New players

GoldCrown

Verified Member
People getting started. What do you do to improve. Improve meaning understanding what to do. Your stroke, speed, etc. How are you doing compared to 6months ago, 1year? I'm just curious and making conversation. I realize there is no substitute for playing stronger players. Are you at the same level? Have you bumped up somewhat. I'm happy where I'm at considering I have not played many experienced players but I will start this Spring/Summer. I have long way to go and not in hurry. 1P is never ending fun. I'll do the best I can and enjoy the journey for now.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
People getting started. What do you do to improve. Improve meaning understanding what to do. Your stroke, speed, etc. How are you doing compared to 6months ago, 1year? I'm just curious and making conversation. I realize there is no substitute for playing stronger players. Are you at the same level? Have you bumped up somewhat. I'm happy where I'm at considering I have not played many experienced players but I will start this Spring/Summer. I have long way to go and not in hurry. 1P is never ending fun. I'll do the best I can and enjoy the journey for now.

Watch the best players that you can, and play as much as you can. If you can find one or two good sparring partners for you it helps a lot.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Watch the best players that you can, and play as much as you can. If you can find one or two good sparring partners for you it helps a lot.

Thanks Steve. I'm curious how other newbies are progressing and what they are doing. I'm learning from DVD's, YouTube, 1P.org and Controlled Aggression. However I have only x-amount of shooting skills. Constantly have to work on my stroke, pocketing balls and controlling that white thing. I had a few 8outs and that is encouraging....also had plenty of easy shot misses causing a sell out and personal embarrassment. I'd like to hear from newbies how they are doing.
I'm strictly recreational for now.
No $$ or tourneys for the moment unless I can stick within my class. I'll be back in Pa in few weeks. I will have the opportunity to play a few very good level players.

Forgot to mention....My OnePocket.Org T shirt helps...and it literally has 1Pocket:lol

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thanks Steve. I'm curious how other newbies are progressing and what they are doing. I'm learning from DVD's, YouTube, 1P.org and Controlled Aggression. However I have only x-amount of shooting skills. Constantly have to work on my stroke, pocketing balls and controlling that white thing. I had a few 8outs and that is encouraging....also had plenty of easy shot misses causing a sell out and personal embarrassment. I'd like to hear from newbies how they are doing.
No $$ or tourneys for the moment unless I can stick within my class. I'll be back in Pa in few weeks. I will have the opportunity to play a few very good level players.

Forgot to mention....My OnePocket.Org T shirt helps...and it literally has 1Pocket:lol

Main thing GC is to fan the passion, keep the flame burning brightly. There is no substitute for true enjoyment of the game. if you seek wisdom and knowledge in all the spots you have mentioned, you will improve the mental part of your game.

The shooting part needs actual experience at the table. Not just banging the balls around and practicing poor technique, that will accomplish nothing and will eventually lead to apathy and loss of passion.

Take some lessons from a good teacher, one who is a proven purveyor of the game of one pocket and knows how to instill in his pupils the basic fundamentals of a sound stroke. Learn the basics first, then practice them everyday that you go to the table. After a time at practicing the proper technique, you will see improvement in your skill set, and like you said, there is no rush, you have the rest of your life to get better at the game.

Have fun.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Gold crown I have been at this game for 15 months now. I am probably 3 balls stronger than I was 8 months ago. That improvement comes from reading here, controlled aggression, and watching a ton of videos. i also stay in action against both better and lesser players, there is a benefit to both in my opinion. Learn moves from the better player and use matches with weaker players as a testing ground.

I also now have table in my basement that I practice pocketing, CB control, banking, and position play. If I run into a particularly difficult situation in a game I will make note of it and replicate at home for further study/practice.

Issues that I continue to deal with are....
Continue building my internal shot library
Controlling my aggression
Not playing when....
I am tired
Frustrated from a bad day in the office
Low on fuel....food!
These are hard for me because I always want to play!

Hardmix

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Gold crown I have been at this game for 15 months now. I am probably 3 balls stronger than I was 8 months ago. That improvement comes from reading here, controlled aggression, and watching a ton of videos. i also stay in action against both better and lesser players, there is a benefit to both in my opinion. Learn moves from the better player and use matches with weaker players as a testing ground.

I also now have table in my basement that I practice pocketing, CB control, banking, and position play. If I run into a particularly difficult situation in a game I will make note of it and replicate at home for further study/practice.

Issues that I continue to deal with are....
Continue building my internal shot library
Controlling my aggression
Not playing when....
I am tired
Frustrated from a bad day in the office
Low on fuel....food!
These are hard for me because I always want to play!

Hardmix
Thanks HM. My biggest problem currently is playing the same weaker people repeatedly. I do experiment with them...it only helps. Experimenting causes sell out sometimes....The funny thing is they think they won. That does not bother me. What does hurt is I cannot learn anything from them. And it's very interesting watching them take the obviously wrong shots. Sounds like you're on track. Nice to hear you're getting stronger. The beauty is it only gets better. And those good days are a pretty thing. Pool is addictive. It calls us. If pool is a disease OnePocket is the plague.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
if you are stuck playing weaker players for practice only then focus on getting something out of it. Go into every session with a agenda and stick to it. Also watch all of your opponents shots. Even though they are choosing the wrong ones you might see a very different outcome than expected. I have learned several new shots this way.

If you are ever in the Atlanta area look me up

Hardmix

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Main thing GC is to fan the passion, keep the flame burning brightly. There is no substitute for true enjoyment of the game. if you seek wisdom and knowledge in all the spots you have mentioned, you will improve the mental part of your game.

Take some lessons from a good teacher, one who is a proven purveyor of the game of one pocket and knows how to instill in his pupils the basic fundamentals of a sound stroke.
Have fun.

I have the pleasure and honor of Mr Controlled Aggression helping me. Tom has given me a lot to work with. I have not been to any pool rooms to discover my strengths/weaknesses but I will be able to shortly. There are a few players rooms in my area in Pa. I can find a game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Well it is true, there is no denying that no matter how smart you are about One Pocket, ultimately it is still a pool game and you win by good execution of shots and safeties. If you want something to just help with your general pool pocketing, position, kicking and safety play, I would suggest looking into American Rotation if there is a session near you -- for in between your One Pocket :D:D

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
GC, listen to these guys, you are getting some sound advice from each of their posts in your thread.

Thanks for being one of my students Frank. I greatly enjoy working with you on your One Pocket game and I will miss you until next fall.

Tom

GoldCrown

Verified Member
GC, listen to these guys, you are getting some sound advice from each of their posts in your thread.

Thanks for being one of my students Frank. I greatly enjoy working with you on your One Pocket game and I will miss you until next fall.

Tom

Tom. I'll start out with thanks. Thanks for your knowledge, passion, dedication, patience and great teaching skills. You have been, still are the live version of Controlled Aggression to me. I'm so fortunate to be local to you...and would not mind traveling if I were not. You opened my eyes to the game, gave me the tools to work/practice with. I would like to have a better nature talent but I'll settle for working with what I have and doing the best I can with it. To repeat ...I have no unreal expectations. Regardless of my progress and where I'm at I'm having a blast with one pocket (and 1Pocket.org). Good fun is hard to find.
I enjoy being on the playing field. Call me Rudy. I thank everyone on 1p.org for their contributions. OnePocket players seem to be a fraternity. A special group.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
New players

I have the pleasure and honor of Mr Controlled Aggression helping me. Tom has given me a lot to work with. I have not been to any pool rooms to discover my strengths/weaknesses but I will be able to shortly. There are a few players rooms in my area in Pa. I can find a game.

Looking forward to your return Frank. We will make a point to play more this year while you are here.

For me, it's the same as mentioned. This site and wwyds, books, watching matches. And Gambling. Lots of it :).

I am also really doubling up on improving my fundamentals this year. (emphasis on Mental). I bought Mark Wilsons book "Playing Great Pool" and am trying to learn more about my stance and aiming to create a more repeatable stroke. I figure I'll go far towards improving if only because I have such a long way to go 😜

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Looking forward to your return Frank. We will make a point to play more this year while you are here.

For me, it's the same as mentioned. This site and wwyds, books, watching matches. And Gambling. Lots of it :).

I am also really doubling up on improving my fundamentals this year. (emphasis on Mental). I bought Mark Wilsons book "Playing Great Pool" and am trying to learn more about my stance and aiming to create a more repeatable stroke. I figure I'll go far towards improving if only because I have such a long way to go ��

Tank...it's meeting/knowing people like you....it's the friendships we make are the bonus to the game. You'll always be improving. You're all about motivation. You are a fierce competitor. I admire your determination. And Roslie Winkler LIVES:lol

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
New players

Tank...it's meeting/knowing people like you....it's the friendships we make are the bonus to the game. You'll always be improving. You're all about motivation. You are a fierce competitor. I admire your determination. And Roslie Winkler LIVES:lol

Incredible reference Frank. A piece of famous graffiti on a railroad bridge about 5 minutes from me. Very well played!!!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

GoldCrown

Verified Member

bstroud

Verified Member
Learn to bank.

"All banks are push shots" Eddy Taylor.
Learn how to do it.

Bill S.

beatle

Verified Member
your ability to get much better stops with you not being able to deliver the cue tip to the exact spot on the cueball you are aiming at and not know exactly where you need to hit the object ball.

so practicing getting your stroke to return perfectly is the key.

look at all the millions of golfers that cant break 90 even less 80 when it is an easy game. it is just because they havent been able to bother to get their clubhead to return to the ball squarely yet they hit balls for hours and play everyday with a stroke that is bad.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
your ability to get much better stops with you not being able to deliver the cue tip to the exact spot on the cueball you are aiming at and not know exactly where you need to hit the object ball.

so practicing getting your stroke to return perfectly is the key.

look at all the millions of golfers that cant break 90 even less 80 when it is an easy game. it is just because they havent been able to bother to get their clubhead to return to the ball squarely yet they hit balls for hours and play everyday with a stroke that is bad.

Yep -- that sounds like my pool game in a nutshell unfortunately :D