What Ball Did I Make? - Revisited

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
stevelomako said:
Damn, you got me feelin a little guilty again with a little bit of logic..........except.......you got one of those as your partner.
But I guess us sick snow dwellers should try to stick together.

What to do? What to do?

My partner is even worse than that...he's a damn foreigner, too...:eek: :D :p

- Ghost

PS, He's lucky he got into Arizona before they passed the new immigration laws...:D

cuesmith

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I haven't reviewed this whole thread, but I doubt Ghost ever suggested his kick was for just any random different player -- but rather only for people comfortable with advanced kicking.

I know Grady did a tape on "Only Kicks" that had a ton of heavy english kicks, but I don't remember if it included two-railers like this.

Well, you're doing better than I am. I've spent at least 45 minutes trying to figure out where he said anything about kicking the ball in. I can only assume that he shot, just missing the 7 ball with left english and made the combination but I'll be damned if I can find where he posted anything about it. The structure of this forum makes it difficult to follow things like this, but I tried everything I could think of in both threads and can't find it.

I did consider the kick I mentioned and the bank on the 4 ball but felt they were both sucker shots. I agree with Steve's shot of banking the 7 into the combination and running the cueball behind and into the stack. I would try to hit it at a speed to possibly leave a shot on the 4 without going through the string where I'd leave my opponent a shot, hopefully.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
PPS, We'll get you softened up for your bank pool match against Freddy...:D

What bank pool match? First I heard of it, although I would like to get another Hall of Famer on my beat list. Short rack only though. If playing Artie one pocket is time consuming, playing Freddie full rack banks would be worse than waterboarding.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
cuesmith said:
Well, you're doing better than I am. I've spent at least 45 minutes trying to figure out where he said anything about kicking the ball in. I can only assume that he shot, just missing the 7 ball with left english and made the combination but I'll be damned if I can find where he posted anything about it. The structure of this forum makes it difficult to follow things like this, but I tried everything I could think of in both threads and can't find it.

I did consider the kick I mentioned and the bank on the 4 ball but felt they were both sucker shots. I agree with Steve's shot of banking the 7 into the combination and running the cueball behind and into the stack. I would try to hit it at a speed to possibly leave a shot on the 4 without going through the string where I'd leave my opponent a shot, hopefully.

Well cuesmith, you got that half-right anyway = the part about the bank on the 4ball...:D

- Ghost

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well, I set up the shot last night and explained the scenario.

A few people were involved and everybody came to the conclusion if they were going to try and win the game they WOULD NOT shoot the two rail kick OR bank the four ball.

Taking the intentional scratch looked like the best way to stay in the game.

Even if he two rails from where you leave him on the balls spotted up towards the ones by your hole he might end up going too low and taking a scratch himself or going too high and selling out. Being jacked up over the balls made it a little tougher to 2 rail the shot.

When you set this up on a real table most of the things people mention are no good. The Wei table is great!:rolleyes:

The end result is...you're in a real bad spot so you have to decide whether to fight and prolong the game or shoot at something to try and end it either way quickly.

Sorry Ghost

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
stevelomako said:
The end result is...you're in a real bad spot so you have to decide whether to fight and prolong the game or shoot at something to try and end it either way quickly.

Sorry Ghost

I never said that I was gonna make the 4 ball. I said I would like shooting it better than the kick. When I set it up I made it the 2nd shot, but didn't make it again in 4/5 more tries, but never left a free shot. When I'm in that position I'm ready to shoot at anything. I would've payed off ( if my opponent made one )and played 2 or 3 more before this discussion got off the 1st page. ;)
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I set up the 4-ball shot, and was surprised that I made it on the first attempt! There is a little danger in where the two head balls might go in relation to the CB, so it takes a care.;) But the shot will be more "friendly" to me now.

I think the two rail kick is a good shot, if a guy is used to kicking two rails with a little inside english. If I were accustomed to the shot, I might take a whack at it, since the combo is a "big ball", as they say in billiards.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
I never said that I was gonna make the 4 ball. I said I would like shooting it better than the kick. When I set it up I made it the 2nd shot, but didn't make it again in 4/5 more tries, but never left a free shot. When I'm in that position I'm ready to shoot at anything. I would've payed off ( if my opponent made one )and played 2 or 3 more before this discussion got off the 1st page. ;)
Rod.
That's the way I see it as well. I involved myself in this thread when I said that I prefer the 4 ball bank over the 2 rail kick. Bruce then said that he would gamble with Rod and I by shooting each shot 10 times each. Which I thought was absurd for obvious reasons. I later stated that I liked steves intentional over the 2 rail kick, but my preference was still the bank on the 4 ball. I realize the good things that can happen for you with the intentional safety, and think that that's an excellent choice considering the way the balls lay. But i'm still banking the 4 ball because I like the odds i'm getting from the layout the way it reads. Keeping this in perspective, regardless of which shot you choose you're still a huge underdog to win the game, and do I think that i'll make the bank? Hell no, do I think I can 2 rail kick and score? Hell no, do I think that i'll have a better chance of winning if I play Steve's intentional? Maybe, but I like the bird in the hand shot, that i've shot a countless number of times with good results. Next??

Billy I.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
If you rely on the kick to eat on, you'd be a ghost too....:) Even a man with a little extra pudge like myself wouldn't hold out long....lol

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
stevelomako said:
Well, I set up the shot last night and explained the scenario.

A few people were involved and everybody came to the conclusion if they were going to try and win the game they WOULD NOT shoot the two rail kick bank the four ball.
Taking the intentional scratch looked like the best way to stay in the game.

Even if he two rails from where you leave him on the balls spotted up towards the ones by your hole he might end up going too low and taking a scratch himself or going too high and selling out. Being jacked up over the balls made it a little tougher to 2 rail the shot.

When you set this up on a real table most of the things people mention are no good. The Wei table is great!

Sorry Ghost

Sorry Ghost?....you know, it would be really good if people posted responses that were matched up correctly to the right past posts, and what was actually said and posted...:rolleyes:...

#1. Sorry Ghost?...where's the Sorry Billy? - oh yeah I forgot, if you're an ex-champion, you and your opinions/posts get preferential treatment from people..:rolleyes:..:).......Sorry Ghost? - why? - no reason to be sorry to me - go back and read my posts - I never said the kick was the right shot to shoot for anybody else...what I did keep saying and still say, is that it's a better choice then the just about unmakeable bank on the 4ball...you see, it's, "Sorry Billy" that you should have said, because he's the one who did say/insist that the bank on the four ball was the right shot, period - and he also said that your roll-up shot was ok, but not the right/best shot to choose here.

#2. I also snuck over to the poolroom yesterday to look at the shot layout when I had more time to study all possibilities, and could shoot several shots at it....cuz when I looked at it on Friday, I only had a minute to look at it/show it because I had a game/appointment as soon as I walked in the door...so here's my final, well considered conclusions...

If I was in a serious game and had to choose the best shot here, I would shoot your roll-up to the stack shot - I shot it 4 times, and 3 of those times I froze the cueball against the 4 and 8balls, leaving my opponent in an uncomfortable position...I think it's hands down, the best choice here...

Last week, I chose to shoot the kick against Ike because...we were only playing for $30 a game, I was up a game, I kick pretty good 2-3 rails, if I hit it I'm probably going to run several balls, and I wanted to see if I could make it...

Now, in closing, and I say the following with all due respect to certain others :)....
As for the bank on the 4ball, I still say, as several others have, including your Detroit crew...that it's a total stiff - highly not recommended...and let me tell you, I can't wait for the DCC, to set this up, so the bank-on-the-4ball lovers can show me how good they can hit it, and how wonderful their leave is...:rolleyes:

- Ghost

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
You guys just give me the word of when the showdown will happen, and it will all be captured in High Definition for all of us to enjoy when I get back and can edit it.:)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
My final thoughts on the two shots in question. The bank was fairly consistent for me but difficult to go all out to pocket the ball because of the thin hit and the inside english involved. In practice without nothing on the line I hit it pretty good most of the times but it did seem to me to be a shot of out character for the situation when there are other choices. Having now learned the shot I would not count it out in other situations but with not so much cut on the the ball I'm banking.

I'm very familiar with the kick shot and have found that if one is not in tune with the equipment it could easily go very sour. The times that I have tried this shot is when there were no other choices or the game didn't have much importance behind it. Most of those attempts have been in other type of games like in rotation and eight ball where that shot then was the only choice. It's even a very difficult shot to hit twice exactly the same. Any time that I have had success with this kick I have considered myself lucky, especially on a table that I'm playing on for the first time.

So in this situation presented by The Ghost I think I would prefer to pass on both of these options and opt to keep pressure on him with one of the other suggestions presented here because of the threat that the combination presents and maybe a better opportunity will present itself.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
One Pocket Ghost said:
Sorry Ghost?....you know, it would be really good if people posted responses that were matched up correctly to the right past posts, and what was actually said and posted...:rolleyes:...

#1. Sorry Ghost?...where's the Sorry Billy? - oh yeah I forgot, if you're an ex-champion, you and your opinions/posts get preferential treatment from people..:rolleyes:..:).......Sorry Ghost? - why? - no reason to be sorry to me - go back and read my posts - I never said the kick was the right shot to shoot for anybody else...what I did keep saying and still say, is that it's a better choice then the just about unmakeable bank on the 4ball...you see, it's, "Sorry Billy" that you should have said, because he's the one who did say/insist that the bank on the four ball was the right shot, period - and he also said that your roll-up shot was ok, but not the right/best shot to choose here.

#2. I also snuck over to the poolroom yesterday to look at the shot layout when I had more time to study all possibilities, and could shoot several shots at it....cuz when I looked at it on Friday, I only had a minute to look at it/show it because I had a game/appointment as soon as I walked in the door...so here's my final, well considered conclusions...

If I was in a real serious game and had to choose the best shot here, I would shoot your roll-up to the stack shot - I shot it 4 times, and 3 of those times I froze the cueball against the 4 and 8balls, leaving my opponent in an uncomfortable position...I think it's hands down, the best choice here...

Last week, I chose to shoot the kick against Ike because...we were only playing for $30 a game, I was up a game, I kick pretty good 2-3 rails, if I hit it I'm probably going to run several balls, and I wanted to see if I could make it...

Now, in closing, and I say the following with all due respect to certain others :)....
As for the bank on the 4ball, I still say, as several others have, including your Detroit crew...that it's a total stiff - highly not recommended...and let me tell you, I can't wait for the DCC, to set this up, so the bank-on-the-4ball lovers can show me how good they can hit it, and how wonderful their leave is...:rolleyes:

- Ghost

You be right. How's this?

The bank on the 4 ball sucks in this spot.

Sorry Billy

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
stevelomako said:

Sorry Billy

That's more like it...:D

- Ghost

PS, As a fellow rust-belter stay on my side willya...that damn Papie, John H., Rod, Clare and Skin are always ganging up on me as it is..:eek:...:D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
stevelomako said:

Sorry Billy

Steve, I see he's got to you with that rust belt chit. You're a man, aren't you?

Billy I.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
wincardona said:
Steve, I see he's got to you with that rust belt chit. You're a man, aren't you?

Billy I.

LOL. The money he sent didn't hurt either.

Sorry Billy

We need to see what Dippy would do.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
stevelomako said:
LOL. The money he sent didn't hurt either.

Sorry Billy

We need to see what Dippy would do.

Pardon me... but the actual phrase is "We need to see what Dippy do"

Dippy do have his own language:D