Billy, Grady, Freddy & Artie

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
hi fellows, below is a post i listed a couple of days ago. im starting a new post so it will get some new attention. there has been so much talk recently about the proper or best way/stragety to play one pocket. there are hundreds of one pocket players who are very, very hungry to learn more about how to play correctly. if something like this would ever take place you might be doing more for the game than anyone has contributed in the past! NH Steve has has replied and is interested in the idea. i would like to hear your opinions on the idea. i would also ask that all the other members of onepocket.org respond with their opinions and/or suggestions. this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to hear from a few of the best players ever in their strageties on the game. thanks in advance for your imput. keith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi steve, with all of Artie's talk about knowing/understanding more about one pocket than anyone else and his $30,000. challange, i would really like to hear exacly what he knows. however $30K is way out of all of our reach. my suggestion to you is to arrange a "Knowledge Challenge" to be held at this years DCC. maybe you could arrange to have ARTIE, GRADY, FREDDY and last but not least PITTSBURG BILL participate in this challenge. my initail thoughts would be to find a good size room at the horseshoe, have each fellow give a one hour presentation on how to correctly play one pocket. i was also thinking the four participants would put up an entry fee, say $3000. to $5000each. also you could charge an admission fee of say $100. a person to attend the presentations, this money would be added to the prize pool and the winner takes all the cash. naturally there would be judges, maybe 3 of them like NICK VARNER, ALLEN HOPKINS AND JIMMY FUSCO or the like. this could be a major attraction at the DCC! it also would be a fabulous learning opportunity for all of us that seek the knowledge that will improve our game. i would hope that these great players, members of our ONE POCKET HALL OF FAME, would enjoy this unique competition and the knowledge that they would be vastly improving the education of the loyal one pocket community. if this would become a real possibility i would be happy to assist you in anyway i could. thanks for listening. keith

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
sappo said:
hi fellows, below is a post i listed a couple of days ago. im starting a new post so it will get some new attention. there has been so much talk recently about the proper or best way/stragety to play one pocket. there are hundreds of one pocket players who are very, very hungry to learn more about how to play correctly. if something like this would ever take place you might be doing more for the game than anyone has contributed in the past! NH Steve has has replied and is interested in the idea. i would like to hear your opinions on the idea. i would also ask that all the other members of onepocket.org respond with their opinions and/or suggestions. this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to hear from a few of the best players ever in their strageties on the game. thanks in advance for your imput. keith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi steve, with all of Artie's talk about knowing/understanding more about one pocket than anyone else and his $30,000. challange, i would really like to hear exacly what he knows. however $30K is way out of all of our reach. my suggestion to you is to arrange a "Knowledge Challenge" to be held at this years DCC. maybe you could arrange to have ARTIE, GRADY, FREDDY and last but not least PITTSBURG BILL participate in this challenge. my initail thoughts would be to find a good size room at the horseshoe, have each fellow give a one hour presentation on how to correctly play one pocket. i was also thinking the four participants would put up an entry fee, say $3000. to $5000each. also you could charge an admission fee of say $100. a person to attend the presentations, this money would be added to the prize pool and the winner takes all the cash. naturally there would be judges, maybe 3 of them like NICK VARNER, ALLEN HOPKINS AND JIMMY FUSCO or the like. this could be a major attraction at the DCC! it also would be a fabulous learning opportunity for all of us that seek the knowledge that will improve our game. i would hope that these great players, members of our ONE POCKET HALL OF FAME, would enjoy this unique competition and the knowledge that they would be vastly improving the education of the loyal one pocket community. if this would become a real possibility i would be happy to assist you in anyway i could. thanks for listening. keith[/QUOTe Keith You named 3 great and smart players that understand one pocket Not just shooters. And I will give you a little help if you want it.And THat is to ask 40 goog one pocket players. What is one pocket and how do you play the game. And that will help many players. Reading all the different ways to play.And you can take up a collection and give out a price to the winner. That way If their is something free to win you should get a lot of players. And it will be a great contest. And you mite even have them pay a cheap intery fee. And their will be a lot of knowledge and information out on one poaket. And you can do the same thing with banks rather then to just hir one persons opinion. And you will have all kids of different ways to play one pocket. you can even but up a sight were people can call and ask quistions about what the want the answer to. And I do belive you will get new members to join who want to learn. And I keep repeading myself get women involved. Because the need to learn how to play one pocket and open up their minds to thinking not just shooting. I do not how to get the top women to respond. But I am sure someone knows. And women playing one pocket will keep the game alive. And one pocket is a hustlers game even though the play one pocket in tournaments. One pocket will always belong to the hustlers. That is our game. And it is the hardest game to learn and play. And I made my living at one pocket and one pocket corralates with pool hustlers. I hope the have a pool museum before its to late and nobody does it. Before all those great caracters and pictures are all gone. Because the world has lost a lot of great caracters and pictues already. And the desirve to be in the hall of fame and museum. And Rambo had thousands of old pictures of great players and pictures of his time. And if I had the sense I have today I could have gotten all those pictues but I didnt have the sense I have today. And the pictues died with Rambo. ANd got throughn out because nobody wanted them or cared. I got along great with Rambo. I use to go and speeck to him in german. He didnt talk much but he was a sweet old man and very friendly and sociable. And I gave him a nick name Herman the German.God bless Rambo.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Art said:
... I got along great with Rambo. I use to go and speeck to him in german. He didnt talk much but he was a sweet old man and very friendly and sociable. And I gave him a nick name Herman the German.God bless Rambo.
There is another old-time player out of OK with the nickname Herman the German, too. Still getting around, because he came to the Derby City Classic last year.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
sappo said:

hi steve, with all of Artie's talk about knowing/understanding more about one pocket than anyone else and his $30,000. challange, i would really like to hear exacly what he knows. however $30K is way out of all of our reach. my suggestion to you is to arrange a "Knowledge Challenge" to be held at this years DCC. maybe you could arrange to have ARTIE, GRADY, FREDDY and last but not least PITTSBURG BILL participate in this challenge. my initail thoughts would be to find a good size room at the horseshoe, have each fellow give a one hour presentation on how to correctly play one pocket. i was also thinking the four participants would put up an entry fee, say $3000. to $5000each. also you could charge an admission fee of say $100. a person to attend the presentations, this money would be added to the prize pool and the winner takes all the cash. naturally there would be judges, maybe 3 of them like NICK VARNER, ALLEN HOPKINS AND JIMMY FUSCO or the like. this could be a major attraction at the DCC! it also would be a fabulous learning opportunity for all of us that seek the knowledge that will improve our game. i would hope that these great players, members of our ONE POCKET HALL OF FAME, would enjoy this unique competition and the knowledge that they would be vastly improving the education of the loyal one pocket community. if this would become a real possibility i would be happy to assist you in anyway i could. thanks for listening. keith

Sappo,

You've come up with the ideal scenario. However, the logistic's of getting all the principle's together, in one room, would be nearly impossble. I doubt the judges would do it for free. ;) Good idea, but I'd be afraid of "vote buying". :eek:

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Sappo,

You've come up with the ideal scenario. However, the logistic's of getting all the priciple's together, in one room, would be nearly impossble. I doubt the judges would do it for free. ;) Good idea, but I'd be afraid of "vote buying". :eek:

Dick
I am not worried about vote buying or favortisum.We will just have one JUdge Varner.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Sappo,

You've come up with the ideal scenario. However, the logistic's of getting all the principle's together, in one room, would be nearly impossble. I doubt the judges would do it for free. ;) Good idea, but I'd be afraid of "vote buying". :eek:

Dick
I dont want Varner to do it free BUt what he will learn he will have his reward and If he doesnt think what he learend is worth it then the winner wiil give him 5 thousand dollares. BUt I no what he will learn will be worth more then money. Because he is a true learner and student. And I will Tell Nick that what I will tell him he can improve his game by 10 to 20%
and nobody in the world can do that with his game. Because nobody knowes. And whoever takes the chalange can spend one hour explaining the game. And nick will her both sides and nobody else will her it.And only Nick will her what both sides have to say. And he will be the judge. I no nick isnt broke and this stage of his life money wont help him even though he mite want more. But he will no what he has been looking for his whole life and he never had the answer. And all I need is for someone to take the bet. I hope dick takes it because I fell that he is a none beliver. And he seems prety sure of himself that he knowes and that is the kind of person I would like to take the bet from. Not knowing I cannot say. who is smarter the west coast or the east coast. And Chicago is the one pocket and bank pool capitale of the world. And the had ten champions in one pocket and banks and every one was afraid of Chicago because the couldnt win and were scared to go on the soth side of Chicago and play. And California didnt have to many good one pocket players maybe two Marnin And Richie if thats were marvinwas from . Because Oaklahoma had three great one pocket players Hitchcook Ronnie and Tobby. And the were great. And Chicago had Young Blood Bugs Lefty Mexican Johnny Canadian Pet Ron berg Akins Phony Clem Artie. And in Banks THe had !0 Hall Of Famers. Young blood Bugs Mexican Johnny Ronberg Piggy Back Alfonso Howard the Coward Johnny boy Freddy Ray Dooley. And a lot more. IT was LIke Murder incorperated. THats Why Chicago is number one. And its Gangster City too Over all the other Citys . And I no people are going to disagree with that to only because you dont no nothing the onl;y thing you no is how to disagree. And if you dont belive me you can bet on the other side and I will be happy to take your bet.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I dont want Varner to do it free BUt what he will learn he will have his reward and If he doesnt think what he learend is worth it then the winner wiil give him 5 thousand dollares. BUt I no what he will learn will be worth more then money. Because he is a true learner and student. And I will Tell Nick that what I will tell him he can improve his game by 10 to 20%
and nobody in the world can do that with his game. Because nobody knowes. And whoever takes the chalange can spend one hour explaining the game. And nick will her both sides and nobody else will her it.And only Nick will her what both sides have to say. And he will be the judge. I no nick isnt broke and this stage of his life money wont help him even though he mite want more. But he will no what he has been looking for his whole life and he never had the answer. And all I need is for someone to take the bet. I hope dick takes it because I fell that he is a none beliver. And he seems prety sure of himself that he knowes and that is the kind of person I would like to take the bet from. Not knowing I cannot say. who is smarter the west coast or the east coast. And Chicago is the one pocket and bank pool capitale of the world. And the had ten champions in one pocket and banks and every one was afraid of Chicago because the couldnt win and were scared to go on the soth side of Chicago and play. And California didnt have to many good one pocket players maybe two Marnin And Richie if thats were marvinwas from . Because Oaklahoma had three great one pocket players Hitchcook Ronnie and Tobby. And the were great. And Chicago had Young Blood Bugs Lefty Mexican Johnny Canadian Pet Ron berg Akins Phony Clem Artie. And in Banks THe had !0 Hall Of Famers. Young blood Bugs Mexican Johnny Ronberg Piggy Back Alfonso Howard the Coward Johnny boy Freddy Ray Dooley. And a lot more. IT was LIke Murder incorperated. THats Why Chicago is number one. And its Gangster City too Over all the other Citys . And I no people are going to disagree with that to only because you dont no nothing the onl;y thing you no is how to disagree. And if you dont belive me you can bet on the other side and I will be happy to take your bet.

You left off one of the top bankers in Chicago Artie,,,,,,,,,,John Zaksas.

jay helfert

Verified Member
What about New York with Johnny Irish, Ervolino, Jersey Red, Shorty (Boston) and Hopkins. Mizerak could play too, but wouldn't gamble at it. And Diliberto was from Buffalo.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jay helfert said:
What about New York with Johnny Irish, Ervolino, Jersey Red, Shorty (Boston) and Hopkins. Mizerak could play too, but wouldn't gamble at it. And Diliberto was from Buffalo.
Boston definitely claims Shorty -- although you're right, he spent time in NY. I think New Jersey would claim both Miz and Hopkins. Marvin Henderson was from Pittsburgh, correct? Same as Billy Incardona of course. Clem, Donny Anderson and the Spaeths are all from Cinci.

A lot of great players migrated to the big magnet cities where all the action was: NY in the 50's, SF & LA in the 60's & 70's, Then Detroit when The Rack was going strong. But Chicago has had a lot of home grown talent for sure.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Race to 2

Race to 2

jay helfert said:

You are basically right, Jay but in 1977 Miz played Ronnie EVEN one pocket in Baton Rouge, races to 2 for $1K. They played 2 days and broke dead even.

Funny thing is Ronnie kept trying to raise the bet but Miz wouldn't go for it. At the end Ronnie told him he would'nt bet $3K a game if he, Ronnie, played him straight pool. Miz was walking away when Ronnie said it but stopped, turned around and just looked at Ronnie. Ronnie slowly turned around and walked off. Everybody broke up laughing.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
You left off one of the top bankers in Chicago Artie,,,,,,,,,,John Zaksas.
I realy dont no him because I wasant much of a banker to start with thats why Bugs played me 9 to 5 and thats a pretty good spot. Chicago had paul jones banking toney and the had a lot of bankers. I would say the had more bankers then one pocket players. Chip Chaser Johnny Abruso Billy williams Sam Gibson Charly JOnes Gorge Michales
and their were many more but NYork and Ny Jersey were mostly notied for straight pool and nine ball and Chicago was not very high on the sraight pool list. Even though Willy Mosconie wanted to take Mike Stickoff on the touer with him and breack him in to play straight pool and Mike Stickoff was a very good straight pool player. And Willy Moscone wanted vto make him his protasay. Because of all the talent he had. BUt it never happened. And Chicago was ok with nine ball but nnot even in the 50% catagory in straight pool. And the even had a mask marvale going aroud in Chicago playing exebitions. I dont no why the didnt have any champion straight pool players but the didnt. THe best straight pool player was DAllas WEst from Rockford and he was ca great player. And George palwaskie was also a great straight pool player. And the had a old man that also played great straight pool from Rockford but I forgot his name. THe had 3 great straight pool players from rockford. BUt Chicago was always about shot games. And Chicago was in the top 3 in three cushion billiards.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
You are basically right, Jay but in 1977 Miz played Ronnie EVEN one pocket in Baton Rouge, races to 2 for $1K. They played 2 days and broke dead even.

Funny thing is Ronnie kept trying to raise the bet but Miz wouldn't go for it. At the end Ronnie told him he would'nt bet $3K a game if he, Ronnie, played him straight pool. Miz was walking away when Ronnie said it but stopped, turned around and just looked at Ronnie. Ronnie slowly turned around and walked off. Everybody broke up laughing.
I can tell you this when Miz came to Chicago I new who he was and Miz told me that he would give me half the money playing anyone nine ball and he will put up all the money. And he beat 4 people playing Nine ball and we did pretty good. But their were people that new him to so it did make it harder. And Nobody would play him straight pool. He was the best at that time. And Sigale and Craine were right behind him. And Miz was very young and he had his flat to then the were very big back then. But Miz was a great player and he was great at every game.He is also one of the best alaround players. And so was Mike Sigal and Irving Crane. Miz played pretty good one handed to. And This Gin hustler tried to trap me with GOOSE A TAte but he couldnt win playing one pocket. And he was not to got with his moves. He could shoot but he couldnt move. and I told ED Demar to find himself another one handed player. He thought he was going to steal some thing because he hirrd how good Hoose a tate was. But he left town broke. And I ran into him in Detroite because he hustled all over the country playing Gin Rummy. And he played in all the gin tournaments. But he was a pool bug but a real nice guy.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Boston definitely claims Shorty -- although you're right, he spent time in NY. I think New Jersey would claim both Miz and Hopkins. Marvin Henderson was from Pittsburgh, correct? Same as Billy Incardona of course. Clem, Donny Anderson and the Spaeths are all from Cinci.

A lot of great players migrated to the big magnet cities where all the action was: NY in the 50's, SF & LA in the 60's & 70's, Then Detroit when The Rack was going strong. But Chicago has had a lot of home grown talent for sure.
I remember when Bosto Shorty played Louie Campos three cushion billiards 25 poinnts for one and two hundred dollares a game and the played each other for a couple of weeks. And Boston Shorty would dring his gin and soda or vodka and soda and he would enjoy himself playing thre cushion billiards and I dont even no who one. But if I would have knowen Shorty wanted to play Louie Campos I could have got him a 5 point spot but it was to late and shorty played even. And shorty loved watching Cowboy movies and he could tell you all the real names of all the actores it was very impresing. Shorty was quite smart and witie even though he didnt talk a lot. He was a real down to earth kink of guy. And he played all games good and I would take him in all around After Harold Worst Efren Taylor and Mosconie and then shorty. But shorty was a very likeable guy. And he always had a nice smile or grin for you. He always reminded me of a lepracone. He was great And he played his heart out when he played. He was a short man and carried a big stick.