How do you cinch this bank #1 (cross over cross-side)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Of particular interest to me and others, speed and english -- include high or low ball for the cinch. I am especially interested in how you bank this shot if it was say a 9 ball playing 9 ball.

Disregard the red text, that is just a very poor inside joke with Dennis.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Of particular interest to me and others, speed and english -- include high or low ball for the cinch. I am especially interested in how you bank this shot if it was say a 9 ball playing 9 ball.

Disregard the red text, that is just a very poor inside joke with Dennis.

If you make balls and cues disappear and move them somewhere else then you are better with a computer than I am, so go to pool.bz and make the table you really want and then post it:D.

td6.jpg

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Theres 3...

Theres 3...

....ways to play this.Depending on where you want the CB to end up determines how to shoot it.An easy hit with lots of RH english keeps the CB down table.A medium/soft hit no english and whitey goes down and comes back to the middle of the table.Slam it no english and the CB goes up and down at least once so if your looking to break up clusters thats what you'll do.The good guys here make this 8 out of 10 times,minimum.I'll make it 6 times and Im average.Good luck,Jack

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have been cinching this with center too. In the past I wanted to add a little outside (left) on these passovers. But it seems to be a lot easier to judge with a center ball (speaking for myself). I should have put the cb a little further to the right in that diagram, it is a little too close to a kiss using left which i didn't want that, I just want to know how people cinch these.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I have been cinching this with center too. In the past I wanted to add a little outside (left) on these passovers. But it seems to be a lot easier to judge with a center ball (speaking for myself). I should have put the cb a little further to the right in that diagram, it is a little too close to a kiss using left which i didn't want that, I just want to know how people cinch these.

The fact that is so close to a kiss crossing it, means that your options become limited. While the shot can be made with all options, high, low, left, right, and center english, the degree of perfection required in the hit must lead you to choose follow with no english. This will allow you to shoot it at any speed. A 3/4 full hit will get the job done on this shot.

It is hard to pass it with draw because with draw or low with english because the cue ball goes "thru" the object ball slightly before the draw or english takes effect, increasing the chances of a kiss. (center with english, notwithstanding)

When you use follow, the cue ball will "bounce back" slightly off of the face of the object ball before the follow kicks in, giving the cue ball a better chance of beating the kiss. (the cue ball will still bounce away with follow with english, but since you dont need it, why use it?)

Beard

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Yes, great comments. I first noticed varner hitting these crossover with high center. It seems to take a very natural rebound angle that way because there is not too much sticking between the 2 balls. Thanks for the posts :)

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
He...

He...

....hits them high center cause low has a tendency to screw things up by putting follow on the OB which usually makes them go a little long.Not good,cheers,B

John Brumback

Verified Member

Tyler,If you could move the cball over an in or 3 I could tell you how I cinch this shot:p.Your right it does look a little funny from here so lets just say you moved it over.;)

I have two ways that I cinch this shot.My favorite way to hit this would be to hit it with extreme low left and draw the cball over to the side rail below the sidepocket.My reason for hitting this shot like this is that it allows me to take the oball as far up by the side as I can,therefore creating a much better angle and bigger pocket.That's been my secret weapon for alot of years.
(the draw is just to control my rock and kill it as quick as I can,the low left will negate the draw effect of the oball going long and the left will therefore shorten it up.

The other way is with extreme top,(cue "up" through the cball.not down through it) firm,same reason.It allows you to hit farther up by the sidpocket giving you a better angle and much bigger pocket.
You can also hit this shot easy with alot of top left for all the same reasons I mentioned above.Anyone need a dvd?:lol Hope this helps.John B.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Tyler,If you could move the cball over an in or 3 I could tell you how I cinch this shot:p.Your right it does look a little funny from here so lets just say you moved it over.;)

I have two ways that I cinch this shot.My favorite way to hit this would be to hit it with extreme low left and draw the cball over to the side rail below the sidepocket.My reason for hitting this shot like this is that it allows me to take the oball as far up by the side as I can,therefore creating a much better angle and bigger pocket.That's been my secret weapon for alot of years.
(the draw is just to control my rock and kill it as quick as I can,the low left will negate the draw effect of the oball going long and the left will therefore shorten it up.

The other way is with extreme top,(cue "up" through the cball.not down through it) firm,same reason.It allows you to hit farther up by the sidpocket giving you a better angle and much bigger pocket.
You can also hit this shot easy with alot of top left for all the same reasons I mentioned above.Anyone need a dvd?:lol Hope this helps.John B.

I was wondering about that (and yes I should have moved that cb a little, thanks). I have hit this with outside a lot an I have trouble judging it. I tend to come short -- but as you say I guess that is the whole point... shorten it up with english and get a bigger pocket. I notice that is a theme through your banking philosophies -- ie banking is tough so try to make that damn pocket bigger when you can. ;)

At this point I have been having more success with a straight high ball, but I will try what you say and if it is anything like the other advice you give on here i'm sure ill be a convert. :D That high ball usually sends whity really motoring around the table of course.

Thanks all for the input.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
If....

If....

.....I had your stroke John,I would hit it as you described.But without it us lightweights have to go about it a little different I reckon.Thanks for the tip,James

John Brumback

Verified Member
.....I had your stroke John,I would hit it as you described.But without it us lightweights have to go about it a little different I reckon.Thanks for the tip,James

Ok,but I'm only speaking for myself.I wouldn't dare say I'm going to shoot this shot like this and then tell you,you better it not shoot it like this because you don't have a good enough stroke for this shot.See what I mean?;) I call em like "I" see em:lol Thanks,John B.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
From....

From....

....now on your nickname shall be Gentleman John.Do I hear a second to the motion??Cheers,Bob

Last edited: