Top Two One Pocket Players in the World

James Galati

Verified Member
Best One Hole Player

Best One Hole Player

Orcullo has won the last two US Opens and doesn't get mentioned?. I'd put him #1 and Efren or Alex #2.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It is hard to muster an argument that Efren is not the best. While his shotmaking has fallen off a bit (to the point where he is mortal now), his cue ball is still the best in the business. And any game where cue ball position and speed matter, Reyes is going to excel. He routinely has a high command of many shots that other top players will not even attempt, which should tell you a lot. While his creativity and aggressive play sometimes backfire, he still is the total one pocket package. If you are going to beat him, you've got to take him off. He will not hand it to you, and he doesnt go out of stroke often.

The better question is: How old does he have to get to not win titles??? My god, considering the fact that he didn't come over here until "after his prime," and considering the fact that he didn't learn 1p until later Iife, and considering that he only plays it on American soil to take off the cash...you see where I'm going. The man is incredible.

On to Frost: Frost knows the game as well as any player. While he may sometimes be a bit too carnivorous, he has the ability to take anybody off, especially in an ahead set. When he is in top form, he is unstoppable. He runs balls as good as anyone and his banking is excellent. Finally, he excels at all the those little shots that make one pocket so tough. One more - his end game is flawless. His only weakness is really his strength - he devotes all his energies toward one pocket and not other games.

Alex: Alex gets it done the same way he does in all games on the green cloth - shotmaking. He is unequaled in pocketing, typically splitting the pocket on even the toughest, off-angle shots. His banking is deceptively top notch. Finally, his uncanny ability to deliver in pressure situations is legend. On the downside, he will take an occasional overly aggressive shot, especially when the other guy has his pocket populated with balls. But then again, everyone makes mistakes of some type, and I am really just nitpicking. He's an unbelievably talented cueist who can win in any discipline, and has gambling prowess to match.

SVB: Yeah, Shane might be winning, but he has a lot to learn about 1p. However, if he devotes as much time to learning how to move as he did perfecting his cue delivery, he may reach the upper echelons. Problem is, when you shoot as good as he does, you kind of don't HAVE to learn how to play it right - why spend 3 hours moving when you can turn any match into a 30 minute shootout?

Very good little synopsis of the current top players in my opinion. However there are some really good young players (besides Shane) whose games are still going up -- like Justin Hall, Justin Bergman, Josh Roberts along with the OK kids, Gray and Compton.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Oh yeah, and I would still pick Frost and Reyes if I had to pick two. Joyner would have been in there except his game fell of a few years ago and has not fully recovered. Too bad because he was a fantastic player to watch pick apart a rack.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Okay , here we go.

Hall: This kid is going to be tough to deal with. He is young, fearless, talented...he seems to have it all. He is a banking machine, to the point he has wedged himself into conversations involving Brumback and Daulton. His one pocket game benefits from this, quite to similar to Daulton. He has a long, powerful stroke and is not afraid to deliver the money shot. He will mature into a really, really good all-around player. Oh, and he holds up for the money real good.

Bergman: All one can say in relation to his 1p game is that he has wisdom beyond his years. He is very patient, content to keep traps going as long is necessary to collect the accrued interest. He banks extremely well. Like Hall, I do not see much weakness in their games, which is scary considering their ages!

Josh Roberts: 2 words- straight shooter! His piston-like, center ball cueing is crazy accurate. He banks really well and shoots extremely accurately. One pocket might not be his best game, however. In the matches I have seen, it was apparent he was too offensive and lacks the patience to move and get a proper open shot. I would not want to draw this guy in banks or nine-ball. His fast play and deadly stroke would probably leave you in the chair frozen a la Earl. With 1p play on the rise, I'm sure this guy will adapt and be a tough customer.

Joey Gray: only seen one match. He seems to know the game well. If anything, I detected a slight lack of killer instinct that you need to go far in this business. Could have been because he was playing SVB, I don't know. Again, he is young and knowledgeable, so doubtless he'll adapt and go deep at tournaments like the Derby City Classic. I am hoping to catch more of his play in a couple weeks.

Compton: Sorry, never seen him play.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Okay , here we go.

Hall: This kid is going to be tough to deal with. He is young, fearless, talented...he seems to have it all. He is a banking machine, to the point he has wedged himself into conversations involving Brumback and Daulton. His one pocket game benefits from this, quite to similar to Daulton. He has a long, powerful stroke and is not afraid to deliver the money shot. He will mature into a really, really good all-around player. Oh, and he holds up for the money real good.

Bergman: All one can say in relation to his 1p game is that he has wisdom beyond his years. He is very patient, content to keep traps going as long is necessary to collect the accrued interest. He banks extremely well. Like Hall, I do not see much weakness in their games, which is scary considering their ages!

Josh Roberts: 2 words- straight shooter! His piston-like, center ball cueing is crazy accurate. He banks really well and shoots extremely accurately. One pocket might not be his best game, however. In the matches I have seen, it was apparent he was too offensive and lacks the patience to move and get a proper open shot. I would not want to draw this guy in banks or nine-ball. His fast play and deadly stroke would probably leave you in the chair frozen a la Earl. With 1p play on the rise, I'm sure this guy will adapt and be a tough customer.

Joey Gray: only seen one match. He seems to know the game well. If anything, I detected a slight lack of killer instinct that you need to go far in this business. Could have been because he was playing SVB, I don't know. Again, he is young and knowledgeable, so doubtless he'll adapt and go deep at tournaments like the Derby City Classic. I am hoping to catch more of his play in a couple weeks.

How about Skylar ? He banks better then these guys.
Danny Smith is a real force.
You havent seen Compton play, but I give him the slightest edge over Gray I think he is a better grinder.

baby huey

Verified Member
I think there is a big question about whether the two best are for the cash or tournament play.

Tournament Play: #1 Efren #2 Alex

Cash Game: #1 Alex #2 Scott ( only if he has been playing though )

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
7here are some really good young players (besides Shane) whose games are still going up -- like Justin Hall, Justin Bergman, Josh Roberts along with the OK kids, Gray and Compton.

...and Danny Smith and Skyler Woodward and Carlo Biado (who is "young" at one-pocket.)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Okay , here we go.

I have seen him play (1P) many times (tournament play only); he can hang with the top dogs already, and may get better.

Similar talent as Gray but a little more aggressive style.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think there is a big question about whether the two best are for the cash or tournament play.

Tournament Play: #1 Efren #2 Alex

Cash Game: #1 Alex #2 Scott ( only if he has been playing though )

You may be right, but would you really bet Scott against Efren in a big money game? I could possibly see it in something like 10 on top, but 5 on top or less, or race to 10, I'd still have to bet Efren.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Hall, Smith and Roberts aren't looking to play Frost and they can win big but they just aren't there yet but maybe soon enough one of them will play. As for Frost vs Efren, well Scott has beaten him 5-6 times in a row for the money over the past 6 years or so playing even. What does that tell you?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hall, Smith and Roberts aren't looking to play Frost and they can win big but they just aren't there yet but maybe soon enough one of them will play. As for Frost vs Efren, well Scott has beaten him 5-6 times in a row for the money over the past 6 years or so playing even. What does that tell you?

lenny
dont shoot the messenger
i like you and all you do for pool:)
i like frosts game ALOT:)
but i thought him pulling out the jump cue against efren in one of the matches he won was low class
he knows better (jmho icbw):mad:
him beating efren in the past 5-6years
means to me that an efren past his prime isnt as good as scott in his prime
although their games are close
the last match which i woke up at 6am est to be priviledged (thanks ray)
to watch a stream of them having played all night after efren played all day to win the tournament
did i forget to say efren is 60 years old??
that match came down to the last ball
so to answer your question
as someone in football said
you are what your record says you are
so based on the record
scott can beat efren NOW
therefore as of today he (scott) should be in the conversation of the 2 best today
now let me ask you a question
do you think scott will ever be thought of or in the discussion of the GREATEST OF ALL TIME??
let me repeat
i think scott is a great player and his/your dvds are a terrific resource for one pocket knowledge which i own and encourage others to buy ...:)

Henry

Verified Member
lenny
dont shoot the messenger
but i thought him pulling out the jump cue against efren in one of the matches he won was low class
to watch a stream of them having played all night after efren played all day to win the tournament
so based on the record
scott can beat efren NOW
therefore as of today he (scott) should be in the conversation of the 2 best today
do you think scott will ever be thought of or in the discussion of the GREATEST OF ALL TIME??
let me repeat
i think scott is a great player and his/your dvds are a terrific resource for one pocket knowledge which i own and encourage others to buy ...:)

I would like to see Efren and Scott play 8 ahead for $100,000 and I like Efren in that game, play 8 hours a day.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
lenny
dont shoot the messenger
so based on the record
scott can beat efren NOW
let me repeat

Larry, I'm glad somebody had the balls to say what you did about the jump cue. I agree fully. It was very cheap of him. There is only one thing worse than using a jump cue in One Pocket when your opponent has hooked you--doing it when you have hooked yourself.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
For the benefit of those who weren't there or haven't heard (like myself), can someone explain the circumstances wherein Frost used a jump cue? I do know they were actually allowed in the 1p section at DCC a couple years - perhaps it was then? If it was an action match or not one of those years, why did Efren not object? Doubtless this has been covered, but somebody give us a rundown.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Best

Best

Scott is certainly in the conversation, and may be the best at times, but like all the players at the top, they will take turns beating each other. While Scott has won against Efren gambling multiple times, he has lost to others that Efren has beaten.

If I have to pick I would waffle a little and say Scott is the best for the $$ and Efren is the best in tournaments.