What would you do?

I would either bank it gently to the middle of the foot rail with a full tip of inside, or kick it long rail first toward my side pocket with outside, but not very hard. On this shot, I think the farther I leave OB from the two-rail corner, the harder it is for him to shoot it and get whitey to a place that's not likely to give up a shot.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would bank cross corner with outside English (LH). You miss the kiss and go 2 rail to the head rail and don't leave a bank. Might even make it.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
On this shot I typically go rail first (long rail) with right spin and hit the ball full. This will bank the ball one rail long up on my side and keep the CB somewhere on his side near the foot rail.

If the CB were a little more to the center and I am playing good I may even try to cross this towards my hole with low left and bring CB around 3 rails towards the head rail on his side.

Red agreed with you:).

cbr shot.jpg

He left it here for Bugs:

cbr leave.jpg

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Red agreed with you:).

View attachment 14663

He left it here for Bugs:

View attachment 14664

Dennis

What I like about this shot, there appears to be NO other better choice that makes more sense, or gives better results. And the fatter ya hit the shot, the more it heads directly towards the upper corner pocket, possibly recreating a very similar return shot. Also, getting the cue ball on the foot rail is relatively simple.
Guys,
Thx for shot scene.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
What I like about this shot, there appears to be NO other better choice that makes more sense, or gives better results. And the fatter ya hit the shot, the more it heads directly towards the upper corner pocket, possibly recreating a very similar return shot. Also, getting the cue ball on the foot rail is relatively simple.
Guys,
Thx for shot scene.

It's a helluva thing watching Red and Bugs play this match. In this endgame they left each other many shots like this and they usually played a safe whereas many of the top players of today would be trying to bank the ball, even bank it to play a safe and put the cueball uptable. They were obviously older and I don't think in the best of health but they did not fool around shooting goofy shots in the endgame. They both played One-Pocket 101.

Maybe the faster cloth on today's tables helps the newer players also.

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
It's a helluva thing watching Red and Bugs play this match. In this endgame they left each other many shots like this and they usually played a safe whereas many of the top players of today would be trying to bank the ball, even bank it to play a safe and put the cueball uptable. They were obviously older and I don't think in the best of health but they did not fool around shooting goofy shots in the endgame. They both played One-Pocket 101.

Maybe the faster cloth on today's tables helps the newer players also.

Dennis

It's not Controlled Aggression, it's "Aggressive Control". Similar the style of Bata. These players are ''thee'' most difficult to beat.