Hustler Bank Shot

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
will someone explain how to bank the 8 ball cross corner in the beginning of the movie. 8 ball and q frozen to each other and the long rail
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4Hbil4PYVj4cbil3cbjq3cbrr@4Hbil4PYVj4cbil3cbjq3cbrr@[/CUETABLE]

Richard S

Verified Member
From
Poplarville MS
Right after the movie came out in 1961, a couple of the old timers showed all of us youngsters how to make this shot on the eight footers at Gene's on Willow Street in NO. Actually, the shot was set up closer to the corner pocket than in your placement. They jacked up on the shot and hit it as high as possible. They made about half of their attempts, if I remember correctly ... it's been over 48 years ago.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
You line the cue up with the butt in the pocket your going to make it in and you shoot high so after contact, the cue tip goes up over the top of the cue ball. The butt is lower than the cuetip, at that kind of angle.

If I remember right, that's how it's done. It was a fairly easy shot way back when, when I used to play and knew a few things.

Is that even close, guys?:confused:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
will someone explain how to bank the 8 ball cross corner in the beginning of the movie. 8 ball and q frozen to each other and the long rail
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4Hbil4PYVj4cbil3cbjq3cbrr@4Hbil4PYVj4cbil3cbjq3cbrr@[/CUETABLE]

lll, As Richard S said, it is a very makable shot, whether its frozen, or 1/16" away from the OB. All you have to do, is elevate the butt of your cue, and skid off the top of the cue ball... after the hit.
I will make it probably 3-4 out of 5 times.

Only an assh**e, uninformed, referee would call a foul on that shot (especially in the old days)

Richard S

Verified Member
From
Poplarville MS
It's something like that ... the main thing I remember was center ball and very high. This was evidently a well-worn proposition shot at the time given its popularity with the "eagle scouts" at the pool hall.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll,

The farther from the corner that you put the 8 ball the more you have to cut it. I never shot this by jacking up. I would lower the butt end of the cue. That way you just hit the bare top edge of the cueball. It's almost but not quite an intentional miscue sometimes when you make it. But it can also be made with a level stroke. The key is making certain that the cue goes past and over the top of the cueball.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4Hbal4PXwk4TaDi3phCN2uDrA@[/CUETABLE]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
lll,

The farther from the corner that you put the 8 ball the more you have to cut it. I never shot this by jacking up. I would lower the butt end of the cue. That way you just hit the bare top edge of the cueball. It's almost but not quite an intentional miscue sometimes when you make it. But it can also be made with a level stroke. The key is making certain that the cue goes past and over the top of the cueball.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4Hbal4PXwk4TaDi3phCN2uDrA@[/CUETABLE]

Attn. Larry,

People from the "Rust Belt Area", tend to do things a little different than most "normal" people..:D

It can be made, as the RBLI described it, (however NOT as consistently) and, you better be ready to fight both your opponent, and/or the referee.

It complicates the shot, and questions of a "push" will come into play...Trust me , the normal approach is best... just like Mosconi shot it in the movie..:eek:

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
This is one of my favorite shots actually to show people, I hit it with a fairly level cue and make it 9 out 10 on a bar table and probably 6-7 out of 10 on a big table. I used to bet drinks on the shot in the bar and let them pick either corner for me to make it in, maybe I will take my camera and set it up and shoot it for you guys. :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Hey, where is your old avatar? I liked the mouse with the giant head.

As soon as I figure out how to work my #$%%$@Q digital camera, you will get to see both of our meece, in the same avatar.
Kathy is pissed that I haven't included her dog Sam, (Samantha)..in my avatar. Actually, they are two FAT PIG'S disguised as Dachsunds.
It costs about $120 a month to feed them, not counting treats, and table scraps.(another $50, at least)

I'm starting to think Micheal Vick might have had the right idea..NOT !

San <---you also may get to see a photo of me, in some stupid, cheapo, Red Wing Hockey Jersey, some real whacko, nut job, sent me for my birthday. He shall remain anonymous, lest someone think he is mentally unbalanced.

He obviously didn't know...I hate hockey !.:eek:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
San <---you also may get to see a photo of me, in some stupid, cheapo, Red Wing Hockey Jersey, some real whacko, nut job, sent me for my birthday. He shall remain anonymous, lest someone think he is mentally unbalanced.

He obviously didn't know...I hate hockey !.:eek:

I certainly hope it has a number on it reflecting your "post reduction surgery length".:)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
It costs about $120 a month to feed them, not countnig treats, and table scraps.(another $50, at least)

Hell, for that money you may as well get this girl. You could save $20 a month. Her shorts don't even fit her. Marilyn wouldn't be caught dead in shorts this loose-fitting. Consult my avatar for proof.

jennifer-aniston1gqC.jpg

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
Fast Lenny said:
This is one of my favorite shots actually to show people, I hit it with a fairly level cue and make it 9 out 10 on a bar table and probably 6-7 out of 10 on a big table. I used to bet drinks on the shot in the bar and let them pick either corner for me to make it in, maybe I will take my camera and set it up and shoot it for you guys. :)

yep its great at the bar and the pockets like to swallow so much, always loved the one against the center end rail and cue ball in line and back cutting it in w/spin.... You ever try the hustler shot length of table? It's about the same in diff i like the level cue w/ a touch of eng with the high. and your right its consistent w/ just a lil pratice.

Fanatic

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Hell, for that money you may as well get this girl. You could save $20 a month. Her shorts don't even fit her. Marilyn wouldn't be caught dead in shorts this loose-fitting. Consult my avatar for proof.

View attachment 316

Dennis,
JA had no other choice but to wear these shorts because the next smallest size was in the childrens department :eek: :D
XOXO

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fanatic said:
Dennis,
JA had no other choice but to wear these shorts because the next smallest size was in the childrens department :eek: :D
XOXO
thats better than looking in the maternaty section and finding everything is too small:D :eek: :rolleyes:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
thats better than looking in the maternaty section and finding everything is too small:D :eek: :rolleyes:

Good thing you quoted her lll, I never would have guessed where that catty remark came from. (Shes still on "ignore") ;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
lll, As Richard S said, it is a very makable shot, whether its frozen, or 1/16" away from the OB. All you have to do, is elevate the butt of your cue, and skid off the top of the cue ball... after the hit.
I will make it probably 3-4 out of 5 times.

Only an assh**e, uninformed, referee would call a foul on that shot (especially in the old days)
You might be right about the old days. The shot is impressive, and used to great dramatic effect in The Hustler. But the shot is unquestionably a foul.

One thing that always bothered me in the movie. How could Eddie and Charlie have had that shot just "come up" in the end game, in order to set up the hustle proposition???;) The answer is: the question is not supposed to be asked.

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
gulfportdoc said:
You might be right about the old days. The shot is impressive, and used to great dramatic effect in The Hustler. But the shot is unquestionably a foul.

One thing that always bothered me in the movie. How could Eddie and Charlie have had that shot just "come up" in the end game, in order to set up the hustle proposition???;) The answer is: the question is not supposed to be asked.

Doc

Doc,

I've shot that shot many times and thought a lot of things about it, but I never ever thought it may be a foul shot. How do you figure it's a foul? I don't see it.

As to how the shot came up in the movie, they call that "suspension of disbelief" in the movie biz.:)

Dennis

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
you sure doc??? always thought....

you sure doc??? always thought....

are you sure on the foul doc? Looked it up in byrnes book, with all the other push fouls in the book and it was not one of them. I was always told this was the legal way to shoot it. Can someone clear this up for us, beard/artie?